Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2009, 22:16   #16
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

yes bolero lower CG is definitely an advantage
it is not as high off the ground as the scorpio so therefore is a little better to deal with around curves and in the hills.
however, it is still older and more basic technology/ comfort in comparison with the Scorpio at more or less the same money and thats why the Scorpio gets my vote.
however, both these vehicles are SUV/MUV/ Jeep type things and MUST be driven bearing this fact in mind and then, you will surely get a large amount of enjoyment from the experience of owning one!
I hope you are able to decide on what suits you best and wish you a happy ride once you buy!
if you need any further specific tips/help just ask

cheers
shankar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Ok, but I thought Bolero had an advantage because of it's low CoG compared to Scorpio. Scorpio with it's more modern suspension components might make up for it. After thinking it over the Scorpio Lx definitely seems like a better deal compared to the 7lac Bolero.
Old 2nd February 2009, 22:27   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

You guys are confusing all the nice and proper Bolero fans now! I saw the pricing on the 2.6 LX Scorpio again (which is 9L)...you have sent me thinking again...its basically about 2.5 Lakhs off the SLE version of the Bolero (which is 6.5L at India Garage). The SLX version of the Bolero is bogus, so the pricing of 7L being taken into consideration is not right.
Old 3rd February 2009, 09:19   #18
BHPian

@ MileCruncher: I guess you are aware that the ride comfort on a utility vehicle (bumpy) would be no where near your Uno. If you are still sold on a UV, a Xylo makes a more practical buy.

PS: Have driven a fully loaded Uno D on a 500km non-stop drive in Southern TN pot holed roads and everyone loved the comfort levels, it damped those pot holes so easily! My only grudge was its turning radius, but otherwise the car was so very comfy!!!
Old 3rd February 2009, 09:49   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirWind View Post
@ MileCruncher: I guess you are aware that the ride comfort on a utility vehicle (bumpy) would be no where near your Uno. If you are still sold on a UV, a Xylo makes a more practical buy.

PS: Have driven a fully loaded Uno D on a 500km non-stop drive in Southern TN pot holed roads and everyone loved the comfort levels, it damped those pot holes so easily! My only grudge was its turning radius, but otherwise the car was so very comfy!!!
Thanks for the nice word on Uno. Mine used to be a regular on the Chennai - Pondy ECR and GST Road. Not many people understand how good a car it is. Mine is a fully loaded 1.2 Petrol with 1.07L Kms on the clock and still going strong. I also own the Palio but on any given would prefer the Uno for its pickup and handling.

Coming back to point, I know the pitfalls of owning a UV vis-a-vis a decent sedan/hatchback, but I like to travel a lot and majority of it happens to be bad roads. I recently did the Delhi - Hyderabad 1600 Km run and encountered bad roads for almost about 1000 Kms on it. You can have a look at the conditions of the road on the follwoing post.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...abad-trip.html

I have had enough of Fiat's service conundrums and my pockets bleeding continuously to keep my steeds happy. Hence Bolero because
  1. Sturdy lump of iron
  2. Ability to take the bad roads of India with a smile
  3. Cheap to run and maintain
  4. Nothing fancy hence things cannot go too much wrong
  5. Can be fixed by any diesel mechanic.
  6. Spare parts available in the smallest of the hamlets.
  7. Can go into jungles and hills.
And none of these criterias are satisfied by the XYLO.
XYLO definitely is a very good car with refined interiors and smoth ride but just not for me
Old 3rd February 2009, 10:43   #20
Senior - BHPian

What is the best tyre size for the Bolero apart from the stock.
Old 3rd February 2009, 11:14   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

I am facing the same question...this is what one member did about his tyres:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post1111788

and then he mentions this:

"On the drive back to Chennai, my sisters family accompanied us till Salem, with 5 adults and 3 kids the back tyre was scraping against the wheel arches quite regularly on uneven roads. 235/75/15 is not a safe upsize, I would need to modify the rear leaf to get rid of this."

So I think 75 in terms of the height is not right. The width of 235 seems okay since he did not complain about the turning radius being affected. However, would 70 be alright? I am not sure. I guess Jose Peter will have to measure the distance between the top of the tyre when fully inflated and the wheel arch to allow us to figure out the right upsize.

Yes, the stock does look ugly.
Old 3rd February 2009, 20:22   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Uhhh, I made a big, BIG mistake here. I just looked up the tech specs and I find that the Bolero comes with 215/75/R15. So 75 is right. DUH.

God, he must have gone too much on the width. Let me post up on his thread.
Old 3rd February 2009, 22:27   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

AND, I am back again. I have been doing some research on this topic today, and a result of that is my post here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post1156409

However, even 235/70/R15 might not be the safest/most legal. According to some members who have posted - those tyres jutting out (because of the 235 profile) is not RTO worthy and therefore not road legal. Furthermore, the right rim size for the 235 profile tyres are 6.5 X 15. The right alloy/rim size for the Bolero is 6 X 15.

And the one that fits right to that rim size, stays road legal, and is a safe upsize is: 225/75/R15. 225's ensure you dont jut out too much, and fit on the same rim size. Aura also comes with only rims this size on the 15 inchers. 75% of the width on your sidewall ensures you remain well within the risk dynamics. And ofcourse, you stick to 15 inches and thus dont play with your ride or handling.

I think this is pretty much it. I will now start my research on the best brand of tyres for this jeep.

PS: Please accept my apologies for multiple posts within a day or two on this thread.
Old 4th February 2009, 00:25   #24
BHPian

Hey..That was me with the 235/75/15 Yoko Geolandars. I think Geos are one of the best tyres you can get on the Bolero, have seen some rave reviews from hardcore offroaders elsewhere on TBHP.

One of the Bolero owners from the Orkut community got 235/70/25 Geos imported from the Yokohama dealer in Bangalore and he is loving it. I think thats the best upsize for the Bolero.

@ Milemuncher - Couldnt agree with you more on choosing the Bolero. I feel you have put in a lot of thought on what you actually need and have homed in on your steed. Wish you a great ownership experience with your new ride.
Attached Thumbnails
Looking to buy a Mahindra Bolero CRDe-dsc00585.jpg  

Old 4th February 2009, 11:03   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for the detailing Jose. Can you please tell us what size rims you have on there? __ x 15?
Old 9th February 2009, 15:47   #26
Senior - BHPian

A Twist in the Tale

As you all are aware I had zeroed and almost fixed on Bolero VLX CRDe and was in the midst of haggling with the bank and dealer for the best discount.

A friend of mine has been egging me for a long time now to test drive the safari and so on last friday I finally decided to give it a go. So now am faced with 3 options

Option 1: Brand New Bolero VLX CRDe for 7.4 Lacs

Option 2: Brand New SAFARI LX 2.2 VTT. Manufactured in Oct 07. Present price of Safari LX OTR: 8.62 Lacs. Quoted Price: 7.62 Lacs. My offer price: 7.00 Lacs

Option 3: Used SAFARI 3.0 Dicor VX March 07 with 36 K on clock well maintained. Quoted 7.5 Lacs. Offer 6.5 Lacs. Owner wants to sell as he is already in US and sister is trying to sell the car.

I'm totally confused with which one to go with and would appreciate advice.

Cheers
Old 9th February 2009, 19:15   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I would recommend Option 2. You are getting a Brand new Safari for less than the Bolero VLX CRDe. Personally

I wouldn't get the Safari 3.0 since that engine was offered only for two years as a stop gap arrangement due to the delay in the 2.2. I think you may have difficulty sourcing certain engine components down the line. Besides it revs only to 3000 rpm as it has it's underpinnings in the 407 truck engine. Usable rpm range is only 1500 to 3000 rpm. If you decide to go for the Safari 3.0 I think you should get a lower price.
Old 9th February 2009, 19:36   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
As you all are aware I had zeroed and almost fixed on Bolero VLX CRDe and was in the midst of haggling with the bank and dealer for the best discount.

A friend of mine has been egging me for a long time now to test drive the safari and so on last friday I finally decided to give it a go. So now am faced with 3 options

Option 1: Brand New Bolero VLX CRDe for 7.4 Lacs

Option 2: Brand New SAFARI LX 2.2 VTT. Manufactured in Oct 07. Present price of Safari LX OTR: 8.62 Lacs. Quoted Price: 7.62 Lacs. My offer price: 7.00 Lacs

Option 3: Used SAFARI 3.0 Dicor VX March 07 with 36 K on clock well maintained. Quoted 7.5 Lacs. Offer 6.5 Lacs. Owner wants to sell as he is already in US and sister is trying to sell the car.

I'm totally confused with which one to go with and would appreciate advice.

Cheers
avoid the 3.0 safari friend.

the 2.2 safari at 7.6 lakhs seems tempting, but i would go for option 1 & select the bolero.

reason: the same... safari relibility issues. check some threads on T-BHP:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...er-design.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ns-thread.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-breakage.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...oes-kaput.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-vtt-2-2l.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...some-more.html

DISCLAIMER: my post is entirely my personal opinion!
Old 9th February 2009, 19:49   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
yes bolero lower CG is definitely an advantage
it is not as high off the ground as the scorpio so therefore is a little better to deal with around curves and in the hills.
however, it is still older and more basic technology/ comfort in comparison with the Scorpio at more or less the same money and thats why the Scorpio gets my vote.
however, both these vehicles are SUV/MUV/ Jeep type things and MUST be driven bearing this fact in mind and then, you will surely get a large amount of enjoyment from the experience of owning one!
I hope you are able to decide on what suits you best and wish you a happy ride once you buy!
if you need any further specific tips/help just ask

cheers
shankar
Thanks Shankar. Eventhough the Scorp is newer i'm still in love with the Bolero, much due to it's no nonsense utilitarian roots. You said Bolero ought to be good around corners than the Scorp, that is also a major plus point imo. Does the new Crde come with 4x4? Which one do you think is more capable the 4x4 Bolero or the 4x4 Scorp? The 4x4 Bolero has a live axle front suspension which is better off road, as far as i know.

Edit: I think it's possible to transport atleast one motorcycle if not two motorcycles if i pull the rear seats out. Is that possible? If it is then it would be great!

Last edited by Sankar : 9th February 2009 at 19:52.
Old 9th February 2009, 19:55   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Thanks Shankar. Eventhough the Scorp is newer i'm still in love with the Bolero, much due to it's no nonsense utilitarian roots. You said Bolero ought to be good around corners than the Scorp, that is also a major plus point imo. Does the new Crde come with 4x4? Which one do you think is more capable the 4x4 Bolero or the 4x4 Scorp? The 4x4 Bolero has a live axle front suspension which is better off road, as far as i know.

Edit: I think it's possible to transport atleast one motorcycle if not two motorcycles if i pull the rear seats out. Is that possible? If it is then it would be great!
the bolero no doubt. its one of the best off roaders i have seen.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed