Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2009, 14:50   #16
Senior - BHPian

Straight to the point..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyamtanu View Post
Friends,
1. How is TASS in Pune? Any experiences shared will be of great help.
4. How does it handle in Pune traffic,given the big turning radius.
Shyamtanu
There are three dealers in Pune

a. Oldest and most safari seller(volumewise) is Pandit Automotive. They are competent and technincal. (many places to get your safari serviced in Pune)

b. Bu Bhandari not so volume seller. but OK OK kinda guys. not much competent n many a time reluctant to acknowledge or fix non-trivial issues. Safari workshop is in Hinjewadi only.

c. Pratham Automotive...new kid on the block.. cant comment much but maybe..maybe not the right place for ur safari..

I drove my safari all around pune mainly and didnt find it much of a pain to drive even in Lakshmi Road..You need to calculate before taking a U turn or sharp turn..which I am sure will come with time..(more you drive it traffic more you know it ) i sold it @25K ODO.

However if you plan to drive mainly in Pune.. Do test drive scorpio..it does fare better than safari personally.
Old 4th March 2009, 09:54   #17
Senior - BHPian

Dear TBHPians,

I took time to read all the posts till now on this thread & many more, before I respond to this eternal discussion!!

I guess we are becoming more strained to the fact that 'what we own is the best' - True but for ourselves only!! Might not be true to fellow citizens. Needs vary and so the decisions vary.
Just to quote my own family's example:The 'Scorpio-Safari' battle is at my home too. My dad and grandad are big time fans for Safari(last 9 years +)!! They both now own 2.2VTT's(after TCIC versions) for themselves and would not buy anything else! But I have different needs, so opted for Scorpio(infact two of them in last 5 years). So, whenever we discuss about cars, you can imagine where the discussion leads to!! I now find TBHP no different! Like a family, yet we have our own choices! So let us respect each other and not indulge in unwanted slinging or being overtly possessive!!
This keeps us happy guys! Please feel free to advice our seekers correctly and aptly. Rest of the story we all know before buying a new car-family, wife, mom & dad etc will also weigh in for an educated 'family decision'.

Three cheers!!
Old 4th March 2009, 10:17   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulk76 View Post
There are three dealers in Pune

a. Oldest and most safari seller(volumewise) is Pandit Automotive. They are competent and technincal. (many places to get your safari serviced in Pune)

b. Bu Bhandari not so volume seller. but OK OK kinda guys. not much competent n many a time reluctant to acknowledge or fix non-trivial issues. Safari workshop is in Hinjewadi only.

c. Pratham Automotive...new kid on the block.. cant comment much but maybe..maybe not the right place for ur safari..
I just bought my VX 4x4 few weeks back from BuB, Pashan.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...omes-home.html

I had surveyed all these dealers before making my purchase.

Dealer#C:
Though showroom is swanky and near my house on western suburbs of Pune, did not look professional enough. They did not have a demo Safari and pretended that it was out for test drive. But after few days brought the EX version kept at showroom for display- for my test drive. Put me off! Another issue was they asked for 50% OTR price as advance booking amount and quoted delivery period of 2.5 - 3 months. Imagine, parking ~6.5L with them w/o interest for 3 months. Never went back to them.

Both dealers a and b, looked professional. There was no difference in freebies/offers between them, hence, chose b, as it is closer to my place of dwelling.

Just want to add that the salesmen at BuB for Safari were not that polished, had difficulties conversing in non-vernacular language, etc, but, they appeared honest and willing to go extra. Hence, ok with that. I test drove their Safari 4 times before making a decision to go with them- every time they were more than willing to offer test drive including testing the 4x4 mode at a construction site near Katraj (~ 20kms away from their showroom, one way). Only issue I faced with them was that their salesman whom I was talking to left job after I booked the vehicle and they kept this fact hidden from me and I had no updates from them for my delivery status for a week or so. But, once I spoke to their GM, everything went fine. Overall, I will recommend BuB, Pashan. Btw, I notice more BuB cars than Pandit cars (judging by stickers at the back). May be that is because I live in western part of Pune and its proximity to BuB showroom/workshop?

I am yet to put together my review of the truck, will do soon after the fist long drive planned in the weekend. Till now, I have driven it for about ~450kms. No issues yet- touch wood . I was looking at Altis and Civic (test drove former) before I plunged for Safari- and may be too early, but, still I must say I am happy with the plunge.

Cheers,
BJ
Old 4th March 2009, 10:21   #19
Senior - BHPian

oh man.. talk about discussions of Safari - Scorpio it always meet the same fate

They both equally are average quality. In 2.2 engine only main diff is one uses the bosch and the other delphi and diff. gearboxes... Common

To be honest I feel that one is very lucky to get a good piece of car in India.

The thread owner asked for something very different from what is being discussed here. It seems that in these kinds of discussions all emotions flow out exactly opposite to what the question is or was.. lets not stray away from the main issue being discussed.

Shyamtanu: I have answered few questions you have asked to best of my knowledge. Let us know if they help
Old 4th March 2009, 11:01   #20
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
Dear TBHPians,

I took time to read all the posts till now on this thread & many more, before I respond to this eternal discussion!!

I guess we are becoming more strained to the fact that 'what we own is the best' - True but for ourselves only!! Might not be true to fellow citizens. Needs vary and so the decisions vary.
Surya & others, let me clarify my posts on this thread:

I have no clue about TASCs in Pune other than second-hand information from TIUG. One gentleman from Bombay said
Quote:
there are some like adc & hrag on this forum who are all praises for the safari
which was an unwarranted remark. I cannot speak for adc but I buy a vehicle with my own earned money and put up an ownership thread detailing all experiences and issues. At the end of the day, I'm happy with my purchase.

I don't need to shove the Safari down anybody's throat. Neither do I need to bad-mouth any other product from any other manufacturer.

I repeat - rahulk76's post has all the information the thread initiator needs.
Old 4th March 2009, 11:16   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
Dear TBHPians,

Well said, Getsurya!
To my mind there is a parallel here: it's like owning an Enfield mobike!

There is a very dedicated following for these and there are people who swear by them as being the best touring mobikes available in the country.
The Enfields come with their share of problems, but while they work, the thrill they offer is unparalleled.

Enfield lovers are totally forgiving about breakdowns and problems that they have on their trips. To them, it is all part of a package. To them, there is no replacement for displacement, the sound of the exhaust is to die for, the low end torque is something to write home about!

At the end of the day, all else is forgiven! Forgiven? Heck no, wrong word! Even that is part of what a good holiday should be!

And who cannot admire such a lifestyle?
But,... but, it may not be your cup of tea! As you said, each one must choose what he is looking for. The market caters for all.
Old 4th March 2009, 12:01   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Well said, Getsurya!
Good to see you in here Anup, I was wondering when the pearls of wisdom would come. Good going!!!
Old 4th March 2009, 12:05   #23
BANNED

Whoa...

Gunshots being fired in all directions.

Why does an A.S.C thread start a Safari / Scorpio battle.

Must commend on some guys maturity for starting all this.

Why cant we stop talking about the Safari, Its seen donkeys years compared to the Scorpio which has seen the daylight just recently.

Does anyone recollect when these two cars were launched?

TATA Safari - 1998
Mahindra Scorpio - 2002

Safari has stood 11 long years amidst all criticism and has emerged as a winner. Do we still need to compare the Scorp and the Safari.

I feel its not fair to compare these two cars, they are good at their individual performance and lets keep it that way.

Mods: Kindly close the thread, its leading nowhere.
Old 4th March 2009, 12:20   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Well said, Getsurya!

There is a very dedicated following for these and there are people who swear by them as being the best touring mobikes available in the country.
The Enfields come with their share of problems, but while they work, the thrill they offer is unparalleled.

Enfield lovers are totally forgiving about breakdowns and problems that they have on their trips. To them, it is all part of a package. To them, there is no replacement for displacement, the sound of the exhaust is to die for, the low end torque is something to write home about!

At the end of the day, all else is forgiven! Forgiven? Heck no, wrong word! Even that is part of what a good holiday should be!

And who cannot admire such a lifestyle?
But,... but, it may not be your cup of tea! As you said, each one must choose what he is looking for. The market caters for all.
You are NOT going to get any better advice! Very well summed up Sirjee!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyamtanu View Post
Friends,

I am planning to buy a Safari, need some critical inputs. I have read almost everything I could on TBHP in terms of ownership reports, common problems experienced etc.. that lead to some queries -

1. How is TASS in Pune? Any experiences shared will be of great help.
2. Is it a must for a new Safari to face EGR, Turbo hose, Streeing fluid hose, front suspension etc problems as I read, is there no buyer who has been spared, or it is a mixed bag of everything as is the case for majority of the cars?
3. How much does this car rattle, I prefer a silent drive.
4. How does it handle in Pune traffic,given the big turning radius.

Manny thanks in advance
Shyamtanu
Therefore Shyamtanu.

1. You are in Pune - if you cant get support there, then you will get it nowhere!
2. You have a handful who have written - and many who have not. Therefore lets not get overtly critical - think of it like an Enfield experience!
3. It WILL rattle - and it gets easily fixed too! All cars develop rattles - I am yet to see one which didn't.
4. Its just a question of getting used to the size. You will find that driving becomes comparatively easy - no one messes with the bull - everyone gives it a wide berth!

For me the icing on the cake is the Tata warranty. I have not seen anything like it! They are very responsive and do not scrounge at all. (the dealer may require a prod every now and then - but that is true for any dealer!)

To conclude - for most of the owners of the Safari, 'the experience' far outwieghs the niggles!
Old 4th March 2009, 13:36   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Good to see you in here Anup, I was wondering when the pearls of wisdom would come. Good going!!!
Thank you, Suman. I am like that only, LOL. Compulsive pearl-dropper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100 View Post
You are NOT going to get any better advice! Very well summed up Sirjee!!
Thank you, KB100! (Please see above).

I blame it on age; cannot control the compulsion at times!
Old 4th March 2009, 18:22   #26
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Guys, I do NOT want SPAM / Pointless posts or personal attacks on this forum. Keep the discussion clean and debates healthy.
Old 4th March 2009, 22:39   #27
BANNED

Shyamtanu,

To the point straight,

Would you not fall in love with a girl at the thought of "god forbid" fighting and breaking up with her in the future.

Would you shy away from marriage just at the thought of future arguments with your to be wife.

Would you shy away from living with a fear of death.

Every automobile has its share of niggles and giggles, its only because its a Safari people talk too much, dont bother about other views, this vehicle has stood tall and is sold since last 11 years. Why should it sell even today with so much of Aura and criticism around it.

Buddy go ahead buy your Safari , if your heart and head says so.

There are so many myths running around saying Safari is a trouble prone vehicle and there are no good authorised Service Centres. Tata A S C are good at what they are.

I've owned a almost Trouble Free Safari Dicor 3L since 3 yrs and i am happy that yes i've lived my childhood dreams of owning a Safari , similar feelings are shared even by my brother.

Go Reclaim your life.

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 4th March 2009 at 22:45.
Old 5th March 2009, 14:39   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Would you not fall in love with a girl at the thought of "god forbid" fighting and breaking up with her in the future.
Allow me to rephrase please.

Would you not fall in love with a beautiful girl and instead chose uglier one as life partner thinking former would be more prone to envy/ogling/breakdown/high maintenance

I feel, performance of a vehicle depends on a combination of factors like driving habits, usage(abuse), fuel quality, luck etc, etc. My Wagon-R is still running w/o any issue till date (~7 yrs/42000 Kms) while my father in law's, the horn broke within 6 months <2k and had to be replaced under warranty. I guess it was a pure luck he landed up a vehicle which had faulty horn or something external (like he washes his car everyday) damaged it. I do not think it is fair to judge a car on such incidents. May be in case of Safari, other factors being constant, you would require good luck a bit more.

Cheers,
-BJ
Old 5th March 2009, 15:48   #29
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
Allow me to rephrase please.

Would you not fall in love with a beautiful girl and instead chose uglier one as life partner thinking former would be more prone to envy/ogling/breakdown/high maintenance

I feel, performance of a vehicle depends on a combination of factors like driving habits, usage(abuse), fuel quality, luck etc, etc. My Wagon-R is still running w/o any issue till date (~7 yrs/42000 Kms) while my father in law's, the horn broke within 6 months <2k and had to be replaced under warranty. I guess it was a pure luck he landed up a vehicle which had faulty horn or something external (like he washes his car everyday) damaged it. I do not think it is fair to judge a car on such incidents. May be in case of Safari, other factors being constant, you would require good luck a bit more.

Cheers,
-BJ

Perfectly rephrased.

I believe buying a car is an individual choice. If you've made up your mind why the heck ask others.

Go for what your heart and mind says.

Rest all is luck, for any other car as a matter of fact.
Old 5th March 2009, 15:54   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post

Would you shy away from marriage just at the thought of future arguments with your to be wife.

Would you shy away from living with a fear of death.

Go Reclaim your life.
Well said Pavan, this could very well be the next Safari ad

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks