Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2009, 09:52   #1
Senior - BHPian

Buying a Used Tata Safari?

All the Safari threads on TBhp have been inducing drool for a while now, and while my rational side says the City (1.3Exi from March 2001) is still doing great at 58k kms, especially having been repainted and re-ICEd a year and a half ago, I have sound myself visit the classifieds more than often looking for a good deal. Just cannot afford a new Safari :(

How this one - Used 2008 Tata Safari 4x2 LX DiCOR 2.2 VTT for sale in Bangalore - Profile Id : S77023 - CarWale.com ?

I don't really see myself getting into to off roading too seriously except for some kuchha roads/broken tarmac type territory. My gut feel is that even Spiti is doable in a 4x2 - seen lots of Sumos etc do it and I think I can learn how to use all that torque effectively enough. Cost is a major factor, and the lure of all that space, plus decent FE is strong. It also gives me space for keeping the cycles at the rear and taking off on a vacation around Blore.

Qns:

Ok as a replacement for the City ? I cannot afford to keep both cars right now. While we do not drive too much inside town, both the wife and I do the occasional trip into town, for school, groceries etc. Doable ?

Maintenance ? A lot many have asked me to consider if I'll be ok owning a Tata and especially a Safari after the Honda experience. Now I'm a Telco guy and there have been 3 reasonably painless Indicas in the family, but the City is really really a hands-off experience, even at 58k. Have gotten some work done once or twice, but have not had a single question in my head about taking her out for long trips.

I guess I'll get around 3ish for the City. Fair value ? Has the VTEC alloys, and a decent ICE setup.

Finally, is a used Safari as huge a risk as some folks say it is ? How do I get it properly checked out ?
Old 3rd February 2009, 10:19   #2
Senior - BHPian

I saw this ad and have spoken to that person, he seems nice to talk. Only point I noticed is it has clocked 18000km in just 7 months, so should have done lot of highway drive, Check out how badly vehicle is abused. Its better to take the vehicle to trusted/known garage and cross check with mechanic.

One thing I noticed with Safari clutch is too heavy (I understand it is truck) but you won't get car driving experience.

Only advantage is best ride comfort with decent speeds (60-70kmph) beyond that body roll is there.

Once you are used to Safari driving you will be happy. Make sure you check its underbody for hits (chances are less) because Safai guys tend to drive carelessely because of it comfort it gives in bad roads and get tempted to do some off roading as well.

I feel 6.2 lacs is best deal if that vehicle is in good condition, One can stretch upto 6.4 lacs.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 3rd February 2009, 10:22   #3
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Ravi! You saved me a lot of homework, and I presume its a thumbs up to the idea of a used Safari from your end. I did TD a pal's Safari a while ago and was pretty comfortable with the driving - though that was on a short stretch. Maybe I'll get the dealers to offer a longer TD.
Old 3rd February 2009, 11:47   #4
Senior - BHPian

Hi zenx
I have owned a safari for 15 months now and have never been disappointed with my decision. This was the first diesel in my family too but the beast is great.
The only thing I cant seem to digest is that how can the guy munch up 18k KMS and that too in 7months. But the plus point is that the car is still under warranty and if the extended warranty is not there go for it and you will be covered until 150k kms or 4 years.

Get a proper diagnostics done from a reputed workshop and you can use that as a negotiation tool, as anything that may be wrong with the car can always be covered under warranty. So no worries on that front
Secondly as a new LX in Bangalore is 9.17L (man cars are expensive there compared to Delhi) and if you can manage this for even 6.50L you can pocket a cool discount of 29%. What more can you ask???

My advise is go for it and even if you decide to sell it after a sometime, the major depreciation has already been paid for by the 1st owner and your loos wouldnt be that much.

One thing that comes to my mind is check whether the car has not been in any major accident!! If it has then its an entirely different ball game

Last edited by khan_sultan : 3rd February 2009 at 12:31. Reason: Consecutive posts
Old 3rd February 2009, 12:20   #5
Senior - BHPian

Ravi,

Did the seller mention as to why is it that he is selling the Safari?
Old 3rd February 2009, 12:31   #6
Senior - BHPian

Thats seller didn't mention reason to sell. If I talk to him i will update so Zenx will get better idea.

There are few more Safari for sale with loan as well, also it appeared lot of people are selling their cars/property for unable to pay EMI.

Ravi.
Old 3rd February 2009, 12:35   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
I saw this ad and have spoken to that person, he seems nice to talk. Only point I noticed is it has clocked 18000km in just 7 months.
Ravi, actually speaking it is less - once you get the Safari you start reclaiming your life in all sorts by going to a place where you could never go with your other cars, this is as per my experience.

Quote:

Only advantage is best ride comfort with decent speeds (60-70kmph) beyond that body roll is there.
There is no worry on the body rollover, it is based on the controlling capability of the King by the driver.
Old 3rd February 2009, 12:46   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...There are few more Safari for sale with loan as well, also it appeared lot of people are selling their cars/property for unable to pay EMI...
Definitely a strong possibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowda79 View Post
Ravi, actually speaking it is less - once you get the Safari you start reclaiming your life in all sorts by going to a place where you could never go with your other cars, this is as per my experience...
Oh yeah! When one does not feel the fatigue on long drives, one tend to drive more and farther away.
Old 3rd February 2009, 13:01   #9
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

I own a Safari for past 6 months and I am satisfied the clutch was heavy in beginning but now butter smooth. I have never driven city so can not compare but can be compared to sedans in general.

On highways it is quite stable at 120 - 130 KM/hr ( never ventured beyond 140) and stops in straight line on applying breaks but remember it
is not built for drag racing so do not think of zipping in between the traffic and cornering at high speeds SUVs are not designed for that.

But if you own safari you need not come to dead stop speed on seeing a pothole or sudden road humps , it eats away the 1 foot high speedbreaker and potholes after and before so typical to bangalore.
I am able to take broken / no roads at moderate speeds where City and other seaden drivers need to crawl at 10 -15 Km/hr
and that is the main USP of Safari.
The sideeffect of this is that doors and plastics will rattle but its a compromise on what you want.

18000 KM in 7 months means a lot of highway driving which is not a bad things , because chances of exhaust system clogging and clutch / brake wear out is more in stop and go city driving but still you need to check that vehicle has not met any accidents and not a lemon.

I would suggest to do the following things.

1. Follow PDI checklist of T-BHP yourself to find if there are no obvious issues.

2. Take the vehicle to Tata Workshop ( I would suggest concord moters
at hosur road ) for evaluation ask them specifically to check suspension and engine parts.

3. Drive the vehicle on rough/ broken roads ( plenty behind concord workshop on hosur road) and take a lot of full left and full right turns on moderate speeds to check if there are any squeeks from suspension.

Door rattles , seat squeeks etc are small problems and can be ractified or left as it is if you are not so perticular.

4. On Empty road ( NICE road , off hosur road) speed up to 100+ KM and apply full breaks check that vehcile stops in straight line.

Ask the owner to take extended warranty of 2 years and pay approx 5K to him this will serve you good.

One point If you are owning Safari you will get good ride comfort and drivebility but be prepared for rattles etc. If you do not care too much about the rattling noise on rough roads you will find no reason to visit workshop too often.

Last edited by amitk26 : 3rd February 2009 at 13:02.
Old 3rd February 2009, 13:10   #10
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Amit. Concorde's assessment of the vehicle can be relied upon ? I'll call the owner this evening and pursue this. From what I've heard so far, its a thumbs up! As for rattles, even the City has its share after 8 years.
Old 3rd February 2009, 13:48   #11
Senior - BHPian

I spent my Christmas and New Year holidays scouting for a SAFARI.

Wanted a TCIC within the lowest budget, 98 model even.

Did the rounds of Bangalore, dealers et al, got myself an education in the bargain.

Finally picked up a 99, Black, 4x4 for 2 lakhs.

Man'O Man, haven't been able to wipe that stupid grin off my face since then.

The plus points
  1. The vehicle is a status symbol, makes you look good
  2. Its awesome everywhere, so easy to drive in the city
  3. The BORG WARNER shift-on-the-fly transfer case is a sure bragging point
  4. Comfortable for even my aged parents
  5. Tremendous on the highway
  6. Lights clear the way in the dark
  7. Turbo gives you a kick in the back and its like a free roller coaster ride
Some points I followed
  • Took every vehicle to PRERANA Old Madras Road for an evaluation by the 'True Value' guys
  • Followed the advice given by the T-Bhp gurus
  • Keep eyes and ears open and research the net for the best possible deal
Good luck mate
Attached Thumbnails
Buying a Used Tata Safari?-front-threefourths.jpg  

TheARUN is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2009, 14:01   #12
BHPian

I guess the Guru's have all put up everything that's to be done. The vehicle is planted to the road at whatever speed you are, had a small experience of having a sudden jump at around 140kph and the Bull stood dead straight and focussed to the road.

Squeaks and rattles part of Tata History so i think that can be managed!!!

Just make sure that the vehicle is Good and not battered, if it satisfies you then you'll not regret the decision & it will be very hard to wipe this of your face!!!

Cheers
Ramesh
Old 3rd February 2009, 16:30   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

A pre-owned Safari - that too a 2.2 Dicor, should be a fantastic value proposition. Just verify thoroughly that its not had any major mechanical failures and has been serviced at regular intervals.

Also, buy it only if you intend to keep it for sometime - else you'll lose due to depreciation

Last edited by theMAG : 3rd February 2009 at 16:35.
Old 3rd February 2009, 18:26   #14
Senior - BHPian

Thanks guys, i'm getting very convinced now Given that both the Pulsar and the City have stayed for 6 and 8 years, I think I'm a "keeper" so no worries about selling it unless there are maintenance headaches etc.

Now, to talk to the owner/look for other 2.2s, and parallely sell the idea to my wife. Oh, will also have to find a buyer for the City - it'll be sad to see her go :(
Old 3rd February 2009, 18:39   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenx View Post
...Now, to talk to the owner/look for other 2.2s, and parallely sell the idea to my wife. Oh, will also have to find a buyer for the City - it'll be sad to see her go :(
All the best in your hunt, Zenx!

Mmm... I hope the Safari seller is not a silent spectator here in the forum.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks