Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2009, 21:59   #16
Senior - BHPian

Probably the end of Tavera, Old Sumo and the Rhino. (as far as yellow boards)

Private buyers still prefer sedans. That mindset wont change. If you think about it Toyota Innova has the space, finish and the quality of a Camry with a common rail diesel engine....yet people buy Corollas, Civics etc.
Old 21st January 2009, 22:23   #17
Senior - BHPian

lame slogan-end of sedans what do they mean by that..
as above said family more than 5 go for it else linea..
Linea-Over 100 years of experience does count.. expect better refinement & image than the xylo it looks a class larger has a rich look to it.
Old 21st January 2009, 22:49   #18
BANNED

The ad is perfect.

It is infact end of Sedans.......... Now Mahindra's will never venture into Sedan market in the Future after their Logan debacle.

So obviously its the end of Sedans from Mahindra

They cant even beat the fit and finish of a Palio and what do Mahindra's think of doing with the Xylo.

The Xylo will fit in the Tavera and Rhino bracket, not even match the Grande and to get alongside Innova it needs to go a looooooooooong distance. .
Old 21st January 2009, 22:50   #19
BHPian

Thanks for your replies.

I didn't know I'd start a Xylo bashing thread.

I also didn't know that there'd be such a huge turnaround in the fortunes of Fiat ( atleast in the mindset of a very high percentage of BHPians ) who are suddenly going ga-ga over the Linea. All the past woes of Fiat's A.S.S, poor FEs, spare part problems, etc., have been neatly forgotten.
Old 21st January 2009, 22:58   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitindangoria View Post
Thanks for your replies.

I also didn't know that there'd be such a huge turnaround in the fortunes of Fiat ( atleast in the mindset of a very high percentage of BHPians ) who are suddenly going ga-ga over the Linea. All the past woes of Fiat's A.S.S, poor FEs, spare part problems, etc., have been neatly forgotten.
Nothing has been forgotten. In reality Fiat has given a product which can be appreciated even if we keep a bit underpowered engine in mind and on other hand Xylo has pleased very few people mainly due to its ugly exterior and cheap interiors
Old 21st January 2009, 23:05   #21
BANNED

Quote:
Thanks for your replies.

Sorry Buddy, i agree. Xylo is good but the ad is in real bad taste.

What goes always comes around.

You bash a category of Automobile, you'll surely get your brand Bashed.

Remember Fiat has come a long way, everyone has an emotional attachment to it since the old Fiat and padmini days, now since the Palio has become better and with the Linea launching Fiats have become hot property and the talk of the town.

Also remember every Ferrari is always a Fiat.
Old 21st January 2009, 23:08   #22
BHPian

Harsh:

I take it that you have decided to buy the Linea.

Has it ever crossed your mind that this is a make-or-break situation for Fiat. And if they have poor Linea sales they could just pack up and go back.

What happens to the spare parts which will be required after 3-4 years? Does Tata Motors guarantee their availability?
Old 21st January 2009, 23:24   #23
BANNED

Quote:
Harsh:

I take it that you have decided to buy the Linea.

Has it ever crossed your mind that this is a make-or-break situation for Fiat. And if they have poor Linea sales they could just pack up and go back.

What happens to the spare parts which will be required after 3-4 years? Does Tata Motors guarantee their availability?
Dear Sir,

Fiat has been in scene before i or you were born and they are here to stay.

Does that mean no one should buy the Swift or the Indica Vista since its got the superior Fiat engine.

Dont worry about parts buddy, we'll see more and more of Fiats on the road soon

Fiats are built to last really long.

Mods: Its time to close this thread, we are heading North instead of South.

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 21st January 2009 at 23:25.
Old 21st January 2009, 23:26   #24
BHPian

Please see the efforts they are putting to make it count this time. they have priced it right. they have kept quality, features etc good. engines, though underspec from 0-100 point of view, should return good FE. they are expanding their ranjangaon facility to make 200k cars and 400k engines along with making it a exporting hub. T-Bhpians are already seeing attitude change in dealerships. what more can we ask from once a last bencher. they are even advertising the product and competition is acknowledging its presence.
Old 21st January 2009, 23:37   #25
BANNED

Certainly Fiat has its share of problems, rather cup full of them, but Linea as a product is exceptional in wake of the competition. Actually much of its fortunes would depend on the Punto & the yet to be finalised smaller car. I personally have had very bitter experience with Fiat, but it was at Fiat's end, product ie. Palio was a good car. But yes if one sees in totality, a car has to do good in all the key areas, shades of grey cannot be tolerated.
Infact one must not forget that Fiat has been feeding us with the same, more than a decade old Palio till now, this is a big negative when going against the Companies which go in for a model change every 4-5 years. Though the latest flair of the new Honda City's designing is missing in the Linea, but it will more than make up with low pricing & a diesel on platter.
In comparison, Xylo doesn't really stand anywhere in front of the Linea, M&M needs to grow up substantially to even come close. Xylo is just a people carrier & would do its job good, but its not an international product, its competition for likes of Sumo/ Tavera/ Bolero, etc.
Old 22nd January 2009, 07:11   #26
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

I was reading these comments about the Xylo and frankly find many of them very patronizing. Now just because it is an Indian vehicle doesnt mean it is bad.

I believe it is a good effort and I liked the vehicle - it is perfect for the people mover segment and certainly will give the Innova some good stiff competition - especially given the cost vs benefit ratio. Indians by and large are value seekers and value is exactly what the Xylo provides at the price.

Lovely legroom in the second and third rows - excellent vehicle if one uses a chauffeur. I liked the little "flight trays" a lot - very useful and they do not get in the way even though I am a tall person. Comfy vehicle. Decent engine, tyres and I observed good quality of pickup and braking in the top end version. At 9.25 lacs (Bangalore on Road) it seems well worth it.

Plus why do we not focus on some of the other advantages? Such as after sales service network, ease of maintenance and general Mahindra solidity and reliability? Instead of "nit-picking" all the time!!

While I am a Scorpio customer I am still able to see the advantages that a vehicle like the Xylo brings to the table.

However,lets see what the sales numbers say after another 6-9 months.

Cheers

SB
Old 22nd January 2009, 09:32   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I was reading these comments about the Xylo and frankly find many of them very patronizing. Now just because it is an Indian vehicle doesnt mean it is bad.
I don't think anyone has rubbished the vehicle because it is an "indian vehicle" as you claim. Even the scorpio is a "indian vehicle" and was never rubbished. It has been rubbished due to its looks and ad campaign till now in all posts.

Please refrain from making such claims and starting a debate on another tangent before reading through the posts carefully.
Old 22nd January 2009, 10:05   #28
Senior - BHPian

Beyond shadow of doubt, the ad campaign for the Xylo is an unmitigated disaster!
Who are they targetting? Who are they rubbishing? And who are they wooing?
What, in the first place, are they comparing to what?!

M&M are displaying disturbing signs of having aged too much! And, LOL, I see people asking them to 'grow up'! They have grown up so much that senility has set in!

The horrendous marketing of the Xylo and the pricing of the CRDe Bolero are examples.
Old 22nd January 2009, 10:25   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I found the Linea to have looks,great build quality,great engine and comfort whereas the Xylo has great space at the same price as that of the Linea, ability to carry 2 more people, no future spare parts problems etc.
You should first decide if you need a Sedan or an MUV. Both are intended for different uses. MUV/SUVs can carry more people, do offroading. Do you need it? Sedans are easier to drive, handle and ride way better, and are economical.

Sedans are going to be here for a long time and would still sell in better volumes, so dont worry about it

Last edited by SkyWalker : 22nd January 2009 at 10:27.
Old 22nd January 2009, 10:33   #30
Team-BHP Support

While one can go on and on about the Xylo marketing which wasnt well made, i dont think the product as such is such a disaster, as people here make it out to be.

Upon seeing the snaps, i was among those who were repulsed by the looks, but when i did get to see it in person, my views have changed regarding the looks.

When the Innova was launched, it looked horribly ugly to be kind to it, but over the years the looks have grown on us, and now we consider it acceptable. The better virtues of the Innova have taken precedence over the looks.

Speaking of the Xylo, if they were offerring the current Xylo at the cost of the Innova, i would lead from the forefront when it comes to criticism, as expectations increase with price. Since the pricing has been spot on for what is being offerred, i think its about time the members here come out from their condescending attitude and then give their opinions.

For those who will cry foul over not being offerred airbags and ABS, it has been mentioned that these are in the pipeline, and would be released shortly. Surely a mistake which M&M committed here. If people on TBHP get led by senseless salespersons who may utter that Xylo doesnt need these, then i have no answer. Surely, members here would know better.

The above views are mine, and i have wanted to rant these since the time the bashing brigade started, but resisted so far. I dont think i am entirely wrong.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks