Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2020, 17:06   #496
HTC
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Buying a Used Tata Safari?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo roast View Post
One of my relatives selling his 2016 ES 4x4 storme 17k kms. Ask price is about 9lacs. I have booked the new Thar, but seriously considering to go for this. Please suggest.
Please please go for it if you had dreams of owning Safari.

Which state registered is the car? If not you, let me know

Last edited by HTC : 5th October 2020 at 17:18. Reason: Typo correction
HTC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 23:38   #497
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTC View Post
Please please go for it if you had dreams of owning Safari.

Which state registered is the car? If not you, let me know
Haha! It's a KL registered one. I think Thar with its non existing boot space and bumpy ride characteristics is overpriced at 1.6mill. Let me see if I can further squeeze him and get it closer to 8.
Old 13th October 2020, 10:02   #498
BHPian

Went through the first breakdown of the Safari.

I was going to a friend's place via NICE Ring Road on Sunday when I first noticed Battery warning light popping up. A while later the AC stopped working. By now the Engine warning lights had also come up. A short while after exiting the NICE the handbreak indicator also came up. In the last few kilometers before I reached my friend's place, the horn, indicators and the power window all stopped working.

Got a battery mechanic who checked with Multimeter and battery had a voltage of only 7V. Since the equivalent size Amaron battery was not available he gave me a a smaller Exide battery and it was a nerve racking drive back home.

As per the battery guy it is an issue with the dynamo.

Since this would be my first interaction with Tata Authorized service center I am a bit apprehensive. The nearest TASS is Prerana Motors ( Kudu Gate) and I am planning to give the vehicle for Service on Monday ( I am going on another trip on weekend, different vehicle).

How good is Prerana motors? What kind of cost can I expect for a thorough overhauling of the vehicle?

Please advise.
Old 13th October 2020, 11:09   #499
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by king of cochin View Post
As per the battery guy it is an issue with the dynamo.
Get the alternator looked into as well.

I was in a Safari 2.2 VTT in 2007 when something as similar to this had happened. And alternator was found to be faulty.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2021, 20:41   #500
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo roast View Post
One of my relatives selling his 2016 ES 4x4 storme 17k kms. Ask price is about 9lacs. I have booked the new Thar, but seriously considering to go for this. Please suggest.
Is this Storme still available for sale? If yes, Can you please pm me more details? Iam from Ernakulam.
Old 2nd February 2021, 14:35   #501

Reposting my query from 'Used car price check' thread. Mods, please delete if it is not allowed to repost.

Hello Bhpians. Hope you are all doing good.
This is my first post apart from the introduction post. Please excuse for any mistakes.
We currently own a first gen Ford Figo (2010) - 1.75 lakh kms on the ODO and a Honda Jazz CVT(2015) - 60K kms back home in Udupi. As I am working in Bangalore, due to the current situation I am on the lookout for a pre-worshipped car.

My requirements,
Yearly running of about 10-15K kms. Monthly visit to hometown, occasional trips to the mountains and minor offroading.

Budget - 4 lakhs

Since we already own 2 hatchbacks at home, buying another one does not seem much of a value. Buying a SUV which would provide good seating comfort when travelling with family (5 people) and safety would be a better choice. If I am buying a SUV, 4X4 is a must.

During my search, I have come across a single owner Tata Safari Dicor 2.2 4X4 from 2011.
The car has run only about 60K kms, majority of which is on the highway. Owner has another car, and the Safari was only used for outstation trips.
Battery has been changed recently and the comprehensive insurance has been renewed about a month back.

Me and my Dad took a test drive of the car and it is in very good condition (Mechanically & appearance). It still runs on the tyres on which it came out of the factory. Verified the manufacturing date. The car appears well looked after.

Now coming to the price, owner is asking for 4.5 lakhs due to the car condition and rarity of Safari 4X4. To an extent he is still undecided on selling the car.

I have researched about Tata Safari through Team-bhp and other sources. I understand that the car had a fair share of niggles in the initial batches. Since this car is from 2011, logically majority of them would have been sorted.
I am okay with the minor issues here and there keeping in mind that the car is 10 years old. I prefer working on my bike myself for any minor issues, this car would be a good platform to learn too. Moreover, Safari has been a childhood favourite of mine. So it is a case of heart winning over head.
I am planning on getting the car inspected by a known mechanic before proceeding further.

I need your inputs to understand whether this would be a good buy. Your comments will be of great value.
Thanks in advance.
Shrix458 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2021, 10:48   #502
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrix458 View Post

Now coming to the price, owner is asking for 4.5 lakhs due to the car condition and rarity of Safari 4X4. To an extent he is still undecided on selling the car.

I have researched about Tata Safari through Team-bhp and other sources. I understand that the car had a fair share of niggles in the initial batches. Since this car is from 2011, logically majority of them would have been sorted.
All I can say is that the tyres are due for replacement. That should be factored in while purchasing the car.

Last edited by Sheel : 29th April 2021 at 20:05. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers. Thanks!
Aroy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th April 2021, 19:06   #503
HTC
BANNED

Quote:
During my search, I have come across a single owner Tata Safari Dicor 2.2 4X4 from 2011.
The car has run only about 60K kms, majority of which is on the highway. Owner has another car, and the Safari was only used for outstation trips.
Battery has been changed recently and the comprehensive insurance has been renewed about a month back.

Hi Shrix458,

Did you buy the Safari?

I guess, I might have checked out this Safari 4x4 when this was listed in Olx. IMO felt the asking price of 5 lakhs was on higher side for a 10 year old car.
Sellers expectation after the negotiation was nothing less than 4.75 lakhs. I believe the invoice price would have been less than 12 lakh max in Delhi.
Moreover, the seller can claim the refund to the tune of 50k if interested from Delhi RTO after registering the car in Karnataka. Add to that upcoming service cost of around 15k and new shoes costing 30k led me to drop it from list.
HTC is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th April 2021, 19:16   #504

Quote:
Hi Shrix458,

Did you buy the Safari?

I guess, I might have checked out this Safari 4x4 when this was listed in Olx. IMO felt the asking price of 5 lakhs was on higher side for a 10 year old car.
Sellers expectation after the negotiation was nothing less than 4.75 lakhs. I believe the invoice price would have been less than 12 lakh max in Delhi.
Moreover, the seller can claim the refund to the tune of 50k if interested from Delhi RTO after registering the car in Karnataka. Add to that upcoming service cost of around 15k and new shoes costing 30k led me to drop it from list.
Hello HTC,
Greetings to you. Going by the details you have posted, I think we both might have checked the same car. Unfortunately, I did not go ahead with the purchase, reasons being the same as you have mentioned above.

But to be fair to the owner, he has maintained the car in a very good shape. Karnataka RTO charges would be around 1.2 lakhs if my calculations are correct, which was supposed to be deducted from the selling price. About the tax refund, I am not sure if Delhi RTO is entertaining any refunds for diesel cars which are 10 years old.
Search continues

-Shrix
Shrix458 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2021, 14:37   #505
HTC
BANNED

Quote:
Hello HTC,
But to be fair to the owner, he has maintained the car in a very good shape. Karnataka RTO charges would be around 1.2 lakhs if my calculations are correct, which was supposed to be deducted from the selling price. About the tax refund, I am not sure if Delhi RTO is entertaining any refunds for diesel cars which are 10 years old.
Search continues

-Shrix
Shrix,

Thanks for the reply. Good luck with your search and keep us posted on what you found and what you missed as well

Agree with the maintenance part. Even when we went for test ride, he was effortlessly driving the car at 110 kmph speed on NH. Hopefully, He gets a good buyer.

This Safari bug is kind of addictive. Once it gets to your mind, its very difficult to let go. Safari has a unique kind of road presence which even the new get imported SUVs do not have. I almost bought a 2nd owner '2006 3.0L Safari Dicore4wd' from a gentleman. He had gotten it when odo was around 90k and had run 40k kms. Mainly used for highway rides between Bangalore & Chennai. First owner was a TBHPian and the car was very well kept. I took couple of days to finalize and by the time I could call and confirm, it was lapped up by some Mangalore person. Felt really down for a week.

I even checked out the new Safari (2021). But somehow couldn't connect with the car. And the top end was whooping 28 lakhs in Bangalore. To console myself, I Have booked new Thar in April. Since dealing with Bangalore used car dealers is such a pain, I have very slim chances of finding a good used car. But hunt goes on. Will keep this thread updated if I come across any.
Old 2nd November 2021, 15:36   #506
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by king of cochin View Post
Went through the first breakdown of the Safari.
Hi
How has been your experience with the Storme since?
I have been on the lookout for a Storme on Olx, but the asking prices sometimes seem on the higher side.
Old 2nd November 2021, 15:58   #507
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinchu.c View Post
Hi
How has been your experience with the Storme since?
I have been on the lookout for a Storme on Olx, but the asking prices sometimes seem on the higher side.
The Vehicle has been stable ever since I did a thorough overhaul at Prerana Motors TASS near Kudlu Gate. The vehicle has shown no issues in the 10K kms I have driven since.
king of cochin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2021, 11:20   #508
BHPian

Hi folks,

I believe the safari I checked recently is the same one that Bhp-ians Shrix and HTC checked out.

I was visiting a relative in Karkala and spotted an ad for a safari 4x4 for sale in Udupi. Left a message with my number and I was surprised to get the call from the owner almost immediately. Spoke briefly and he gave an assurance that the car is less driven, in top condition, and there was zero work needed.

But the story was very different when I inspected the car.

The very first thing I noticed is the 4H and 4L lights were glowing from the get go. Which means the 4wd system has gone kaput. I flicked the switch and (no surprise) the 4wd was not working.

Called up the owner and he said he never used it so he has no idea but anyway denied there was an issue with the car and just continued saying thing everything is working fine.

But, I told him I have previously driven safari, scorpio, Pajero, fortuner, Pajero sport, Gurkha, thar, MM540, and GV in 4wd high and low mode. So, I was pretty sure the system was not working.

Upon hearing this, he started saying that the 4wd in safari is weak and the feeling is not the same as thar or other vehicles. And that he has used it in the beach 4-5 times and it worked. So, from "I don't know what it is", he went to "it worked when I used it".

I anyway decided to take the vehicle for a 40 point inspection at the Tata showroom in Udupi. The folks there seemed a bit clueless about 4x4 safari but a senior technician who seemed to have some experience said that the 4H and 4L lights should turn off once the engine is running and that the system was not engaging.

I called the owner to inform him that the showroom folks also confirmed the system isn't working. This time the owner simply said that he is against me checking the vehicle in the showroom. And that if anything happens to the car, I am responsible... in an almost unfriendly tone.

At this point, he also mentioned that the car had a rat infestation problem and he was maintaining the vehicle at a local garage and all these issues started cropping up since then.

So, overall, the shifting storylines, and refusal to do the 40 point check at the showroom kind of made me feel the owner is not being completely honest about the vehicle. In fact there could be some more issues and the owner is trying to dispose-off the car (this explains why he called me as soon as I messaged him on OLX).
sdubey23 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th November 2021, 15:32   #509
HTC
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdubey23 View Post
Hi folks,

I believe the safari I checked recently is the same one that Bhp-ians Shrix and HTC checked out.
Ha ha. It's a small world indeed. When ever I see a 4x4 Safari dicor on road, It makes me skip a heartbeat and feel jealous of driver at the same time. Strange in deed.

If the car is from Udupi, you are right.

Trust me, I drove all the way from Bangalore to Udupi to check out this car (along with presents to his kids as I had got to know he has two kids from my phone conversion with him). Didn't even get invited into home nor was offered water atleast. Felt strange as I would have jumped in joy if some one drove all that far to see my car. Nevertheless, don't want to make it personal. He didnt agree to the price quote(4 lac) and I dropped it there.

After 5 months he again messaged if I'm interested. Well I said yes and agreed for 4.3 lac. I laid out condition of service center inspection and talking to real owner before the deal. And he was not keen on full money transfer and wanted it in cash. I was still fine with it. But wanted a proof for cash given. He agreed for everything. Said he will drive down to Bangalore if I bear fuel cost. I agreed to that also. We fixed a date and I took inspection appointment from tata service near my place. The previous night of the inspection, he said he wants to cancel the deal. I was like WHAT ???

Too many red flags. I should have walked away sooner. But fun is learning lessons in harder way. Isnt it.

Also, just last week he sent a whaptsapp msg with pic of car's RC to me. I promptly blocked him in my contacts.
Old 27th November 2021, 16:35   #510
BHPian

Quote:
Ha ha. It's a small world indeed. When ever I see a 4x4 Safari dicor on road, It makes me skip a heartbeat and feel jealous of driver at the same time. Strange in deed.

If the car is from Udupi, you are right
You drove all the way? And with presents for his kids? If it were my car, I'd sell it to you just for that man! As owners, all we want is a loving owner who will continue to take care of the car the way we do.

And too bad for him coz he doesn't know that we all know each other here on team BHP. Anyway, thanks again to this amazing forum and it's members. Certainly saved us all from buying a lemon.
sdubey23 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks