Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2017, 13:03   #436
Senior - BHPian

Re: Buying a Used Tata Safari?

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
Came to know of a 2014 dicor VX 4x2 with around 30k on the odo. Owner is asking for around 9L, slightly negotiable. This is in Pune. What should be the price point for this one?
Sounds like a good deal to me, given the age and mileage of the car. Check for service history, TD it, and close the deal if the owner comes down to 8.5 lac or so. Not sure about your location but do factor in the LTT to be paid in case you migrate the car from MH to your home state.

Quote:
Any help on this guys? Also at this point in time does it make sense to buy a dicor or go ahead with a storme instead? Any pointers would help
While the DiCOR is nearing its end of life, there are no concerns from a part availability standpoint over the foreseeable future. In fact, you can still get a new DiCOR out of the factory on order albeit only the LX and EX variants. That said, do TD the Storme once, given improvements around engine refinement and braking. Eventually, it boils down to your budget AND individual preference around looks. If you can afford to buy a new Storme and do not have a soft corner for the killer looks of a DiCOR, go for the former. If not, the DiCOR VX will not disappoint you

Last edited by cool_dube : 17th February 2017 at 13:05.
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2017, 15:47   #437
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
Guys, I am thinking of buying a used Safari now. But really not sure how safe an otion that might be. Intention was to buy a Hexa somewhere in 2018. But then reading a couple of threads on the benefits of buying a used car, I have been wondering why not look for a used car now instead of waiting till 2018 to buy a new one.

The car I use currently is a Punto diesel, which will stay.

What I need to knwo is how do the Safaris age? I think I will get a Safari 2.2 Dicor of 2011 vintage and there abouts for 4 Lakhs or so? Storme may be a bit more expensive perhaps upward of 8 Lakhs.

What should be the points to check on a 4-5 year old Safari having done approximately 60K kms?
I would also suggest going for the Storme. As for how the vehicle ages, I would also agree with CoolDube completely- depends on the owner and usage. That said, the Safari IMHO ages pretty decently and a well maintained safari could be next best thing to new.
P.S: Please check my ownership thread for interior /exterior pics of ageing (or lack of it) and the awesome paint quality of the Storme.

i would also see the maintenance costs that you would incur. I have found the storme comparatively low maintenance as Im in 5 th year of ownership. Please check my thread for full ownership and service cost.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ip-report.html

Last edited by vigneshkumar31 : 19th February 2017 at 15:55. Reason: added text
Old 15th June 2017, 17:35   #438
BHPian

Hi Everyone!

I have been exploring options to pick up a nice 4x4 Safari. I have my eyes on a 2007 4x4 EX 3.0 DiCOR, which has run 1,28,000 kms. The owner is expecting 4 Lakhs. I think it must cost lesser. Suggestions and thoughts will be greatly appreciated

Thanks a ton motorheads!
Old 15th June 2017, 18:24   #439
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawan_dubey View Post
Hi Everyone!

I have been exploring options to pick up a nice 4x4 Safari. I have my eyes on a 2007 4x4 EX 3.0 DiCOR, which has run 1,28,000 kms. The owner is expecting 4 Lakhs. I think it must cost lesser. Suggestions and thoughts will be greatly appreciated

Thanks a ton motorheads!
4 lakhs for 2007 is for sure on higher side, i sold my 2006 4*4 VX for 3.5 lakhs which was 4 yrs back.
Old 1st August 2017, 15:49   #440
BHPian

Request suggestion for A.S.S. workshops in Delhi for a pre-purchase inspection of Safari Storme Ex variant 2014 model . Or is the level of competence and therefore reliability of inspection report more or less uniform across different A.S.S. workshops ?

Also are there any specific issues that require more focus in this vehicle ?
Old 5th August 2017, 15:12   #441
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Came to know of a 2014 dicor VX 4x2 with around 30k on the odo. Owner is asking for around 9L, slightly negotiable. This is in Pune. What should be the price point for this one?
I know your post is a bit old. Keen to know what you did eventually. The above vehicle clearly looks pricey to me. I had sold my Storme Lx in Dec 2015 for around 8.65l and it was a Aug 13 model with around 43k on odo and top notch condition.
Old 8th August 2017, 12:20   #442
BHPian

Did not go ahead with it. Some unforeseen commitments came up and I had to defer my car buying plans.
Old 6th October 2017, 12:51   #443
Distinguished - BHPian

Need some advice here.
Is a 4x4 really required if one is not treading majorly off road?
For leh or spiti like water crossings? How bad does the ground have to be before you can feel blessed to have bought 4x4?
I am looking for a safari, and 4wd are painfully hard to find.
Old 6th October 2017, 16:26   #444
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Need some advice here.
For leh or spiti like water crossings? How bad does the ground have to be before you can feel blessed to have bought 4x4?
Neel has completed his Leh trip some time back and another member ADC has been going regularly to the Himalayas - all with 2 wheel drive Safari/Storme. So if you are careful enough, the lack of a 4x4 is not a big deal.
Prowler is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2017, 22:23   #445
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Need some advice here.
From my 4.5 years driving experience in frozen New England, I can say that a 4x4 is worth its weight in gold when you are stopped and need to start moving up on an icy/frozen inclined surface. Since you need adequate friction to fight gravity on the incline, having power delivered to all 4 wheels means you have that many more surfaces with friction.

Having said that, apart from a 4x4, a FWD works next best on inclined icy surfaces since you have the engine weight pushing down on the two wheels that convey the engine's power. Even then, my friend has a funny story to tell in his FWD Honda Civic where he couldn't move the car an inch and he had to reverse and catapult himself off an inclined traffic signal stop when the light turned green, much like navy fighter aircraft launch themselves off of ski-jumps on aircraft carriers...other motorists lined up behind him and each of them took turns to launch themselves as the light turned green

I found myself stuck on a rented RWD minivan on an inclined, frozen spot at a red light. The minivan snaked and zig-zagged when I tried to roll as the light turned green...not pleasant at all.

In my own AWD SUV, that spot has never bothered me at all.

This long monologue of mine about frozen conditions took shape in my mind when you mentioned Leh and Spiti.

As a final unsolicited note - ever noticed how the locals who live in the Himalayan regions themselves own Altos and Maruti 800s? IMO, these FWD cars are enough for those conditions. A good friend of mine covers Leh regularly in his Alto without a problem.

Last edited by locusjag : 17th October 2017 at 22:26. Reason: typo
locusjag is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 21st October 2017, 09:14   #446
BANNED

Quote:
For water crossings, you dont need a 4WD generally but if you have it, you can cross them in 4H without going through them based on your momentum like taxis do and hence save your suspension and tires. All taxis doing duties at Spiti and Leh are 2WDs but the drivers are used to driving in those areas, have enough manpower in the form of passengers to pull/push the vehicle if it gets stuck, and dont get adventurous without cause.

A 2WD can get stuck even in a small, sandy patch if it is soft, a bit of snow/ice on the tarmac and moderate ruts where one wheel comes off the ground.

Getting a pre-owned 4WD Safari is indeed tough and being patient is the only option unless you are ok with looking at other vehicles.
Old 21st October 2017, 10:21   #447
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
For w--------SNIP------ther vehicles.
Thanks.
So, how I justify getting a 4X4, even if it gets used once in 2 years, is that I am not a cabbie. I dont know the ins and outs of the roads I frequent, unlike locals in say Spiti, who know every rock under the water. So, i believe its better to have and not want, rather than want and not have.

The search continues.
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2017, 20:34   #448
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks.
So, how I justify getting a 4X4, even if it gets used once in 2 years, is that I am not a cabbie. I dont know the ins and outs of the roads I frequent, unlike locals in say Spiti, who know every rock under the water. So, i believe its better to have and not want, rather than want and not have.

The search continues.
I agree if buying preowned buying 4X4 is what makes most sense. Frankly the Storme is a vehicle that makes most sense in 4X4 form today, as for people carrying abilities and ride comfort there are other options. Wait till you get the right option.
Old 25th November 2017, 13:44   #449
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks.

The search continues.
I would say you don't really need a 4wd for Spiti/Ladakh per say. The regular routes are simple enough and can be completed in a high GC car easily. Heck, hatches are doing these circuits now. A lot depends on the time and conditions. Of all the water crossing you will encounter, only a few will pose some serious challenge. Like devdath mentioned, a little bit of momentum is usually enough to carry you through. If unsure, stop, get down, get a feel of it and then carry on. Don't risk the shortcuts on the passes and you should be fine. Save for the Gramphoo-Batal stretch, most of the "off beat routes" are tarred now.
Old 24th May 2018, 17:53   #450
BHPian

Dear all,

I'm about to make a purchase on a 2008 Safari 2.2 Vx 4x4. The vehicle has clocked about 1.05 lakh kms. The owner has also spent quite a large sum to fix the vehicle (bills available) - suspension overhaul, timing belt, clutch, hoses and a host of other things.

My question is, would it be advisable to buy a Safari with more than 1 lakh kms on the odo? My primary requirement is to travel with my family (Wife + kid).
sawan_dubey is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed