Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2011, 09:42   #286
BHPian

re: Buying a Used Tata Safari?

Thanks Roy/Amit,

I will note your feedback when I get the vehicle inspected. Hopefully, since the service history is available and the vehicle is still under warranty, things will be slightly easier.

Thanks a ton, once again and I will update the thread whenever I have any information to share.
Old 9th July 2011, 21:50   #287
BHPian

Ok, I am ready to sell my Safari. Its a 2007 (dec) 2.2VTT VX 4x4, about 57k. Anyone can give me a ballpark range on what to expect?
Old 14th July 2011, 13:28   #288
BHPian

DukeSan27,

I guess it was your ad i just saw in Carwale. I feel the expected price 7.75 is a bit on a higher side. Maybe around 6.5 to 7.0 would be realistic.
BTW, there is 2007 Safari EX 4x4 for 6.5 in Mysore, just giving you a indicator.
Old 14th July 2011, 17:06   #289
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyFreak View Post
DukeSan27,

I guess it was your ad i just saw in Carwale. I feel the expected price 7.75 is a bit on a higher side. Maybe around 6.5 to 7.0 would be realistic.
BTW, there is 2007 Safari EX 4x4 for 6.5 in Mysore, just giving you a indicator.
His is VX and the one that you are talking about is EX. I think that 7.75 is justifiable. There's difference of close to around 3.4L between first hand EX and VX (irrespective of 4x4).

Tejas
Old 14th July 2011, 19:49   #290
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyFreak View Post
DukeSan27,

Quote:
Originally Posted by bantejas View Post
His is VX and the one that you are talking about is EX. I think that 7.75 is justifiable. There's difference of close to around 3.4L between first hand EX and VX (irrespective of 4x4).

Tejas
Thanks for the inputs. I looked at some of the prices at sulekha, dealers, carwale and came up with this. Let's see how it goes.
Old 15th July 2011, 16:42   #291
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Duke 6.5 is max where I would peg it - especially as it was one of the early units in the 2.2 and year end and is close to end of warranty.

An Individual could give more a dealer won't.
Old 1st December 2013, 00:31   #292
BHPian

Pre Owned Safari

Hi All,

One of my friends is looking to a buy a preowned safari > 2007 .

The car would be used for weekend drives (50-100 kms) and a monthly 400 km highway drive + 200 km (Village roads).

Bhpian Condor did suggest to go for a 2.2L Dicor which is more reliable and better.

which model he can look for and what would be the expected price,i know the cost depends on the place, but what would be the approximate price.

I have read some comments where they suggest to keep away from Safari if you do not know the vehicle history personally.is this true?

How are the maintenance costs (currently he owns a santro Xing)

what would be the mileage, city/Highway?

Thanks
zaveed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2013, 05:31   #293
Senior - BHPian

Re: Pre Owned Safari

I have a pre-owned Safari and use it in a similar fashion, weekend drives and occasional long highway run. The 2.2 is the best Safari made till date, not counting the Storme. There are 3 types of Safaris, one is TCIC, then Dicor and then 2.2

The TCIC sells from 1-2.5 lakhs, the Dicor sells for 3 lakhs and the 2.2 starts from 3 to maybe even 10 depending on what model it is

The best model to go for would be a 2006-2009 2.2 which can be had easily for under 5 lakhs

Safari is bought with the heart, so if your friend is looking for a no-nonsense vehicle then the Safari would be a hand-full. I have a lot of electrical problems in the Safari, some fuse or the other keeps blowing, few weeks back it was the AC fuse blowing which got fixed for 100 bucks, last week it was the headlight fuse blowing which got fixed for free! That is another thing, you develop a very good relationship with your garage

Its a tough vehicle, very comfortable and the best SUV you can get looking from a VFM point of view in the second-hand market

The mileage is another story, it varies from 6-17, depending on how you drive. On long drives sticking at 2,000 rpm I have got 17kmpl without AC and on drives which border on racing in the city with AC on I have had to live with 6-7kmpl. The key is, drive it around 2,000 rpm always, keep changing gears but somehow do not cross 2,000 rpm. It idles around 900 rpm, shift to first, go to 2,000 then shift to second, it will fall to 1,300 rpm then wait till you hit 2,000 and shift to third, that is the best way to squeeze the maximum out of every litre of diesel

The maintenance costs are 10,000 every year, I give it to the TASS every year or 10,000 kilometres, whichever is earlier and that has been my average cost, on a monthly basis I spend 250 on an average in sorting out niggles, it visits a garage every 2 months due to some issue or the other. I do not know if the vehicle is to blame or the mechanics are to be blamed, because the same problems recur

The TCIC was the most over-engineered Safari built, it was designed back when Mercedes Benz cars rolled off Tata assembly lines and Tata took a lot of help from Mercedes engineers in designing the vehicle, from day-one it was designed to sell in the European market. My vehicle is pushing 15 years and has no rust, done 1,15,000 kilometres and has a sealed engine. Its the plastics that are aging, getting brittle and breaking off. A good TCIC Safari if maintained with love can last a life-time

Stay off the DICOR, that one has a 407 engine and was a stop-gap model between the TCIC and 2.2. There are plenty of DICORs in the second-hand market though only a handful of them were sold, its very difficult to distinguish a 2.2 from DICOR for a layman so ensure you know what you are looking for

I have heard rumours that 2.2 engine parts cost a bomb, but you will have to wait for the Owners here to comment

The icing on the cake would be picking a Safari 4x4. I got lucky, mine has a borg-warner shift on the move 4x4 system, it works even if you have not used it for months together, awesome stuff to brag about amongst friends!

The formula I used when buying my vehicle, I first struck a deal with the TASS, told them that I was looking for a Safari and would be coming to them for regular service after purchasing the vehicle, I requested them to 'check' vehicles that I would bring to them over a month and advice me on the condition and the price I could pay, they happily agreed. I then began shopping at second-hand dealers, whenever I identified a potential purchase I took it to the TASS and had them give it the once-over. The first one was rejected since the price the TASS advised me was not acceptable to the dealer who was selling the vehicle, the second vehicle was accident repaired according to the TASS the third vehicle passed their 'test' and is now standing outside my house. They advised me to buy it for 1,80,000 to 2,00,000 I stuck with that and bought it for 2,00,000. The dealer was quoting 2.5 for it and was not ready to come below 2.25 but I did not budge an inch, we went back and forth for an hour and when I was about to get up from my seat not wanting to pay 2,05,000 even the dealer buckled and settled for 2

Happy hunting

Last edited by TheARUN : 1st December 2013 at 05:40.
TheARUN is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 1st December 2013, 07:28   #294
Distinguished - BHPian

@TheArun, thanks for that post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaveed View Post
I have read some comments where they suggest to keep away from Safari if you do not know the vehicle history personally.is this true ?
This can be applied to any vehicle. But most often is not possible, hence the next best approach would be a full check - with the help of knowledgeable friends, and like what @theArun did, by taking help of the TASS.
condor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2013, 09:45   #295
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaveed View Post
I have read some comments where they suggest to keep away from Safari if you do not know the vehicle history personally.is this true?
Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
...and like what @theArun did, by taking help of the TASS.
@zaveed - Check this thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...el-system.html You can use the link given in it to check the service records of a Tata vehicle even without approaching TASS [assuming it has been serviced at one]

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 1st December 2013 at 09:47.
comfortablynumb is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2013, 09:52   #296
Distinguished - BHPian

@CN, history on paper is just one part of it ..
Old 1st December 2013, 10:37   #297
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
I have a pre-owned Safari and use it in a similar fashion, weekend drives and occasional long highway run. The 2.2 is the best Safari made till date, not counting the Storme. There are 3 types of Safaris, one is TCIC, then Dicor and then 2.2...
TheArun thank you for all these details,it basically gave me a pretty good idea on the vehicle now. My friend however does not want to go above 3 lakhs, that is his fixed budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@TheArun, thanks for that post.
This can be applied to any vehicle. But most often is not possible, hence the next best approach would be a full check - with the help of knowledgeable friends, and like what @theArun did, by taking help of the TASS.
Agree with you Condor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
@zaveed - Check this thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...el-system.html You can use the link given in it to check the service records of a Tata vehicle even without approaching TASS [assuming it has been serviced at one] -

Cheers,
Vikram
--- THanks Vikram

Last edited by zaveed : 1st December 2013 at 10:41.
Old 1st December 2013, 20:52   #298
BHPian

Quote:
I have a pre-owned Safari and use it in a similar fashion, weekend drives and occasional long highway run. The 2.2 is the best Safari made till date, not counting the Storme. There are 3 types of Safaris, one is TCIC, then Dicor and then 2.2

The TCIC sells from 1-2.5 lakhs, the Dicor sells for 3 lakhs and the 2.2 starts from 3 to maybe even 10 depending on what model it is
@theArun,

we visited some of the second hand car dealers today and found that the safari 2007 model is quoted 7-7.5 lacs, with 75000 -- 100000 kmns on the odo.

If my friend is not getting the 2006-2009 model in and around 3 -3.5 lacs, would you suggest going for TCIC model?

these are listed for cheap on olx, my friend wants to get the vehicle and if needed spend probably another 1 lac at a later point of time to get it to a good condition.

Thanks
zaveed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2013, 21:26   #299
Senior - BHPian

If you bargain hard, you can get the 2013 model for 9 lakhs, so forget about those inflated figures that you get from the dealers.

The TCIC is an excellent Safari, if you can get a 2005 one, that would be excellent, you should be able to get one for under 2 and if you get it from a private individual who has taken good care of the vehicle, that would be the icing on the cake.

Mine was pretty battered up when I bought it, I have slowly nursed it back to health and now without a second thought I have the confidence to fill it up with diesel and do a Kanyakumari-Srinagar and I know it will come out with flying colours.

Keep the search on, I searched for a month, there was a lot of disappointment but then I kept searching till I got the deal that I wanted.

Mod Note : Team-BHP strongly discourages unsafe driving practices that put yourself and other road users at risk. Please do NOT post about illegally high speeds on public roads.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Aditya : 2nd December 2013 at 12:34.
TheARUN is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2013, 22:10   #300
BHPian

Quote:
If you bargain hard, you can get the 2013 model for 9 lakhs, so forget about those inflated figures that you get from the dealers.

The TCIC is an excellent Safari, if you can get a 2005 one, that would be excellent, you should be able to get one for under 2 and if you get it from a private individual who has taken good care of the vehicle, that would be the icing on the cake.

Mine was pretty battered up when I bought it, I have slowly nursed it back to health and now without a second thought I have the confidence to fill it up with diesel and do a Kanyakumari-Srinagar and I know it will come out with flying colours.

Keep the search on, I searched for a month, there was a lot of disappointment but then I kept searching till I got the deal that I wanted.
There is a 2005 SAFARI EX4X2 7STR DICOR 06 BS3, which has clocked 67k , asking price is 2.6l, but as you said keep away from dicor i am not sure .

How do i differentiate whether between the engines?

Thank you, Sent you a PM.

Thanks

Last edited by Aditya : 2nd December 2013 at 12:35.

Most Viewed