Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2009, 11:20   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

@Himanshu, Steer & Hrishi are the guys who speak out of experience here. Also valid points from Vid & JK.

Question:
Do you really want to give up the 3.0, which has been run-in with care, tended to, and settled ?

This is also the reason why I do not think of giving my truck, even if it's only a TCIC & 4x2, without the refinement that other trucks can give.

Do remember the beating a vehicle can take during an off-roading stint. Check the threads on maintenance pre & Post off-roading.

It makes a lot more sense to keep the off-roading off your primary drive, esp if you are going to keep the truck for a longer time. Suggest you dont touch the 3.0, but search for a decent 4x4 jeep / Gypsy. Have a cake, and eat one too !
Old 16th January 2009, 11:55   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
what were they thinking when they plonked a tempo engine coupled with some high end delphi systems in a 12 lakh SUV?
Dont want to start yet another Safari vs Scorp battle here, but IIRC, even the scorp 2.6 engine was a modified tractor engine.

Quote:
himanshu, i guess you have made up your mind, but i still advise you to go for the 2.2 safari. atleast the engine feels like is meant for passenger cars.
I know this may sound stupid, but that is precisely the reason I am shying away from the 2.2. I am one of those rare breeds who believe that an SUV should feel like an SUV and a big grunting diesel is part of the charm.

heck, if the 3.0 4x4 was available new today, I would not think twice before going in for it.
Old 16th January 2009, 12:02   #33
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
Dont want to start yet another Safari vs Scorp battle here, but IIRC, even the scorp 2.6 engine was a modified tractor engine.

I know this may sound stupid, but that is precisely the reason I am shying away from the 2.2. I am one of those rare breeds who believe that an SUV should feel like an SUV and a big grunting diesel is part of the charm.

heck, if the 3.0 4x4 was available new today, I would not think twice before going in for it.
with you totally. 3L has that SUV feel, and does not consists of the niggles faced by the new 2.2 L Dicor's.

Some day TATA's will get the 3L DICOR and 180 bhp, that'll be the day, i'll think of going for another Safari
Old 16th January 2009, 15:00   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Very well said Himanshu, it was your thread so I had held back from answering, you've echoed my thoughts. Great Men think alike (or is it Fools seldom differ )

Why buy a SUV if you need "car" like characteristics is beyond me? But to each his own.....

Last edited by suman : 16th January 2009 at 15:07.
Old 16th January 2009, 18:14   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

did i even mention scorpio in my post buddy? why is it that when some see 'raj_5004' in a safari thread, they assume i am comparing the scorpio and safari. have i even mentioned anything about the scorpio in my post?

you are not at all sounding stupid, everybody has their own preferences.

about the scorpio 2.6 having a tractor engine, this is how a debate starts my friend, by such unnecessary comparisons. since as suman mentioned that this is 'your' thread and moreover considering your negative attitude towards my post, i will refrain posting anything towards this topic.
Old 16th January 2009, 18:21   #36
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
every other car does that, i would ask what was TATA thinking when they adopted such a tall gearing for this engine? what were they thinking when they plonked a tempo engine coupled with some high end delphi systems in a 12 lakh SUV?
Care to name some of those "every other cars" that hit 100 kph in 3rd gear at 3000 rpm?
Old 16th January 2009, 18:23   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
Care to name some of those "every other cars" that hit 100 kph in 3rd gear at 3000 rpm?
every other car in the indian market hits 100 kmph in 3rd gear, some do it below 3000 rpm and some above!
Old 16th January 2009, 18:56   #38
BANNED

Quote:
every other car in the indian market hits 100 kmph in 3rd gear, some do it below 3000 rpm and some above!

OT: How are these smilies rolling together (at the same rpm)?
Old 16th January 2009, 22:25   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
3000 rpm in 3rd gear gets you to 100 kph - madness. What was Tata thinking?
Quote:
every other car does that,

Quote:

Quote:
Maybe OT but Raj, I wish you'd get your act together before you start making sweeping statements ALL the time. Because nine times out of ten, you end up eating your own words - not that you acknowledge that but nevertheless..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
IMHO, the 3.0 SAFARI was a guinea pig. TATAs were developing a 2.2, and that was getting delayed for awhile. Some smart Alec at TATA thought they'll shoe-horn the 407 engine into the SAFARI in the meantime with some experimentation with the BOSCH common-rail.
You're kidding, right? No, no, I guess you're serious. Me, I'm just happy that smart alec did what he did, I'm just plain stupid though

Last edited by suman : 16th January 2009 at 22:33.
Old 16th January 2009, 23:30   #40
BANNED

I prefer not to quote anyone here.

Suman and Hrishi and other's along with me own the 3L for a long time now, speculating the performance is not required for the 3L Dicor as its time tested and almost niggle free compared to any SUV at this price available now.

I would suggest some members here to stop making sweeping statements, its not required.

TATA is the one and the only company producing a proper 4X4 SUV called the Safari as on date for that price. Why should others talk about comparing it with any.

Show me any other Diesel SUV hitting 100 kmph at 3000 rpm. there exists none

This thread is again going the ego bashing way. Lets stick to the topic.

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 16th January 2009 at 23:35.
Old 16th January 2009, 23:50   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

himanshu,

The 3.0 DICOR is based on the Tata Spacio/407 engine block. No shame in that. Just the facts mate. The 3.0 was made only for a very limited period. Unless the CRDe components are shared with other models, I will guarantee you that parts will eventually get hard to source. The main drawback of this engine compared to the 2.2 is the extra wight and limited power band. If you like to drive fast then the 2.2 is better since it is a much higher revving engine with a wide power band. If the 3.0 was the best thing that happened sinced sliced bread, why would Tata spend millions developing the 2.2?

Arun is absolutely right, they worked up the 3.0 due to the delay in launching the 2.2. It was a stop gap arrangement. Maybe eventually they will phase out the TCIC model on the lower end products like winger etc and parts for the 3.0 may not become an issue.
Old 16th January 2009, 23:59   #42
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
IMHO, the 3.0 SAFARI was a guinea pig. TATAs were developing a 2.2, and that was getting delayed for awhile. Some smart Alec at TATA thought they'll shoe-horn the 407 engine into the SAFARI in the meantime with some experimentation with the BOSCH common-rail.

Please upgrade, if you are not convinced, then make a round of the used car dealers, there are so many 3.0s up for sale, and they are going for a song. Don't hold onto it like people holding onto falling shares, the bleeding will only get worse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
himanshu,

The 3.0 DICOR is based on the Tata Spacio/407 engine block. No shame in that. Just the facts mate. The 3.0 was made only for a very limited period. Unless the CRDe components are shared with other models, I will guarantee you that parts will eventually get hard to source. The main drawback of this engine compared to the 2.2 is the extra wight and limited power band. If you like to drive fast then the 2.2 is better since it is a much higher revving engine with a wide power band. If the 3.0 was the best thing that happened sinced sliced bread, why would Tata spend millions developing the 2.2?
Arun is absolutely right, they worked up the 3.0 due to the delay in launching the 2.2. It was a stop gap arrangement. Maybe eventually they will phase out the TCIC model on the lower end products like winger etc and parts for the 3.0 may not become an issue.

So some of us guys enjoy the limited period 'Safari in that case. Phew give me a break.

Since when did we have TATA R & D engineers here on the Forum

Mods: We are actually going nowhere on this thread, lets have it closed please.

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 17th January 2009 at 00:00.
Old 17th January 2009, 00:58   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Pavan,
I know that you are a huge Tata fan. I like Tata vehicles myself and I do own a Tata vehcile and I think they are good products. The Safari is on the top of my list of Indian SUVs. Your post always imply that there is absolutely nothing wrong with Tata and that all their products are like the best in the world.

You don't need to be in Tata R&D to know this information. You just need to know people there. I would think that a Tata fan like you would know the origins of the 2.0 TCIC engine and the 3.0 Dicor engine.

My suggestion is to balance your views. I am not suggesting that they make bad products.

Are you Ratan Tata's adopted son. You seem to take every comment about a Tata Safari personally..

This by the way is a blog where people give opinions. No need to jump off a bridge everytime someone puts a comment which you disagree with.

Last edited by 4x4addict : 17th January 2009 at 01:07.
Old 17th January 2009, 01:11   #44
abk
BHPian

Dear Moderators,

Please close this thread. The originator HimashuGoswami has made up his mind. Since then gun shots are being fired
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks