Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2009, 11:36   #181
Senior - BHPian

Zenx I am sure one or other day dream will come true. Its better to wait than hunting too fast. April will be +ve to neutral month and expect lot of vehicle for sale by June 2009.

Safari is TRUE 5 seator and any side facing/JUMP seats suitable only for kids. Adults will get neck pain as they tend to see front or talk to other people in the vehicle.

Those JUMP seats can be used only for short trips.

In CONCORDE I found Red VX 3.0, July 2006, 22000km driven Safari for sale by TATA Assured and they are quoting 7.2 lacs. Its worth for 6.5 lacs since its sell by dealer add 30k so around 6.8 lacs its very good deal. During TD and filling Diesel we couldnot open Fuel opener after pressing button. Then we had to push it from inside mannually to open it forcefully. I could see based on body language of Pump attendents its common niggle in Safari LOL. That vehicle seemed in very good condition except for front bumper repaint (thats what I felt) and 1 or 2 places oil leak (it might not be oil leak )in engine bay/under the bonnet area.

Ravi.
Old 25th March 2009, 00:07   #182
Senior - BHPian

Information Needed

Hi all you Safari Guru's, just a small question answered.

What is the small plastic contoured plate that is attached with the right side front wiper and what is it use?
Old 25th March 2009, 08:28   #183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post

What is the small plastic contoured plate that is attached with the right side front wiper and what is it use?
That's to keep the wiper from flying up against the windscreen at high speeds/heavy wind/heavy rain conditions.
Old 25th March 2009, 08:57   #184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

It is used to put weight on the wiper and see to that at high speed when you are using it it should not fly up.
Old 25th March 2009, 09:25   #185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowda79 View Post
It is used to put weight on the wiper and see to that at high speed when you are using it it should not fly up.
Then why is it on on the other one? They can achieve this by using higher tension spring in the wiper arm. For that matter of fact, much faster cars don't have that feature. I feel it is for something else
Old 25th March 2009, 10:41   #186
Senior - BHPian

Ani, it is for aerodynamics, pure and simple.
Old 25th March 2009, 10:57   #187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
Ani, it is for aerodynamics, pure and simple.
Again, the same question, why is it not on the other side. If you want to reduce the drag coefficient ( for a vehicle that already has Cd >0.5) you would put on both side and reduce the angle of windscreen.

I definitely feel there is much more to it. None of the dealership staff have been able to help me with it.

Any TM people here on the forum who can shed some light
Old 25th March 2009, 11:02   #188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I definitely feel there is much more to it.
It would be helpful for all of us if you could tell us what your thoughts are on the subject
Old 25th March 2009, 11:23   #189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
It would be helpful for all of us if you could tell us what your thoughts are on the subject
I wish I could. I was wondering whether it is the hood deflector but somehow that also doesn't hold water.
Old 25th March 2009, 11:33   #190
Senior - BHPian

Ani, I have had a discussion on this with my friend in ERC and trust me, this is for nothing but aerodynamics.

the reason it is on one wiper only is because there is a significant difference in the position o fthe two wipers and the left wiper sits much lower than the right wiper.

why this is so and why the add on i sonly on the right wiper is something only a wind tunnel test can tell us, but from my information, the higher postion o fthe right wiper causes more lift and hence the appendage to create some downforce on the wiper.

IIRC, the gen 1 scorp and the early crde (the one minus the bonnet scoop also has this). can some scorpio owner please confirm.
Old 25th March 2009, 11:48   #191
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ani, I have had a discussion on this with my friend in ERC and trust me, this is for nothing but aerodynamics.

the reason it is on one wiper only is because there is a significant difference in the position o fthe two wipers and the left wiper sits much lower than the right wiper.

why this is so and why the add on i sonly on the right wiper is something only a wind tunnel test can tell us, but from my information, the higher postion o fthe right wiper causes more lift and hence the appendage to create some downforce on the wiper.

IIRC, the gen 1 scorp and the early crde (the one minus the bonnet scoop also has this). can some scorpio owner please confirm.
Point taken.

Quote:
I wish I could. I was wondering whether it is the hood deflector but somehow that also doesn't hold water.
Then what is the hood deflector?
Old 25th March 2009, 11:54   #192
Senior - BHPian

Ok, same question again, and same answer again. (though not able to find the previous discussion!!!)

This is the wind deflector. This is to hold the wiper down and always in contact with the glass during high speed. This way, when at high speed and it rains, you will not notice that the wiper just skits off the glass leaving a steak.

To understand better, imagine how the air flow will be, from the front and over the glass. Add speed to it. Now imagine what happens if you use your wiper. On the wipers return motion, it will have to work against the up-flowing air and this will result in the wiper being slightly lifted to allow the air to flow. Result - your glass will not be cleaned on the way down!

Quote:
...Then what is the hood deflector?
That is the deflector added at the hood to deflect the air flow away from the windshield. Check out BglSrini's ride, he has one of them on his Safari.

Last edited by HappyWheels : 25th March 2009 at 11:59. Reason: Reponse to MC.
Old 25th March 2009, 13:21   #193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My friend's Gen 1 Scorpio did not have this.
Old 25th March 2009, 17:01   #194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

So if that appendage is not there on the RHS wiper, the wiper will break away and fly-off at high speeds? Someone I know had bought a new Safari about an year and half ago. As a result of poor PDI, the two wipers were wrongly fitted and it was the co-driver wiper that sported that appendage. My friend never bothered to get the two wipers swapped. These days even Sumo Victa (not exactly a high speed vehicle) has that appendage on RHS wiper arm.
Old 25th March 2009, 19:31   #195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
So if that appendage is not there on the RHS wiper, the wiper will break away and fly-off at high speeds? Someone I know had bought a new Safari about an year and half ago. As a result of poor PDI, the two wipers were wrongly fitted and it was the co-driver wiper that sported that appendage. My friend never bothered to get the two wipers swapped. These days even Sumo Victa (not exactly a high speed vehicle) has that appendage on RHS wiper arm.
They are known as wiper wings , There are two uses of this wiper wing.

1. Intended use: To provide more weight to wiper for effective cleaning.
If you don't have this well Wiper won't fly away but effectiveness of cleaning will reduce ( may not be noticeable either).

2.Unintended use : Scrapping snow from the windshield, I have seen people abroad have this kind of appendage and they pull out and use to scrape the snow. In India this is not useful much except in Himalayas may be.

Actually this this is available as an accessory on e-bay of Type-R brand with shiny chrome plating for all vehicles. Also I have seen it in auto accessory sections of stores abroad and sells between 10 - 20 $

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Aluminum-Windshield-Wiper-Wing-Eclipse-3000GT-Lancer_W0QQitemZ310119436561QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMot ors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item310119436 561&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=72%3A543|65%3A 12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

TML is just attaching it free of cost :-).

Why just one why not two ? Most of the field of vision which may get affected when wiper is not cleaning while coming down is on the drivers side so not required on the other side.

Last edited by amitk26 : 25th March 2009 at 19:37.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks