Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2009, 17:18   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofgondor View Post
Even I am a Bolero fan and am waiting to save enough to buy one. Had a word with the M&M guys in Noida about the VLX and was told that I do have the option of having a 4WD installed on it. The process is:
The 4WD Bolero comes with Leaf spring suspension in the front and the 2WD comes with IFS in the front. So they either have to remove your IFS set up and replace it with the leaf springs in the front or maybe install the Scorpio 4WD setup with IFS in the front.

I wish they would just give an option to order the 4WD VLX from the factory. I don't understand why Mahindra does so little to promote 4WD in the Bolero/Scorpio segment and limit their 4WD options to Invader/Major, etc..
Old 16th March 2009, 19:39   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
The 4WD Bolero comes with Leaf spring suspension in the front and the 2WD comes with IFS in the front. So they either have to remove your IFS set up and replace it with the leaf springs in the front or maybe install the Scorpio 4WD setup with IFS in the front.
Leaf Springs in Front! That ain't good at all for comfort I guess. And I believe for a good (and comfortable) off-roader, the front should be IFS, and maybe the back too. Will definitely have a long talk with the tech. guys when I go for the vehicle.

Quote:
I wish they would just give an option to order the 4WD VLX from the factory. I don't understand why Mahindra does so little to promote 4WD in the Bolero/Scorpio segment and limit their 4WD options to Invader/Major, etc..
+1 to that mate. Maybe it's cause they don't find it cost effective for mass production of 4wd Scorpios/Boleros. And only do that for customized orders. IMHO, hardly 20% of Scorpio/Bolero buyers would go for a 4x4 version seeing the cost difference (~1 Lacs) as compared to 2wd version of the same model.
Old 16th March 2009, 19:48   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
@Red Liner: Thanks for the clarifications mate. From your answer for 4th point, I'd now really love to have a 4WD VLX. But going by those of 1, 2 really discouraged to trust M&M to do it. Maybe when the time comes, I'd drive down with the vehicle to Nashik myself. I'd appreciate if you could provide me information of a place which specializes in conversion of 2wd to 4wd in/around NCR. One last thing, is it advisable to get the 4wd mods done on a new vehicle or is it ok if it's after the vehicle's run for sometime?
Dont even think about this and please walk away from this idea.
Old 16th March 2009, 20:09   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Leaf Springs in Front! That ain't good at all for comfort I guess. And I believe for a good (and comfortable) off-roader, the front should be IFS, and maybe the back too. Will definitely have a long talk with the tech. guys when I go for the vehicle.

+1 to that mate. Maybe it's cause they don't find it cost effective for mass production of 4wd Scorpios/Boleros. And only do that for customized orders. IMHO, hardly 20% of Scorpio/Bolero buyers would go for a 4x4 version seeing the cost difference (~1 Lacs) as compared to 2wd version of the same model.
Now that they have the MHawk engine in all the Scorpios, you may also want to consider getting a 4WD Scorpio. I like the Bolero and I think it is a good buy if you pay 6 lakhs or less. But one you are looking at a budget of 7 lakhs plus you are better off with the new Scorpio. Roshan has some picture of his Scorpio 4WD in the NCR OTR thread. It is no CJ or MM540 or Gurkha but it is a good trade off if you want have a vehicle that is comfortable on-road as well.

In India we don't have a vehicle that is very capable off-road and has has good on-road manners as well so it always makes sense to buy a good highway cruiser and keep a second hand jeep that you don't mind bashing up for your Off road trips.
Old 16th March 2009, 20:27   #80
BHPian

Quote:

AFAIK The only off-roader 4X4 with Independent suspension F&R available in India is the trax range.

The Bolero 4X4 is only BS II compliant which means registration cannot be done in cities. I'm not sure if Scorpio 4X4 is BS3 compliant.
Old 16th March 2009, 20:49   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by josepeter View Post
The Bolero 4X4 is only BS II compliant which means registration cannot be done in cities. I'm not sure if Scorpio 4X4 is BS3 compliant.
Who cares?! We live in a free country!

My 4X4 is registered in New Delhi. It's a 2.6 CRDe.
Old 16th March 2009, 21:14   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
AFAIK The only off-roader 4X4 with Independent suspension F&R available in India is the trax range.
Trax Gurkha: Front = IFS, Rear = Leaf Springs. At about 9 Lakhs OTR for the three door version, you have to be a total off-road enthusiast to spring for one.

Quote:
Scorpio 4WD has the same BSIII or newer engine as the 2WD.
Old 16th March 2009, 21:28   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Who cares?! We live in a free country!

My 4X4 is registered in New Delhi. It's a 2.6 CRDe.
Well as a matter of fact the 2.6 CRDe is BSIII but the 2.6 Turbo wasn't
Old 16th March 2009, 22:02   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Well as a matter of fact the 2.6 CRDe is BSIII but the 2.6 Turbo wasn't
Very right!
However, does anyone have ANY idea whatsoever how many cars in this great nation are running with Cat-cons that are bust for one reason or the other?!

And we'll leave out the FFEs!!!
Old 16th March 2009, 22:25   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Very right!
However, does anyone have ANY idea whatsoever how many cars in this great nation are running with Cat-cons that are bust for one reason or the other?!

And we'll leave out the FFEs!!!
During on of the SIAM meetings in 2004, it was proposed by the MoST that vehicle manufacturers should guarantee the emission of any vehicle for the first three years of its life and if a vehicle ( read CV mainly at that point of time) doesn't meet the emission norm during fitness test during this period, the manufacturer be fined rather than the owner. Due to intense pressure from manufacturers, the proposal was hushed away but we are slowly getting there with the infrastructure getting into place.

As about Cat-Cons, they dont go bust very often and when they do, its replacement is the only go to get proper pick-up mileage and other related stuff on petrols. In diesels LSD can harm ULSD prescribed vehicles.
Old 17th March 2009, 10:19   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Dont even think about this and please walk away from this idea.
Can you please elaborate? Do you mean not getting 4wd installed aftermarket (not from M&M)? Or not getting it installed on a 2wd vehicle at all?

Quote:
Now that they have the MHawk engine in all the Scorpios, you may also want to consider getting a 4WD Scorpio. I like the Bolero and I think it is a good buy if you pay 6 lakhs or less. But one you are looking at a budget of 7 lakhs plus you are better off with the new Scorpio.
I once drove a (well maintained) Scorpio (2.6 CRDe) in the mountains and felt so unconfident throwing it over curves/corners. Lotta understeer, the car wasn't comfortable taking the turns. Didn't like the braking of the vehicle much too, very shaky. One other thing, I'd get a VLX Bolero 4wd around 9.5L with alloys, but I doubt I'd get a mHawk 4wd Scorpio anywhere less than 12L. Again for that price, I'd go for a Safari GX anytime.

Quote:
In India we don't have a vehicle that is very capable off-road and has has good on-road manners as well so it always makes sense to buy a good highway cruiser and keep a second hand jeep that you don't mind bashing up for your Off road trips.
+1 to that my friend. My only problem being that my off-roading begins after a long highway cruise.

Quote:
Wish the trax range had some creature comforts too!
Old 17th March 2009, 16:27   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
C
I once drove a (well maintained) Scorpio (2.6 CRDe) in the mountains and felt so unconfident throwing it over curves/corners. Lotta understeer, the car wasn't comfortable taking the turns. Didn't like the braking of the vehicle much too, very shaky. One other thing, I'd get a VLX Bolero 4wd around 9.5L with alloys, but I doubt I'd get a mHawk 4wd Scorpio anywhere less than 12L. Again for that price, I'd go for a Safari GX anytime.
All scropios have the Mhawk engine including the LX ana SLE so OTR price should be about 10 lakhs for the SLE version with 4WD. This has ABS as well. They have revised the suspension for the Mhawk range. The ex showroom price for 2WD SLE is about 7.8 lakhs hence I am guessing that the 4WD version is about a lakh more. I suggest you take another TD before writing it off.
Old 17th March 2009, 17:44   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
All scropios have the Mhawk engine including the LX ana SLE so OTR price should be about 10 lakhs for the SLE version with 4WD. This has ABS as well. They have revised the suspension for the Mhawk range. The ex showroom price for 2WD SLE is about 7.8 lakhs hence I am guessing that the 4WD version is about a lakh more. I suggest you take another TD before writing it off.
SLE: 8.11 lakhs Ex-showroom, Bangalore. I think the ex-showroom prices have been made the same across the country.
Old 17th March 2009, 21:10   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Trax Gurkha: Front = IFS, Rear = Leaf Springs. At about 9 Lakhs OTR for the three door version, you have to be a total off-road enthusiast to spring for one.

Scorpio 4WD has the same BSIII or newer engine as the 2WD.
Thanks 4x4addict; I somehow had the thought that Gurkha had independent Rear suspension; now I'm clear! I agree about the total off-road enthusiast!
Old 19th March 2009, 18:07   #90
BHPian

@Red Liner: Can you please provide your kind feedback on my query in post 86? http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1216572-post86.html
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks