Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2016, 17:31   #376
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adroit View Post
guys, I need a quick suggestion, I am planning to buy a used Safari and got stuck with 2 options. one of them is 2012 Dicor Lx with 46K on the odo, the owner has got the tyre upgrade etc. Asking 5L + insurance is expired so another 17K.

the second option is 2012 Dicor 2.2 EX with 43K on the odo, car is stock and insurance is renewed few days back. asking price 5.75L.

Both the cars are very clean but i am getting confuse as to which car i should go with. I have little hesitation with the LX as the owner seems tried different upgrades and mods on the car but EX is kept as stock.

Please let me know if the cost of these cars are justified and which car should i go with. I need to make a decision today.
I didn't go for any of these vehicles as decided to wait for sometime and look for better options. It was like every day story for me to spend 10 mins on all possible online websites which list used cars.

Finally, closed the deal with a Dec 2011, Faridabad reg Dicor LX with 57K on the odo with complete service history and all suspension, Clutch and 50 K service done at TASS for 3.85L. Tyres would last for another 10K KM and there is no other expense required for at least a year.

Not sure about the cost but very happy with the car, its clean inside out. Though, i wanted to buy a 4x4 but now its like a dream come true for me.

Not sure if its been shared here earlier but the below link has helped me big time in screening and check the actual odo readings on tata cars. I found so many cars stating around 40K on odo in their advert but actually the cars did more than 80k - 90k KM. You just need to put the registration number of the car and it will give you the owner details along with the odo readings of the last time vehicle went in TASS.

http://www.tatamotorsassured.com/ind...ell&Itemid=128

Last edited by ampere : 28th January 2016 at 00:02. Reason: Merged back to back posts
Old 6th January 2016, 17:57   #377
Senior - BHPian

Re: Buying a Used Tata Safari?

Quote:
Originally Posted by adroit View Post
Not sure if its been shared here earlier but the below link has helped me big time in screening and check the actual odo readings on tata cars. I found so many cars stating around 40K on odo in their advert but actually the cars did more than 80k - 90k KM. You just need to put the registration number of the car and it will give you the owner details along with the odo readings of the last time vehicle went in TASS.

http://www.tatamotorsassured.com/ind...ell&Itemid=128
Thanks for the link. I just saw that the my ex Safari was last serviced by me at 132000kms at Tata before i sold it. It seems no service was done by the new owner at Tata since then.
Old 6th January 2016, 18:00   #378
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
Thanks for the link. I just saw that the my ex Safari was last serviced by me at 132000kms at Tata before i sold it. It seems no service was done by the new owner at Tata since then.
Possible or I'd also think that the new owner is taking the Safari to a Neighborhood garage for servicing, such details do not get captured.
Old 25th January 2016, 12:06   #379
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
I would normally look for a singe owner or at max 2 previous owners for a vehicle of this age. With so many owners Service history becomes hard to get...
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
You can also check if a search using this system throws up any results:
Thanks a lot for the help guys. I was unable to find a good single/two owner(s) 2.2Vtt with full service history in my budget and finally decided to take the plunge and go for a 2005 1.5Lakh Kms single owner driven 3.0 Dicor 4x4! The truck is in very good mechanical condition and the 4x4 system works just fine. Have given it for all fluid replacement, brake overhaul and steering tie-rod replacement.

Have changed the tyre to Geolandar A/T since the previous owner was running on 295/50 H/T tyres which was obviously not up to my taste!

Special thanks to SPEEDY_RACER for his help and reassurance on the 3.0 Dicor engine!

Buying a Used Tata Safari?-12573137_949630798417982_5319008723771576525_n.jpg

Buying a Used Tata Safari?-12631433_949634725084256_8871637429458782083_n.jpg

Buying a Used Tata Safari?-img_20160123_074605075.jpg

The Father and Son.
Buying a Used Tata Safari?-img_20160123_075151950.jpg

Last edited by man_of_steel : 25th January 2016 at 12:19.
man_of_steel is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 25th January 2016, 13:33   #380
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Thanks a lot for the help guys. I was unable to find a good single/two owner(s) 2.2Vtt with full service history in my budget and finally decided to take the plunge and go for a 2005 1.5Lakh Kms single owner driven 3.0 Dicor 4x4! The truck is in very good mechanical condition and the 4x4 system works just fine. Have given it for all fluid replacement, brake overhaul and steering tie-rod replacement.

Have changed the tyre to Geolandar A/T since the previous owner was running on 295/50 H/T tyres which was obviously not up to my taste!

Special thanks to SPEEDY_RACER for his help and reassurance on the 3.0 Dicor engine!

Attachment 1464706

Attachment 1464707

Attachment 1464708

The Father and Son.
Attachment 1464709
Congrats on the Ride, need to see it in Flesh, as said earlier its very difficult to get a single owner driven Safari's now a days and that to yours is a 4*4 . Just ensure that you remove the Fuse of 4*4 in fuse box, and then connect it when ever you intend to use it.

Doing this you would be double sure that you/any one would not drive it in 4*4.

Last edited by SPEEDY_RACER : 25th January 2016 at 13:35.
SPEEDY_RACER is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2016, 16:10   #381
BHPian

Congratulations Man of steel. That is a machine that matches your handle perfectly. It looks good for a few more years and should give you many thrills. Looking forward to know about your 4x4 adventures with it.
Old 25th January 2016, 17:43   #382
BHPian

Congratulations! Your Safari looks good with its Nudge Guard and the driving lights on it. I always wanted to add one to mine, but couldn't find a store selling the nudge guard in Chennai.

Happy mile munching.
Old 25th January 2016, 23:42   #383
Senior - BHPian

Looks good. If you don't mind, could you share how much you spent?
Old 27th January 2016, 17:48   #384
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEEDY_RACER View Post
Congrats on the Ride, need to see it in Flesh, as said earlier its very difficult to get a single owner driven Safari's now a days and that to yours is a 4*4 . Just ensure that you remove the Fuse of 4*4 in fuse box, and then connect it when ever you intend to use it.
Good tip. Will try it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enobarbus View Post
Congratulations Man of steel. That is a machine that matches your handle perfectly. It looks good for a few more years and should give you many thrills. Looking forward to know about your 4x4 adventures with it.
Thankyou.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Congratulations! Your Safari looks good with its Nudge Guard and the driving lights on it. I always wanted to add one to mine, but couldn't find a store selling the nudge guard in Chennai.

Happy mile munching.
The one on this is of the brand CarryBoy. there is another one from Hiker too. I think you should be able to find it in Chennai too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
Looks good. If you don't mind, could you share how much you spent?
PMed you.

So the truck is now out in good mechanical shape after a brake overhaul, steering tierod replacement, small A/C overhaul and all fluid change. He is riding beautifully now! Just loving it!
Old 27th January 2016, 22:26   #385
BHPian

Hello friends,

Finally my search for a pre-worshipped 4WD safari came to an end 2 months ago. It took me 6 months to track down a well maintained 4WD safari. I saw numerous 2WD safari's but I was specific about my requirement ; a 2.2L safari Dicor 4WD

vehicle details:

2008, single owner Tata Safari 2.2L dicor 4WD, Mineral red colour,VX trim[ABS,airbags,reverse camera etc.]

I paid 3.45 Lakh for my beast.

Odo reading : 1.3 lakh[130k] at the time of purchase. current ODO at 135k km

The previous owner [ a young business man of around 30 years, a hardcore safari fan himself] had maintained the car very well. No accidents or Insurance claims so far. Complete service history was available at TASS. Complete check up of the vehicle was done before the purchase. No major work pending according to the mechanic at TASS [except rear shock absorbers needs to be replaced within next 10-15k km]

Last 2 months , I have driven around 5000km. Used 4WD at least 5-6 times.It works great.

As part of my preventive maintanence plan I have replaced all the suspension bushes, wheel bearings, tie rod assembly, fluids and lubes etc.

My list of planned upgrades/works

1.New head light assembly and better head lamps.
2. Hella lights and new fog lamps [my left side fog lamp is not working]
3. Tyre upgrade - replace 2 tyres with either Bridgestone Dueller or MRF wanderer. Actually I wish to upgrade to Michelin A/T but budget constraints forces me to go with MRF Wander
4.Suspension overhaul and replacing the rear shock absorbers.

I am confused about whether to buy a spare wheel cover or not. I love the bare look of the wheel. Also TASS gave me an estimate of 5500 rupees for the sparewheel cover including painting and labour charge. so I am thinking about saving that money and buy a better pair of shoes for my ride.

attaching a few pictures taken with my mobile phone during my recent trip to Munnar
Attached Thumbnails
Buying a Used Tata Safari?-2.jpg  

Buying a Used Tata Safari?-team-bhp-1.jpg  

Buying a Used Tata Safari?-3.jpg  

Buying a Used Tata Safari?-4.jpg  

Buying a Used Tata Safari?-5.jpg  

DrANTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th January 2016, 22:56   #386
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Thanks a lot for the help guys. I was unable to find a good single/two owner(s) 2.2Vtt with full service history in my budget and finally decided to take the plunge and go for a 2005 1.5Lakh Kms single owner driven 3.0 Dicor 4x4! The truck is in very good mechanical condition and the 4x4 system works just fine.
I too picked up a Single owner 2007 3.0 L 4x4 Safari Dicor for 2.3 L. Currently with the painter for some touch up. Will post photos once I get it.
pedrolourenco is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th January 2016, 04:12   #387
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrANTO View Post
Hello friends,

Finally my search for a pre-worshipped 4WD safari came to an end 2 months ago.

My list of planned upgrades/works

3. Tyre upgrade - replace 2 tyres with either Bridgestone Dueller or MRF wanderer. Actually I wish to upgrade to Michelin A/T but budget constraints forces me to go with MRF Wander
Hi there, congratulations! It's my dream-purchase as well, albeit one that I have not yet made.

About your tyre upgrade - others can correct me if I'm wrong - but aren't you supposed to replace either all 4 tyres at the same time? Yours is a 4WD, I know. When I bought my used AWD Nissan Rogue, I had to replace all 4 tyres. Uneven tyre tread depth on the tyres is a strict no-no for at least AWD vehicles.

I really think you need to check if this applies to 4WD vehicles as well.
locusjag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2016, 09:51   #388
BHPian

Quote:
It took me 6 months to track down a well maintained 4WD safari. I saw numerous 2WD safari's but I was specific about my requirement ; a 2.2L safari Dicor 4WD

vehicle details:

2008, single owner Tata Safari 2.2L dicor 4WD, Mineral red colour,VX trim[ABS,airbags,reverse camera etc.]

I paid 3.45 Lakh for my beast.

Odo reading : 1.3 lakh[130k] at the time of purchase. current ODO at 135k km

The previous owner [ a young business man of around 30 years, a hardcore safari fan himself] had maintained the car very well.
Your Safari looks great. It has been maintained really well. It is incredible that it has clocked 135000 km. Congratulations !

"Age can not wither her
nor custom stale her infinite variety" to quote Shakespeare.
Prowler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2016, 10:48   #389
BHPian

Quote:
Hello friends,

Finally my search for a pre-worshipped 4WD safari came to an end 2 months ago. It took me 6 months to track down a well maintained 4WD safari. I saw numerous 2WD safari's but I was specific about my requirement ; a 2.2L safari Dicor 4WD
Congrats DrANTO!!! The Beast looks great. Buying a pre-owned beast is in my list too. Hope I too would find a well maintained one. Enjoy your ride and take her to places.
KK_HakunaMatata is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2016, 17:08   #390
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
About your tyre upgrade - others can correct me if I'm wrong - but aren't you supposed to replace either all 4 tyres at the same time? Yours is a 4WD, I know. When I bought my used AWD Nissan Rogue, I had to replace all 4 tyres. Uneven tyre tread depth on the tyres is a strict no-no for at least AWD vehicles.

I really think you need to check if this applies to 4WD vehicles as well.
One can replace tyres in pairs in 4X4s like the safari.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks