Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2005, 19:46   #1

Hi, got some queries!

Discovered this site while I was looking up the Innova on the net. Have been visiting for some days now and am really impressed.

We are a doctor couple living in Punjab, and own a WagonR which we find really convenient for moving around in the city, as we live in a comparatively small town. We have also planning to add another car and had zeroed on to the Corolla and the Octavia. Leanig towards the Corolla as they have a local agency wheras Skoda doesn't . And the backseat in the Octavia is a bit cramped when kids and an extra adult are in the car.

Then came the Innova, we have both test-driven it , and liked it,except for the heavy looking posterior. And we do need more space than a sedan offers, what with two children, and occasionally a driver. Have read a lot of reviews on it and the magazines have gone overboard in praising it. We have even given the booking amount for the topend model in red. We are still not sure whether to go for the diesal or petrol version. We only drive between 1000-1500km per month or less, workplace is next door, so only for evenings out or the occasional weekend getaway.So we could go for the petrol version. But on the other hand the resale value of the petrol is going to be much less than the diesal.

Don't know if this was the right place to post this, but you can forgive me for being such an ignoramus and please tell me where to go, and do "enlighten" me and help in making a choice.. Remember we don't know much about cars, so if you think there's something better to suit us, just guide us.
thanks.
Old 5th April 2005, 19:59   #2
Senior - BHPian

For the kind of driving you'd be doing, a petrol version seems to be a better option.

As for the resale value, i don't think there are any Innovas in the 2nd hand market as yet so, nothing is known about that.

In that class of cars, you can give the Fussion a look but, i don't think it'll be able to match the Innova's quality and refinement.

I saw a few pass by on my recent long distance trip. Somehow, they didn't seem to look as good as they do in the pictures.

Here's a Innova test drive report by Revvmaster. Might want to go through it. Innova Test Drive!!

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 5th April 2005 at 20:01.
Old 5th April 2005, 21:41   #3
Senior - BHPian

hi rheman,
well, i think you should go in for the diesel version, as , like you said, you'll be driving around about 1500 kms, and the diesel version will prove extremely profitable in terms of running costs in the long run ( assuming 10 kmpl for both petrol and diesel versions, with the current ongoing rates of the fuels here in mumbai-42.50 for petrol and 32.30 for diesel-@ 1500 kms a month, the diff. in fuel costs alone are 1530 bucks a month!!). and plus, there aren't many gas stations on the highways that offer petrol and diesel both-mostly just diesel.
also, there isn't a quantum of a difference between the gasoline and the oil burner versions in terms of refinement, and initial performance(acceleration upto 100 km/h, and cruising/ top speeds), and definitely not in comfort or equipment levels.

but as an alternative, you could go in for the endeavour(base model, 2wd/4wd)- i think-no, i know- that almost all punjabis love SUVs ; i know from experience !!

but seriously, if you're going in for the innova, go for the diesel d4d -you won't regret it, trust me.
Old 5th April 2005, 21:47   #4
Senior - BHPian

hey rheman....
why are you worried about the resale value of innova? how long do u intend to keep the vehicle?
In the long term, say 5 years, who knows... the govt may remove subsidies on diesel for privately owned vehicles and that will have an adverse effect on a diesel vehicle's resale value.
By the way, does Innnova Diesel conform to Bharat Stage III?
Going by ur requirements... Innova petrol seems quite well suited for you.
People normally say that go for diesel only if u drive around 3K kms a month, coz then only will u be able to recover the extra cost from the money u will save on diesel. But then again... who knows how long the govt will keep subsidising diesel for pvt vehicles!
there was a thread somewhere about a 2 tier structure for diesel prices... seems like a good idea to me.

Cheers
Amitoj
Old 5th April 2005, 21:50   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron1
hi rheman,
well, i think you should go in for the diesel version, ....

but seriously, if you're going in for the innova, go for the diesel d4d -you won't regret it, trust me.
LOL... veyron, now rheman is gonna be even more confused!!
Old 5th April 2005, 22:06   #6
Senior - BHPian

Innova D4D without a shadow of doubt.
Old 5th April 2005, 22:42   #7
BHPian

Innova diesel anytime dude
the technology available now as far as diesel goes is definetely advanced than what was available when the Indica was launched
so i dont see anyharm for the car in the long run as well
especially since the running for your vehicle wont be much
how much you save in fuel it will surely help you save as much if you have to get anything repaired

so,,,,,,,,,

cheers
Old 5th April 2005, 23:06   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj
hey rheman....
why are you worried about the resale value of innova? how long do u intend to keep the vehicle?
In the long term, say 5 years, who knows... the govt may remove subsidies on diesel for privately owned vehicles and that will have an adverse effect on a diesel vehicle's resale value.
By the way, does Innnova Diesel conform to Bharat Stage III?
Going by ur requirements... Innova petrol seems quite well suited for you.
People normally say that go for diesel only if u drive around 3K kms a month, coz then only will u be able to recover the extra cost from the money u will save on diesel. But then again... who knows how long the govt will keep subsidising diesel for pvt vehicles!
there was a thread somewhere about a 2 tier structure for diesel prices... seems like a good idea to me.

Cheers
Amitoj

hey amitoj, even if at some point in time the govt decides to remove the subsidy for diesel fuel (which i don't see happenin' anytime soon) for pvt. vehicle owners, even then the diesel would be a better choice, as diesels are more eficient than petrols (and performance, well, that's another matter, but the new gen crd-i powerplants kick some serious petrol butt).

and yes, the innova does conform to euro III (bharat stage III out here) norms.

and as for the resale value, well, it shouldn't be of much concern now, but just as a pointer, the diesel innovas will garner more moolah in the secondhand market, anyday.

just how many petrol qualises and scorpios have been sold at the same resale value as that of the diesels???-none!!!!!

Quote:
how much you save in fuel it will surely help you save as much if you have to get anything repaired
ummm......i didn't quite follow you dui......( does it mean that the money saved from low running costs would help in case of any mechanical work/maintenance issues?? if so, that's so true !!).

Last edited by veyron1 : 5th April 2005 at 23:14.
Old 5th April 2005, 23:07   #9
Team-BHP Support

you have earlier mentioned the corolla , why are you buying a innova instead ?
didn't quite get the move from a saloon to an muv !

and how much are you goingto be forking out for the top end model of the innova ?

manson .
Old 5th April 2005, 23:32   #10
BHPian

Innova Diesel
check out the Fusion too, but you will stick to innova im sure
Old 5th April 2005, 23:38   #11
Senior - BHPian

agreed!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron1
hey amitoj, even if at some point in time the govt decides to remove the subsidy for diesel fuel (which i don't see happenin' anytime soon) for pvt. vehicle owners, even then the diesel would be a better choice, as diesels are more eficient than petrols (and performance, well, that's another matter, but the new gen crd-i powerplants kick some serious petrol butt).
hmm... yeah wot u said is right indeed. how much is the price diff between diesel and petrol versions? is his usage enough to go in favour of diesel? these are actual questions and not counterpoints... by the way.

also, wot about other options? wot about chevy tavera?

Amitoj
Old 6th April 2005, 00:16   #12
Senior - BHPian

hi amitoj,
there isn't that much difference between the petrol and diesel versions of the innova-the top end "v" variants of the petrol and diesel innova differ by about 60,000 rupees, with the diesel being dearer. but that difference will easily be made up in terms of running costs (according to his usage, the diff. in the fuel price alone runs to almost 20,000 per annum- the initial price diff. can be made up in 3 years flat, with just the fuel costs alone!!) and resale value.

and yes, the tavera is a good option, but when compared to the innova, it seems a generation old, to be precise. but yes, it definitely outruns the qualis in terms of value and other stuff like F.E, etc, but the qualis isn't in the picture anymore, so...
Old 6th April 2005, 00:41   #13
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Considering the running, which is too less, I think you're better off with the petrol. Although, the resale would be better on the diesel.
Quote:
and plus, there aren't many gas stations on the highways that offer petrol and diesel both-mostly just diesel.
In such a scenario, its better to have adulterated petrol rather than adulterated diesel for D-4D engine. I'm sure you'll agree with me that these engines are very much sensitive to fuel quality & bad fuel can have quite disastrous results.
Old 6th April 2005, 10:14   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rheman
We are still not sure whether to go for the diesal or petrol version. We only drive between 1000-1500km per month or less, workplace is next door, so only for evenings out or the occasional weekend getaway.So we could go for the petrol version. But on the other hand the resale value of the petrol is going to be much less than the diesal.
Hey rheman

Let's do some quick math. To drive a diesel economically, you need to daily cover a minimum of 70 kms. This means around 2000 kms a month, minimum. Also remember, diesels are rather expensive to maintain in terms of service schedules being shorter as well as comparable parts being more expensive. Which leaves me with no reason why you should be picking up the Innova D4D especially when you will be doing half the required driving.

Don't worry about fuel prices 5 years or X years from now. It really doesn't matter, since clearly your savings in a diesel in running costs should be substantial provided you do the required mileage.

The Petrol Innova is a stonker. Top speed of 180 kmph and power rated at 136 hp. But more than that getting an average of 10 kmpl isn't all that difficult... rather de rigeur.

My suggestion, if resale value is a priority, go for a Honda City since the Innova Diesel's maintenance costs will negate the slightly better resale value it has over the Petrol. Otherwise, head to the nearest Toyota dealer and cut a cheque for a Petrol Innova. The call is clearly yours.

Revvmaster

Last edited by Revvmaster : 6th April 2005 at 10:16.
Old 6th April 2005, 10:55   #15
BHPian

hi Rheman,

I went through the same dilema a couple of months back.
I did not quite want a sedan and i already had Fiat palio doing very well.
I needed a sturdy MUV to take my kid and wife out in the week ends.
Test Drove Innova extensively. great engine, very roomy but Like you said the posteriors were too huge and had a high roll when i was driving.
I also test drove the Fusion. Fusion had a proven engine, good torque and very roomy and looked like a bigger hatch. I was also looking for a sturdy Body with anti locking brakes
I pondered and bought a high end Fusion+.

The fusion has a great 1.6 litre Duratec engine, has more sturdier body which gives a very Good Road Grip. It gives me about 14kms inside the city with the A/C on and gives more than 18kmpl in the highways. It has got a very good steering control too and in case of any accident, I will definitely be able to walk away from my car. The toyota Innova did not inspire that confidence.

When i considered buying a MUV, I threw all the reputation of the manufacturers and judged it purely by how the vehicles were built in India and to indian conditions. I did not want a caravan but a modern looking hatch/Sedan. Sadly the build quality of Toyota is not that exceptional.

take a test drive of both Innova and Fusion+, see how they perform against your expectations and your need. I guess both are extremely good vehicles

Most Viewed