Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2009, 18:42   #16
Senior - BHPian

Thanks man. I'm actually starting to consider the EXes The dual a/c itself is a draw, tho I like the black cladding and grey interiors over the beige ones. While on that, how do the beige ones wear over time ? What else does the EX offer ? I've been told the single a/c may not suffice.
Old 3rd February 2009, 19:28   #17
Senior - BHPian

Spoke to the guy - nice guy as Ravi mentioned earlier. Sounded sincere.

Changes that have been done:
1. ECU replaced under warranty. Could this point to serious undiagnosed underlying issues ?
2. Locks set changed under warranty.
3. Bonnet replaced cause of a dent. He said cause he had insurance.
4. No other damage - one puncture.
5. Mostly driven in city. Apparently gave up on his bike and drove this around everywhere.
Long trips : 1 to tvm, 1 to goa
6. 11kmpl with a/c in city - possible ?

I'm going to check the vehicle out tomorrow 11am - on the ORR near Sarjapura Rd. Would be glad if someone around with fundaes could help Will get in checked out at Concorde, Mysore Road later anyhow.

I'm going to offer a flat 6. Still not sure about the EX/LX differences.
Old 3rd February 2009, 19:59   #18
Senior - BHPian

Zenx,

Do not see much of a concern with what he has told you. Just one concern is when is says that he has done mostly city driving only and 18k kms. Maybe the trip to Goa & Tvm might have added, may have.

Anyway, unless he has actually abused the machine, nothing wrong will happen. This machine can take a lot of abuse.

With regard to your confusion of EX/LX - lets say that you buy this for 6laks (or around that), for you to fix the central A/c will cost you around 20~25k and maybe 5k for the cladding painting. Between the EX & LX, you can actually save if you buy the lower variant and get the fitting done outside, so let that not be a concern.

And yes, if you can get one of the Beast Masters to come along with you, nothing like it. And do take it Concorde, that will give you the real deal.

Old 3rd February 2009, 20:01   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenx View Post
Spoke to the guy - nice guy as Ravi mentioned earlier. Sounded sincere.

Changes that have been done:
1. ECU replaced under warranty. Could this point to serious undiagnosed underlying issues ?

2. Locks set changed under warranty.
3. Bonnet replaced cause of a dent. He said cause he had insurance.

hearing for first time , what caused dent on bonnet and why insurance comp agreed to replace ? Accident ?

4. No other damage - one puncture.
5. Mostly driven in city. Apparently gave up on his bike and drove this around everywhere.

18K in city in 7 months mean it may be abused

Long trips : 1 to tvm, 1 to goa
6. 11kmpl with a/c in city - possible ?
possible but in Bangalore it should be around 10
Old 3rd February 2009, 20:45   #20
Senior - BHPian

I am sure he is lying about mostly driven in City unless he travels nearly 100km per day in Bangalore.

Goa and TVM trips might be done in max. 3500km. So 14000km in 7 months only city driving vehicle might have takne lot of abuses in traffic jam.

Also write down insurance policy number and call customer care and ask for claim details. also check what all replaced in service station while claiming.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 4th February 2009, 14:50   #21
Senior - BHPian

Drove the Safari today.
- Interiors/exteriors are pretty well maintained. The left ORVM has taken a hit and is cracked in the centre - the electricaly operated adjustment continues to work, tho.
- There's an audible noise - not a high pitched whine but a "roating" whup-whup-whup which stays for a couple of secs through the revs - goes away immedeiately. Didn't notice what rpm this comes at, but its somewhere in the initial part of the curve as I started to push the pedal after each gearshift.
- Did 60-80-100 very peacefully, and braking seemed adequate, undramatic.
- The clutch was not too heavy etc - nothing that I felt would cause too much trouble.
- Adequate ICE though I'll probably swap my existing setup from the City before selling that.

The outstation trips - 2 Tvm trips, 2 to Hyd and a few to Mysore and around Bangalore - I guess that takes out around 7-8k from the 18k kms. 10-11 in 8 months is not that bad otherwise, is it ?

Update
: A friend did a quick check with Concorde - they said the windscreen was also replaced and the car's ok mechanically, otherwise. The cladding and bumpers have been painted too. I asked him about the windscreen and he said small crack, changed at personal expense.

Am taking the vehicle for a checkup to Concorde on Sat - and keeping eyes/ears open for more options - EX/LX - at similar prices. This guys indicated that he may not be willing to drop below 6.5. Is that too much to pay ?

Last edited by zenx : 4th February 2009 at 14:53.
Old 4th February 2009, 15:01   #22
Senior - BHPian

Something is not right, i can sense it, why would one replace a windscreen at his own cost and not claim insurance and bonnet replacement points towards an accident.

Check with concorde on the complete history + get that "whup whup" problem rectified if you still feel inclined to buy this. Could point to some issues in the suspension.

The ORVM can cost you 4k for replacement if you later decide to and its not a repairable job.
Old 4th February 2009, 15:02   #23
Senior - BHPian

The dented & subsequently replaced bonnet hasn't been answered yet, has it? Just make sure there are no structural damages, the chassis hasn't taken a whack etc..........
Old 4th February 2009, 15:09   #24
BANNED

I went into the back of a truck in the Safari initial days - panic braked and swerved on gravel, resulting in the some damage to the bonnet as it went under one protruding bar of the rear of the truck. It was dented but not too badly - Concorde ECR Chennai did a fantastic job in tinkering and painting, you can hardly make out looking at my Safari today. I didn't claim insurance as the amount was small (know the boys at Concorde so well that all labour rates are negotiable for me).

Could be this gent had a slightly bigger shunt (meaning bigger dent) to warrant bonnet replacement. Or he didnt want paint difference showing up.

BTW, I have also replaced the windscreen on my Indica without claiming insurance. Individual choice at the end of the day. One doesn't have to claim insurance each time. Insurance claims may be cashless but they certainly take longer than a normal pay-and-replace.

Edit: I have taken the insurance route twice with the Indica when the amount was larger than my predefined limit (to claim).

Last edited by hrag : 4th February 2009 at 15:13.
Old 4th February 2009, 15:34   #25
BANNED

Hey budy, i can help you with name and number of certified technician,you may take my reference, but would request you to mail me - prits_moh@yahoo.com
Since this is a public forum, i cannot divulge the details (the guy's request).
You also need to factor in that you will not recieve NCB for the following year's insurance premium. Dadu smells a rat as well, and so do i regarding the start up noise.
If you are going to keep this for a while with you, my advice - do not buy trouble with so much money.
6.5lacs, whats the year of manufacture ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
I went into the back of a truck in the Safari initial days - panic braked and swerved on gravel, resulting in the some damage to the bonnet as it went under one protruding bar of the rear of the truck. It was dented but not too badly - Concorde ECR Chennai did a fantastic job in tinkering and painting, you can hardly make out looking at my Safari today. I didn't claim insurance as the amount was small (know the boys at Concorde so well that all labour rates are negotiable for me).

Could be this gent had a slightly bigger shunt (meaning bigger dent) to warrant bonnet replacement. Or he didnt want paint difference showing up.

BTW, I have also replaced the windscreen on my Indica without claiming insurance. Individual choice at the end of the day. One doesn't have to claim insurance each time. Insurance claims may be cashless but they certainly take longer than a normal pay-and-replace.

Edit: I have taken the insurance route twice with the Indica when the amount was larger than my predefined limit (to claim).
Old 4th February 2009, 16:08   #26
Senior - BHPian

Yeah, he said the dent was rather bad though in a small patch, and insurance agreed to replace the bonnet. Windscreen, he mentioned, had a crack so he paid for it himself. I'm not sure how much damage it might take insurance to pay for.

The way I'm looking at this : if the car's ok mechanically, and has had no major accidents, its ok. He did say the sound while accelerating has been pointed out to Concorde, and they've said this is a common "feature" on all Safaris. BTW this is the second Safari this guy's owned as per him.

Will anyhow get it checked thoroughly at Concorde. Any volunteers to help with this ? I'd trust you guys more than any TASS mechs, honestly!
Old 4th February 2009, 16:22   #27
Senior - BHPian

Its good that you are moving in right way to make a deal. I can come anytime (unless some urgent work), let me know when and which service station you would like to check this vehicle. I can come to service station directly.

The reason I would get benefited by seeing If I am buying Safari in future Also I have seen 40+ Pre owned cars and pointed out many issues which my car expert friend (but he points out if anything I miss out) also noticed.

Ravi.
Old 4th February 2009, 16:38   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenx View Post
Will anyhow get it checked thoroughly at Concorde. Any volunteers to help with this ? I'd trust you guys more than any TASS mechs, honestly!
You can find me in Concorde, Mysore rd on Friday morning, 9AM. I am not an expert at this, never bought a used vehicle but can help in whatever way i can.

Last edited by dadu : 4th February 2009 at 16:42.
Old 4th February 2009, 16:51   #29
Senior - BHPian

With regard to the bonnet and the windscreen, did you find out what was the root cause for getting these works done? Especially the bonnet? Did he tell you why he had to replace it?

Check his reason - for all we know, it might be something very legit as something that HRag has mentioned what had happened to him.

Do get the complete history of the vehicle and do get all the visible faults rectified. Or use the cost of correction to bring down the price further. The side mirror costing 4k is surely not a small amount!
Old 4th February 2009, 17:12   #30
BHPian

Cant you ask him for the Receipt of work done on the vehicle? If he is genuine he will show the details of expenses done else excuses

18000 in 7 months is very possible, knowing Office to home distance will be helpful..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks