Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2016, 17:47   #406
BHPian

Re: Buying a Used Tata Safari?

I sold my 3L Safari LX 2007 that had run 1.2L kms recently for 2.2L (3 liter Safari that had run 1.2 lakh kms for Rs. 2.2 Lakh ). It is an extremely comfortable highway cruiser, absorber of bad roads and small road humps. Regular maintenance had kept my vehicle in top condition. The clutch was delicate and the plate had to be replaced at 80K and the suspension was refurbished at 1L kms. I would have loved to keep the vehicle for longer but repair costs were rising with every service and the family wanted a new car. Given a chance, I would buy the safari again.
wanderlust is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th May 2016, 15:46   #407
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
10 year ban?
I really dont see that coming through.
A CRV, Xtrail, Vitar, Outlander, theyre not available for similar amounts,every one of them is north of 5 Lac. And then they are thirsty. One thing is for certain, the cost of petrol vs the mileage, is the killer.
Its already in place in NCR. There are other threads regarding this stupid decision by the NGT. You will not be able to sell your car after 10 years as name cannot be changed neither can you get an NOC from the RTO. I have a 2005 less than 1 Lakh used innova which would have got me decent money but is now stuck with me as it can't be sold. I believe you should take that into consideration. An SUV below 5L will be heavily abused if it's available for such low prices. Even good safari's will be costing close to 5L. Cars available for 2-3L will cost you a lot in upkeep and keep you busy with their troubles. I believe you should up your budget before buying an SUV and continuing with your current rides for some more time.
Old 4th May 2016, 18:45   #408
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaFan View Post

Its already in place in NCR. ---snip--- more time.
Actually, 2-3l is the going rate for safaris from that vintage. However, the non transferable aspect puts paid to that Avenue.
Back to the drawing board, and maintaining the Tucson. That's 10 years now, so I suppose it's for life.
Old 16th July 2016, 19:53   #409
BHPian

I am looking for a pre-owned Safari. I have always loved the Safari Dicor (more than the Storme) and due to the depreciation value of Safaris, I am a bit skeptical about buying a new one.

Anyway, came across a 2010 Dicor VX 4X4 which has run about 39k. I did check it out. From the outside it looks well maintained, no rust and very few minor scratches. Engine wise, the acceleration seemed good during the short test drive, clutch action was predictable and not very hard and did not hear any abnormal sounds from inside the cabin or the engine bay. There was a slight chirping noise from the brake pedal though. Could not check the 4X4 system. The dealer is quoting about 7L and was able to get it down to 6.3L. But even that seems a bit steep to me for a pre-owned Safari.

Would appreciate the forum members'/Safari owners' advise. And also, is there anything specific I should check before closing the deal (in case I go for this!!)?
Old 16th July 2016, 20:47   #410
BHPian

6.3 Lakh for a 2010 Safari is absolutely absurd. At maximum it may go for 5-5.5 Lakhs, the Safari is a tough vehicle to maintain past it's prime, but like most TATAs they are very sturdy and is as safe as a tank. The Safari is a car which you buys with your heart.
Old 16th July 2016, 22:51   #411
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Haddock View Post
6.3 Lakh for a 2010 Safari is absolutely absurd.
What would be a suitable price for the 4x2 version of the top end 2010 VX ?
Old 17th July 2016, 10:34   #412
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerd1200 View Post
I am looking for a pre-owned Safari. I have always loved the Safari Dicor (more than the Storme) and due to the depreciation value of Safaris, I am a bit skeptical about buying a new one.

Anyway, came across a 2010 Dicor VX 4X4 which has run about 39k. I did check it out. From the outside it looks well maintained, no rust and very few minor scratches. Engine wise, the acceleration seemed good during the short test drive, clutch action was predictable and not very hard and did not hear any abnormal sounds from inside the cabin or the engine bay. There was a slight chirping noise from the brake pedal though. Could not check the 4X4 system. The dealer is quoting about 7L and was able to get it down to 6.3L. But even that seems a bit steep to me for a pre-owned Safari.

Would appreciate the forum members'/Safari owners' advise. And also, is there anything specific I should check before closing the deal (in case I go for this!!)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
What would be a suitable price for the 4x2 version of the top end 2010 VX ?
As far i know some where around 4.5 to 5.5 if the vehicle is in excellent condition irrespective of its 4*2 or 4*4. i have seen in the same price range.
My friend sold a 2011 EX for 4.9 lakhs which was in excellent condition but it was second owner vehicle and it was a 4*4 and there were no buyers for him beyond that price.
Old 14th August 2016, 23:17   #413
BHPian

Hello
Safari gets a low price if you do not wait it out
I sold my safari gx 4x2 2010 for 2.4L
It was clocked 39000
Had spent a bit by doing engine work so was hard to let go but since my car was a standing resort for rats sold it and bought a used scorpio 2011 vlx automatic for 6L (as my wife uses cars and requires automatic suv)
Scorpios well kept fetch higher price than safari
My opinion would be to check
1) wiring if the car at injectors (this itself causes most damages)
2) a engine run atleast 50-60k (my opinion a sparsely run car like safari may hv more unseen troubles)

And if u buying from a dealer show him the intent that u will buy outright but give him a realistic quote. A vx 4x4 with airbags generally sell at a bit higher price a vx 4x2 a bit less but any other variant just go for the kill

Also invest in a obd2 scanner. I always carry this with me to scan the ecu for any logged errors. Has saved me many bad cars

All the best. Safari is amazing car if u take good care of it

Last edited by lodhra : 14th August 2016 at 23:19.
Old 15th August 2016, 06:52   #414
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lodhra View Post
Also invest in a obd2 scanner. I always carry this with me to scan the ecu for any logged errors. Has saved me many bad cars
Off topic for this thread,
but I thought they are not using generic codes. Hence not very easy to decode ?
Old 15th August 2016, 07:12   #415
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Off topic for this thread,
but I thought they are not using generic codes. Hence not very easy to decode ?
Codes are quite standard. Depends on which app one is using. I use the OBDcardoctor on iphonevand it works pretty well. Have scanned ford endevours, scorpios , hyundais etc in my recent search for used cars and even my friends take me with them for inspections. It really helps in knowing wiring issues or previous logged errors with cars and one can get a good price by using it as negotiation tool

Admins sorry if its offtopic. I just mentioned this as an additional tip while buying used cars
lodhra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2016, 17:49   #416
BANNED

I am also looking for pre owned Safari/Storme for a friend but since the Storme didn't sell a lot and the Safari hardly sold after the Storme, it is either an abused vehicle or a dealer vehicle which is available, at least at Bangalore.

Someone had the gall to quote INR 3 lac for a 2005 LX done 1.2 lac km.
Old 8th December 2016, 01:07   #417
BHPian

Hi guys,

I own a 2012 model Safari Dicor 2.2, LX 4x2, driven around 65000km, Its been with me for a few months, and I'm not satisfied with its performance especially after driving a 2009 Pajero. I'm a little confused whether to give the Safari a remap or try to sell it off, any idea what is a realistic price for me to expect for this truck? Any inputs will be appreciated!
Old 8th December 2016, 08:34   #418
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueRider View Post
I'm not satisfied with its performance especially after driving a 2009 Pajero. I'm a little confused whether to give the Safari a remap or try to sell it off,
Is it just the power related performance that you are not happy with ?
Old 8th December 2016, 16:18   #419
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
due to the depreciation value of Safaris, I am a bit skeptical about buying a new one.
Does not make sense buying a new DiCOR now that it is almost at end-of-life. Moreover, you will get only LX and EX variants, with a waiting period of 3-4 months. So no 4x4 as well. However, Storme is a very capable SUV and excellent VFM proposition.

Quote:
Anyway, came across a 2010 Dicor VX 4X4 which has run about 39k... The dealer is quoting about 7L and was able to get it down to 6.3L. But even that seems a bit steep to me for a pre-owned Safari.
The quote is bound to be inflated since it is coming from a dealer. Try and get hold of individual buyers - quite a few on TBHP classifieds. However, note that running is quite low - 39K is nothing for a diesel - which means that the engine has not lived even a third of its life. Moreover, it is a top-end 4x4 model. If it has been maintained well (cosmetically and mechanically), a realistic expectation would be in the range of Rs. 5.75-6.00 lac.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEEDY_RACER View Post
As far i know some where around 4.5 to 5.5 if the vehicle is in excellent condition irrespective of its 4*2 or 4*4. i have seen in the same price range.
I would disagree. A 4x4 would command a better price by a margin of at least 40-50K, more so for EX since this variant had alloys for 4x4 as opposed to steel rims for 2WD.

Last edited by cool_dube : 8th December 2016 at 16:29.
Old 8th December 2016, 18:00   #420
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
I would disagree. A 4x4 would command a better price by a margin of at least 40-50K, more so for EX since this variant had alloys for 4x4 as opposed to steel rims for 2WD.
I would agree what you said from an individual perspective, even i was in the same boat as you when i had planned to sell my Safari 4*4 Dicor 3ltr top end 2005 model which was sold in 2013 was expecting around 4 lakhs and i was able to sell it to an individual even lesser than the expected price. The dealers quoted half the price of the expectation and they use the same story that the vehicle doesn't carry market price or resale value and more over they say its a 4*4. Even now i am chasing the owner to sell it back to me and he is not ready to part the truck less than 5L which he will never get and he still finding out a buyer even today.

More information on my owner ship is below:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ed-safari.html

Last edited by SPEEDY_RACER : 8th December 2016 at 18:01.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks