Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2011, 13:24   #271
Senior - BHPian

re: Buying a Used Tata Safari?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunishsamuel View Post
Even with high or low mileage, a used car is always bought with some risk, except for cases where cars where maintained perfectly.

This is my second safari, (on the first, TCIC did 125K kms in about 1.5years and current one bought new is 76k kms in 2.10 years) and still running strong. I would recommend a safari for anyone who wants one and cannot afford a fortuner or pajero (both way over priced)
125k in 1.5years ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Just to add to what has already been said below, average cost of the 10k kms service is around 5k or so. Alternator condition, self starter, suspension, steering box & tyres are some of the things to look out for in a 70k kms vehicle. And the 450 mentioned by Amit for the evaluation seems quite reasonable.

Mine's now completed 102k kms btw.
Try to get a Safari with extended warranty. Peace of mind IMHO as some stuff will be taken care of in it.

Suspension work should cost you 20K~
Alternator ~ 15k max

A well maintained Safari might not need suspension or alternator (these are examples) work even if it has done 70k. Only if you are unlucky or if the Safari had seen bad roads a lot suspension work would be needed. I was ok in spending 20k for suspension work at 60k as I never(almost) used to stop for humps/potholes; so I paid up for comfort & driving style.
Old 30th April 2011, 16:04   #272
Senior - BHPian

I bought a SAFARI with 85,000 on the clock and have not had too many issues with it. Its still running well and costs as much to maintain as a new one would.

One thing I want to know, vehicles nowadays come with digital odometers. Is it impossible to 'Doctor' them? In the olden days of analogue meters, people would never even consider the running since they knew that the odometer could be tampered with.
Old 1st May 2011, 10:01   #273
BHPian

It can also be done in digital odometer by disconnecting a wire which will stop the reading from increasing.
Old 1st May 2011, 11:33   #274
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRoadie View Post
It can also be done in digital odometer by disconnecting a wire which will stop the reading from increasing.
The mechanical odometers could be run in reverse also. The easiest method was to connect the odometer to a drill and run it in reverse and the readings would decrease.

In a digital odometer if you have access to the circuitry, you can change the flash memory and get any reading you want, it just requires more instruments compared to the older ones.
Old 5th June 2011, 19:25   #275
BHPian

Safari Gurus,
At last I decided to reclaim my life . I was using a lancerLE Diesel and scorpio and a CJ5004WD,few months back Sold the Lancer and Jeep and Now sold the Scorpio too.Now looking for a better family 4x4. So decided to buy a used tata safari 2.2 4WD I am sure I will get the comfort of Lancer,Power of the scorpio and definitely a 4WD.
Its like (Lancer Diesel + Scorpio CRDe + CJ5004WD) / little compromise = Safari 2.2 VVt 4WD (VX or GX) .
Please help.
tomorrow I am going to check one 2009 model VX 4WD safari (30K kilometers done).
What are the important things we need to check while testing a safari 2.2 vvt 4WD ?
What will be the decent price for a 2009 ,2010 safari 4WD VX,GX ?

- Sreejesh

Last edited by sreejeshmp : 5th June 2011 at 19:38.
Old 8th June 2011, 09:25   #276
BHPian

I am also on the look out for used Safari dicor 4x4. But my budget is max 4L, guess with this i can get a 3.0 dicor not sure about 2.2

I currently have 2005 esteem which will be used by my dad or wifey after i get a family 4x4. Initially i thought of selling off my esteem and then go for the Safari. But my dad and wifey very much oppose this. They like the car more than i thought...

Anyways, do let me know if anyone comes across a dicor 4x4 within 4L in Bangalore.
Old 8th June 2011, 14:36   #277
BHPian

Hello to all GURU's
I checked on a Safari VX 2007 Model and had some queries to you all before cutting the final deal in Pune.
I checked the manufacturing date on all the Glasses and i found that the rear glass is 2006, side glasses are 2007 and the front wind screen is 2008. I checked with the owner and he mentioned about a stone crash landing on his windscreen from a truck in front of him.
Can that be true as there are no scratches on the bonnet?
Secondly there is no NCB for on the vehicle that means everything is utilised. so does it mean its a vehicle which has had accident in the last year?
pl help me in making a decision. Price expected is 6.50 lac and vehicle is driven 51K kms in pune.
Old 30th June 2011, 20:21   #278
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krdeshmukh View Post
Secondly there is no NCB for on the vehicle that means everything is utilised. so does it mean its a vehicle which has had accident in the last year?
pl help me in making a decision. Price expected is 6.50 lac and vehicle is driven 51K kms in pune.
Does this guy maintain his service history? Try taking the car to the redular service centre and run a complete check on the history. Also I guess you can get the details of the claim from the insurance guys. This way you can check on the previous issues the car has gone thru!

For a complete check on this car, it will be good if you have some known mechanics.

Note
: If the guy refuses to part with previous history, or don't allow you to check on the car, just walk away.Also try negotiating to 5.5L - 6.0L than 6.5L
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2011, 20:25   #279
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejeshmp View Post
tomorrow I am going to check one 2009 model VX 4WD safari (30K kilometers done).
What are the important things we need to check while testing a safari 2.2 vvt 4WD ?
What will be the decent price for a 2009 ,2010 safari 4WD VX,GX ?
There are couple of Safaris [Trivandrum Medical College] in t-bhp classifieds. The price ranges from 5.75L - 6.5L I guess. You should be able to negotiate a 50K on it if the cars are still not sold. One is a VX & the other one is an EX I guess [Only one of them is a 4x4 I guess]. Being Kerala, I would assume stupid high price for any diesel cars you are going to check on the used market.

On 4x4, you might want to check whether its perfectly working, and also check when is the next service due and what all requires to be changed then. Check for the tyre condition, generally the tyres in Kerala roads are due replacement in 30K kms.

Offtopic:: Could you PM me the servicing costs of your Lancer D? I will be sending a PM with questions I have.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 30th June 2011 at 20:27.
Old 1st July 2011, 22:32   #280
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
There are couple of Safaris [Trivandrum Medical College] in t-bhp classifieds. The price ranges from 5.75L - 6.5L I guess. You should be able to negotiate a 50K on it if the cars are still not sold. One is a VX & the other one is an EX I guess [Only one of them is a 4x4 I guess]. Being Kerala, I would assume stupid high price for any diesel cars you are going to check on the used market.

On 4x4, you might want to check whether its perfectly working, and also check when is the next service due and what all requires to be changed then. Check for the tyre condition, generally the tyres in Kerala roads are due replacement in 30K kms.

Offtopic:: Could you PM me the servicing costs of your Lancer D? I will be sending a PM with questions I have.
In kerala Safaris are cheeper . I bought a Army MM550 reclaiming my life but with Jeep.
Old 3rd July 2011, 22:28   #281
BHPian

I have been considering a replacement of my beloved Ford Fusion, and a pre-owned Safari Dicor 2.2 VTT is one of the candidates i am considering. Though am based out of BLR, am open to Bombay cars as well (it's much cheaper up here).

Came across a 2007 DEC LX version for sale (under extended warranty) for sale. Done 55K for around 5.5L in Bombay. Owner claims to have all service records, runs on synthetic oil and self driven. Does it sound like a good deal? I may need to factor another 70-80K as road tax when i move it to BLR.

Am an armchair enthusiast and have little hands-on knowledge. Is there anything specific I need to check?

It will be primarily driven by my driver, to drop my wife and kid for a 35km roundtrip daily run to office/daycare and for the family on weekends for any occasional outstation trips? I would honestly want to swap places with my driver, but will probably do more weekend driving to compensate.

Other options we are considering include -
1. Ford Fusion Diesel (difficult to find one)
2. Ford Fiesta Diesel (not a fan of sedans though, thus the last option)
3. Tata Manza (very few samples in the used car market, the safari comes cheaper)
4. Toyota Innova (way way way above our budget)
5. Mahindra Scorpio (cramped rear seat did not impress)

And before anyone points out, yes our shortlist is all over the place.

Last edited by sachinayak : 3rd July 2011 at 22:38. Reason: to correct spelling mistakes
Old 3rd July 2011, 23:18   #282
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak
I have been considering a replacement of my beloved Ford Fusion, and a pre-owned Safari Dicor 2.2 VTT is one of the candidates i am considering. Though am based out of BLR, am open to Bombay cars as well (it's much cheaper up here).

Came across a 2007 DEC LX version for sale (under extended warranty) for sale. Done 55K for around 5.5L in Bombay. Owner claims to have all service records, runs on synthetic oil and self driven. Does it sound like a good deal? I may need to factor another 70-80K as road tax when i move it to BLR.
IMO a 4 year old lx with 50+ k on the odo shouldn't be more than 4 to 4.5 lacs. The rate you are being quoted is par for a Scorpio but not for a safari. Please don't get taken for a ride...
Old 3rd July 2011, 23:54   #283
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post
Am an armchair enthusiast and have little hands-on knowledge. Is there anything specific I need to check?
Since the vehicle is 55K and 4 years you may need new tires and battery ( if still running on OEM)

Apart from usual checks for papers, service record ,insurance record body panels for accident or any such things

Take vehicle to a good T.A.S.S and get a full evaluation done , ask them for compression test and injector back pressure test and to check timing belt, alternator ,fuel pump, battery , clutch , break pads , ask them to hoist it up and check under-body and suspension for bush wear and tear and tie rods.
They have an evaluation service for around 500Rs but ask for above things specifically.

It will give fair estimate of expenses you will need to bear immediately post purchase, break pads , clutch , tierods and bush are consumables so don't let the deal go becauae of them just factor in the price.

One set of break-pads and tie-rods replacement will cost around 5.5 ~ 6K and will be good for another 30-40 KM at-least depending on your driving style ( tie-rod may last even next 50K if you slow down on bumps and speed breakers)

Clutch job may set you back by around 8000Rs and new clutch may last anything from 40K KM to 1 Lakh KM depending on driving style.

As there are enough number of Safari 2.2 here my gut feel is at 55K the upcoming expenditure will be just tires,battery , break pad and tie rods at the max.
Old 4th July 2011, 17:16   #284
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Take vehicle to a good T.A.S.S and get a full evaluation done , ask them for compression test and injector back pressure test and to check timing belt, alternator ,fuel pump, battery , clutch , break pads , ask them to hoist it up and check under-body and suspension for bush wear and tear and tie rods.
They have an evaluation service for around 500Rs but ask for above things specifically.

It will give fair estimate of expenses you will need to bear immediately post purchase, break pads , clutch , tierods and bush are consumables so don't let the deal go becauae of them just factor in the price.
Amit, about these tests, are these doable without taking things/parts apart, e.g. non-intrusive? I may be selling my Safari, hence the question.
Old 5th July 2011, 00:50   #285
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeSan27 View Post
Amit, about these tests, are these doable without taking things/parts apart, e.g. non-intrusive? I may be selling my Safari, hence the question.
They are regular tests and T.A.S.S have an evaluation service which a buyer can avail . For compression test they need to place a gauge in-place of injector so they need to unscrew injector but that is normal.
In case of injector back pressure test they remove the upper plastic cover in engine bay and place some instrument over injector and connect laptop.

Few more things which I forgot to mention in last post were.

1. Get the turbo checked though nothing goes wrong with turbo
2. Wheel bearing check : if vehicle has done lot of water fording and bearings were never greased they may be shot.
3. Check sump and crank case for leaks etc.
4. General leaks etc.
5. Check AC
6. ECU scan for errors.

Check if gears are slotting properly , Keep in mind that pre 2010 Safaris have very heavy clutch and gear is more truck like so don't reject vehicle comparing it to a sedan

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks