Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2020, 17:08   #466
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Buying a Used Tata Safari?

^^ I suspect any 5-8 year old diesel car that shows a reading of 60-70k on the odo.

If the odo is genuine, and it shows a clean history from service records, a 70k Storme is not a bad buy.
vigsom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th June 2020, 19:23   #467
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourav_GO View Post
Hello everyone have been following the thread for sometime and tempted to say that pre-owned Tata Safari is good VFM. Found a 2013 Tata Safari Storme, done about 70km on odo.
What should be ideal value of it? Will it be reliable enough for taking long trip?
Are you sure its 2013 Tata Safari Storme? since Storme was release later years in 2017 or so. so please confirm if its a 2018 model? by the way what is the ask for? thorougly get it checked in the Authorized Service centre before you take it.

I can help with the contacts if required but without getting it checked i would not jump for buying even though the vehicle is with dealer.
SPEEDY_RACER is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2020, 19:53   #468
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEEDY_RACER View Post
Are you sure its 2013 Tata Safari Storme? since Storme was release later years in 2017
The first Storme came out in late 2012 actually. 2015 they came out with the refreshed version (interior and cosmetic changes) and then early 2016, they launched the V400 as well.

Aside from that, if the kms are genuine, with a clean and regular service history, then it should still be a good bet, after all these years.

The Storme/Safari loves open roads, and is built for undertaking long trips. If the mechanicals are well maintained, it can just keep going on as the basic underpinnings are of rugged build.

Last edited by avinash_m : 24th June 2020 at 20:01.
avinash_m is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th June 2020, 10:34   #469
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEEDY_RACER View Post
Are you sure its 2013 Tata Safari Storme? since Storme was release later years in 2017 or so. so please confirm if its a 2018 model? by the way what is the ask for? thorougly get it checked in the Authorized Service centre before you take it.

I can help with the contacts if required but without getting it checked i would not jump for buying even though the vehicle is with dealer.
Thanks for your comment. The price quoted us 5L. Is this a fair deal assuming ODO and everything is correct and the condition is decent.

The price quoted is 5 lakh...is this a fair deal for a 7-8 years diesel, assuming the condition is decent as it appear. I will inspect it soon.

Last edited by moralfibre : 25th June 2020 at 12:19. Reason: Back to back posts.
Old 25th June 2020, 17:15   #470
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_m View Post
The first Storme came out in late 2012 actually. 2015 they came out with the refreshed version (interior and cosmetic changes) and then early 2016, they launched the V400 as well.
Then its my Bad, i was thinking that the Storme was released in 2016-17 thanks for correcting.

Quote:
Thanks for your comment. The price quoted us 5L. Is this a fair deal assuming ODO and everything is correct and the condition is decent.

The price quoted is 5 lakh...is this a fair deal for a 7-8 years diesel, assuming the condition is decent as it appear. I will inspect it soon.
5 Lakhs might be bit on higher side, get it checked in throughly at Authorized Service centre.
Old 9th July 2020, 17:08   #471
BHPian

Quote:
Hello everyone have been following the thread for sometime and tempted to say that pre-owned Tata Safari is good VFM. Found a 2013 Tata Safari Storme, done about 70km on odo.
What should be ideal value of it? Will it be reliable enough for taking long trip?
60-70k km is the sweet spot for odometer tampering cases in 5-7 year old big diesel SUVs like the Safari, XUV, Fortuner etc where the actual kms clocked would be north of 1 lac km. Have a thorough look at the service history as nowadays those are faked too. The modus operandi is to service the car until warranty expires at the service centre and then service it at a local garage. When its time to sell the car they roll back the odometer and then have a service done at the authorised service centre. To an unsuspecting person it will seem genuine.
Old 12th July 2020, 02:54   #472
BHPian

Tried n tested method while buying second hand vehicles is to take a trusted mechanic for a test drive n inspection of the vehicle.
Old 12th July 2020, 08:12   #473
BHPian

Friend of mine is looking to sell 2015 StormeEX with 41k Odo reading in Mumbai with all services done in TASS itself and Car is maintained well and single owner/driver.
Sadly the RC owner recently expired and now need to transfer it to the mother and prospective buyer is going to be the 3rd owner at least on paper.
Question is asking price of 5-6 lakh is a fair deal or is way too much high? So far couple of interested parties have seen and top offer is 4.5L. TIA

Last edited by Thanos-VV : 12th July 2020 at 08:13. Reason: Spelling due to auto correct.
Old 19th July 2020, 09:53   #474
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanos-VV View Post
Friend of mine is looking to sell 2015 StormeEX with 41k Odo reading in Mumbai with all services done in TASS itself and Car is maintained well and single owner/driver.
Sadly the RC owner recently expired and now need to transfer it to the mother and prospective buyer is going to be the 3rd owner at least on paper.
Question is asking price of 5-6 lakh is a fair deal or is way too much high? So far couple of interested parties have seen and top offer is 4.5L. TIA
Having seen a total of 10 different vehicles in the last three months I can say this: If you're buying from someone you know & trust, and the vehicle has a service history (which is clean of course) then it's certainly a vehicle that should be at the top in your shortlist. In my observation, dealing with the unknowns is the worst part when buying used.

About the price, since you are in Mumbai, I cannot really comment. But, to give you a reference point, over here in Karnataka, people are quoting anywhere between 3.3 - 4.5 lacs for second/ third owner 2008-2010 4×4 models, 70k - 100k on the odo. I haven't seen a single safari storme on sale so far though. But, I expect a 2015 storme to be priced no less than 10 lacs in karnataka.

P.S: I have postponed my hunt and purchase due to the coronavirus situation. Karnataka has climbed up the infection ladder like anything in the last few weeks. So, keeping everybody's safety and interest in mind, I've decided not to venture out until the situation improves.
Old 13th September 2020, 08:18   #475
BHPian

Hi,

I have been looking for Tata Safari Stormes and have found two options :

1. 2013 VX, 1L kms on Odo, battery is a bit weak, engine housing is rattling a little bit while revving, otherwise decent ride. Some cosmetic modifications done like after market bull bar and roof mounted TV which break the aesthetics for me. Not in the best shape in terms of looks. The vehicle is with a used car dealer so I have options for financing and to exchange my Alto with dealer as part of the deal. Tyres have not been changed for past 1L kms. Warranty of 1L kms and Insurance expired.

2. 2013 VX, 1.7L kms on odo, have only seen it on screen and would be seeing it today. Buying directly from the owner who seems to be an enthusiast. From the pictures looks very well maintained. Extended warranty of 1.5L kms expired, INsurance is valid.

I am getting help from a more mechanically skilled friend to have a second opinion, but if both vehicles are mechanically sound which is a better option?

Generally what is the expected life of a Tata Safari Storme? How many kilometers can they run reliably? It has always been a dream vehicle, so my confusion is only between the two individual units.
Old 13th September 2020, 10:30   #476
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by king of cochin View Post
Hi,

Generally what is the expected life of a Tata Safari Storme? How many kilometers can they run reliably? It has always been a dream vehicle, so my confusion is only between the two individual units.
Storme shares the same engine (with some modifications ) with Dicor 2.2 l.It is a known reliable work horse and if properly maintained can last several hundred thousand kms. I have seen 330000 km run Safaris with unopened engines - living with routine maintenance.

Main things to note: Timing belt requires to be changed every 90k or every 5 years. Replace the pulley and water pump along with it.
Tata vehicles use better quality steel/gauge than others and so can expect longer life. The rubber components in suspension die out in about 6,7 years. Can cost quite a bit for overhauling the suspension - ~45k.

If there is no rust in the undercarriage, you can opt for any of the 2.
Prowler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2020, 20:08   #477
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Storme shares the same engine (with some modifications ) with Dicor 2.2 l.It is a known reliable work horse and if properly maintained can last several hundred thousand kms. I have seen 330000 km run Safaris with unopened engines - living with routine maintenance.

Main things to note: Timing belt requires to be changed every 90k or every 5 years. Replace the pulley and water pump along with it.
Tata vehicles use better quality steel/gauge than others and so can expect longer life. The rubber components in suspension die out in about 6,7 years. Can cost quite a bit for overhauling the suspension - ~45k.

If there is no rust in the undercarriage, you can opt for any of the 2.

Thanks Sir,

I have given advance on Vehicle 1. It had timing belt changed at 70K and has full service history. Really excited about a vehicle I had been dreaming of since 1998!

Vehicle 2 had considerable lag in power delivery, uncomfortable gearing and poor suspension.
king of cochin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2020, 22:13   #478
HTC
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Good luck with your purchase.
Hope to see a mini review of your safari soon.

Between, are you getting 4x4 or 4x2?
Old 14th September 2020, 19:44   #479
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTC View Post
Good luck with your purchase.
Hope to see a mini review of your safari soon.

Between, are you getting 4x4 or 4x2?
I am getting a 4x2 VX LE. I already have a Thar CRDe 4x4. The Alto 800 is effectively a two seater for gigantic people like me so thought of upgrading in size properly.
Old 17th September 2020, 22:35   #480
Distinguished - BHPian

Is a 2014 storme done 70k , 4wd, a good version to buy? I'm quite sure it's not done 70k, ask is 6.9.
I'm desperately in need of one.
Any warning signs to look out for?

Most Viewed