Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2009, 12:09   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Good luck & you have Dadu accompanying you as well so, no worries. Have PMed you my Mobile number, don't hesitate to give me a call should any doubts arise when you are there. I'm not a 2.2 expert though!
Thanks! Unfortunately, the guy's not free tomorrow, so will not be able to avail of Dadu's offer :( Probably going over to Concorde on Saturday.
Old 5th February 2009, 12:12   #47
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Hmmmm, in the horns of a dilemma I can see

Also have someone drive it in a straight line & observe it from the rear - does the vehicle appear to be travelling sideways (indicating chassis damage caused by major accident)?
Drive with wet tires or in soft mud and then inspect the lines left by the tires.

The lines left by the left tires and the right tires must match each other.
Old 5th February 2009, 15:48   #48
Senior - BHPian

@bblost Dunno if i'll get a chance to do that detailed a test, but I'm assuming the guys at Concorde will know their stuff when they do an "evaluation". The "traveling sideways" seems more doable, and have already checked for waves in the sheet metal, inconsistent panel gaps etc.
Old 6th February 2009, 09:51   #49
Senior - BHPian

Scary Story!

I know this is one of those initial ones, and again its the bad stories that recounted and the good ones are rarely spoken of, but here's one scary experience:
Urban In Nature; Taking On Urban Characteristics: TATA Safari Dicor - A Bag Full of Woes
Old 6th February 2009, 11:37   #50
Senior - BHPian

Well this is common story with Safari, People buy Safari for its Looks, cheap price (one of the cheap SUV to buy although scorpio is cheap as well) excellant comfort it provides, it looks costlier vehicle.

Heart works rather than head for person who buy Safari. I still feel you check pre owned Safari but make sure its not lemon.

Safari has lot of niggles unless it is not Lemon. There are many Safari going strong even after 50,000km but need heavy maintanance.

Ravi.
Old 6th February 2009, 13:29   #51
Senior - BHPian

Zenx no need to worry about the issues, i am owning a Safari for more than a year now and touch wood till date Never my King has let us down in any of our trips which we have done, just go for the King and you will enjoy it & our King has got the best service from Manipal Motors - Hebbal

There are some issues like rattling sounds which are part and partial with many vehicles it is not only Tata

Last edited by gowda79 : 6th February 2009 at 13:30.
Old 6th February 2009, 21:20   #52
Senior - BHPian

@gowda79 thanks!
The guy's not free tomorrow, though he's promised to try if his work gets over early. So it looks like the evaluation will have to wait till Monday :( Damn!
BTW, does anyone have recommendations about which TASS around here to get the evaluation done ? The truck is at HSR layout.
Old 7th February 2009, 10:22   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenx View Post
I know this is one of those initial ones, and again its the bad stories that recounted and the good ones are rarely spoken of, but here's one scary experience:
Urban In Nature; Taking On Urban Characteristics: TATA Safari Dicor - A Bag Full of Woes

Yes, everyone points to this same blog/ post, millions of times now. It was a 3.0ltr, and the fuel injector failed leaving him stranded, unfortunate.

But its human nature to point at failure more than successes.
Old 7th February 2009, 10:48   #54
Senior - BHPian

@dadu Quite true. The horror stories get circulated way too often. I'm sure there are enough and more for any brand, any model. Just that at the time of a decision, these things do make you pause a little. Have written to Tata (I grew up in Telco in jamshedpur, so such stories are a little heartbreaking ) with a plea to better production-line checks.

But from all that I've heard from cabbies, truckies and TBhpians (these are the folks who know their vehicles, and vote with their wallets) Tatas are more often than not indestructible engines, though not refined. And I'll be proud to own one, finally.
Old 7th February 2009, 12:25   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@dadu Quite true. The horror stories get circulated way too often. I'm sure there are enough and more for any brand, any model. Just that at the time of a decision, these things do make you pause a little. Have written to Tata (I grew up in Telco in jamshedpur, so such stories are a little heartbreaking ) with a plea to better production-line checks.

But from all that I've heard from cabbies, truckies and TBhpians (these are the folks who know their vehicles, and vote with their wallets) Tatas are more often than not indestructible engines, though not refined. And I'll be proud to own one, finally.
Zenx if you look at the problem - solution thread of 2.2 VTT most of the problems discussed were which are ignored as insignificant on other categories of cars but the most Safari owners on T-BHP ( probably excluding me) are with deep expertise so they threadbare them and try to solve.

Take example of a gasp for about 1 second in accelaration, observed very rarely at lower gears when you constantly drive in heavy traffic and solveble by either using System D or a highway drive but Dadu went all the way chasing the problem along with other volenteers and Tata responded by providing a new part worth 18K under warrenty to him.

So instead of seeing this as niggle I would see this as excellent response to customers.
Old 9th February 2009, 09:54   #56
Senior - BHPian

Amit, thats a good point. The EGR collaboration-wit-users and solution was indeed something that I cannot imagine other manufacturers doing!

Today I'll probably get the beast checked out. I've kinda made my peace with the price - and will only deduct the cost of things that need to be done immediately. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Could someone please provide me a rough estimate of how much I should plan to spend on insurance when the time for renewal comes ? Its surely going to be a big jump over the City's 6.5k this year !
Old 9th February 2009, 10:14   #57
Senior - BHPian

I think insurance would cost around 19,000/- for 6 lacs coverage, but you can take NCB from your City ownership and renewal amount might come down very much might be around 14,000, but its just aproximate estimate. It highly depends on how best agent you are in touch with, how much he is ready to help you.

Also when they set Insurance cover for Safari for 2nd year which is due in few months make sure they set the value on lower side. what I mean is for the amount its valuated one set final insurance value 10% more or less. by setting on lower side it won't create any problem while claiming the insurance.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 9th February 2009, 14:13   #58
Senior - BHPian

Zenx the vehicle will be valued at around Rs.8,50,000/- as it is into the 2nd year and the amount charged will be around Rs.19,500/-, the value is taken from my insurance as it was due to me on Jan.

If the vehicle is valued at 6,00,000/- then it will be around 12K - 15K

Last edited by gowda79 : 9th February 2009 at 14:22.
Old 9th February 2009, 14:16   #59
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Gowda. 19.5 is quite a packet for the LX! Since I'll be paying much lesser than 8.5, can't I "cap" the value at 6.5 myself and lower this figure ?

The guys's caught up will Tue - so vehicle check deferred till Wed :( I guess I should start looking around for others.
Old 9th February 2009, 15:05   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Gowda. 19.5 is quite a packet for the LX! Since I'll be paying much lesser than 8.5, can't I "cap" the value at 6.5 myself and lower this figure ?

The guys's caught up will Tue - so vehicle check deferred till Wed :( I guess I should start looking around for others.
Oops small mistake, mine was a Vx version and so it was valued at that price, if yours is a LX i guess it will be much less and it will be inside your budget of 12,000/-

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks