Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2008, 12:24   #76
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
since how many years do you know me buddy? and what do you know about my driving experience with the safari?
i have been driving the TCIC safari since years (pic attached is of my 2.0 safari on way to karanataka from mumbai) and later the 2.2, so i do know about it.
Why are you bringing in a discontinued model into the discussions? Just for the heck of it?

As far as the 2.2 is concerned, I repeat my statement again -
Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Raj, you are once again generalizing without having adequate driving experience of the Safari in congested city conditions.
How many kilometers of CITY driving have you done in the 2.2 to make that generic statement? Probably almost as much as I have done long-distance in the Scorpio CRDE. But I don't think I've driven enough to make sweeping statements about the Scorpio.

Quote:
i have not driven the ANHC A/T, so unlike some here, i do not post great opinions on the cars i have not driven or even sat!
So you've driven the Magnum & the Verna extensively enough to recommend them along side the Scorpio???

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Safari and Scorpio apart. I am seeing a couple of Sumo Grandes. They look better in flesh than they do in the brochures or press photos.
Yes, but they do need larger alloys & rubber to look really good

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post
I was reading thro the complete thread before jumping into the war-zone.
Ramkya1, no offense but in that case, you would know that this thread was not a war zone initially. The thread starter wanted an opinion on Safari driveability in city traffic conditions. He did not ask if the Scorpio was better than the Safari in the city.

However, the usual suspect jumped into the thread, tore the Safari to bits, threw in the Magnum & the Verna - and then expected all the Safari owners/ex-owners/fans to keep quiet. LOL. Lets just say that the script got rewritten a bit thereafter.

Last edited by suman : 3rd December 2008 at 12:40.
Old 3rd December 2008, 12:35   #77
BANNED

breezydrive, any large vehicle can be comfortably driven in the city once you get used to the dimensions. You will be surprised at how an SUV can shrink around you after a week of ownership.

However, you will have to bear in mind:
the large turning radius, which makes tight turns into parking lots exactly that - tight.
Also, it is very easy to hold traffic up on either side should you desire to make a U turn on a 2-lane road
Rear visibility will be poor - even with aftermarket fitments - these will reduce the issue but not eliminate it.

Question for yourself is - why do you want to buy an SUV?
Old 3rd December 2008, 12:42   #78
Senior - BHPian

After going to the entire thread, I would like to add my experience and opinion.
My everyday vehicle is a bike, but I drive Maruti 800 in city and ocassionally Baleno.

I was compelled to drive Safari 3.0 in A'bad traffic and around 80 kms highspeed highway drive. What I found out is this:
1) The engine has a powerband that is narrower that what I thought. But here the thread starter is looking for 2.2, so not an issue.

2) The seating position is very high. Good in bumper to bumper traffic where visibility matters, but not for high speed driving.

3) Reversing is a problem. And making U-turns is an issue. When someone takes long to take a U turn on the road, I dont like and is an inconvenience to me, so when I am doing the same, others are also at inconvenience.

4) Ride quality is excellent. Seats are good. I am 5'10" 90-92kg.

5) Clutch is bad. Dont know more about 2.2.

I think the major problem of powerband and clutch is solved in 2.2.
My father has test driven both Scorpio and Safari, and found that both of them are not really refined vehicles as compared to sedans. But out of the two, he told me Scorpio is good if only city driving is to be done.

Please note that the cars I mostly drive are Maruti 800 and Baleno. I love wider powerband and free revving engines, cars that handle and brake well.
Old 3rd December 2008, 13:09   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
What infuriated you? The fact that i asked about which SUV you would suggest and elaborate why?! Don't have such a short fuse dude! If you are entitled to your opinion, so is everybody else. And the post of people wasn't directed at you, it was a general one cause as you may be aware, it does happen! So plz don't get a guilty conscience. Peace out.
as i said, i dont mind elaborating on whatever i said.
but if you claim that the post about the thread was not for me, well and good, i so so so badly misunderstood you buddy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
My friend, my post which you claim infuriated you was a general comment but if you feel offended by it, it shows that you have a feeling of self guilt. Maybe you realise that you have been trying to force your opinion on others and thus the feeling of guilt?

As far as your personal opinion is concerned, its most welcome and everyone appreciates it, but if you are only willing to say Scorpio is good and Safari is bad and at the same time, you try to compare the Scorpio to a Verna and Magnum, then just like you have an opinion, others (including me) have it too. You need to reflect back and see what you have been upto before accusing others of wrong doing.
just tell me the number of times i should repeat that i am not trying to compare the verna/magnum with scorpio/safari. i'll do that and hope you will be fine. breezydrive is not just looking at SUVs and this is the third time i have said that.
moreover, i have never pinpointed or even challenged anybody's opinion in this thread, you can go through the thread. its only when my comment was quoted and anything said/asked about it, i replied. i have never commented on anybody's opinions here sir!

Quote:
Why are you bringing in a discontinued model into the discussions? Just for the heck of it?

As far as the 2.2 is concerned, I repeat my statement again -

How many kilometers of CITY driving have you done in the 2.2 to make that generic statement? Probably almost as much as I have done long-distance in the Scorpio CRDE. But I don't think I've driven enough to make sweeping statements about the Scorpio.

So you've driven the Magnum & the Verna extensively enough to recommend them along side the Scorpio???

Yes, but they do need larger alloys & rubber to look really good

Ramkya1, no offense but in that case, you would know that this thread was not a war zone initially. The thread starter wanted an opinion on Safari driveability in city traffic conditions. He did not ask if the Scorpio was better than the Safari in the city.

However, the usual suspect jumped into the thread, tore the Safari to bits, threw in the Magnum & the Verna - and then expected all the Safari owners/ex-owners/fans to keep quiet. LOL. Lets just say that the script got rewritten a bit thereafter.
1) that was not to compare bro, but to show that when i started driving the safari. that was years back.

2) sadly, i have not kept the log of kms done on my 2.2 safari, by the way, have you driven the mHawk as much as i have driven it. i am sure that i must have driven the 2.2 safari more than you have driven the 2.2 scorpio. i remember you saying that you wont even bother for a TD in the 2.2 scorpio. so if you have not driven it, how can you say that safari is better than it in city?

3) yes, i have driven the verna enough to comment about it. i used to work in GM, so i am sure i have driven the magnum enough to comment about it too.

4) please point out where did i "tore the safari into bits"? yes, breezydrive has asked whether the safari is good for city. i said no. tejas asked which other cars are better- i replied verna, scorpio and magnum. where has breezydrive mentioned that his choice is only and only safari. why is he considering the xylo and linea then?
Old 3rd December 2008, 13:10   #80
Senior - BHPian

@ hrag, aaggoswami and ramkya: kudos buddy for that frank opinion. you have achieved a GREAT thing!!!

EDIT: adding himanshu to the list!

Last edited by raj_5004 : 3rd December 2008 at 13:26.
Old 3rd December 2008, 13:14   #81
Senior - BHPian

IMHO, between the safari and scorp. the scorp is certainly better for city driving, given its more compact dimensions and better LE torque.

however, i have never felt my 3.0 safari to be a pain in city traffic, it is a pain only while parking in Hyderabad's stupidly designed parking lots in shopping malls.

if anything, the safari is quite easy to drive on city roads because autos and cabbies dont mess with you and give you a wide berth (am sure this is the case with Scorp as well, but I have not driven it enough in cities to comment)
Old 3rd December 2008, 13:21   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
tejas asked which other cars are better- i replied verna, scorpio and magnum.
Just a quick clarification: in reply to your earlier post i ask which SUV you thought was better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004
SUVs are easier to drive in city but not all SUVs.

Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl
Could you please elaborate which Indian SUV you find better to drive in the city as compared to the safari and why?
Old 3rd December 2008, 13:24   #83
Senior - BHPian

so tejas, out of verna, magnum and scorpio, breezydrive can select any as he is not insisting on a SUV. he started this thread right?

Last edited by raj_5004 : 3rd December 2008 at 13:25.
Old 3rd December 2008, 13:26   #84
Senior - BHPian

Is the Innova out of your equation?!
Old 3rd December 2008, 13:26   #85
BHPian

This thread is not going anywhere.

@Mods: Time for a clean-up?
Old 3rd December 2008, 13:47   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
2) sadly, i have not kept the log of kms done on my 2.2 safari, by the way, have you driven the mHawk as much as i have driven it. i am sure that i must have driven the 2.2 safari more than you have driven the 2.2 scorpio. i remember you saying that you wont even bother for a TD in the 2.2 scorpio. so if you have not driven it, how can you say that safari is better than it in city?
Raj, I'm not saying A is better or B is better. I'm asking you how you are dismissing the in-city driveability of the Safari (which all Safari owners are mentioning) as being completely false. Also, either you didn't read my post or you didn't understand; please see highlighted portion below -
Quote:
Probably almost as much as I have done long-distance in the Scorpio CRDE. But I don't think I've driven enough to make sweeping statements about the Scorpio.
Not the MHawk but the one that is known as the CRDE. Not the 2.2 but the 2.6.

And in case you didn't get my drift - I've driven the 2.6 CRDE SLX long distance and for enough time to form an impression about its capabilities. However, I think that its not long enough to give my opinions on all its capabilities when compared to, say, an owner (and I'm not talking about cousins, long distance relatives etc but actual owners) who lives with it on a daily basis.

Last edited by suman : 3rd December 2008 at 13:48.
Old 3rd December 2008, 14:08   #87
Team-BHP Support

Note from mod: Thread closed
Old 4th December 2008, 10:55   #88
Team-BHP Support

Thread reopened on OPs request, please keep it civil
Old 4th December 2008, 16:09   #89
Senior - BHPian

breezydrive, where are you?
lots has happened after your post but not heard any updates from your side.
Old 4th December 2008, 21:00   #90
BHPian

Thanks tsk for opening the thread!

Guys, Y'day night I wrote this:

@Tsk, can you allow this post to be added to the thread since I was extremely busy in Mumbai. I've just arrived back after a 3day long stint (in connection with whatever happened there recently). Wanted to reply but found the thread as closed.

@ everyone who's replied : Sorry guys, I've gone through all the posts only now & want to say thanks for your frank opinion.

@ gd1418 :One of the best replies, that your wife does not want to drive any other vehicle now -answers my question.

Still no clues about GX version?

Not only this but on various threads certain posts indicate a sense personal war among few bhpians, which is really bad. Instead, we should fight with issues like terrorism

As sensible & knowledgable individuals we form such a beautiful community, for which we should be proud of ourselves.

So, let's be true to ourselves & restrict the content of posts as per requirement of a thread rather than my car Vs your car.

Cheers!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks