Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2016, 02:17   #421
BHPian

Re: Buying a Used Tata Safari?

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Is it just the power related performance that you are not happy with ?
Hi, Yes power, which a remap can perhaps fix? But, cornering/handling is scary and the lack of ABS and airbags are enough reasons for me to think I want to sell it off, which brings me back to my initial query - what do you think a 2012, Safari Dicor LX, 4x2, first owner truck, run 63k km would fetch?

Last edited by RogueRider : 11th December 2016 at 02:18.
Old 12th December 2016, 15:39   #422
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueRider View Post
what do you think a 2012, Safari Dicor LX, 4x2, first owner truck, run 63k km would fetch?
My take would be in the range of 4.50-4.75 lacs, depending on the condition of the car (mechanical as well as cosmetic) and desperation of the buyer
Old 12th December 2016, 17:48   #423
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
My take would be in the range of 4.50-4.75 lacs, depending on the condition of the car (mechanical as well as cosmetic) and desperation of the buyer

That would be your price for a KA registered vehicle? If that's the case, I fear you've quoted on the lower side there for a '12 vehicle. Anyway thanks for the input, now the arduous process of finding a good buyer begins.
Old 12th December 2016, 17:56   #424
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueRider View Post
That would be your price for a KA registered vehicle? If that's the case, I fear you've quoted on the lower side there for a '12 vehicle. Anyway thanks for the input, now the arduous process of finding a good buyer begins.
Pessimistic as it might sound, the fact of the matter is that the DiCOR is almost at its end of life, yours is an LX version, and mileage is not low by any means for a 4 yr old car. Of course, as I said, if the vehicle has been maintained immaculately and if the buyer takes a fancy to it, you can haggle for somewhere around 5 lac. I would be pleasantly surprised if you get that (or more) though - all the best
Old 27th December 2016, 15:17   #425
Senior - BHPian

Guys, I am thinking of buying a used Safari now. But really not sure how safe an otion that might be. Intention was to buy a Hexa somewhere in 2018. But then reading a couple of threads on the benefits of buying a used car, I have been wondering why not look for a used car now instead of waiting till 2018 to buy a new one.

The car I use currently is a Punto diesel, which will stay.

What I need to knwo is how do the Safaris age? I think I will get a Safari 2.2 Dicor of 2011 vintage and there abouts for 4 Lakhs or so? Storme may be a bit more expensive perhaps upward of 8 Lakhs.

What should be the points to check on a 4-5 year old Safari having done approximately 60K kms?
Old 27th December 2016, 15:55   #426
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
What I need to know is how do the Safaris age?
Being the owner of a 2009 DiCOR EX 4x4, I will give you my perspective. Ageing for a Safari (any vehicle for that matter) depends primarily on 2 aspects - the owner and the usage.

As an owner, and a passionate one at that, I have taken all the pains to ensure that my Safari is in top shape at all times. A little extra attention is all it takes to maintain it both cosmetically and mechanically. Try and get hold of a first-owner vehicle, if possible. Also, most Safari owners, by far, are passionate auto-enthusiasts since buying a Safari is a heart-over-head decision. For instance, I had a small nudge on the front bumper in the first year of my ownership and I simply got it replaced, instead of getting it repaired

Coming to the usage: let's get this straight - a Safari cannot take the levels of abuse that, say, a Scorpio (just for the sake of comparison) can. My usage, for instance, has been only outstation drives with very few intra-city runs. Given this, my beast has run only 53K kms in the last 7+ years. With this kind of usage, the Safari has held on like a gem. Not a single major issue or breakdown (touch-wood) ever! I have done overnight / 1000+ km drives with family without the slightest apprehensions and it has not let me down even once. Of course, I have attended to her with utmost care - taken note of the slightest of abnormal sounds/signs and got them attended to. The biggest expense in my 7+ years of ownership has been INR ~20K towards proactive replacement of timing-kit on the advice of my SA last year, after 6 years of ownership. There was no issue whatsoever and I got this done solely at my discretion as preventive maintenance, given that I use my Safari only for outstation drives with family and did not want an untimely failure of the same. With this done last year, I am left with peace of mind for another 5 years or so. Other than this, there has been no major expense barring regular maintenance - heck, even my clutch is running strong till now.

Quote:
I think I will get a Safari 2.2 Dicor of 2011 vintage and there abouts for 4 Lakhs or so?
Depends on the variant, no. of owners, and kms clocked. Don't just rush into a deal which seems sweet - a very low quote might point to a beaten up car.

Quote:
What should be the points to check on a 4-5 year old Safari having done approximately 60K kms?
Get hold of the service history from any TASS. If it has been serviced outside of TASS, I would stay away. Also, as I said above, preferably go for a single-owner vehicle run not more than 60-65K km. Other things to check out would be clutch, timing-kit, and suspension. Tata spare parts are quite reasonably priced and will not burn a hole in your pocket. A Safari is one of the most VFM SUVs in the market today especially when it comes to space and ride comfort.

I will sign-off with a recent pic of my beloved beast! Wish you luck with your hunt.
Attached Thumbnails
Buying a Used Tata Safari?-saf_1.jpg  

Last edited by cool_dube : 27th December 2016 at 16:21.
cool_dube is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th December 2016, 09:57   #427
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the insight Cooldube. Your Safari looks a million bucks. I am almost tempted to ask how much?
Old 28th December 2016, 12:12   #428
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the insight Cooldube.
Anytime

Quote:
Your Safari looks a million bucks.
Thanks! Impeccable maintenance demands toil and time. I have had folks walk up to me and ask if Tata still manufactures this model and get a shock of their lives when I tell them that it is more than 7 years old

Quote:
I am almost tempted to ask how much?
Ha ha... no plans to sell it as of now, not for another year or two at least unless, the Jeep Compass is launched at a mouth-watering price
Old 28th December 2016, 14:20   #429
BHPian

I'm thinking of buying a used safari for a tour of ladakh during next summer as I don't want to take my existing vehicles (i10 & Skoda Laura)
I've a budget of 3.5 L max, considering this; is a used safari best suited for the application? I presume a 4X2 should suffice going by the reports on roads? Or should I look for the 4X4 instead?

Should I look at other options? am open to options as long as the vehicle can be repaired on the road & comes with A/C & PS.

Am not sure of keeping the vehicle after the trip so resale is also important as well. Can cool_dube & other experts pl help me out on this?
Thx.
Old 28th December 2016, 14:38   #430
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raihan View Post
I'm thinking of buying a used safari for a tour of ladakh during next summer
Why don't you consider renting out an SUV from Zoomcar etc. if it is only for the purpose of this trip? They have a whole range of SUVs, right from EcoSport to the all new Endy!

Does not make much sense to go through the hassle of buying and selling within a month or two, notwithstanding the depreciation loss IMHO.

Last edited by cool_dube : 28th December 2016 at 14:39.
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2016, 16:57   #431
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm thinking of buying a used safari for a tour of ladakh during next summer as I don't want to take my existing vehicles (i10 & Skoda Laura)
I've a budget of 3.5 L max, considering this; is a used safari best suited for the application? I presume a 4X2 should suffice going by the reports on roads? Or should I look for the 4X4 instead?
If i would have been in your place, i would have taken i10, Ladakh circuit is not as difficult as it was a decade back (except handful places which are remote and you might not go there). People have taken their Nanos
and total run from your home town should not be more than 7000 kms which is not much. A small car with petrol power is perfect for cold hilly areas. People out there prefer small petrol cars.
But still if you are hell bent on buying another vehicle just for the trip, let me tell you Safari which you will buy within your budget must be a beaten up SUV which would require another few thousands to ensure peace of mind during trip. You might get a good bolero Di turbo 2wd in this price range which is spartan but sturdy vehicle with enough torque for the hills.

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh
Shubhendra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2016, 17:38   #432
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Why don't you consider renting out an SUV from Zoomcar etc. if it is only for the purpose of this trip? They have a whole range of SUVs, right from EcoSport to the all new Endy!

Does not make much sense to go through the hassle of buying and selling within a month or two, notwithstanding the depreciation loss IMHO.
You can rent a car, but can't drive it all through the trip. The taxi union out in Leh will not let you drive a rented car through Khardungla and places around which generally you would want to drive. So check this before you think on renting a car vs owning one. I would still prefer to do this in your own car just because the pleasure you get out of it!
Mafioso is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2016, 19:40   #433
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Should I look at other options? am open to options as long as the vehicle can be repaired on the road & comes with A/C & PS.

Am not sure of keeping the vehicle after the trip so resale is also important as well. Can cool_dube & other experts pl help me out on this?
Thx.
Any old vehicle of unknown service history is a no-no for a long trip, especially to the hills. Either take your i10 or else buy a new Alto K10 Vxi, which should be within you budget. Small cars have a significant advantage in hills due to shorter wheel base and in case of Alto narrower body. I have driven M800 in the hills and after the Omni Van they are the easiest to drive on twisting slopes
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2017, 18:33   #434
BHPian

Came to know of a 2014 dicor VX 4x2 with around 30k on the odo. Owner is asking for around 9L, slightly negotiable. This is in Pune. What should be the price point for this one?
Old 7th February 2017, 17:17   #435
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
Came to know of a 2014 dicor VX 4x2 with around 30k on the odo. Owner is asking for around 9L, slightly negotiable. This is in Pune. What should be the price point for this one?
Any help on this guys? Also at this point in time does it make sense to buy a dicor or go ahead with a storme instead? Any pointers would help

Most Viewed