Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2015, 10:22   #361
BHPian

Re: Buying a Used Tata Safari?

guys, I need a quick suggestion, I am planning to buy a used Safari and got stuck with 2 options. one of them is 2012 Dicor Lx with 46K on the odo, the owner has got the tyre upgrade etc. Asking 5L + insurance is expired so another 17K.

the second option is 2012 Dicor 2.2 EX with 43K on the odo, car is stock and insurance is renewed few days back. asking price 5.75L.

Both the cars are very clean but i am getting confuse as to which car i should go with. I have little hesitation with the LX as the owner seems tried different upgrades and mods on the car but EX is kept as stock.

Please let me know if the cost of these cars are justified and which car should i go with. I need to make a decision today.
Old 22nd September 2015, 11:30   #362
BHPian

Can't comment on costs but I would go with the vehicle in stock condition, if all other checks are done. Do check the service history before the decision.
Old 22nd September 2015, 11:41   #363
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adroit View Post

the second option is 2012 Dicor 2.2 EX with 43K on the odo, car is stock and insurance is renewed few days back. asking price 5.75L.
Go for EX, the only reason is double AC. Safari really needs double AC to keep the whole cabin cool. In the hot summers as we have, even double AC needs time to make the cabin cool.
mercedised is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2015, 12:19   #364
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravindra M View Post
Can't comment on costs but I would go with the vehicle in stock condition, if all other checks are done. Do check the service history before the decision.
Checked the service history. All clean with timely services.
Old 22nd September 2015, 23:00   #365
BHPian

Safari as per my knowledge is a trusted,sturdy car so buying one is a good practical decision. The details provided here are not enough to come to a conclusion.

I personally would recommend a paid inspection at TASS on the model you choose. Safari if not kept well can have it's share of issues which can be very costly, so this check should serve you well.
Old 27th September 2015, 01:35   #366
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Ex

But frankly both are overpriced by about 75k each.
Old 15th November 2015, 22:29   #367
BHPian

Hello,

For the last 6 months I was looking for a used safari-2.2L Dicor 4*4. I am from kerala and it is extremely difficult to find 4WD safari's down here. I came across 3-4 vehicles and all of them were in bad shape. Now I found a 2008 single owner,safari Vx 4WD. It looks great - colour is red/maroon( i dont know the specific name of that colour) Owner of the vehicle is a nice guy who showed me all the service records. The only concern is the odo reading which stands at 130000km. The vehicle drives great and the interior also in pristine condition. All most all the major work had been done at 1 lakh service including timing belt, clutch disc, front shock absorbers replaced. I got it inspected by an expert mechanic ( not a safari showroom mechanic though). He says that vehicle is in good condition except for the rear shock absorbers which will need replacement after 15000-20000km.

My final offer was 3,40,000 and after some negotation the owner agreed to sell it to me. I am so happy that I got a 4WD safari, top trim, great colour and a reasonable price. My only hesitation is whether it will last another 1-1.5 lakh kilometers. I am willing to spend 75000- 1lakh for maintanence over the next 2-3 years.. what is your opinion guys? i want to use it as my daily drive and my yearly mileage is approximately 15000km.
Old 19th November 2015, 06:06   #368
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrANTO View Post
For the last 6 months I was looking for a used safari-2.2L Dicor 4*4.
Seems to be a good one. There is a white one for sale in Kerala too. I saw the ad on quikr.
Old 18th December 2015, 14:10   #369
Senior - BHPian

I am planning to get a pre worshipped Safari Dicor either 3.0L (Preferably 4X4) or the 2.2vtt. Most of the 2007-2009 trucks I have seen have done close to 1 lakh kms. So assuming all periodic services have been done properly and the car was not abused, will it be safe to take the plunge? My usage will be very minimal in city and the truck will be used exclusively for interstate runs with family. And a quick enquiry with SVC suggests both 3.0 and 2.2's parts are still available without much delay.

And as a disclaimer, I am not much into cars, in a way suck at driving and am perfectly okay with TATA brand. I am fed up of scraping and bumping my Vista's underbody on Bangalore's Lunar landscape and want something with a higher GC. And I am not a speed freak (While driving of course!) and that is how I arrived at the Safari, which is the only truck I can afford right now. Please pour in your suggestions regarding the Safari query and alternatives I have. And no, Please don't suggest EcoSport. Not my cup of tea.

[Edit:] Going by the general trend of the thread, Can I assume that it is recommended to prefer a 1Lakh km run 2.2Vtt over a similarly run 3.0?

Thanks in Advance.

Last edited by man_of_steel : 18th December 2015 at 14:26.
Old 20th December 2015, 08:42   #370
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post

[Edit:] Going by the general trend of the thread, Can I assume that it is recommended to prefer a 1Lakh km run 2.2Vtt over a similarly run 3.0?

Thanks in Advance.
Yes. Even a 20% higher run 2.2VTT would be better.

There will be major maintenance up ahead but that should not deter you. It is afterall a machine and parts age and have to be replaced. 2.2vtt parts should be better available.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2015, 11:24   #371
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Yes. Even a 20% higher run 2.2VTT would be better.

There will be major maintenance up ahead but that should not deter you. It is afterall a machine and parts age and have to be replaced. 2.2vtt parts should be better available.
Thanks for the response. So 2.2VTT it is! Saw a '08 model 94k run EX specimen yesterday. Engine felt good, torquey and smooth but gearshifts were a bit hard but with no mis-shifts. I can understand that it will be harder than gears of an average hatchback, but is it really hard or the Safari's shift supposed to be butter smooth?

I have another '09 2.2Vtt LX which is said to be in excellent condition with only 65k in ODO. But this is about a lakh pricier (and above my budget) than the beforementioned one which is an EX. So, if the condition is excellent as it is claimed (yet to see the truck), will it make sense to pay a lakh more for the 63k run LX than the 93k run EX? (Both are 3rd owners afterall). Please provide your suggestions.
Old 21st December 2015, 13:09   #372
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the response. So 2.2VTT it is! Saw a '08 model 94k run EX specimen yesterday. Engine felt good, torquey and smooth but gearshifts were a bit hard but with no mis-shifts. I can understand that it will be harder than gears of an average hatchback, but is it really hard or the Safari's shift supposed to be butter smooth?

I have another '09 2.2Vtt LX which is said to be in excellent condition with only 65k in ODO. But this is about a lakh pricier (and above my budget) than the beforementioned one which is an EX. So, if the condition is excellent as it is claimed (yet to see the truck), will it make sense to pay a lakh more for the 63k run LX than the 93k run EX? (Both are 3rd owners afterall). Please provide your suggestions.
Are you saying that these are cars where you would the third owner or the fourth. If you are going to be the fourth owner I would definitely say NO for a vehicle just 6 years old. Why has it changed hands so many times?

I would normally look for a singe owner or at max 2 previous owners for a vehicle of this age. With so many owners Service history becomes hard to get.

yet between the two: It is hard to imagine a 6 year old Safari with 3 owners having done only 63k kms. Doesn't seem believable. Infact 93K is also just par. I definitely suggest the 93k Ex over the 63K Lx which is a year older, but suggest you figure out that this is genuine 93K and check the service history carefully and get a service centre to check out the vehicle (mainly engine before you buy it.
Old 21st December 2015, 14:26   #373
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Are you saying that these are cars where you would the third owner or the fourth. If you are going to be the fourth owner I would definitely say NO for a vehicle just 6 years old. Why has it changed hands so many times?
Unfortunately, yes. I would be the 4th owner. And I dont have an answer for "Why so much hands change" either! There are a loads of 3.0L second owner ones, but most of the 2.2Vtts are second-third owners.

Quote:
I would normally look for a singe owner or at max 2 previous owners for a vehicle of this age. With so many owners Service history becomes hard to get.
Point taken. Currently searching for more options.

Quote:
I definitely suggest the 93k Ex over the 63K Lx which is a year older, but suggest you figure out that this is genuine 93K and check the service history carefully and get a service centre to check out the vehicle (mainly engine before you buy it.
Surely. Whichever truck I shortlist, I will have it checked from ASC, including compression tests and fuel pressure tests.
Old 21st December 2015, 14:30   #374
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Surely. Whichever truck I shortlist, I will have it checked from ASC, including compression tests and fuel pressure tests.
You can also check if a search using this system throws up any results:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...el-system.html

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2015, 14:37   #375
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
You can also check if a search using this system throws up any results:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...el-system.html
Wow. Thanks a lot Vikram. Had a quick check with the 2.2Vtt I saw yesterday and It worked! I think it is displaying the registered owner's name. But I was able to verify the last service date and mileage from that with what the seller mentioned.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks