Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2009, 22:28   #1
BHPian

Buying the new MG413W HT (Gypsy King): Now bought a Bolero

Hello Bhp-ians,

A short intro, I have always wanted a jeep ever since driving around my brother's Willys in Chennai (which is beautifully restored). I've been equally in love with the Gypsy, and believe it to be the only new off roader that I can afford. The beautiful part is I'd be able to use it in the city as well. I am a motorcyclist primarily, and will only use the gypsy for some tours to the South of India and around Maharashtra, besides commuting to work in the rains. In these past months, I have been scouring the forum for any posts on gypsies, and have been blown away with the kind of information available. Khan Sultan, Dwaraka, Sha and the rest of the Gypsy owners have been great sources of information, all this without me asking a single query on any thread. I do have some queries that I'd like help with,

1. As I will use it in the city, can I get a reliable and effective aircon for the gypsy, it is the Hard Top variant that I intend to get. Can I ask the dealer itself to fit the aircon, or do I need to get it done myself. If I retro fit an after market AC, will my warranty get void?

2. In terms of maintenance and spares, what is the situation? Are spares easily available from the authorised service center, is maintenance (basic) more expensive than say the Mahindra 4x4's.

3. Are there any recommended changes for the new gypsy? (ex better seats, remove a leaf from the suspension etc) If so, can you please list some vendor details for these and any advice.

4. Has anyone here purchased the MG413W on a finance scheme, if so, can you please PM me some details as to the initial down-payment etc.

In these last few months, I've been able to speak with many people on the gypsy. People who have used it, either as their own vehicle or as a company car(tea plantations). I've observed that there are people who love it, and people who for some reason dismiss it as a usable vehicle. I do not understand why, but on further probing many of them are under the impression that it is only used by the defense or the police. Even the local dealer here did not have a gypsy for test drive, and the staff there did not know anything, just handed me a xerox copy of a brochure.
In spite of all the discouragement, the ignorance etc, I'll still find and get my MG413W, it may not be the most practical vehicle to buy, but I do not see myself behind the wheel of any other. Thanks in advance for all your ideas, thoughts and info..here's wishing my gypsy arrives asap.

Sriku
Old 2nd March 2009, 22:54   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Please search the forum and you will find that most of your queries are answered, including how to buy a new one.

If you don't mind that petrol cost more this is probably the most capable VFM SUV in the Indian market.
Old 2nd March 2009, 23:01   #3
Sha
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriku View Post

1. As I will use it in the city, can I get a reliable and effective aircon for the gypsy, it is the Hard Top variant that I intend to get. Can I ask the dealer itself to fit the aircon, or do I need to get it done myself. If I retro fit an after market AC, will my warranty get void?

If you are buying new gypsy install at MASS due to warranty, Last time i asked it was around 30k for full installation.

2. In terms of maintenance and spares, what is the situation? Are spares easily available from the authorised service center, is maintenance (basic) more expensive than say the Mahindra 4x4's.

Spares are avaliable only problems is you have to wait for parts(approx 7 days). Gypsy is maintainance free, for 40k KM you are in warranty so no problem.

3. Are there any recommended changes for the new gypsy? (ex better seats, remove a leaf from the suspension etc) If so, can you please list some vendor details for these and any advice.

First buy and then look for modifications. All related information is avaliable in Team-BHP you just need to search.

4. Has anyone here purchased the MG413W on a finance scheme, if so, can you please PM me some details as to the initial down-payment etc.

I got it through finance. current scenario its difficult to get finance for gypsy until you know somebody at higher level to get finance approved.
Sriku
You read my thread how I bought new gypsy, its 4 months I have completed 10k KM already.

All the best.
Old 2nd March 2009, 23:19   #4
BANNED

Get the A.C. retrofitted from outside.

Common spares are easily available, but others can be acquired on order, its not a problem. Maintenance is not expensive.

Big grouse with the vehicle is that its ride due to leaf springs is bad on good roads too.

NOTE FROM Team-BHP Suport: Please stick to the topic being discussed

Thanks
!

Last edited by khan_sultan : 8th March 2009 at 20:39. Reason: going ot
bhp1 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 2nd March 2009, 23:46   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sha View Post
You read my thread how I bought new gypsy, its 4 months I have completed 10k KM already.

All the best.
Thanks for the info Sir. I have read your thread, and am better informed now. Will post back after speaking to the dealers and bank. Much appreciated.
Sriku
Old 3rd March 2009, 13:23   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Great choice, Sriku. This thread will be of particular interest to you. Lots of info!
Old 3rd March 2009, 13:32   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Sirku, All the best and wishing you long wonderful miles in your soon to be bought Gypsy.

As Sha has mentioned, you won't need to worry too much about maintenance in the first 40K of your driving

I would also suggest that you frist buy the Gypsy, drive it for some couple of 1000's Km's, get to know the vehicle and then ONLY plan for ANY mods. (maybe except A/C)

Cheers,
Old 3rd March 2009, 13:55   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Great choice, Sriku. This thread will be of particular interest to you. Lots of info!
Thank you Sir, I've been lurking in the forum for a while, and believe I have read every thread that even mentions the word gypsy I re-read Sha/Khan/Dwaraka Sir's threads and posts multiple times, just because they write so well about the gypsy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Sirku, All the best and wishing you long wonderful miles in your soon to be bought Gypsy.

As Sha has mentioned, you won't need to worry too much about maintenance in the first 40K of your driving

I would also suggest that you frist buy the Gypsy, drive it for some couple of 1000's Km's, get to know the vehicle and then ONLY plan for ANY mods. (maybe except A/C)

Cheers,
Thank you Sir, I'll definitely get the A/C fit before delivery itself, as Sha advises. I dont want to void my warranty, and trust me, Mumbai driving without an A/C is impossible, even for a biker like me. I will get the running in done properly before any mods, and the 3 months will allow me to raise some cash to get the mods. Will update here as soon as booking is done. I plan to get the White HT.
Old 3rd March 2009, 16:20   #9
BHPian

On this past Friday, I noticed a white HT MG413W outside the octroi naka in Thane, and parked my bike near it. I spoke to 4 guys in safari suits sitting near the gypsy, all Thane Municipal Corporation staff. The driver walked up to me and asked me what I wanted. I explained my situation, and he was more than happy to let me look around/under the hood etc, and also told me the entire service history of the gypsy. It was a 2006 model, clean as can be, beautifully kept vehicle. He was talking about the reliable engine and the fact that the gypsy was unbeatable on rough terrain. He was so enthu about it, that he insisted I drive the gypsy around a bit, and when he saw I was enjoying it, he got this proud look on his face. Fantastic chap, when I offered to pay him something for his trouble, he simply refused saying that I should take the gypsy to Shirdi as soon as I buy it, get it blessed and then show it to him. According to him, and I quote "Tumhi kaalji gheu naka, hi gaadi tumhala kaahihi traas denaar nahi, tumhi fakt radiator 50000 kms la saaf karun ghya, oil level check kara, aani dar don mahine shirdi darshan ghya"
translates to:" Dont worry about a thing, this car will not give you any trouble, just clean the radiator every 50K kms, check the oil regularly and take Shirdi darshan every 2 months". Gem of a person, beautiful gypsy, very impressed. Now I cannot wait any longer, and will book the gypsy over the weekend.
Old 8th March 2009, 11:58   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriku View Post
In spite of all the discouragement, the ignorance etc, I'll still find and get my MG413W, it may not be the most practical vehicle to buy, but I do not see myself behind the wheel of any other. Thanks in advance for all your ideas, thoughts and info..here's wishing my gypsy arrives asap.
Hi Sriku,

I saw an Ad in my local newspaper today - someone is selling a Sep 2008 Gypsy King 4x4 with only 5000 KM on the odo. Might save a small chunk of cash against buying it new. Send me a PM if interested and I will forward you the Ad details.

Cheers
Teja
Old 1st July 2009, 19:09   #11
BHPian

I'd like to thank members for replying to my thread, for the information and advice, and more importantly the opportunity to gather data. Since creating this thread, I have had to re-evaluate my purchase decision, and have decided against the Gypsy as my primary car. The reasons in order of import are as below:

1. My dad did not find it easy to get into the rear seat (fold down front) and did not think the vehicle overall merited the 6.05 lakh OTR cost. I mildly disagreed with the cost point, but had to accept the facts. As a primary car, the Gypsy did not meet our needs and did not qualify for a 6 lakh INR investment.

2. Vitesse and Navneet motors in Mumbai and Thane respectively did not consider it necessary to have a demo car that I could test drive. Vitesse bluntly refused a TD and asked me if I could visit the Taloja stock yard to see a soft top ordered by another customer. I would not have been allowed to TD this vehicle either. This after a month and a half of cajoling, threatening and pleading with the sales reps. This discouraged me, but did not dissuade me from borrowing a Gypsy here, and a Gypsy there to TD and evaluate. I must say that I loved every minute of driving the King, but could not justify the purchase.

I have since purchased a Mahindra Bolero SLX DI Turbo. Which cost me around 6.5 lakh INR OTR Thane, and which I have run 1400 kms. This car is by no means a competitor to the Gypsy in terms of OTR ability and sheer road presence, but it was always the only other car I would consider. I am now saving for a used MG413W as a second car, purely to indulge my obsession with all things Gypsy. I'd like to suggest that this thread be closed by the Moderators. Thank you.

Cheers,
Old 10th July 2009, 23:39   #12
BHPian

sensible decision.
Gypsy is best as a second car.
Get an used Gypsy and customize it according to your taste in future.
Old 11th July 2009, 06:23   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

A sound & logical decision there my friend. A bolero is a capable machine to be used as a primary vehicle and very comfortable long distance cruiser also. A Gypsy as the only primary vehicle may not suit all members of the family -- especially elder folks.

Do post up on your Bolero experience and save for buying a used Gypsy.
Old 11th July 2009, 19:00   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Do post up on your Bolero experience and save for buying a used Gypsy.
I think he already has had a quite an eventful ownership experience with the Bolero or was it the Moby almost getting stolen in the first week (afair)itself
Old 12th July 2009, 08:49   #15
BHPian

Some how i feel you wont get the refinement of GYPSY in the Bolero. But Bolero will be easy on pockets due to the diesel engine. However it would be great to have a Gypsy as a second car.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks