Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2012, 19:58   #106
BHPian

Outlander vs Pajero vs LR Freelander

Hi guys,

We are looking for a SUV for daily use and some of the options i have thought of are the Mitsubishi outlander, Pajero and the LR freelander..The car will be used heavily in the city as well as small towns/rough areas...not really for sporting, but on the rough roads in small towns in MH ( around Pune )...Also the running will be high - more than 3000 km a month, so I need something which is sturdy and has good after sales service too..the current mercedes c200 is getting too many scratches driving on the rough roads, so this SUV is to replace the merc..

Any other options in the SUV are also welcome..
Old 2nd August 2012, 20:07   #107
Team-BHP Support

Re: Outlander vs Pajero vs LR Freelander

Basically you need something comfortable on rough roads. Since you are willing to go upto the Freelander 2 price, consider the Montero and the Prado. Both are expensive, but both are extremely comfortable on rough roads, they are powerful enough and have Japanese reliability.

Edit - Seeing you use a C class, I assume the roads will not be terrible, but slightly rough. But after the ride quality of a C class, the Fortuner will feel bad. It wobbles around. Thats why I'm suggesting something more plush like the Montero or the Prado.

On second thought, the Pajero too has brilliant ride quality, if you can live with the downsides which are the underpowered engine. Otherwise its kind of like a classic. The Pajero Sport I have not experienced so can't comment on the ride quality, though it would be my pick over the Pajero.

The Freelander also rides well, it is a capable machine and is comfortable. The reliability part is questionable, Land Rovers aren't known to be the most reliable machines and the service centres are less in abundance than most of the other brands.

Edit again - The Prado is 60l ex showroom, more expensive than the new ML350cdi. This is a shock for me too, and goes to show Toyota is really overpricing their vehicles.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 2nd August 2012 at 20:35.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2012, 20:12   #108
Senior - BHPian

Well, you should really bring the current market leader into the picture which is sturdy and has the best after sales service too - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/iipcache/145906.jpg

Last edited by dkaile : 2nd August 2012 at 20:13.
Old 2nd August 2012, 20:33   #109
Distinguished - BHPian

I think you need to narrow down your requirements more clearly. The options you have mentioned in your post are all very different cars. The Outlander may not make much sense for your kind of running unless you are willing to bear the Petrol running costs. The Pajero and the Freelander are priced in totally different segments altogether.

I think you should first narrow down the segment you want your SUV from and then progress from there. The Fortuner, Santa FE, Captiva, New Pajero Sport, Nissan Xtrail all might fit your requirements perfectly and its only a matter of personal choice.

On the other hand the Prado and Montero belong to a totally different league.
Old 2nd August 2012, 20:58   #110
BHPian

So the fortuner is a better and more sturdy/comfortable ride. is it a better option over Pajero?
Old 2nd August 2012, 21:46   #111
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncity View Post
So the fortuner is a better and more sturdy/comfortable ride. is it a better option over Pajero?
Compared to the Pajero, the Fortuner is more modern, is more powerful. The Fortuner is sturdy and reliable, no doubt, but the ride quality is not as good as the Pajero. The Fortuners ride does get a bit unsettled over rough roads, especially for middle seat occupants. In the end, I recommend you TD all these cars and then make a decision.
Old 2nd August 2012, 22:03   #112
BHPian

Yes, will test drive...how is the Outlander ?.. Any other SUV's in and around 20-35 Lacs which will be an option?
Old 2nd August 2012, 23:38   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, will test drive...how is the Outlander ?.. Any other SUV's in and around 20-35 Lacs which will be an option?
Have you considered the Skoda Yeti? There are some really good reviews on the forum if that may help.
Old 3rd August 2012, 00:26   #114
BHPian

I would say go ahead and pick up a Pajero Sport. Its got very good ride, sharp steering and wonderful suspension. The fortuner wallows a lot and long trips in middle and final rows can be cumbersome. If you can wait till the ckd launches in september, expect some very competitive pricing as well!
Old 3rd August 2012, 10:00   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
New Captiva and Hyundai Santa Fe are both very competent cars.
Old 3rd August 2012, 10:59   #116
BANNED

Quote:
Hi guys,

We are looking for a SUV for daily use and some of the options i have thought of are the Mitsubishi outlander, Pajero and the LR freelander..The car will be used heavily in the city as well as small towns/rough areas...not really for sporting, but on the rough roads in small towns in MH ( around Pune )...Also the running will be high - more than 3000 km a month, so I need something which is sturdy and has good after sales service too..the current mercedes c200 is getting too many scratches driving on the rough roads, so this SUV is to replace the merc..

Any other options in the SUV are also welcome..
Seeing that you drive a Merc on a daily basis, the bare basic interiors of the Fortuner, its bumpy ride and no frills cabin will not impress you. Also, since you do not need to go off road, the 4WD too is not of much use to you.

Quote:
The Fortuner and the Pajero Sport are very close but the Sport has a better ride and interiors compared to the Fortuner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnair View Post
I would say go ahead and pick up a Pajero Sport. Its got very good ride, sharp steering and wonderful suspension. The fortuner wallows a lot and long trips in middle and final rows can be cumbersome. If you can wait till the ckd launches in september, expect some very competitive pricing as well!
I second that, however, since your budget is pretty flexible, why don't you take a look at the Freelander? It is well equipped, powerful and will feel better than the Fortuner and the Sport with its features, plushness and handling. Service will be expensive though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
New Captiva and Hyundai Santa Fe are both very competent cars.
Yes they are, but will not 'feel' plush after a Merc IMO.

Someone mentioned a Yeti, and believe me, if the space inside suits you, this car is the underdog of all here. It is available for 20 lac INR, drives like a dream, is frugal, and comes with all the features you'd probably need (no AT though), and has a 4 year/100000km warranty. Perfect for a high running vehicle.
Old 3rd August 2012, 12:34   #117
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The Outlander is a good car, but its a petrol. I know your Merc is petrol, but if the usage is high diesel can save you a quite a bit. Check out the Audi Q3. Its basically a more premium Yeti, and a bit better looking. I haven't sat in one but the ride is supposed to be good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mempheS.D View Post
Have you considered the Skoda Yeti? There are some really good reviews on the forum if that may help.
Why the Yeti when his budget permits its bigger sibling, the Q3?
Old 3rd August 2012, 12:51   #118
Distinguished - BHPian

Of the options listed, I would suggest the Pajero/Pajero Sport. Its a diesel, very rugged and very comfortable on bad roads with pretty good handling and is quite reliable. Do TD it before buying.

The Pajero with its outdated engine, lacks grunt but is very capable and reliable and can be serviced by the local garage if and when an issue crops up in a rural area.

Also as posted above, do check out the Q3, but reliability and easy servicing capacity in rural areas is not what can be found in it.
Old 3rd August 2012, 13:27   #119
Senior - BHPian

Well all these Germans and Mitsubishi have a very iffy service support. In terms of sheer reliability and mile munching capacity, the Toyota has no competition though the interiors will be a major downer compared to your Merc. It has a bumpy ride when compared to say a sedan, but compared to ride quality of other comparable SUV's, this issue has been over hyped IMHO.
Old 3rd August 2012, 14:28   #120
BHPian

Interestingly, i am also in the suv market with simillar requirements as yours like 20-35L budget, 30k / annum running, mild offroading requirements and car to be used around pune, used to petrol luxury car (vRS). After extensive research on suvs from 20-60L range, i am about to put my money on Outlander for following reasons:
1. Provides premium experience with it's features, dynamics, space, ICE, overall finesse. Almost 80% there with q5, x3 at 45% of their prices.
2. AFAIK, service in pune is good.
3. Running costs for outlander petrol (fuel+maintainance) = running costs of europian diesels (fuel+maintainance)
4. All rounder nature: manageable in city with AT and not so big size, good performace on highways with excellent ride and handling, decently capable off road with 4HLc mode, good road presence and
exclusivity, good reliability in the long run( being japanese) with cheaper parts compared to europians.

The downside is:
1. Extremely poor resale value if sold within first 3 yrs. I am planning to keep for 5-7 yrs.
2. Petrol running costs, but, i guess we both are used to them and don't mind paying for refinement and premium feel.
3. Parts availability for accidental damages might be poor, but, i have clean driving history, so willing to take chances, also have spare car in that case.

Hopefully my analysis helps you.
46TheDoctor is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed