Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2009, 19:10   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
the Scorpio MHawk Engine is a 2.2 (new generation)
and a slightly upgraded version of this has been stuffed into the Xylo - in Xylo they call it the M Eagle engine - 2.5 Crde with Intercooler I believe.
Shankar, this does not sound feasible. A 2.2 ltr developing 120 (and capable of 140) being made into a 2.5 ltr and being made to develop 112 bhp!
Not likely by a long shot!
Old 23rd January 2009, 19:13   #62
BHPian

What one of the program in TV says in Scorpio Engine made specially for Internation market and this is the first time they used this engine in Indian model.
Old 23rd January 2009, 20:14   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
the Scorpio Crde 2.6 is the old generation engine
a de-tuned version of the same has been stuffed into the Bolero Crde

the Scorpio MHawk Engine is a 2.2 (new generation)

and a slightly upgraded version of this has been stuffed into the Xylo - in Xylo they call it the M Eagle engine - 2.5 Crde with Intercooler I believe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Shankar, this does not sound feasible. A 2.2 ltr developing 120 (and capable of 140) being made into a 2.5 ltr and being made to develop 112 bhp!
Not likely by a long shot!
anup sir, i think he means the bolero CRDe engine has been upgraded with an intercooler for the xylo.

the mHawk already has an intercooler.
Old 23rd January 2009, 20:57   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
anup sir, i think he means the bolero CRDe engine has been upgraded with an intercooler for the xylo.
Does that mean the Bolero CRDe has no intercooler?!
Old 23rd January 2009, 21:36   #65
Senior - BHPian

I saw one in flesh and blood today--I was just behind it on the Banjara Hills Road, at it was just yuck looking from the rear. It looked like an enlarged WagonR from the rear.
Not sure of the front and interior looks though.
Old 23rd January 2009, 22:33   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Does that mean the Bolero CRDe has no intercooler?!
LOL... a top mounted intercooler. sorry for the error.
Old 24th January 2009, 04:53   #67
BHPian

Was watching Car & Bike show (NDTV Profit), and the reporter said that suspension issues that plagued the Scorpio have been sorted out in Xylo and that the ride is much better than in a Scorpio. Contradicting reports, since I read here that Xylo wallows and that ride is not at par with Scorpio due to rear leaf springs.

Can someone clarify?
Old 24th January 2009, 08:28   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unni.ak View Post
since I read here that Xylo wallows and that ride is not at par with Scorpio due to rear leaf springs.

Can someone clarify?
Best to get into a Xylo and see for yourself how it feels!
Remember, the Ambassador also had leaf springs. And who dare say that was not a superb ride?
Old 24th January 2009, 08:53   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Best to get into a Xylo and see for yourself how it feels!
Remember, the Ambassador also had leaf springs. And who dare say that was not a superb ride?
True that!!! OT: I still remember the first time I got to ride in a Amby, was about 12 or 13 then. We had a M800, and I had commented to my dad it feels like being in a plane.

Last edited by unni.ak : 24th January 2009 at 08:54. Reason: Grammar!! English is a confusing language.
Old 24th January 2009, 09:03   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unni.ak View Post
Contradicting reports, since I read here that Xylo wallows and that ride is not at par with Scorpio due to rear leaf springs.

Can someone clarify?
Xylo does not come with leaf springs. It comes with coil spring system at the rear.

-- Wind
Old 24th January 2009, 09:05   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind View Post
Xylo does not come with leaf springs. It comes with coil spring system at the rear.

-- Wind
Oh is it. Thanks for the clarification.
Old 24th January 2009, 19:57   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind View Post

-- Wind
Took the TD of the Xylo today. Most of the points are already covered by others, some points from the Top of my mind:
  • Comes with Coil springs, the Lotus system.
  • Its longer by about 23 cms and wider by about 9 cms, would be more difficult in city traffic than Scorp smaller sedans.
  • Has 15" tyres, looks a little undersized for the size, its for the milage, they said.
  • The last row has more space, but still long distance would be problem as the knees would be in a raised position.
  • The thigh support for driver better, but still not good as the one I found when I travelled for the GQ trip with HRAG's 3.0 Safari.
  • The height adjuster for the driver seat is pretty good.
  • The fully reclining seat which falls into the middle row and if you retract the middle row, its a FULL bench for someone to sleep. So one person can sleep, that would leave space for the Driver and 4 others to sit. Not possible on the Scorp.
  • A/C is good, the grills blow air into drivers face, vents for middle and last row pretty good.
  • Seperate lights for back seat passengers.
  • No "Josh" in the engine like the CREe Scorp.
  • Once it picks up, it moves well, off the block slower.
  • The handlings is better, less rock and roll But still there, great improvement here.
  • Found the braking better than my drum brakes of the Scorp CRDe, Xylo is front discs, back drums.
  • The back looks flat and non-SUVish, I thik I can grow to like this, like my Santro. Earlier I hated the looks, grew up to learn to like and buy it ultimately since it was a very practical car.
  • The front is more aerodynamic than the Scorp, will offer lesser resistance.
  • The dealer said, it's no competition for Scorp, since its a slower engine, it will not replace the seden, but will offer a price point between the 5-6 L of their logans and 8-10 of the Scorpio range.
  • They are NOT SELLING this to taxis, no permits would be given by the RTO and deliberately have not introduced White. They have lots of enquiries from Fleet operators, about 100 in Ahmedabad, for white (to take this with a sack of salt) for taxi purpose.
  • There are lots of people standing in line at A'bad for TD and having a look see of the Car / Truck. I had to wait for 45 minutes.
--Ramky
=============

Last edited by ramkya1 : 24th January 2009 at 20:01.
Old 24th January 2009, 20:18   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post
  • Found the braking better than my drum brakes of the Scorp CRDe, Xylo is front discs, back drums.
Ramky, take a look at your Scorpio's front DISC brakes please!
Old 24th January 2009, 20:33   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ramky, take a look at your Scorpio's front DISC brakes please!
Hai,

Just saw the manual and went down to double check the truck, the front has discs I stand corrected in my impressions, don't know how it got into my head!!!

Tnx for pointing out.

The Xylo felt more in control when I braked, suspect its because it's longer and wider and lighter, didn't chek the weight !!!
Old 24th January 2009, 21:02   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post
I stand corrected in my impressions, don't know how it got into my head!!!
On sultry days, haven't you noticed that the discs get 'rusty' within hours?!!
In rainy weather, you'll find the discs completely covered in a thin layer of rust overnight! Used to worry me in the early days. My OEM alloys do tend to show too much of the discs.

Most Viewed