Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2009, 21:51   #31
Senior - BHPian

hi buddy, i would recommend you the innova since you drive mostly on the highways. but on the other hand, since you drive yourself, you would prefer the scorpio. the scorpio is more fun to drive than the innova. the scorpio is also more refined than the innova in terms of engine/wind/tyre noise inside the cabin. so i dont think your parents would have a reason to complain. yes, it is not tha most spacious though. the ride quality of the scorpio though much improved, the innova beats it anyday in this aspect!
in short- the scorpio is for you & the innova is for the passengers.

i would advise you to avoid the safari as it is not the most reliable vehicle around. numerous threads on T-BHP & my own personal experiences tell me that it is not a trouble-free vehicle.

Last edited by raj_5004 : 1st April 2009 at 21:53.
Old 1st April 2009, 21:53   #32
BHPian

hey guys i finally test drove the new scorpio today evening. it was a white vlx 7seater. this vehicle has raised the respect level for mahindra in my eyes. i have never driven a scorpio ever before. i drove it for around 20kms on the highway, in the crowded market place, took it to the ghat section, tried turning, reversing and parking as well. the car is very well built & even the quality of the interiors is good. the clutch is very soft, even softer than petrol cars. the steering is also very light during parking, turning but gives good feedback at higher speeds. the acceleration is very good and i was really impressed with it. the suspension was also pretty good, even took through very bad patches of road but the vehicle was very composed and did not bounce much. even tried it by sitting at the middle seat while my dad was driving. the body roll is also acceptable and very less as compared to earlier crde models. i can say this because i have travelled in a scorpio before. the seats very very comfortable. i think they have improved on this. the all round view was also fabulous and the driving position is commanding. the engine vibrates while cranking but after that it is very smooth. the gear lever though vibrates a lot. parking the vehicle was also very easy also driving through crowded places was a breeze.

pros:
1.good looks
2.great acceleration
3.less engine noise
4.commanding view
5.good suspension
6.good space in 1st and 2nd row
7.good aircon
8.good brakes
9.smooth clutch
10.good steering feedback
11.comforable seats
12.negligible turbo lag
13.acceptable turning radius

cons:
1.no aircon vents for the last row
2.vibration in gear nob
3.vibration while cranking
4.less spacious as compared to innova

regarding SAFARI:

i have driven a TCIC before. the suspention was great but the body roll was there. it is pain to drive in crowded places with its huge turning radius. the visibility was pretty good but i found scorpio more driveable in crowded areas.
when the safari 2.2 was launched me and my dad had taken our indica turbo for service at fortune motors, i saw the 2.2 vtt there and me and my dad went there to have a look. when we sat in it our first observation was the shitty interiors. my dad straigthforwarly rejected even test driving it as he did not want to pay 10L for such bad interiors. we are even aware of the tata A.S.S. and the problems that tata vehicles give. so no safari or grande for us. now the only vehile left for testing is the xylo.

no offence to anyone. sorry if i hurt anybody's feelings.
Old 1st April 2009, 22:00   #33
Senior - BHPian

the first thing that came to my mind when i read your above post was: BUT OF COURSE!!!
you know what buddy, the bouncy ride of the scorpio has been hyped too much on this forum. people who have driven the old 2.6 non crde leaf spring scorpio comment on the mHawk 2.2 scorpio's ride quality, without even taking a TD. infact, the ride quality of the safari is much appreciated, even i do. but the difference in the ride quality of the 2.2 safari & the 2.2 scorpio is minor.
the innova is altogether in a different class!
Old 2nd April 2009, 13:36   #34
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
but the difference in the ride quality of the 2.2 safari & the 2.2 scorpio is minor.
If we get the facts right, The Scorpio still bounces and its not a wrong perception or fiction.

There is a huge difference in the way a new Scorpio handles on the highway when compared to the Safari on the Highway.

Yes the Safari Pitches a bit, but does not bounce like the Scorpio

Innova is the right vehicle for you if you dont like the sportiveness of the above two of the SUV's
Old 2nd April 2009, 14:48   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
If we get the facts right, The Scorpio still bounces and its not a wrong perception or fiction.

There is a huge difference in the way a new Scorpio handles on the highway when compared to the Safari on the Highway.

Yes the Safari Pitches a bit, but does not bounce like the Scorpio

Innova is the right vehicle for you if you dont like the sportiveness of the above two of the SUV's
pavan, what i wrote was my point of view, strictly based on my personal experiences. so it nothing to do with getting facts right. infact one of our forum mates who own a safari have commented that he drove a mhawk & found the diffrence in ride quality to be negligible. check the scorpio pics thread if you wish. and a vehicle has lot more to do than just offer a good ride. anyways, i have already got an infraction, so not intending a debate here!!!

but yes, i fully agree with your last statement, the innova is the ideal people mover.
Old 3rd April 2009, 11:52   #36
BHPian

well innova is an excellent vehicle but what i like about the scorpio is its sportiness. now i have to decide between the scorpio and the innova. i inclined towards the scorpio but the jump seats in the 7seater were very uncomforable. i never sat in the last row of the 8seater, how comfortable is it?
Old 3rd April 2009, 13:12   #37
BHPian

Over the last two days, I have test driven xylo, scorpio vlx and sumo grande gx.

The scorpio (7 seater) I drove had captain seats in the middle row. It was very comfortable to move to the third row in between the two seats in the middle row. No need to roll down a seat. The space in third row is decent. I measure 5'11 and it was about an inch between my knee and the back of 2nd row. But my head is kind of grazing the roof. Sumo grande had more space and the seats were also fine, but the overall feel one (I did) has while driving was absent in the sumo grande - may be it is test vehicle's fault. But that's what I got.

Sumo grande still comes with the 75k discount, but I am planning on booking a scorpio SLE this evening. More updates later.
Old 3rd April 2009, 15:37   #38
BHPian

gshanky

The third row seating of grande is very bumpy.
Apart from that being a tata that vehicle i did not had single problem till date
touchwood got a nice piece
11k completed and smooth sailing
Old 4th April 2009, 10:58   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gshanky View Post
Over the last two days, I have test driven xylo, scorpio vlx and sumo grande gx.

The scorpio (7 seater) I drove had captain seats in the middle row. It was very comfortable to move to the third row in between the two seats in the middle row. No need to roll down a seat. The space in third row is decent. I measure 5'11 and it was about an inch between my knee and the back of 2nd row. But my head is kind of grazing the roof. Sumo grande had more space and the seats were also fine, but the overall feel one (I did) has while driving was absent in the sumo grande - may be it is test vehicle's fault. But that's what I got.

Sumo grande still comes with the 75k discount, but I am planning on booking a scorpio SLE this evening. More updates later.
thanks bro, i will definately check out the 7 seater captain seat version as you mentioned that space even in the 3rd row was decent. this is what i want. what did you think about xylo. IMO the biggest turndown about xylo is its looks.
Old 4th April 2009, 12:07   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nawabnabeel View Post
thanks bro, i will definately check out the 7 seater captain seat version as you mentioned that space even in the 3rd row was decent. this is what i want. what did you think about xylo. IMO the biggest turndown about xylo is its looks.

I agree that the look does not favour XYLO. But more then that, I felt the gear stick to vibrate more, low end torque absent, you need to buckle down the 2nd row captain seat to go to 3rd row - I guess i could safely say that xylo is little less refined than the scorpio. The primary reason I would go for scorpio SLE is the ABS. But no captain seats in 2nd row.
Old 4th April 2009, 12:18   #41
BHPian

I can vouch for the Innova. Its a great car and has done over 70K kms till date in a short span of time (i think 3 years or less).
The driving is almost same as yours, 60 highway (Mumbai Pune Expressway), 40 city and what makes it a great deal are the driving dynamics of the car. It seems more like your driving a large car than an MUV & thats where its strongpoint lies besides an excellent suspension.
The car feels at home in the city as much as it feels on the highway. The low end torque makes for excellent drivability in the city & on the highway.

The car is used by my grandfather and he is very happy with it. Also may i add that the car has aged well. The car is working perfectly without any hassles or any problems at all. Electronics are perfect and so is everything else. Id say its a very reliable car and the diesel engine is brilliant. Its pretty quick too for a car this size.

I cant comment on the Safari, Scorpio or Xylo as i dont know anyone who has these.
Just thought feedback would be of some help. Buy the one with captain chairs as these are extrememly comfortable - my grandparents are extremely happy with the comfort it offers them.

Last edited by Xehaust : 4th April 2009 at 12:19.
Old 4th April 2009, 12:33   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driving_smartly View Post
gshanky

The third row seating of grande is very bumpy.
Apart from that being a tata that vehicle i did not had single problem till date
touchwood got a nice piece
11k completed and smooth sailing
So, how do you rate the driving experience? I felt that it was a little vague because grande was a bit wavy and offers nothing in terms of steering response. The experience was close(may be a bit worse) to driving Dodge Magnum, when I rented one for 3 days.
Old 5th April 2009, 00:04   #43
BHPian

i shouldn't be posting here...the answer is clearly Innova. Beware of the pricier Toyota parts.
But otherwise, this should be your blind pick.
Old 7th April 2009, 17:48   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nawabnabeel View Post
I have this and its real comfortable to move to third seat, I have never been to the third seat apart from spending a night sleeping there, and it was more comfortable that reclining the front seat and sleeping there
Anyway the last seat is better utilized by children, but they are not that bad!!
-Pramod

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks