Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2009, 20:38   #196
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
They are known as wiper wings , There are two uses of this wiper wing.

1. Intended use: To provide more weight to wiper for effective cleaning.
If you don't have this well Wiper won't fly away but effectiveness of cleaning will reduce ( may not be noticeable either).

2.Unintended use : Scrapping snow from the windshield, I have seen people abroad have this kind of appendage and they pull out and use to scrape the snow. In India this is not useful much except in Himalayas may be.

Actually this this is available as an accessory on e-bay of Type-R brand with shiny chrome plating for all vehicles. Also I have seen it in auto accessory sections of stores abroad and sells between 10 - 20 $

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Aluminum-Windshield-Wiper-Wing-Eclipse-3000GT-Lancer_W0QQitemZ310119436561QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMot ors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item310119436 561&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=72%3A543|65%3A 12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

TML is just attaching it free of cost :-).

Why just one why not two ? Most of the field of vision which may get affected when wiper is not cleaning while coming down is on the drivers side so not required on the other side.
Thanks mate. One lesser thing to learn
Old 26th March 2009, 08:02   #197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
IIRC, the gen 1 scorp and the early crde (the one minus the bonnet scoop also has this). can some scorpio owner please confirm.
no, the scorpio did not & does not have this 'wiper wings'.
Old 26th March 2009, 08:15   #198
Senior - BHPian

Check this discussion on the wind deflector on the Subaru Outback. Wiper Blade Wind Deflector Replacement? - Subaru Legacy Forums

Read the post #7, where the person has mentioned his experience, post the loss of the deflector.
Old 28th March 2009, 08:30   #199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Check this discussion on the wind deflector on the Subaru Outback. Wiper Blade Wind Deflector Replacement? - Subaru Legacy Forums

Read the post #7, where the person has mentioned his experience, post the loss of the deflector.
So I guess it is a needed addon. If only the engine could be made powerful enough to use these features.

Moving onto the next query, is the LSD ( Limited Slip Differential and not the the other one, even though few might want so) standard on 4x2 safari? Brochure makes no mention of it even in 4X4.
Old 28th May 2009, 17:49   #200
BHPian

i had seen a 2008 model Safari 2.2 EX for sale and i am interested in that.Owner is quoting 7.2 L. Is it a fair price? Please tell me the ideal price?

Details of the vehicle,

2008 Feb Safari 2.2EX, single owner,Reg in May 2008, Not a bangalore vehicle, it is KA 35, Kms done 26000,cyprus grey color.

Extra added features are,
1. Reverse camera
2. Leather seat
3. Wooden panels in center console and in doors as seen in Safari VX
4. Pioneer DVD player,JBL sub,amp,roof mounted screen and screens behind the headrests of front seats.

5.It has got the autocop central locking and sunfilm in the front glass.

I drove the vehicle for about 15kms and it was a pleasure to drive.I just felt a rough sound while accelerating in the second and third gear.Is it normal?
So guys please help me regarding this.
Old 28th May 2009, 19:21   #201
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Moving onto the next query, is the LSD ( Limited Slip Differential and not the the other one, even though few might want so) standard on 4x2 safari? Brochure makes no mention of it even in 4X4.
LSD is there in 4X4 Safari and as I heard from others a useful equipment for slush. 4X2 It is not there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stable rock View Post
i had seen a 2008 model Safari 2.2 EX for sale and i am interested in that.Owner is quoting 7.2 L. Is it a fair price? Please tell me the ideal price?

Details of the vehicle,

2008 Feb Safari 2.2EX, single owner,Reg in May 2008, Not a bangalore vehicle, it is KA 35, Kms done 26000,cyprus grey color.

1. Reverse camera
2. Leather seat
4. Pioneer DVD player,JBL sub,amp,roof mounted screen and screens behind the headrests of front seats.

I drove the vehicle for about 15kms and it was a pleasure to drive.I just felt a rough sound while accelerating in the second and third gear.Is it normal?
Who So this Safari has approximately 1.25 Lakh + worth of accessories
Approximate breakup

1. Pioneer DVD player,JBL sub,amp,roof mounted screen and screens behind the headrests of front seats.
- approx 70 K

2. Reverse camera
- Rev camera + 4 sensors = 14 K

3. Leather seat :
30 ~ 40 K depending on what kind of leather.

4. Wooden panels in center console and in doors as seen in Safari VX
- No Idea of the cost

5. got the autocop central locking and sunfilm in the front glass.
why Autocop ? EX has factory fitted engine immobilizer and remote locking
Around still 5 K if aftermarket autocop is fitted due to some strange reasons

6. Sunfilm in front glass 6.5 K if 3M and 8.5 K for V-Kool

7.2 L looks like a good deal

Last edited by amitk26 : 28th May 2009 at 19:22.
Old 28th May 2009, 19:26   #202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Details of the vehicle,

1. Reverse camera
2. Leather seat

Check out New Cars, Used Cars, Buy Cars, Sell Cars, New Car Prices, Used Car Prices - CarWale.com for price guidelines.

I had seen a Feb 2008 19k done VX with the owner asking about 7.5L about 3 months back. So the above might seem to be slightly on a higher side. But then again B'lore has a higher OTR vehicle price than Hyderabad.
Old 28th May 2009, 20:02   #203
Senior - BHPian

please dont pay that much! its too much on the higher side. this safari without accessories should sell for 6.5 lakhs (safari's resale values are on the lower side).
ideally, you should not be bothered about the accessories when buying a second hand car nor should you pay for it. (second hand market does not care a damn about after market fittings when you sell your car, so why should you pay for it when you are buying the car?) but if you are interested in those accessories, at the max, add 30,000 to it & the close the deal to max 6.8 lakhs.
the other option is tell the owner to remove the ICE he has installed & get the car at a much reduced price & add your own ICE later.
Old 2nd June 2009, 12:32   #204
abk
BHPian

Used Safari EXI 4WD

Folks, here is an advert on our organisation's intranet. I am yet to speak to the seller to dig out more info and if it comes to it, will go for a test drive. Here's the first cut (as advertised):
Type : * Car
Make : * Tata Safari EXI 4WD
Model : * Tata Safari EXI 4WD
Year of Mfg/Yrs. in use : * 2003
Kms. run : * 80000
Yr of purchase : * 2003
Price Range (Amount): 2.5L
Other Features : BLACK Color, 2.1 ltr, 135PS ,Petrol ,Mileage 7 KM/L in city and 11 KM/L on highway.ABS Power Steering Power windows alloy wheels

The preliminary questions that I have:
  1. Notwithstanding the condition of the car, does the deal look alright to get involved in further talks?
  2. Did EXI 4WD 2003 come with ABS? Was the engine 2.1 ltr?
  3. Will the car be very prone to intensive maintenance based on the Safari owners' general experience post 80k kms on odo?

I searched for used non-dicor safari thread but couldn't find one hence posting it here. If found inappropriate, moderators please feel free to move the post.

Thanks!
Old 2nd June 2009, 13:07   #205
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abk View Post
Folks, here is an advert on our organisation's intranet. I am yet to speak to the seller to dig out more info and if it comes to it, will go for a test drive. Here's the first cut (as advertised):
Type : * Car
Make : * Tata Safari EXI 4WD
Model : * Tata Safari EXI 4WD
Year of Mfg/Yrs. in use : * 2003
Kms. run : * 80000
Yr of purchase : * 2003
Price Range (Amount): 2.5L
Other Features : BLACK Color, 2.1 ltr, 135PS ,Petrol ,Mileage 7 KM/L in city and 11 KM/L on highway.ABS Power Steering Power windows alloy wheels

The preliminary questions that I have:
  1. Notwithstanding the condition of the car, does the deal look alright to get involved in further talks?
  2. Did EXI 4WD 2003 come with ABS? Was the engine 2.1 ltr?
  3. Will the car be very prone to intensive maintenance based on the Safari owners' general experience post 80k kms on odo?
I searched for used non-dicor safari thread but couldn't find one hence posting it here. If found inappropriate, moderators please feel free to move the post.

Thanks!
Hi,
The car you mentioned here is the 2.1L petrol safari.The 2.1L Exi has and ABS as standard feature(I think the Exi petrol safari have airbags also).The resale of petrol safari is too low and the above mentioned car has done 80k.Definetely 2.5 seems to be on the higher side.Better look out for a well maintained Non-dicor safari in this range.

Last edited by stable rock : 2nd June 2009 at 13:10.
Old 2nd June 2009, 13:19   #206
abk
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,
The car you mentioned here is the 2.1L petrol safari.The 2.1L Exi has and ABS as standard feature(I think the Exi petrol safari have airbags also).The resale of petrol safari is too low and the above mentioned car has done 80k.Definetely 2.5 seems to be on the higher side.Better look out for a well maintained Non-dicor safari in this range.
Thanks stable rock! I just spoke to the seller and he confirmed it indeed is the petrol Safari and therefore, I turned down the offer. He, however, did tell me one of his friends wants to sell off a Dicor. Am waiting to get the details of the car.
Old 21st February 2010, 23:10   #207
BHPian

Used Safari

I am posting this on behalf of my friend.

He is planning to buy his first Car and has always had a thing for Safaris.
The total budget is around 5 lacs. The smartest thing would be to extend the same and go for a Swift. But we are planning to get a 2nd Hand Safari.

The question that i have for the gurus
a) Are there any potential issues with a Used Safari.
b) Would there be lots of maintenance involved.
c) What should be the Year and Version that we need to be looking at.
d) What is the base line mileage (Read as total distance covered) that we should be looking at as a bench mark.
e) While evaluating possible buys, what specific details do we need to look at.

@ Mods, i used the search option, but didnt really get comprehensive answers :( .

Thanks,
TR
Old 22nd February 2010, 00:26   #208
BHPian

Find my replies inline in bold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToroRosso View Post
I am posting this on behalf of my friend.

He is planning to buy his first Car and has always had a thing for Safaris.
The total budget is around 5 lacs. The smartest thing would be to extend the same and go for a Swift. But we are planning to get a 2nd Hand Safari.

The question that i have for the gurus
a) Are there any potential issues with a Used Safari.
Depends on which model you are looking for.
TCIC- earliest ones. No issues.But underpowered
3.0 L - electrical issues do pop up.So look out for them while purchasing.
2.2 VTT - You will not get them within your budget of 5Lacs,I guess
b) Would there be lots of maintenance involved.
Not if you do a good PDI at the time of buying
c) What should be the Year and Version that we need to be looking at.
I guess in your budget you have only 3.0L as the option for purchase.
Yet its a pretty good variant of the safari lineage.

d) What is the base line mileage (Read as total distance covered) that we should be looking at as a bench mark.
Anything under 79K should be fair enough.why 79K, just a magic number.I usually suggest this number to my friends going in for SUVs.
For cars I always prefer a mileage of less than 50k

e) While evaluating possible buys, what specific details do we need to look at.
Do not buy without taking it for an inspection at T.A.S.S.Last weekend my friend purchased a safari and when he took it to task this weekend he came to know that the mileage has been switched back by a neat 70k kms.
So keep the T.A.S.S involved for inspection purposes.You might have to shell a 500 rupee note but it will give you peace of mind over the purchase.

@ Mods, i used the search option, but didnt really get comprehensive answers :( .

Thanks,
TR

Last edited by Alter_Ego : 22nd February 2010 at 00:28.
Alter_Ego is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2010, 06:39   #209
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

@TorroRosso:

If you are buying the older TCIC version it is okay after the warranty period since there is hardly any electronics in the engine and the car can be serviced by a good Sumo mechanic. But if you are buying the DICOR version, be prepared for potentially hefty bills. Read through Suman's Safari ownership thread, he has used his Safari like an SUV should be used and not pampered/babied like some other safari's on this forum.

He also has given a very unbiased and frank ownership report. Read through his thread, look at the parts and cost of parts replaced under warranty. See if you can stomach the bill for these parts post warranty if the issues crop up and then go for it.

Safari is a great vehicle, but like the Bullet you absolutely have to love one and need a dose of patience to own a second hand one after the warranty has expired. If you ask me it makes sense for people who buy new and sell it before the 4 year 1.5 lakh warranty expires.

If you friend is absolutely set on the Safari, I would recommend to go for the 2.0 Liter TCIC or the 2.2 DICOR. You should be able to get an 2007 2.2 LX in your budget. I wouldn't recommend the 3.0 dicor since that engine was made only for a limited period due to the delay in launching the 2.2 VVTI.
Old 22nd February 2010, 09:26   #210
Senior - BHPian

Man, you are two days late I guess. One of the best maintained Safari 3L 4x4 I know was sold off recently to a lucky buyer.

Check with Tata if they can provide AMC for Safari.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks