Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2013, 13:47   #301
Senior - BHPian

Re: Pre Owned Safari

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaveed View Post
There is a 2005 SAFARI EX4X2 7STR DICOR 06 BS3, which has clocked 67k , asking price is 2.6l, but as you said keep away from dicor i am not sure .
2.2 Dicor is definitely a more refined engine that a 3.0 Dicor but you should not out-rightly reject the latter. On this forum we have some excellent examples of 3.0 DICOR's running like a gem. Be aware, however, that both engines are as different as chalk and cheese when it comes to performance delivery and are suited to different types of driving styles.

Quote:
How do i differentiate whether between the engines?
The registration booklet will have the model specified as "DICOR" vs. "2.2L DICOR" - should be quite straightforward.

That said, I guess you should be able to get a 2007 2.2L Dicor for around 3.5 lacs.
Old 2nd December 2013, 14:15   #302
Distinguished - BHPian

Expect some big service charges as you approach the 1L mark on the 3.0.
One person I know was facing problems & finally sold the vehicle at that point.

Last edited by condor : 2nd December 2013 at 14:16.
Old 2nd December 2013, 14:51   #303
BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,

One of my friends is looking to a buy a pre-owned safari > 2007 .
I suggest to slightly stretch the budget and go for 2.2 L 2010 BS 4 model (we can also trust the odo readings of 3-4 years vehicle but no one can guarantee about odo reading of a vehicle more than 5 years).

TATAs every engine is having many generations and 2.2L is also not the exception. Initial 2.2l models were having early clutch and timing belt failure issues.
By the time TATA has overcome issues. Prefer the 2.2 model with 2.2 VTT badge at front fender (though it was done in BS3 era) instead of below rear windows after C pillar.

SAFARI’s each engine is very different from each other not only in terms of cubic centimeters but many technical aspects.
All models are TCIC (Turbo Charged Inter cooled) but
1. First 1948 CC model runs on IDI ( In Direct Injection technology)
2. 3.0L dicor runs on pushrod technology with a chain driven single OHC
3. 2.2 L dicor runs on timing belt driven DOHC technology

Quote:
How are the maintenance costs (currently he owns a santro Xing)
One needs to die himself to see the haven (do not compare a safari and santro in maintenance aspect).
There are many ownership threads on Team-BHP for 2.2L safari & a distinguished thread on 2.2 L problem and solutions. Suggest your friend to go through the threads.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
Safari is bought with the heart,
The motto for buying a safari.

Last edited by (Alok) : 2nd December 2013 at 15:02.
(Alok) is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2013, 15:07   #304
BHPian

Quote:
There is a 2005 SAFARI EX4X2 7STR DICOR 06 BS3, which has clocked 67k , asking price is 2.6l, but as you said keep away from dicor i am not sure .

How do i differentiate whether between the engines?

Thank you, Sent you a PM.

Thanks

Hi Zaveed,

I owned a 2005 /06 registered safari VX 4*4 which was purchased in 2010 and sold in 2013.

owner ship thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ed-safari.html

if you can get an complete checkup done and ensure that all the services/issues are fixed if any then the vehicle would be a clean vehicle and you just need to get the periodic services.

But again as others said you would know more about the vehicle because electrical's fail quite often in safari.
Old 2nd December 2013, 17:23   #305
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Buying a Used Tata Safari?

My View as the owner of a TCIC Safari - 10 years - 175000 kms and also later a 2.2 Aria for 65,000 kms (from the engine prespective).

1) The TCIC - BAD IDEA even for Rs. 2L - is decent but compared to the vehicles today very underpowered for the weight of the vehicle and so I just do not recommend a Safari TCIC today (it was in my view ok to buy even about 4 years back but not today times have moved on). The plastics would be in very bad shape and most TCIC engines that you see would show 120,000 kms plus if there are genunine kms (there can be exceptions but the likely figure is actually 150,000 kms plus). Engine issues should be just round the corner. I replaced the turbo around 150,000 kms and a lots of other stuff as well from 120,000 kms onwards. It is reliable and definately a good engine but everything ages, the internals will be crumbling appart by now, hence a THUMBS DOWN from me.

2) Dicor 3.0 - BAD IDEA - -ves even at 3L - Electricals and interiors though in better condition than in the Safari TCIC will be coming appart by now and there will be increased incidences of failures. Also the Engine was much heavier than the TCIC but did not bring in sufficient increase in power to justify the change. These are know to be unrefined and not too reliable. It was TATA trying out the Dicor black magic for the first time. THUMBS DOWN

3) Safari 2.2 Dicor 2007-2009 - The vehicle is a decent buy between 4-5L but the early Dicors did have issues that were resolved over time. By now the 4 year warranty would be over, but yet if the budget premits no more than these can be considered but to keep spare about Rs. 1L over the next 3 years for maintenance. It may be just 40K that you spend but it could even be 1.5L. OK BUY

4) 2.2 Dicore - 2010-2012 - 5L-8L - GOOD IDEA - There will be issues but most were sorted out before this lot, if you get a good one for about 6-7L it will be worth buying expecially with 2 years of warranty remaining. Go for the GX or the VX. - GOOD BUY
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2013, 17:23   #306
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Alok) View Post
I suggest to slightly stretch the budget and go for 2.2 L 2010 BS 4 model (we can also trust the odo readings of 3-4 years vehicle but no one can guarantee about odo reading of a vehicle more than 5 years).
Alok-- thank you for the inputs, while i would like him to raise stretch the budget but highly unlikely.(he has even said at times that he is fine with a 2000 to 2004 model which would cost 1.5 or 2 and then he would spend another 1 L on getting the car upto speed)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEEDY_RACER View Post
Hi Zaveed,

I owned a 2005 /06 registered safari VX 4*4 which was purchased in 2010 and sold in 2013.....
@Speedy_racer : thank you for the insights.

we are still searching.

on the other hand, there seems to be a 2002 model TATA SAFARI EX 4X4 with 130000 km on the odo, asking price is on a bit higher side and the vehicle looks to be beaten up roughly.attached is a pic. what price can be paid for this vehicle?

thank you all for all the help.
Attached Thumbnails
Buying a Used Tata Safari?-tse.jpg  

Old 2nd December 2013, 18:10   #307
BHPian

Quote:
he is fine with a 2000 to 2004 model which would cost 1.5 or 2 and then he would spend another 1 L on getting the car upto speed)
OK. Then the 2.0 IDI model is the right (only) choice. It is good to go with simple mechanicals.

4x4 equipped is a mouthwatering but again a 4x4 vehicle is used for 4x4 terrains, required a thorough under body check.

No one can say anything without seeing personally. You can roughly go for 70-80% of insured value. Such an old vehicle valued by age and not by condition.

There was a unique feature in first generation sierras & sumos, to engage reverse gear the shifter to puller slightly up in sierra and shifter to be pushed down in first generation sumos (driver need to force very light co passenger cannot notice it).

Can anyone confirm this feature for earlier safaris?
Old 3rd December 2013, 10:31   #308
BHPian

Quote:
Alok-- thank you for the inputs, while i would like him to raise stretch the budget but highly unlikely.(he has even said at times that he is fine with a 2000 to 2004 model which would cost 1.5 or 2 and then he would spend another 1 L on getting the car upto speed)

@Speedy_racer : thank you for the insights.

we are still searching.

on the other hand, there seems to be a 2002 model TATA SAFARI EX 4X4 with 130000 km on the odo, asking price is on a bit higher side and the vehicle looks to be beaten up roughly.attached is a pic. what price can be paid for this vehicle?

thank you all for all the help.
These one looks indeed pretty beaten up. and i would stay away from it by its looks and the price the owner is asking do we know how much the owner is asking.

i would not pay more than 1.3 to 1.5 lakhs keeping in mind i have to spend close to a lakh to get it complete niggle free.
Old 3rd December 2013, 11:32   #309
BHPian

Quote:
These one looks indeed pretty beaten up. and i would stay away from it by its looks and the price the owner is asking do we know how much the owner is asking.

i would not pay more than 1.3 to 1.5 lakhs keeping in mind i have to spend close to a lakh to get it complete niggle free.
@Speedy_Racer : Price is double than what you had quoted, asking price is 2.6 L .

Even i had the same price in mind 1-1.3 L , but not sure for even that price is it worth, as it is 11 years old and also the availability of parts is the other thing that i am thinking of.

Thanks
Old 4th December 2013, 14:51   #310
BHPian

Quote:

Saw 2005 LX 3.0 (2nd Owner) with 128000 kms on the odo, asking price is 2.7 L, i checked the vehicle and quoted 2 L but he was not willing to let it go for this price.

Is that the correct price ?
Attached Thumbnails
Buying a Used Tata Safari?-11.jpg  

Buying a Used Tata Safari?-1.jpg  

Buying a Used Tata Safari?-2.jpg  

Buying a Used Tata Safari?-3.jpg  

Buying a Used Tata Safari?-4.jpg  

Buying a Used Tata Safari?-5.jpg  

Last edited by zaveed : 4th December 2013 at 14:55.
Old 4th December 2013, 15:07   #311
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Saw 2005 LX 3.0 (2nd Owner) with 128000 kms on the odo, asking price is 2.7 L, i checked the vehicle and quoted 2 L but he was not willing to let it go for this price. Is that the correct price ?
At the outset, the car looks well maintained, both internally as well as externally. Depending on how it runs, I'd say 2.25-2.30 should be a good deal if you can get him down to this.
Old 4th December 2013, 15:13   #312
BHPian

Quote:
Saw 2005 LX 3.0 (2nd Owner) with 128000 kms on the odo, asking price is 2.7 L, i checked the vehicle and quoted 2 L but he was not willing to let it go for this price.

Is that the correct price ?
Looking at the pics i can say that the Seat covers are new, looks like the owner wanted to give the vehicle fresh look.

couple of questions:

1. When did the second owner acquired it?
2. Whats the reason behind selling it?

but looking at the pics of engine bay i guess you need to work on the electrical's and remove un-wanted connections if not required and these vehicle requires a complete service checkup(including a check on suspension).

but the price max which we can offer would be 2.2 to 2.3 lakhs(and if the answers for the above are positive then 5 k more)
Old 8th December 2013, 13:12   #313
Senior - BHPian

re: Buying a Used Tata Safari?

One thing which makes me happy is 2.2 vtt resale value is better then geberal perception of 2nd habd safari being dirt cheap.
Old 8th December 2013, 13:21   #314
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Saw 2005 LX 3.0 (2nd Owner) with 128000 kms on the odo, asking price is 2.7 L,
Zaveed, did you get the engine checked well ? Stuff like compression etc ? Has it been through all the important servicing work like timing belt etc ? Is there any oil leaks etc ?

2.25, 2.30 like SpeedyRacer says.
Old 8th December 2013, 16:06   #315
BHPian

Quote:
Looking at the pics i can say that the Seat covers are new, looks like the owner wanted to give the vehicle fresh look.

couple of questions:

1. When did the second owner acquired it?
2. Whats the reason behind selling it?

but looking at the pics of engine bay i guess you need to work on the electrical's and remove un-wanted connections if not required and these vehicle requires a complete service checkup(including a check on suspension).

but the price max which we can offer would be 2.2 to 2.3 lakhs(and if the answers for the above are positive then 5 k more)
Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Zaveed, did you get the engine checked well ? Stuff like compression etc ? Has it been through all the important servicing work like timing belt etc ? Is there any oil leaks etc ?

2.25, 2.30 like SpeedyRacer says.
I saw the vehicle and got an appointment at TASS to get it checked but this guy backed out at the last moment and said he does not want to sell it now, he would require the vehicle for 3-4 months.

I have a occasion at home for which i wanted to get this vehicle which did not happen. i am thinking to wait for 3-4 months now and then get a 2.2l 2008 which i would get probably at 2.5-3.0 .

Thanks for all the inputs and help.

Most Viewed