Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2010, 10:53   #211
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
If you friend is absolutely set on the Safari, I would recommend to go for the 2.0 Liter TCIC or the 2.2 DICOR. You should be able to get an 2007 2.2 LX in your budget.
I do not think so.Even a 2007 2.2VTT will cost more than 6Lacs.If one is getting it for 5 then there be apprehensive as there would be something really wrong with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
I wouldn't recommend the 3.0 dicor since that engine was made only for a limited period due to the delay in launching the 2.2 VVTI.
What wrong if it came in limited period.Even Marlyn Monroe was there for a short period but still rules our hearts.I have owned and driven both the 2.2 as well as the 3.0.I personally feel biased towards the 3.0.Though it is a notch underpowered than 2.2VTT.

Hey 4x4Addict,
Wanted to know at what price can I get a good used Nissan petrol in Bangalore/Chennai.Is it possible to get one within 7Lac budget??
Old 22nd February 2010, 13:51   #212
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

@Alter_Ego:

My opinion on the three engine options for the Safari is based keeping in mind potential parts availability issues etc for the 3 Liter powerplant down the line. The basic internals of the engine are shared with the 407 engine so it should be okay, but the potential issues may arise with the CRDe unit. Given the number of units sold, how long do you think Lucas/Delphi will continue to provide parts for it?

The 2.0 TCIC is a proven workhorse that has probably covered millions of miles on Sumo Victas, etc.. The 2.2 is obviously the latest and greatest. The 3.0 was a stop gap arrangement. It shouldn't matter if you preferred it or not. For a buyer who is going to plong 5 lakhs on the vehicle, he should be aware of the potential pitfalls.

Regarding the patrol I have seen only one in chennai for 7 lakhs but it is SWB UN model is probably from the mid 80s. Most newer ones Y60/Y61 series go from abou 9 lakhs +.
Old 22nd February 2010, 14:06   #213
BHPian

Many Many thanks 4x4ddict, Alterego and JKd.

I was hoping we could probably get a 2.2VTT for the budget.
So, I should be looking for 2.2VTT or a 2 TCIC under 50K Mileage. Just so that i am absolutely clear on this, when is the recommended period for engine overhaul for Safari. And what stages do the Clutch / Suspension etc need to be changed. What would be the expected early Mainteneace bills. (Both me and ma friend are techies, so Vit M can be a bit of constraint )

@JKD saw your beast infront of Nila and it looked stunning.. The alloys look stunning.
May need pointers from you regarding mods on P180 (Will PM further details)
Old 22nd February 2010, 15:11   #214
Distinguished - BHPian

a 2.0 TCIC under 50k will be difficult to get. It's been quite some time since that was stopped.

The engine itself is a proven one. But definitely under-powered. Even in the slightly lighter Victa GX that I have. One good thing about that 2.0 TCIC engine is that it is still doing duty in the Winger. So parts will not be a problem even now.

Clutch / engine /suspension overhaul will depend on how it has been used. Clutch should last atleast 60k.
Old 22nd February 2010, 15:50   #215
BHPian

Thanks Condor.
The reason why i asked was that, Since its really on a tight budget, would be really digging deeper holes, when all sorts of age related issues can crop up.
Would we realistically need to have an engine overhaul before 1.5 Lac? Also, what are the major mechanicals that one can expect in a used safari.
I am sorry, I know i am being vague, its just i want to get all the details correct.

Having said that, i own a 2002 Lancer SLXd (my sweet babe,been driving her since my College Days) , and have clocked 2Lac Km in the. The only thing that i had to change was the alternator and Clutch plates.
Old 25th February 2010, 18:06   #216
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToroRosso View Post
Thanks Condor.
The reason why i asked was that, Since its really on a tight budget, would be really digging deeper holes, when all sorts of age related issues can crop up.
Would we realistically need to have an engine overhaul before 1.5 Lac? Also, what are the major mechanicals that one can expect in a used safari.
I am sorry, I know i am being vague, its just i want to get all the details correct.

Having said that, i own a 2002 Lancer SLXd (my sweet babe,been driving her since my College Days) , and have clocked 2Lac Km in the. The only thing that i had to change was the alternator and Clutch plates.
I had to change the following parts on my TCIC due to improper maintenance by driver etc.

1. Clutch (6-10k)
2. Suspension (10k)
3. Alternator servicing (close to 1200)
4. Engine oil assembly (3-4k)
5. Wheel bearings, four wheel hub greasing and some other stuff - around 10-12k
6. Fuel pump servicing (10k)
7. All belts (not required, as a preventive maintenance) (2-3k)
Later I also had to change some parts due to an accident..

So if you plan to spend around 50k over next 2-3 years, you should be in good shape I think.

My vehicle has done around 80k. All these servicing/works were done after 60k.
Old 25th February 2010, 19:54   #217
BHPian

Many Thanks Suman.. Thats just what we had planned as a maintenance cut off
Thanks for the info.
Have looked at a couple of 2000 Models, the mileage was very high (>1 Lac) and lots of rattles noises and scratches. Still on the look out
Old 26th February 2010, 19:48   #218
BHPian

The rattles I think would be fixed if you take your car to a garage where they work on doors and locks. In my case TASS suggested replacement of door pads etc. which is expensive. A garage fixed that in less than 20 minutes by fixing some screwes and adding missing screws. Total cost was less than Rs. 100.
Old 8th March 2010, 17:50   #219
BHPian

Looks like we hit pay dirt. There is a 2007 July Red 2.2VTT 4x2 @29456 for 6.25 lac. The beast is very well taken care of. We did a test Drive today and was very impressed. The owner has maintaned a very clean service history .
If all goes well, we will seal the deal by Day after.
Thanks folks for all the help and Input.. Much appreciated.
Oh n oh, The alloys are awesome and he has a decent ICE set up.
Old 8th March 2010, 20:52   #220
BHPian

Hi Condor ,

Looking to buy a safari TCIC. Have extensively driven the 2.2 VTT and is great really while the TCIC is underpowered. But i am a sedate driver and buying the truck more for the ride quality , space , long route safety etc. and not so much for the speed tricks.
After TD i found the safari TCIC (It was a 2003 EX with 78 k on the odo and probly not very well kept ) quite driveable . As i was expecting the NA indica kind of sluggishness .
I want to know how expensive it is to maintain if i manage to get a newer TCIC in excellent condition going forward.?
Appreciate any advice.
Regds,
Kedar
BTW I found the turning radius on the TCIC lower than the VTT... ANY IDEAS ?
Old 11th March 2010, 15:38   #221
Senior - BHPian

Pals, what would be the price of

Safari 2.2 VTT 4*4
2008 model
23K done on odo
Warranty till 2012
Insurance till Mar-2011.
Old 11th March 2010, 15:49   #222
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsagar View Post
Pals, what would be the price of

Safari 2.2 VTT 4*4
2008 model
23K done on odo
Warranty till 2012
Insurance till Mar-2011.
Is it a VX or EX?

First thing that I would do would be to get the service history from the workshop. Should be anywhere between 8-8.5 not more.
Old 11th March 2010, 15:55   #223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Is it a VX or EX?

First thing that I would do would be to get the service history from the workshop. Should be anywhere between 8-8.5 not more.
VX in B'lore. Completely stock. Well maintained.
Old 11th March 2010, 16:15   #224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsagar View Post
VX in B'lore. Completely stock. Well maintained.
Actually carwale quotes much lower
Buying a Used Tata Safari?-carwale.jpg
Old 15th November 2010, 16:20   #225
BHPian

Timing the purchase - Pre owned Safari

Folks,

Do please indulge the question even though it is more in the realm of soothsaying than offering experience based advice.

I am contemplating a SUV/Safari acquisition and am loath to pay the first couple of years' depreciation which I will encounter the moment I drive the vehicle off the dealer's ramp. So the way out I am thinking of, is to defer the implementation of the decision to the period when the new model of the car is launched. To my mind it will negatively impact the resale value of used cars esp of the "old models" (I am basically looking for a Gx variant with ABS+EBD ) thus saving me some money.Also by then there should be some softening in used car values for the Gx versions. I have come across only one offering of the Gx variant in the used car market and that too was priced at near 9 lacs approx.

So the question is, is this thinking rational based on your experience/observation of the way things work or more like wishful thinking.

Will appreciate any feedback/input .

Regards

R

Last edited by RS_DEL : 15th November 2010 at 16:31.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks