Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2011, 14:15   #256
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Buying a Used Tata Safari?

3.75L is a good price for the model but it will not take 6 adults + 2 kids. Basically only a vehicle with 3 rows of front facing seats can take 6 adults + 2 kids in comfort and yet that is just one of criterias. The Scorpio does not do a great job of it either, the Xylo / innova are better at that besides the Grande MarkII.

Sometimes we do over calculate on every one in the family going at the same time.
Old 26th April 2011, 18:20   #257
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Murx View Post
In soon time it will be family of 6 adults and 2 kids.Some things that i noted were as follows:
This safari dicor is a 2006 EX variant and has clocked 70000 kms.

Taking into considerations is it worth a buy ? I am a bit tempted at the cosmetic appearance since it has been well maintained.
70k kms for a Safari somehow doesn't cut it with me, especially with the old 3.0 liter engine. It is also 5 years old now and it is not the VX which has ABS and airbags which, in today's scenario make a lot of sense.

Also, like ACM said, the Safari is a comfortable 5 seater, like the Scorpio for example and not a 7 seater though it is sold as one. Go for it only if you can't wait or can't afford a used Innova or a Xylo.
Old 26th April 2011, 23:56   #258
BHPian

Actually thing is that i am hunting for big vehicles. I am enquiring about every scorpio, innova, and safari that i come across. Though at times i run in to ask for an endeavour too ! I have seen couple of innova but they are quoted around 8-9. In such case what my dad says is that if we are spending 8L for a used car then we should spend another 1L and get a new scorpio. Two vehicles that i am not asking for are Tavera and Xylo because somehow i dont like the appearance of the Xylo whereas Tavera gives feeling of a taxi. Have seen some scorpios too and the quote sound somewhat reasonable but in such cases its old model so again confused.

Last edited by David Murx : 26th April 2011 at 23:57.
Old 27th April 2011, 00:08   #259
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Murx View Post
Actually thing is that i am hunting for big vehicles. I am enquiring about every scorpio, innova, and safari that i come across. Though at times i run in to ask for an endeavour too ! I have seen couple of innova but they are quoted around 8-9. In such case what my dad says is that if we are spending 8L for a used car then we should spend another 1L and get a new scorpio. Two vehicles that i am not asking for are Tavera and Xylo because somehow i dont like the appearance of the Xylo whereas Tavera gives feeling of a taxi. Have seen some scorpios too and the quote sound somewhat reasonable but in such cases its old model so again confused.
One thing I always believe is, if you are buying a car with a good re-sale, always buy it new ! Else buy pre-owned cars. The primary reason for me to think this way is the atrocious price quoted for used Innovas! I have seen quotes of 8-9L for 70K run vehicles. Its insane ! Yeah, I know thats the brand value and the vehicle is worth it - but I would spend those extra lakhs and buy a new one for which I am sure I will have a good re-sale later.

And except for the 2.2 VTT, I would not look at high mileage Safaris.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 27th April 2011 at 00:09.
Old 27th April 2011, 09:57   #260
Senior - BHPian

I do not think that a five year old Safari, especially from a dealer is the right vehicle to buy, even at < 4L. You will have to spend quite a sum on overhauling the suspension, changing rubber parts and all belts and timing chain. This is apart from brake job and tyres. On the whole you can end up spending upwards of 1L before touching the interiors. So you end up spending around 5-6L.

As a people carrier nothing beats an Innova, Forget Safari or Scorpio. So try and save for a new one. As old ones sell for a ridiculous price, a new one makes more sense.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2011, 12:56   #261
Senior - BHPian

70k on a Safari then please stay away from it!

i feel there are only couple of brands which you can consider on the high mileage run pre-owned cars, Honda and Toyota.
Old 27th April 2011, 13:20   #262
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post

i feel there are only couple of brands which you can consider on the high mileage run pre-owned cars, Honda and Toyota.

Mine has done 82k plus, Suman's had done 1lac plus and know few with has done similar with no issue.

What made you say that line? From experience?
Old 27th April 2011, 13:37   #263
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post

There are quite a few forum members who have clocked 1-2L in their Safaris and Scorpios. What matters is the care taken including regular maintenance, rather than milage.
Old 27th April 2011, 15:06   #264
Senior - BHPian

Well i dint say that other brands are not capable of clocking kms beyond 70k or a lac. what i meant was while buying a pre-owned car with that kind of milage anyday Honda or Toyota will be a safer choice.
yes i do know many Scorpio/Safaris which have clocked loads on kms.

JKdas, you can say so, sometime back i had seriously considered of picking a Safari(pre-owned) and since i own a Fiat on my visit to TASS got to speak to SA/Mechs and some owners and the feedback was that i pick a new one.

Issue is with the niggles which you can certainly avoid in the brands i have mentioned earlier, previously i owned a 99 Honda City.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Mine has done 82k plus, Suman's had done 1lac plus and know few with has done similar with no issue.

What made you say that line? From experience?
Old 27th April 2011, 16:05   #265
Senior - BHPian

Even if it is 3.0 liter DICOR and somebody finds it in immaculate condition, then I think one should buy considering the price advantage. 3.0 liter DICOR is selling at less price average than 2.2 liter DICOR.

Many people says it is failure but nobody tell the reason. I believe 3.0 liter DICOR is not failure but just a variant in Safari Engine.
Old 27th April 2011, 17:00   #266
Senior - BHPian

mercidiced on this forum purchased a used TCIC Safari contrary to popular wisdom and using it , It has done 2.4 Lakh KM now. I think Suman has here 3.0 L Safari and crossed 1 lakh KM with out any major issue.
There are few more 1.5 L KM + TCIC Safaris now on T-BHP.

And as of now I have not heard any major issue with 3.0 Liter engine. Get the vehicle checked at a good TA.S.S ask specially pay attention on compression test and injector back pressure test ( ask them to do it) . T.A.S.S charges 450Rs I think for evaluation.

Think about it that if you are getting a 3L safari at ultra low price then even considering all your maintenance cost it will work out lot cheaper then a new /used other brand for instance.

Nothing can be said extremely reliable in this price band and segment , check the Xylo trouble thread for example.

One thing you should keep in mind is that maintaining an Old Safari will be lot lighter on pocket then maintaining an old innova.
Just check the cost of replacing suspension bush and tie-rods for both.

Last edited by amitk26 : 27th April 2011 at 17:05.
Old 28th April 2011, 10:38   #267
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Yep I would go with what Amitk mentions. Parts of the Safari Suspension are actually quite reasonable (Mahindra parts too are reasonable) but Toyota Innova has an expensive suspension and if something does go wrong (which it will eventually for all cars) then the bills will be higher.

But if on the other hand the Idea is to get a car which has run close to 100k km on the odo and spend nothing on special maintenance then it is an incorrect assumption. A safari 3.0 will be reasonable to maintain but it will still cost a bit from time to time.
Old 28th April 2011, 11:01   #268
Senior - BHPian

Just to add to what has already been said below, average cost of the 10k kms service is around 5k or so. Alternator condition, self starter, suspension, steering box & tyres are some of the things to look out for in a 70k kms vehicle. And the 450 mentioned by Amit for the evaluation seems quite reasonable.

Mine's now completed 102k kms btw.
Old 28th April 2011, 20:36   #269
BHPian

Even with high or low mileage, a used car is always bought with some risk, except for cases where cars where maintained perfectly.

In general a Safari seems slightly unreliable compared to for eg:- Toyota, guess its more to do with the TASS as well. Scorpio and safari seems in same league, interestingly

I have had many occassions where mechanical or electrical trouble irritated me, because the TASS did not fix a problem reported earlier correctly or did not check proactively ( i have many examples of such carelessness). One good thing i feel about the tata car is somehow it manages to reach home safely, except for tyre puncture.

This is my second safari, (on the first, TCIC did 125K kms in about 1.5years and current one bought new is 76k kms in 2.10 years) and still running strong. I would recommend a safari for anyone who wants one and cannot afford a fortuner or pajero (both way over priced)

When it comes to used car, regardless of the brand, i always take it with a pinch of salt. Somehow i know of people falling into this trap regularly just because the brand is for eg: a toyota (a lot of friends burned hands in buying used Innova and plagued with daily problems) Ulitmately car life and reliability depends on its maintenance and usage. Ensure the buyer does due diligence before deciding on a used car regardless of the brand.

I pretty much do an average of two trips to trivandrum every month and its a blessing to drive a safari non stop with luggage. Expect niggles every now and then (thanks to poor quality checks from factory and TASS) but trust me maintenance is far easier and cheaper if its within the warranty period. Somehow the resale value is pathetic, and i can attribute that to the brand image of tata cars (fairs badly on quality)
Old 29th April 2011, 11:11   #270
Senior - BHPian

The 3.0 ltr engine in teh Safari is bullet proof- the troubel is with electicals- also in the earlier 3.0s the ECU was not a sealed unit but TML provided a retrofit for the same after the launch of the 2.2- I suffered ECU failure in my 3.0 due to water getting in the ECU.

the 3.0 has a life span of 500000kms according to TML (unofficial of course) provided the engine oil is changed every 10k, and the filters are regularly cleaned/replaced- Clutch life is ususally about 40k -50k in the 3.0 dicor- get all the belts replaced once in three years and this engine should serve you well.

Last edited by himanshugoswami : 29th April 2011 at 11:12.
himanshugoswami is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed