Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2008, 15:15   #16
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Well, off the cuff, I think the 2.2 scores over the 3 in the following areas -
  • Pick up & bhp
  • Engine refinement - sounds smoother.
Apart from that - no idea. In my truck, some of the things I really love (compared to the 2.2) -
  • The Grille
  • The Spare Wheel Cover
  • The Endless 3rd gear
Truly said Suman.

The 3 ltr is more of a hunk than the feminine 2.2 ltr(no offences to the 2.2 owners)

Although the pick up thing what you've mentioned, AFAIC seems to be better in power delivery compared to the 2.2 DICOR.

Himanshu, Keep your 3 ltr, i understand how you are feeling, i too travel in the same boat. Theres no point in owning a 4x4 unless you are inclined towards offroading.
Old 23rd December 2008, 15:33   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
There's a kind gentleman selling his 3.0 VX 4x4 done 40K - details available at Prerana OMR Bangalore. Why? He wants initial pick-up and doesn't care about anything else - he's buying a 2.2.
That's incredible! But I guess it takes all types.......
Old 23rd December 2008, 16:22   #18
Senior - BHPian

Rent a Jeep when in need

Get 2.2's grill and wheel cover.
Old 23rd December 2008, 17:00   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Get 2.2's grill and wheel cover.
I am sure you meant that as a joke....

But on the whole, based on the replies I have been getting, I too feel it is better for me to retain my 3.0 L truck. I just cant seem to get myself to let go of it in favour of a 2.2

As to the person in Bangy who is selling the 3.0 just for better initial pick up, () Hrishi please point him towards an Optra magnum.... tell him not to demean the Safari (or any other SUV for that matter) in this manner
Old 23rd December 2008, 17:10   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
I love my safari LX 3.0- the engine is a big brawny brute. in contrast, though the 2.2 is more refined, it does not have linear power delivery and feels a bit wimpish to me (no offense 2.2 owners, just IMHO).

so, keeping the financials aside, do you think it makes sense to trade in the 3.0 for a 2.2?

I am not sure if you have made up your mind, but IMHO, shift to 2.2. The 3.0 has insanely short power band. The high top gear means that it can cruise at 130-140 kmph for days on days if the good roads are available. Great curiser, but I seriously dont know how people manage to drive the 3.0 in city start stop environment.

The 2.2 is much more civilized and better to drive.

PS : The above post is just what I think and felt about the 3.0. No offense meant to any 3.0 and 2.2 owner.
Old 23rd December 2008, 17:19   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm an ex3.0 owner who has also driven a friend's 2.2. Except for the initial pickup, i preferred the 3.0 in comparison. The turbo kicking in is very noticeable and the kick when it does is just lovely! And as someone said, the 3rd gear is endless and convenient!
Old 23rd December 2008, 17:22   #22
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
The 3.0 has insanely short power band.
You're absolutely right. It is insane.
3000 rpm in 3rd gear gets you to 100 kph - madness. What was Tata thinking?
Old 23rd December 2008, 17:38   #23
Senior - BHPian

3.0 is history, 2.2 is what is available now. There's no point in debating over what may have been, lets move on.

The question for Himanshu is whether he should sell his 3.0 and go for a 2.2 just for the 4WD. For that purpose alone, the loss he will incur is not worth it.

Perhaps he should sell his 2.2 and pick up that 3.0 VX 4x4 that someone here was talking about - wouldnt that be a great move ? Depreciation on the VX + 4x4 variant will be much higher than what he would lose on the resale of his LX, so he would book a notional gain by that move.
Old 14th January 2009, 15:34   #24
BANNED

May / may not be relevant here.

There's a Safari 2.2 undergoing conversion from 4x2 to 4x4 at Prerana, OMR Bangalore. The cost, as I was told, works out to upward of 3 lakhs.

I didn't go into details as it was late and the workshop was shutting down when I picked up my Safari from the 55K routine service. Makes so much more sense to just get that 4x4 version when buying.
Old 14th January 2009, 17:56   #25
Senior - BHPian

Himanshu stick with the 3.0, just for the 4x4 i don't think you need to change the vehicle which is a real gem of a vehicle.

3.0 is my favourite with the delivery of the engine on a long run and i had planned to go for a 3.0L instead of the 2.2L but my bro opted for the 2.2L.

Stay glued with the 3L and and that's a real King
Old 15th January 2009, 01:39   #26
abk
BHPian

I corroborate views of most BHPians advising Himanshu to stay on with the old Safari. It also appears sensible as cited by Steeroid. However, I would just add that based on the ownership reports and problems reported on TBHP it seems the new Safari may be more prone to niggles (some may be exceptionally severe!).

I love the twin headlamps of the old safari the most

Last edited by abk : 15th January 2009 at 01:40. Reason: grammatical error!
Old 16th January 2009, 00:53   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abk View Post
I corroborate views of most BHPians advising Himanshu to stay on with the old Safari. It also appears sensible as cited by Steeroid. However, I would just add that based on the ownership reports and problems reported on TBHP it seems the new Safari may be more prone to niggles (some may be exceptionally severe!).

I love the twin headlamps of the old safari the most
He's talking about the 3.0 dicor (old safari). It didn't have the twin headlights. It has the same lights as the 2.2. Just the grill has changed.
The model prior to this one had the twin lights.
Old 16th January 2009, 10:08   #28
Senior - BHPian

IMHO, the 3.0 SAFARI was a guinea pig. TATAs were developing a 2.2, and that was getting delayed for awhile. Some smart Alec at TATA thought they'll shoe-horn the 407 engine into the SAFARI in the meantime with some experimentation with the BOSCH common-rail.

Please upgrade, if you are not convinced, then make a round of the used car dealers, there are so many 3.0s up for sale, and they are going for a song. Don't hold onto it like people holding onto falling shares, the bleeding will only get worse.

Last edited by TheARUN : 16th January 2009 at 10:08. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 16th January 2009, 10:16   #29
Senior - BHPian

guys, thanks for the thoughts and suggestions.

after much deliberations and discussions offline with some BHPians, and extensive drives of various 2.2s (including my friends 4x4 EX) I have reached a conclusion that trading in the 3.0 for a 2.2 may not be the smartest move.

As regards the 3.0 being a guinea pig, Arun, I tend to disagree. there is absolutely no similarity between teh two engines, so the learnings from the 3.0 would not go a long way in the 2.2. these are both reasonable powerplants in their own rights with teh 2.2 more suited for city drives and the 3.0 being an incomparable tourer.

Cheers

Himanshu
Old 16th January 2009, 11:09   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
You're absolutely right. It is insane.
3000 rpm in 3rd gear gets you to 100 kph - madness. What was Tata thinking?
every other car does that, i would ask what was TATA thinking when they adopted such a tall gearing for this engine? what were they thinking when they plonked a tempo engine coupled with some high end delphi systems in a 12 lakh SUV?

himanshu, i guess you have made up your mind, but i still advise you to go for the 2.2 safari. atleast the engine feels like is meant for passenger cars.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed