Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2020, 10:30   #481
BHPian

Re: Buying a Used Tata Safari?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Is a 2014 storme done 70k , 4wd, a good version to buy? I'm quite sure it's not done 70k, ask is 6.9.
I'm desperately in need of one.
Any warning signs to look out for?
They should have changed the timing belt and the associated components as it has crossed 5 years. Check the service history for this. Check the suspension. A complete overhaul of the front and rear suspension can cost around 50k.
Late 2014 Storme and later 2015 Stormes have the upgraded 2.2 Varicor Engine which produces 156 BHP instead of the 140 BHP (400 Nm torque instead of the 320 Nm). So check which engine your storme has.
Prowler is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2020, 15:41   #482
BHPian

So I brought the Safari home on Sunday. It is a Tata Safari Storme EX ( Dec 2012) model. The tyres were pretty much worn out so that was the first upgrade. I have had good experiences with Bridgestone Dueller H/T on my Mahindra Thar CRDe so went with that. The dealer gave me the original steel rims so the new tyres were out on that and I sold off the alloy wheels. I prefer substance to bling. the Tyre guys did a good refurbishing job on the steel wheels too, sanding off the rust and giving it a new coat of paint, kudos to Tyre Empire, HSR, Bangalore.

I also spotted a plethora of tiny issues. The dipper headlights were not working and I got that fixed at the local Auto electrician ( HSR Auto Electrical works). The guy , Saif, did a good job, checking all the fuses and the bulbs and ended up changing only the holder for a 150 rupees job.

Next issue noted was the cigarette lighter sockets which were not working. Got that checked out at AutoSpot and now that is working too.

The horn is the main problem right now, it is quite temperamental. I drove down to Calicut from Bangalore today and observed that the Safari is quite temperamental. Only when the Safari deems the time right the horn works. Due to this my drive quality was more temperate today.

The vehicle is definitely oodles of fun to drive! Next to Thar simply the most fun vehicle I have ever driven. There are myrian minor niggles to sort out but I have a feeling some more time invested and the vehicle would turn out to be an amazing investment!

Also we decided to name our Safari Kesavan ( kesu in short). The vehicle is simply gargantuan, easily dwarfing Scorpios, Dusters and Landrovers in the apartment parking. Because of this elephantine appearance and the comfortable drive decided to name him similar to how elephants are named in Kerala .
king of cochin is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 10:00   #483
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by king of cochin View Post
So I brought the Safari home on Sunday. It is a Tata Safari Storme EX ( Dec 2012) model.

The horn is the main problem right now, it is quite temperamental. I drove down to Calicut from Bangalore today and observed that the Safari is quite temperamental. Only when the Safari deems the time right the horn works.
Congratulations ! You will have lots of fun with your Storme. The temperamental horn is not a big deal. The position of the horn allows water to enter and the horn becomes temperamental due to rust and pitting in the contact. Get your auto electrician to remove and replace the contacts inside the horn. Or replace the horn.
Safari/Strome tires last easily for more than 50k km. I changed mine after 9 years due to age.
Prowler is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 16:25   #484
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
... The temperamental horn is not a big deal. The position of the horn allows water to enter and the horn becomes temperamental due to rust and pitting in the contact. Get your auto electrician to remove and replace the contacts inside the horn. Or replace the horn...
Absolutely! Drove around with such a horn and it was always a gamble if it will work or not. Opened up the steering wheel cover, cleaned and reset the contacts, to make sure they are not the cause.

Nothing worked, till a electrician at CBE TAFE removed the contacts from the horn, sanded them, and voila, all ok. He overheard me cribbing to the SA about it and what all I did. Maybe he felt sorry for me.
Old 24th September 2020, 17:03   #485
Distinguished - BHPian

Cross posting from the used car thread:

Safari varicor 400 vx 4x4. 2017, 75k run. Offered 8.5,he's sticking to 9, first owner, service history available from individual seller.
Very difficult to come by in the used car space, especially in my proximity. Is it fair?
Old 24th September 2020, 17:14   #486
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Safari varicor 400 vx 4x4. 2017, 75k run. Offered 8.5,he's sticking to 9, first owner, service history available from individual seller. Very difficult to come by in the used car space, especially in my proximity. Is it fair?
Seems fair to me, Indian Blue Book is also showing 10L+ price for "good" condition. IIRC, OTR was 15L plus when it was being sold. Rare variant, service history available, 7 years usable life still left (if you are in Delhi). If you like it, go for it.

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 24th September 2020 at 17:22.
comfortablynumb is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 17:36   #487
HTC
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Seems fair to me, Indian Blue Book is also showing 10L+ price for "good" condition. IIRC, OTR was 15L plus when it was being sold. Rare variant, service history available, 7 years usable life still left (if you are in Delhi). If you like it, go for it.
I concur with your suggestion. Provided it is not abused.

In karnataka, 2019 4x4 storme was quoted 20.5 lac onroad :(
HTC is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 17:46   #488
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
If you like it, go for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTC View Post
Provided it is not abused.
(
When I checked out a new one last year, it came to almost 18 lacs in Noida.
Any pointer on what needs to be checked specifically, and how?
I have had really bad experiences with the cooling systems in both my cars. Both had to have their engines opened up due to eventual heating up and failures of the fan/sludge in the system etc. Does the Storme have any such issues?
Or anything else?
Old 24th September 2020, 18:14   #489
HTC
BANNED

Quote:
Or anything else?
Not storme, but generally for tata safari, i had saved few screenshots from T-BHP. Here you go
Attached Thumbnails
Buying a Used Tata Safari?-screenshot_20190809190658_chrome.jpg  

Buying a Used Tata Safari?-20191218_113133.jpg  

HTC is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 18:29   #490
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
When I checked out a new one last year, it came to almost 18 lacs in Noida.
I have had really bad experiences with the cooling systems in both my cars. Both had to have their engines opened up due to eventual heating up and failures of the fan/sludge in the system etc. Does the Storme have any such issues?
Or anything else?
Sorry, don't have much knowledge about Storme.

But members navpreet318, sourabhzen and doc_zeus all have the same variant. They might be able to guide you.
Old 25th September 2020, 10:26   #491
BHPian

Quote:
Or anything else?
I have said here multiple times as a Safari owner - both TCIC and a DiCor for the last 15 years, that these engines are reliable proven work horses with scheduled routine maintenance. I have seen Safaris with over 300,000 km with unopened engines.
If you change the timing belt at every four years and do a normal maintenance, you won't suffer any engine issues.
Another thing, these SUVs don't come with all bells and whistles when it comes to electronics. Their basic ECUs are reliable and as long as the wiring harness is intact, they won 't bug you. I am a member of the Safari club and the worst things we discuss are suspensions.
Prowler is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 28th September 2020, 01:10   #492
BHPian

Quote:
Is a 2014 storme done 70k , 4wd, a good version to buy? I'm quite sure it's not done 70k, ask is 6.9.
I'm desperately in need of one.
Any warning signs to look out for?
Sir why o why would thee comit such a blunder
Jokes apart do not go near a used tata of that genre with a barge pole. I am guessing this is a dealer quote? Were you in the market selling a vx 4x4 storme in delhi today dealer would quote tops 4-4.5 for this. For a individuval buyer a car in top notch shape would be max 5.5

My humble advice please dont consider this look at other options

Cheers
Mayank

Last edited by Born 2 Be Wild : 28th September 2020 at 01:10. Reason: Typo
Old 28th September 2020, 10:16   #493
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Be Wild View Post
Sir why o why would thee comit such a blunder
Jokes apart do not go near a used tata of that genre with a barge pole. I am guessing this is a dealer quote? Were you in the market selling a vx 4x4 storme in delhi today dealer would quote tops 4-4.5 for this. For a individuval buyer a car in top notch shape would be max 5.5

My humble advice please dont consider this look at other options

Cheers
Mayank
Dropped it already.

I had driven a line in the sand, that it as to be a varicor 40, preferably 4x4, but at a stretch could settle for 4x2. Found one of both, but the owners behave as if they are selling a '67 mustang. Telling me its "rare" and "collectible". Bhai, it is rare, but its still a TATA. Cars may have been good, but the attitude kinda put me off, so much so that I have dropped the plan. Going for a new car itself, something that is well-appointed, rather than just trying to fulfill a fool's dream, and get stuck with ancient interiors again. This time, my son is choosing the car as well as the color.
He is 6, so I may end up with a florescent green Rafale, though...
mayankk is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2020, 11:41   #494
BHPian

Quote:
Dropped it already.

I had driven a line in the sand, that it as to be a varicor 40, preferably 4x4, but at a stretch could settle for 4x2. Found one of both, but the owners behave as if they are selling a '67 mustang. Telling me its "rare" and "collectible". Bhai, it is rare, but its still a TATA. Cars may have been good, but the attitude kinda put me off, so much so that I have dropped the plan. Going for a new car itself, something that is well-appointed, rather than just trying to fulfill a fool's dream, and get stuck with ancient interiors again. This time, my son is choosing the car as well as the color.
He is 6, so I may end up with a florescent green Rafale, though...
Sir i owned the safari 2.2 dicor for a good 6 years and i loved that truck the road prescence the comfort, but tata is tata changed the tie rod ends almost 3 times a year, water pump, front rear suspension once both radiator fans , clutch twice brake master cylinder, radiator hose, front wheel bearings twice thats just some of the things
When i sold it the turbo had gone week and it was due for replacement so decided to part with it had 1.5 lakh on the odo by then, but still love that truck fond memmories some good some bad

Having sold 2 cars in a span of 3 months let me
Assure you the car resale market in delhi ncr is completely buyer oriented now unless a seller wants to live in a parrallel universe

To make matters worse the NGT ruling has ensured that diesel car resale values have dropped like a brick in water.! I have drawn a line in my head never to purchase anything above the 20L markup and always a petrol as long as i shall live in delhi.

And please do post a detail owner review of the fluroscent green rafael once you take delivery. Lol
Old 5th October 2020, 16:40   #495
BHPian

One of my relatives selling his 2016 ES 4x4 storme 17k kms. Ask price is about 9lacs. I have booked the new Thar, but seriously considering to go for this. Please suggest.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks