Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2018, 11:40   #451
BHPian

Re: Buying a Used Tata Safari?

Recently, while casually browsing some used car ads for my brother, I came across few ads of Safari Storme with around 50-70 k run going for prices below 5 lac.

As many issues in old Safari are fixed in Storme, Isn't this the most VFM used SUV option currently available in market?
Old 26th October 2018, 11:51   #452
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishal.R View Post
Recently, while casually browsing some used car ads for my brother, I came across few ads of Safari Storme with around 50-70 k run going for prices below 5 lac.

As many issues in old Safari are fixed in Storme, Isn't this the most VFM used SUV option currently available in market?
Safari has always suffered from poor resale. That said, with all the malpractices (odo tampering, repaired accidental vehicles etc.) prevalent in the used market you never know until you actually get down to scrutinising the vehicle.
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2018, 12:43   #453
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawan_dubey View Post
Dear all,

I'm about to make a purchase on a 2008 Safari 2.2 Vx 4x4. The vehicle has clocked about 1.05 lakh kms. The owner has also spent quite a large sum to fix the vehicle (bills available) - suspension overhaul, timing belt, clutch, hoses and a host of other things.

My question is, would it be advisable to buy a Safari with more than 1 lakh kms on the odo? My primary requirement is to travel with my family (Wife + kid).
My 2 cents here,

Diesel vehicles need attentions after 50K-75K on the odo. Unless the owner has taken good care of the vehicle I would steer clear of this. Have a trusted friend or a mechanic review the car once. Check the condition of the turbo once. How often was the car serviced ? When was the tire and battery last changed ? How often was 4X4 engaged and I guess 4X4 systems too have some periodic maintenance [experts please comment].

The car in question is already 10 years old, do check for steering and other body issues.
Old 26th October 2018, 13:00   #454
BHPian

Quote:

The short answer is yes. For the resale it commands (or doesn't), a used Safari is one of the best VFM vehicles in the market today.

Another input, if the Dicor pulls anyone's heartstrings, keep an open mind to post 2011 models. These were very mature in their lifecycle and most niggles were addressed. I lived with one for almost 4 years, almost zero issues and negligible rattles or squeaks. And the Storme is better in pretty much every aspect.
avisidhu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2018, 15:25   #455
BHPian

Quote:

Hi Vishal, Safari Storme is a complete different vehicle when compared to the Dicor. I myself own a 2007 2.2 Dicor EX which has clocked about 1,10,000 Kms. I have driven my friend's Storme and its like a completely new beast.! The steering, clutch, gearbox are so refined when compared to the previous one. But if you have the inclination towards Dicor, then I guess its hard to settle for any other car. (Your's truly)

Keep scouting for the vehicles and I am sure you would find some good ones. You do find some enthusiasts who pamper the car a lot. You can always give a shot by looking at the service history, general condition of the vehicle, get it checked by a trusted mechanic. However, finding a mint condition low run Storme is a little difficult but not impossible. I found my Dicor on OLX - A Nov 2007 make 2.2 L Dicor with 48,000 km run in Feb 2014.! Yes you read it right.! 48K km in roughly 6 years plus.! The owner had the entire service history at a single TASS, original tyres etc.

But low run cars generally demand a higher price than the market value. So you can strike a good deal with the seller. But please steer clear of the cars with no service history or an major accident history.!

Happy hunting.!
Ani0404 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th October 2018, 10:02   #456
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawan_dubey View Post
Dear all,

I'm about to make a purchase on a 2008 Safari 2.2 Vx 4x4. The vehicle has clocked about 1.05 lakh kms. The owner has also spent quite a large sum to fix the vehicle (bills available) - suspension overhaul, timing belt, clutch, hoses and a host of other things.

My question is, would it be advisable to buy a Safari with more than 1 lakh kms on the odo?

A Safari deteriorates due to age more than due to the km's run. You can find a better 5 yr old with 2 lakh on the odo than a 10 Yr old with a lakh on the odo. Look at the service history, and how recently has every thing been changed. If everything has been done a year or two ago and only regular service since, no issues, but if the car has had small things changed at every service, that kind of maintenance will continue.

Rahul
Old 27th October 2018, 18:22   #457
BANNED

Quote:
I came across few ads of Safari Storme with around 50-70 k run going for prices below 5 lac.
As long as you are buying a Storme, you can be assured that you will most likely get a reliable, easy to maintain Safari with none of the legacy niggles (plastics, rattling, suspension, steering, air conditioning etc) as long as the vehicle has a good service history and the owner's profile is ok.

Is a pre-owned Storme VFM? Hell, yes, I would pick one up after due scrutiny anyday over a new-gen Scorpio, for example.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2019, 20:59   #458
BHPian

Has Tata finally pulled the plug for Safari? What about the already hit or miss TASS? I own a DiCor Tata Grande, so I know.

And implementation of BS VI norms could not have come at the worse times.

So how prudent it is to buy a Safari? Getting a used one is like accepting that it won't bring any reasle value again ....ever.

I seriously want to buy one Varicor. They are available in the market for 6-7 lac with 60-70k on odo. But now I am used to the Tata Grande ride and it has really ruined the rides of other cars. Must have the Safari. What should be the price for a 3-4 year old 60-80k run one with a single owner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ani0404 View Post
I have driven my friend's Storme and its like a completely new beast.! The steering, clutch, gearbox are so refined when compared to the previous one. But if you have the inclination towards Dicor, then I guess its hard to settle for any other car.
I am selling my Tata Grande Dicor and looking for a preowned Safari. (I settled for Grande after I couldn't find a well maintained Safari). Now that I have pampered myself with the space, smooth ride, commanding driving position (power and fuel efficiency are also fantastic) .... but the availability of parts and TASS is forcing me to sell it)

I test drove a used Storme yesterday and wasn't impressed. The clutch 'assembly' has been replaced, I was told. The ride was not smooth at all. Too many vibrations ... even my wife who was on the second row felt them. The steering felt very light. Pick up was OK.

Am I making a mistake? Or should I go for a vintage Safari Dicor? There is one for sale in the classifieds 2007, 91000km, 4×4 ....

Or go for a brand new Storme? Or should I just forget about old design SUV?

And is there any car with ample leg space for the third row compared to Tata Grande?

Safari owners please guide.

Thanks.

Last edited by aah78 : 25th November 2019 at 21:43. Reason: Posts merged.
Old 14th March 2020, 13:13   #459
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drkalgaonkar View Post
Safari owners please guide.
Not very active on the forum, so just saw this query. My reply will be to address all your queries, as well as those of anyone crazy enough to think of buying a safari in this day and age.

Why you should buy the Storme?

1. Legendary space, comfort and ride quality. Believe me, there is no SUV (or no vehicle for that matter) in its price bracket that provides the 3 aforementioned characteristics better than the Safari. The seats are throne like and provide ample cushioning for all body types. A friend bought a Fortuner 4X4 shortly after I bought my Storme, and we swapped rides for a day. While the new fortuner's engine, mechanicals and features were in a different league, we both agreed that the Storme had more space and provided more comfortable ride over broken roads.

2. Ruggedness. Monocoque simply can't match the ruggedness of a body on frame design. The Duster is the only vehicle that comes close, but it is plagued with injector issues. If you're planning to do excursions, go for the Safari over modern SUVs.

3. The last Storme is a near perfect package. Tata took 22 years to perfect the beast, but the current Storme is devoid of niggles and a vehicle a car owner can graduate to (I switched from a Verna CRDI). The clutch is soft, the steering rake car like, small turning circle and excellent visibility all around make it easy to live with in the city.

4. Prices are low all around. The Storme depreciates like crazy, so pre-owned examples are available for as low as 5 lakhs. Or you can visit your nearest Tata dealer and get a new Storme BSIV for discounts as good as 2 lakhs. Only 2wd models are in stock though.

5. Image. Inside city limits errant autos give way. Outside city limits they think you're royalty. Policemen open barriers, ask if you work for the "government", people look at you like you're a celebrity. Nothing, absolutely nothing else has this image in the Indian mind.

6. TASS has really improved its game. I've experienced pleasant customer service over 30K kms. You can go through the following threads for ownership experiences of the current storme:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...1-5-years.html

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...cor-400-a.html

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...km-update.html (Tale of a Tata Safari Storme EX. EDIT: 60,000 km update)

Why you shouldn't buy the Storme?

1. Depreciation/poor resale. If you're the kind who changes cars every 3 years, forget the Storme. It will fetch a pittance, if you manage to find a buyer in the first place. These cars have a niche fan following, and normal people aren't interested in a 20 year old Goliath.

2. Features. There are absolutely no modern features to speak of. My cousin brother recently bought a Kia Seltos. Heck, you can get into that car and say "I'm feeling hot" and the car will turn on the AC! The Storme doesn't even come with a touchscreen - forget features like automatic headlamps, voice commands. TPMS or any other gizmo. If you're a gadget freak, the Storme is a dinosaur you should run away from.

(On a different note, my cousin laughs at me for my choice of vehicle. I plan to take him to a rural road in post-monsoon UP and drive both cars over it. Then we'll see who laughs and who throws up his lunch.)

3. Mileage. Fuel isn't getting any cheap. If you're expecting a 2.5 ton behemoth to give you 20kmpl, just don't. Expect 10kmpl in the city and 12 to 14 on the highway.

4. Cost of Service. I don't know why, but despite selling so many Safaris over so many years its parts are still not cheap. Currently the AMC is saving me, but I'm saving up for when the AMC ends.

5. Not a car for the immature driver. Something that heavy and that high can never be a ballerina on the road. If you've graduated from a zippy sedan or hatchback, you'll be fighting the weight and getting disappointed most of the time. Try to do a switchback at illegal speeds and you probably won't live to tell us about it. But slow down (a little, its still 150 bhp), take life easy and the Storme will reward you with miles of fatigue-free driving.

6. Discontinued car. Lastly, why would you want to buy a discontinued car in the first place?
predatorwheelz is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 14th June 2020, 12:04   #460
BHPian

Hi BHPians,

Hope you are safe and well.

Bumping this thread up. I'm looking for guidance on buying a used Tata Safari 4x4 in Bangalore/ Karnataka region. Looking for a budget touring vehicle with infrequent usage.

My Usage:
10-15k kms/ year. Weekend drives, hill stations, and beach destinations. Occasional city use (visits to mall, hospital, relatives, etc). 4x4 is a must but NOT looking at taking the vehicle for OTRs.

Budget:
3-3.5 lacs

My options currently:
2008 (manufactured 2007 I think) 4x4 vx dicor 3.0 with 85000 kms on the odo. 3rd owner.

2008 4x4 vx dicor 2.2 vtt with 100,000 kms on the odo. 3rd owner.

Service history:
Both vehicles have partial service history; Mostly from the previous owners. Current owners claim to have maintained it well with regular service.

I'm looking to learn more about the issues/ problems with these models from long-term owners. And inputs on what I should look for while inspecting the vehicles. Recommendations for mechanics/ service centers who can inspect the vehicle well will be very helpful as well.

I'm also open to alternative options in this price range. A 2008 GV 2.0 with 80k.
A 2007 Scorpio 4wd with 180000 kms on it but it is super-well maintained vehicle with a complete Ironman kit on it.
There's also used 2009 Honda CRV AWD MT that I'm open to considering.

I can wait and look for newer models as well. Not in a hurry.

Kindly request senior BHPians and owners of these vehicles to guide me with this purchase.

Thank you!
Old 15th June 2020, 11:06   #461
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdubey23 View Post

My Usage:
10-15k kms/ year. Weekend drives, hill stations, and beach destinations. Occasional city use (visits to mall, hospital, relatives, etc). 4x4 is a must but NOT looking at taking the vehicle for OTRs.
Safari/Storme offer legendary comfort and ride quality. Nothing comes close to these behemoths when it comes to comfort and space south of 30 L.
I have Safaris for the last 15 years and I am a happy owner. I still grin like a Cheshire cat everytime I ride up a steep mountain where other vehicles are struggling or through a knee deep water without worrying about hydro locking. Dicor Engine puts out 140 BHP power and she will much miles all day long. I regularly do 700-900 km at a stretch in a day and you arrive at the destination without fatigue.

Drawbacks: In the city and especially in a mall, you will have a lump in your mouth everytime you ride up the narrow pathway. Narrow pathways don't suit Safaris. Not much of modern electronics. I had to fit a reverse camera, TPMS and high end audio system.

Parts to check: Change your timing belt, water pump and pulleys every 5 years. May cost around 30k in TASS. Any fault in the wiring harness due to rats, can bring on intermittent faults. It is a sturdy vehicle and she will easily last 15 years if not more.
Prowler is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 21st June 2020, 19:36   #462
BHPian

Thank you for the inputs, Prowler.

Managed to check out five vehicles this week. Two 3.0 Dicor 4x4s and one 2.2 Dicor 4x4 and two Honda CRV AWDs.

None of the cars were in good shape. The 2.2 Dicor seemed slightly better in condition (but only in comparison with the other vehicles). By itself, I would still consider it to be poorly-maintained.

Both the 3.0s had their Odometers tampered. One was leaking oil badly. The other had a lot of patchwork in the engine bay. I suspect a rat attack as the vehicle was parked outside. The exteriors were somewhat decent, but the interiors were a complete mess in all the three safaris. I understand I am buying used here and the cars need some work before hitting the road. But, I didn't feel confident going for any of the vehicles.
The same was the case with the two CRVs. Knocking the two 3.0s off my list right away. I'm still undecided on the 2.2 though. I'm contemplating whether to get it inspected by TASS this week.

A few things I realized during the search:

Expectation vs. reality is very real! Pictures say a story that is entirely different from reality. At times I've wondered if it is the same vehicle that was shown in the pictures.

No maintenance whatsoever on any of the vehicles. I think when buying used, the search should stop at the 2nd owner. If there are more owners, then don't expect it to be maintained in majority of the cases. Detailed service history is out of the question.

Odometer tampering: This is a common practice among dealers. Checked a few videos online, and it's ridiculous how easy it is to tamper the odo. If a car has done <100,000 km in 10 years AND it is at the dealer's, then you can almost automatically assume that the ODO has been tampered with.

Paperwork is mostly in place except for insurance. It may look like a trivial issue. But, insurance is a major chapter in the vehicle's history. If the coverage is expired for six months or more, then we can, to a degree, assume that the owner is trying to discard the vehicle as it is not being used – probably because the car developed an issue or some other similar reason.

The used car dealers are useless when it comes to catering to enthusiasts. They're happy dealing either completely high-end or pushing A and B segment cars.

Anyway, I think my hunt will be a long one. I am keeping all options open. Have roped-in a used Pajero as well to my target list. The logic here is that Pajeros age well. My brother drives a 2011 old Pajero with 110000 on the ODO. The car drives like new even today.
sdubey23 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st June 2020, 20:53   #463
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Managed to check out five vehicles this week. Two 3.0 Dicor 4x4s and one 2.2 Dicor 4x4 and two Honda CRV AWDs.

today.
You're in much the same situation and acting like I did 6 years ago. I made the mistake of foregoing on safari due to similar conditions. My advise is take care of only the mechanical bits. Suspension, gearbox, engine etc. Ensure that these and other functional parts are good. Interior and exterior of the safari do not age well, especially when you compare it to parts from the Crv that your are currently also looking at.
The entire interiors can be replaced very nominally. My old Mechanic threw around a figure of 50-100 K to fix the interiors in ANY condition. That essentially meant changing all of the plastics too. After I got my Tucson, he told me I should have picked up a dirt cheap Safari and he'd have fixed it. After.
So, find a mechanically sound one, and look a for a recommended Mechanic in your area.

Last edited by mayankk : 21st June 2020 at 20:55.
mayankk is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2020, 12:09   #464
BHPian

Quote:

None of the cars were in good shape. The 2.2 Dicor seemed slightly better in condition (but only in comparison with the other vehicles). By itself, I would still consider it to be poorly-maintained.
I was in the same page as you when i was hunting for a safari i saw close to 20-25 vehicles and nothing came to place when i bought mine which was 2006 model in 2009, later i had sold it due to my longterm assignment in Europe.

Here is the thread of my purchase.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ed-safari.html (Experience in Purchasing a Used Safari)

As someother Bhpian said it would take patience to get a good one. i would also put a word in my groups if they have any safari and keep you posted if anything turns up.

Last edited by SPEEDY_RACER : 22nd June 2020 at 12:11.
SPEEDY_RACER is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2020, 16:46   #465
BANNED

Hello everyone have been following the thread for sometime and tempted to say that pre-owned Tata Safari is good VFM. Found a 2013 Tata Safari Storme, done about 70km on odo.
What should be ideal value of it? Will it be reliable enough for taking long trip?

Last edited by moralfibre : 24th June 2020 at 16:50.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks