Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2010, 17:03   #226
Senior - BHPian

Your reasoning is totally rational, but you have not considered the RISK aspect of buying a Used Safari. Safari, suffers from serious reliability issues, and this can be very unpredictable. Safari is such a great vehicle to own and drive, that the only reason most people would consider selling off a Safari within 2 years of ownership would be because of a Mechanical Problem (Costly) cropping up.

So, you need to be very careful, and you may as well, add some contingency amount to your financial model for buying a Used Safari, and see how well the model still stands.

I, for one, would never think of buying any Tata vehicle, without Warranty and Extended Warranty.
roy_libran is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2010, 17:32   #227
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
...Safari, suffers from serious reliability issues...
Do you own Safari? Where you have faced reliability issue? Or this is just you personal assumptions. I own Safari recently and I know atleast 10 persons who is owning Safari (varying from decade) and never faced any reliability issue.
Old 15th November 2010, 17:34   #228
Senior - BHPian

@RS_Del: I would like to know why are you planning to buy a SUV / Safari. Is it to satisfy the heart's pangs or your usage into the wilderness requires a high GC vehicle. If its the first then your requirement and the money to be spent for that is a debatable thing.

Secondly, how long do you intend to keep the vehicle? If its 5 plus years then it makes sense to buy a new vehicle. But if its only for a period of 1-2 years then used is the best way to go.

Now coming to Safari, yes does depreciate like hell in the first 2 years, but stabilises after that. But buying a used Safari is like taking a big gamble. Safari because of its inconsistent quality and reliability issues is best bought new from the dealer then getting to know the vehicle. This way you'll be able to get everything sorted out under warranty to have a peaceful life. In a used car, one doesn't know about the gremlins and their history. The previous owner may not have taken as much care of the car as much as you would like him to take. Plus the GX model being only about 1 year old, will not get you the best deal. I suggest understand your requirement first and then may be buy a brand new one. Cheers

Last edited by MileCruncher : 15th November 2010 at 17:36.
Old 15th November 2010, 17:57   #229
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS_DEL View Post
Folks,

Do please indulge the question even though it is more in the realm of soothsaying than offering experience based advice.

I am contemplating a SUV/Safari acquisition and am loath to pay the first couple of years' depreciation which I will encounter the moment I drive the vehicle off the dealer's ramp. So the way out I am thinking of, is to defer the implementation of the decision to the period when the new model of the car is launched. To my mind it will negatively impact the resale value of used cars esp of the "old models" (I am basically looking for a Gx variant with ABS+EBD ) thus saving me some money.Also by then there should be some softening in used car values for the Gx versions. I have come across only one offering of the Gx variant in the used car market and that too was priced at near 9 lacs approx.

So the question is, is this thinking rational based on your experience/observation of the way things work or more like wishful thinking.

Will appreciate any feedback/input .

Regards

R
Good decision.

Go for the car your heart and mind says.

Visit the below link showing all the feedbacks from Safari owners.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...re-please.html

Keep us posted on your purchase.

All the best.

Last edited by mobike008 : 15th November 2010 at 21:56. Reason: Please stick to facts instead of emotional and uncalled for outbursts. Thanks for your co-operation !
Old 15th November 2010, 18:04   #230
BHPian

@Roy_L
Point well taken. OTOH I have purchased second hand trucks - 10 wheelers (TATA ofcourse) and run them interstate in a transport business I used to own. So yes while I appreciate your concern, the idea of buying a used vehicle and keeping it running is not so daunting to me.

@MileC
[] Requirement defined - A sturdy spacious vehicle that can enable me and the old lady aka my wife ( she will b****y kill me if she hears such a reference to her :-) ) to travel inter-state in comfort with me driving. Serious offroading ? Doubt it very much but extended traveling - very much on the cards.

[] Any other reasons for wanting a Safari -Yes. The damn thing is awe inspiring. Also as per the few travelogues I have read here on TBhp fix-able anywhere in India (including Leh if I am not mistaken).

[] WRT maintenance issues - I am more or less in agreement with you but reconciled to there being some gremlins or the other. As they say there is no such thing as a free lunch - If I save on the depreciation I will need to pay something out of that on the maintenance.

Thanks to you both for responding.
Old 15th November 2010, 18:18   #231
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
PAVAN KADAM : Dont listen to NON SAFARI Owners, they know literally nothing about the SAFARI.

Visit the below link showing all the feedbacks from the REAL Safari owners. They are the best people to tell you the truth.
@Pavan, IMO some real figures of both pro's & con's would help RS_DEL make a better informed decision about what Safari he wants to buy - a new one or a used one : if stays with his decision to buy a Safari. If you do have such data, pls share it with us all - it can help every one much more than an emotional, from the heart lines that you have made in your post.

Thanks !
Old 15th November 2010, 18:26   #232
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@Pavan, IMO some real figures of both pro's & con's would help RS_DEL make a better informed decision about what Safari he wants to buy - a new one or a used one : if stays with his decision to buy a Safari. If you do have such data, pls share it with us all - it can help every one much more than an emotional, from the heart lines that you have made in your post.

Thanks !
Condor, its not rocket science to know about pro's and con's of the Safari, its very well mentioned all over this Wonderful forum.

I feel, i do not need to reason out that now.

A car owner of a particular brand is the BEST to talk about a particular brand since he uses them day in and day out. And there are plenty of us here, who are happy, The largest ownership of any SUV on this forum. Does that not speak volumes of the product called SAFARI.

My reply adds particularly to that, and should not be mistaken for FANBOYISM.

I feel, showing a bias and downsizing a brand does not gel well with the forum etiquettes and ethics. All RS_DEL wanted to know about the Brand SAFARI he is buying. And that is etched very well on the link provided.

Its best we would leave the decision to him than argue.

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 15th November 2010 at 18:28.
Old 15th November 2010, 18:55   #233
BANNED

You should be able to get yourself a good used example in the market with some patience.

The Safari with its pathetic resale value is a wonderful used buy. Also, most niggles which usually manifest in its early life would have sorted themselves out by then if the car has had a clean service history and you could end up with a reliable piece.

Go for a 2.2 EX or a GX (a bit hard to find used) and with less than 40k kms on the odo with a single owner neat history and you should be satisfied.
Old 15th November 2010, 19:05   #234
BHPian

Folks esp. Condor

The scope of my query is limited to the timing part of the decision.

While I appreciate the concern of those who think I may be acting on a whim ( which maybe I am!) and need more input to make a better informed decision, I have more or less decided/made my choice. Now the only issue remaining is the hunt, the implementation.

As far as I can make out , I should embark on this when the 2011 model(new model?) is launched. This too as I desire the vehicle I purchase now should be equipped with ABS+EBD. If that was not the concern, Dicor 2.2 vehicles are presently available at not so generous valuations and I can embark on the search now.

The reason for this post was to validate/invalidate the thought process that I have followed.

Regards

R
Old 15th November 2010, 19:30   #235
Senior - BHPian

This is not a Love it - Hate it discussion, and I have gone on record to say that the Safari is a great vehicle to own and drive. Fully agree with RS_DEL that it is awe-inspiring.
But, as Mile_C has already said, on the Used Car Market, it is a somewhat risky buy, due to the inconsistent aspects of Tata's engineering processes, and the possibility that there could be a lot that is going wrong under the hood, that a buyer may not be able to detect.

This sentiment is well echoed by two market indicators, that I consider to be very reliable:
- The comparative resale value of a car in the used market. Do compare the innova/scorpio and safari, and it will surprise you. There is a reason behind that difference!
- Ask any Driver, who drives SUV's/MUV's day in and day out. They would all swear by the Innova, Bolero, and Scorpio, before even mentioning the Safari (in that order). Some would mention the Sumo with the former, but not it's new Avatar.

So let me repeat, in case my perspective was not fully understood, Safari is a great vehicle, but it is best bought new, and under full warranty.
Old 15th November 2010, 19:33   #236
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
You should be able to get yourself a good used example in the market with some patience.

The Safari with its pathetic resale value is a wonderful used buy. Also, most niggles which usually manifest in its early life would have sorted themselves out by then if the car has had a clean service history and you could end up with a reliable piece.

Go for a 2.2 EX or a GX (a bit hard to find used) and with less than 40k kms on the odo with a single owner neat history and you should be satisfied.
I feel GX variant is good, since it has ABS.

And these days, all the SUV's resale value has stabilised. And safari is no different.

The only SUV with a so called PATHETIC resale value as per your words is the ENDEAVOUR, Safari's and Scorpio's are in the same league, barring the Innova.

And about the used Safari in the market, what you all need to do is, get the registration number of the car, and get it checked at the Service Centre for the service history, that will say a lot about the car's history.

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 15th November 2010 at 19:35.
Old 15th November 2010, 21:14   #237
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
PAVAN KADAM : ..its not rocket science to know about pro's and con's of the Safari, its very well mentioned all over this Wonderful forum.

A car owner of a particular brand is the BEST to talk about a particular brand since he uses them day in and day out. And there are plenty of us here, who are happy, The largest ownership of any SUV on this forum. Does that not speak volumes of the product called SAFARI.

My reply adds particularly to that, and should not be mistaken for FANBOYISM.

I feel, showing a bias and downsizing a brand does not gel well with the forum etiquettes and ethics. All RS_DEL wanted to know about the Brand SAFARI he is buying. And that is etched very well on the link provided.

Its best we would leave the decision to him than argue.
@Pavan, your post shows your feelings towards your Safari, and no one is agruing about that. When RS_DEL asked about the timing, with points like depreciation & maintenance costs coming up - an answer that addressed these points would have been the best. Something that can be evaluated. I dont think you yourself would put a number on your feelings towards your Safari - there'll be someone else who things he is the biggest lover of his vehicle (possibly another Safari), but all that is just subjective at best.

So, with your experience of your Safari & the maintenance cost that you have experienced, try & give a more mathematical answer to the question on hand. May even help me also when I search for one .. Numbers make much more sense than (your) feelings to anaylse the numbers involved in investment / spending in owning a new/ pre-owned vehicle.

Also, a car owner is best suited to talk about his car. Not the brand as a whole. The part about brand is the collective response/feeling of all the owners. And not just one person. If one person's data/inputs was enough for the whole brand, then possibly the whole brand was just one unit. Or the units that that particular person had. I'm sure that there are more Safari's around than just the ones you have had.

And before you forget, I too have a Tata, and my truck's my truck. Somethings about it are better than the Safari, and some are not. But that's for me. Obviously you will ask what point of my truck can ever be better than that of the Safari, but that may be just your question.

What you have said may not be fanboyism, but please provide some numerical foundation so everyone else feels the same way as you do.

Quote:
RS_DEL : The scope of my query is limited to the timing part of the decision.

While I appreciate the concern ... need more input to make a better informed decision, I have more or less decided/made my choice. Now the only issue remaining is the hunt, the implementation.
@RS_DEL, not dissuading you from the Safari - it's more about a reality check on the direction you want to go - new or pre-owned. Is a new one worth the peace of mind, or is a used one worth the depreciation. A camparo of maintenance costs from a few owners may help you decide better here. There are people who are happy with used ones, and there are people who prefer a new one. You'll have to see why each of these is right, and hence which one is right for you.

Last edited by condor : 15th November 2010 at 21:16.
Old 15th November 2010, 21:28   #238
BANNED

Well Condor, i quite did not understand what you replied

As a individual, my Safari has run only 30K kms in all of 4 yrs and 3 months, i have gone in for 3 paid service so far (every 5K kms) and everytime with engine oil and oil filter change, the service cost has been a meagre Rs.3600/- quite close to the service cost of my M-800.

But the service costs do matter a lot, since our Stock Matiz service bills runs to 10K every 10000 kms he he he....!

All in all, i will sign out of this thread, mentioning, the Safari is not what people assume, its lot lot better than that, its a "Safari thing that even the Safari guys dont understand"
Old 16th November 2010, 00:10   #239
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Safari's and Scorpio's are in the same league, barring the Innova.
Come on Pavan, you know this isnt true

There are so many sources which will prove you wrong, very wrong. Lets be fans, not fanatics.
Old 16th November 2010, 03:43   #240

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Come on Pavan, you know this isnt true

There are so many sources which will prove you wrong, very wrong. Lets be fans, not fanatics.

Me and my brother are looking for a second hand 4X4 Safari for nearly one year now in Delhi, but could not find even a single one so far!

The dearer the product more is the resale value right?

Most Viewed