Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2009, 15:54   #61
Senior - BHPian

Please Help

I've been following thsi thread and would like to seek some advice on valuation and guidance on whether the car on offer is a lemon or not.

I saw a Safari 3.0 Dicor VX going to complete 2 years in march with 36 k on the clock here in Hyderabad. Owner is asking 7.5 Lacs. What do you think is the right price for that car. Also by the looks of the car, it looked good and well maintained. Tyres looked like they will last another 10-15k. What are niggles to expect in a used Safari and especially is it ok to go for the 3.0 Litre engine.

Look forward to some guidance on this.

Cheers
Old 9th February 2009, 18:38   #62
Senior - BHPian

@MileCruncher - 7.5 doesn't sound too bad if the vehicle's maintained alright. From what I've picked up on this thread from the more experienced Safari owners, those tyres look ok too. Do go through the service history in detail and ask a TASS to evaluate the vehicle and tell you what the imminent needs of the car would be in terms of repair/maintenance work to be carried out, etc.
Old 10th February 2009, 19:31   #63
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
I saw a Safari 3.0 Dicor VX going to complete 2 years in march with 36 k on the clock here in Hyderabad. Owner is asking 7.5 Lacs. What do you think is the right price for that car. Also by the looks of the car, it looked good and well maintained. Tyres looked like they will last another 10-15k. What are niggles to expect in a used Safari and especially is it ok to go for the 3.0 Litre engine.
I think 6L is a more appropriate price, rather than 7.5L. Know that is almost 1/2 the original price but thats what the Safari depreciation is in 2 years, expecially with the new 2.2L engine being released.

Also on an insurance query for the 6.5L 2.2L Dicor that I saw from the thread starter.
He could:

1) Ask the insurance company to value the car lower at say 5.5 L (Once he buys it at 6.5L that would be closer to the true value as a second owner. (This is irrespective of the Insurance company valuation.)

2) Transfer the NCB of city to Safari. Tedious process but I belive it can be done.

Also regarding the bonnet and windscreen replacement. (if the guy went in for the windscreen replacement before the bonnet replacement without going in for Insurance (so as to not loose the NCB it is believable, but in case the Windscreen repacement out of pocket was after the bonnet replacement it is fishy.)
Old 11th February 2009, 10:35   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
I think 6L is a more appropriate price, rather than 7.5L. Know that is almost 1/2 the original price but thats what the Safari depreciation is in 2 years, expecially with the new 2.2L engine being released.
This is a VX he is talking about - with ABS, Airbags etc; doubtful that you'd ever get a VX which is under two years old at 6 lacs
Old 11th February 2009, 10:38   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
This is a VX he is talking about - with ABS, Airbags etc; doubtful that you'd ever get a VX which is under two years old at 6 lacs
Well the car got sold at 6.8 Lacs. Hate myself for missing out on that one.
Old 11th February 2009, 10:40   #66
Senior - BHPian

Thanks! I think i'll get the NCB transferred for sure - it should save a decent amount.
@suman Yes I was wondering about that - if the 2 year old VX (albeit 3.0 Dicor) was 6, no way the 1 year old LX could be 6.5
Old 11th February 2009, 10:49   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenx View Post
@suman Yes I was wondering about that - if the 2 year old VX (albeit 3.0 Dicor) was 6, no way the 1 year old LX could be 6.5
Exactly! In fact, take a look at Carwale's evaluation for a March 2007 VX at Hyderabad -
CarValue | My Valuations | CarWale CarValue - CarWale.com

ACM is off by almost a lakh & a half!

Last edited by suman : 11th February 2009 at 10:50.
Old 11th February 2009, 11:37   #68
Senior - BHPian

Am off at 1:00 to Concorde Begur Road for the car evaluation. Anyone have any +ve/-ve feedback about the place. I've been asked to meet a aravind, who's a Service Advisor there.
Have gotten the checklist based on all the advice on TBhp, and keeping my fingers crossed...
Old 11th February 2009, 16:50   #69
Senior - BHPian

Took the vehicle to Concorde, Begur Road.
Went through the service history
* an alternator change done by TML
* bonnet+windscreen+headlamp changed - after a stone fell onto the bonnet off a truck. Windsreen paid out of pocket because "insurance said they'd cover only part of it" and the cost was not that high, and they'd agreed to replace the bonnet anyhow. Headlamp had a broken clip.
* Lock set changed, door hinges fixed for rattles.
* ECU changed when vehicle stalled
* One instance of an alignment problem not sorted out by Concorde - he apparently got it done successfully at some place in Whitefield.

The guy there said the sound between 1500-2000 was normal - he called it "VTT" noise. There was no shudder on braking hard, no squeals or screeches that I could hear. The tread-wear seemed even.

The guys at the workshop vouched for the owner bringing in the vehicle "even for small niggles" and ensuring rectification.

They also said the rear suspension would need some bushes changed around 30k. What other work might one expect within the next 10-15k of usage ?

At the end of the drive he drove the truck through our apartment basement, and it did kinda ok! One major doubt settled Tried a personal CD - the audio system will surely need an upgrade.

The overall feel I have right now is +ve, though its seen some problems that have thankfully been sorted out. Will let this sink in and try and determine an offer-price based on all this.

Last edited by zenx : 11th February 2009 at 17:06.
Old 11th February 2009, 18:16   #70
Senior - BHPian

Thats good checking you did, you are right on track. Onething suspecting is when Bonnet is claimed in Insurance why windscreen not claimed because both changes should have done for same stone falling accident. Or may be later they saw broken windscreen after bonnet replacement.

About ECU etc.. changing its anyway expected repairs in TATA vehicles. Lets hope vehicle don't need any other repair as it has already undergone service.

What I heard from my friend is between 30000-40000km service cost would be around 15000.

After discussing with many owners I realized people who abused their Safari paid more towards maintanence. Remember one tend to abuse Safari/Scorpio because of good bad road ride comfort they provide, the way they drive it. In highway in bad stretches these vehicles zoom over other vehicles. so this kinda abuses end up with repairs.

Moral of story is decently driven Safari don't need much maintenance. Many units are lemons, once they udnergo parts replacement under warranty things would settle down! If you have time/energy/guts to check pre owned Safari and make sure its in good condition go head and buy it!

You should start from 6 lacs offer and can offer around 6.4 lacs max. Remember Safari is huge vehicle. Any big car/SUV would loose at least 25% in first year and next year 10%. Only exceptions honda city, Innova Diesel. I have seen thousands of pre owned cars I am telling based on my experience.

Ravi.
Old 11th February 2009, 19:12   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Took the vehicle to Concorde, Begur Road.
Went through the service history
* an alternator change done by TML
This is as per circular of Tata Motors to replace alternators of all 2.2 of a particular batch so its good it was done.

Quote:
* bonnet+windscreen+headlamp changed - after a stone fell onto the bonnet off a truck. Windsreen paid out of pocket because "insurance said they'd cover only part of it" and the cost was not that high, and they'd agreed to replace the bonnet anyhow. Headlamp had a broken clip.
If accedental damages were cosmatic then they are already repaired.

Quote:
* One instance of an alignment problem not sorted out by Concorde - he apparently got it done successfully at some place in Whitefield.
Is it wheel alignment ? Then it seems OK better to get at the nearest place.

Quote:
They also said the rear suspension would need some bushes changed around 30k. What other work might one expect within the next 10-15k of usage ?
The warranty of suspension is around 35K but that does not mean all Safaris need bush replacement it depends on how you drive. Rest every thing is covered till 150K Km I guess ( Including extended warranty)
Old 12th February 2009, 22:15   #72
Senior - BHPian

One major question: how much can i expect for the City 1.3Exi in Bangalore ? 2001, VTEC alloys, repainted a year plus ago, K&N, still drives like a dream. Damn, why am I even selling it ?
Old 12th February 2009, 23:17   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
What I heard from my friend is between 30000-40000km service cost would be around 15000.

Ravi.
Scary! 15k for what?

You get only 50% for glass.

Quote:
One major question: how much can i expect for the City 1.3Exi in Bangalore ? 2001, VTEC alloys, repainted a year plus ago, K&N, still drives like a dream. Damn, why am I even selling it ?
2.5?

Edit:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans...edan-2-5l.html

Last edited by jkdas : 12th February 2009 at 23:18.
Old 13th February 2009, 03:05   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One major suggestion - if it drives like a dream and you are asking yourself why you are selling, then, DON'T SELL!

You will never be happy with the price you get and even if you sell at the best price you get, you will be cursing yourself later!
Old 13th February 2009, 04:51   #75
BHPian

I think if your car is doing well keep the honda, there are hardly any machines in the market that can replace their VFM factor.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks