Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2009, 11:00   #16
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi182 View Post

I don't mind the looks..In fact, 2 months ago, we did a ~2K km drive across Kinnaur in a self drive rental Innova which is what kinda triggered this idea
having said that, I don't mind the looks of the Innova...For me, practicality is the primary and only criteria but the WAF for the Innova is very low

It's unfortunate though that there really isn't a dependable cross-over south of 10L in India
since you have driven it quite a bit im sure you know what the ride over 'terrible' roads is and also that it is quite like a car to drive so it will be manageable in the city. now if practicality is your primary criteria i think the innova would be a better bet since you wont have to keep running to the service station for little niggles.
Old 3rd March 2009, 11:01   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Probably next weekend the safari will have her acid test, ride to Sangla valley
Wow! You got awesome guts, Tsk, after the ordeal you're going through Hats off. Am sure the pesky bug having being rid of, you'll fall in love all over again. I hope this is the last you see on that note.

Xylo ? No way. I'm no off-roader myself, but even a regular speed-breaker or slightly broken tarmac test your digestion even at a ginger 20-30kmph. Unless it was just the TD vehicle. Plus the vibes coming through the gear shift are crazy. I'm TDing the Grande tomorrow (crappy interiors, but a yummy discount of 50-60k on it offered even without asking!) Only - could not find a LTR for the Grande, though given the shared engine, am not too worried. I don't particularly like its looks (less unlikeable than the Innovas tho, IMO) but if it drives kinda ok, its awesome VFM if I'm forced to consider buying new. Of course, a slightly used Safari is an easy winner.

Oops - back to the original post - my longer TD of the Safari conviced me today that its easy enough to drive, cheap enough to maintain, and fun enough on any surface.
Old 3rd March 2009, 11:35   #18
BHPian

Think I need a longer TD...
Gawd, I so want this beast...
The fact that the lady loves it as well makes the whole plan easily feasible too

If not for the QC nags, I would have pulled the trigger by now
Old 3rd March 2009, 11:44   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi182 View Post
Think I need a longer TD...
Gawd, I so want this beast...
The fact that the lady loves it as well makes the whole plan easily feasible too

If not for the QC nags, I would have pulled the trigger by now
Abhi go in and pull the trigger and go for the Safari 2.2, do not worry.

The King will not let you down and start reclaiming your life, your lady also loves it what more you require.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenx View Post
Oops - back to the original post - my longer TD of the Safari conviced me today that its easy enough to drive, cheap enough to maintain, and fun enough on any surface.
Sameer no more thinking, the Safari bug is biting you hard and if you TD the Grande also you will still eye for the Safari want to bet

Last edited by gowda79 : 3rd March 2009 at 11:47.
Old 3rd March 2009, 11:46   #20
Team-BHP Support

A car is the thing of the heart. So if your heart desires, listen to it. Pull the trigger. I think there is enough expertise among TBHPians now to iron out any teething issues!
Old 3rd March 2009, 11:53   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A car is the thing of the heart. So if your heart desires, listen to it. Pull the trigger. I think there is enough expertise among TBHPians now to iron out any teething issues!
Quote:
Probably next weekend the safari will have her acid test, ride to Sangla valley
As far has TSK he is loving his vehicle and that's the only reason he is deeply getting into the vehicle to get the issues sorted out in one shot and later he will just be cruising into all sors of terrain.

See TSK said it its a love which comes from your heart for the Safari.
Old 3rd March 2009, 12:10   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
As for posts like below, unfortunately they are a dime a dozen on this forum these days. They add no value whatsoever but I guess the posters think that they are displaying a great sense of humour - anyway, the less said the better
Quote:
And ss-Traveller, your sense of humor seems pretty nasty, but I actually burst out laughing about your new ad.
Now whenever I think about safari ads I think about the endless cups of bland nescafe coffee devoured in the first floor waiting lounge of Autolinks I am already on first name basis with the mechanics and service adviser. Any more visits, and I will be hugging them like best buddies.

but as JKdas said there are a lot of happy owners of the safari 2.2
Well, some people appreciate humour, some don't.

My grouse is not specific to the Safari, and my humour is NOT directed at anyone personally, but is my way of reacting against the step-motherly treatment that Tata Motors and TASS mete out to hapless customers.

I've also been at the receiving end of poor QC, dishonouring of warranty claims, unavailablity of common spares resulting in multiple visits, and a host of other things from Tata, when I had an Indica V2. A close friend who owns a 2000 Safari refuses to take it too far away from civilization because he's been stranded a few times. But as JKDas said...
Old 3rd March 2009, 13:28   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...Now whenever I think about safari ads I think about the endless cups of bland nescafe coffee devoured in the first floor waiting lounge of Autolinks I am already on first name basis with the mechanics and service adviser. Any more visits, and I will be hugging them like best buddies...
TSK, Make sure the final bill does not include the coffee charges also!

And getting to know the whole A.S.S on first name basis is actually a good thing. You get more friends, once this ordeal is over.

Quote:
...Oops - back to the original post - my longer TD of the Safari conviced me today that its easy enough to drive, cheap enough to maintain, and fun enough on any surface.
You are brainwashed, my friend. Go get yourself a 2.2 and look no further. I do not think anything short of a overnight worldwide recall of all 2.2's for scraping will stop you!

Quote:
...I think there is enough expertise among TBHPians now to iron out any teething issues!
Actually we have more expertise on this forum on this specific vehicle than we have for any other. I do not think I might be wrong, if I say that some people in the forum know more than what few employee's in the T.A.S.S, dealing with 2.2, will know.
Old 3rd March 2009, 14:54   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
You are brainwashed, my friend. Go get yourself a 2.2 and look no further. I do not think anything short of a overnight worldwide recall of all 2.2's for scraping will stop you!
That's a little unkind, just dismissing my earnest fact finding and efforts as a brainwash. Having owned a Honda I was very worried about reliability and suchlike, to start with, and its only enough evidence (not merely opinion, but evidence from direct experience of the vehicle) that put to rest those fears and doubts. Of course, I'm kinda biased now based on all I came across, and your advice is appreciated, and will be acted upon
Old 3rd March 2009, 15:16   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That's a little unkind, just dismissing my earnest fact finding and efforts as a brainwash...
I meant that in a nice way and at no point was my post any mock at the research and effort you are going thru!

I never knew that "brainwashing" is always taken in a negative manner! Apology mate! A drinks on me when we meet next.

@Hrag - this is where I say "I told you so!"
Old 3rd March 2009, 15:27   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
I meant that in a nice way and at no point was my post any mock at the research and effort you are going thru!

I never knew that "brainwashing" is always taken in a negative manner! Apology mate! A drinks on me when we meet next.

@Hrag - this is where I say "I told you so!"
Sorry. Re-read your post, and yes, I did jump to conclusion wrt the "brainwash" a little too quick. The drinks/coffee's on me And your advice is really really taken.
Old 3rd March 2009, 17:47   #27
BHPian

@abhi: I'd say if you heart says go, then go for it!!! Niggles are part of any ownership!!! So don worry!!! I think zenx's thread covers almost all bits of the Beast!! So its upto you to decide!! If you wanna check out my car do PM me dude!!!

Regards
Ramesh
Old 3rd March 2009, 17:57   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram.west View Post
@abhi: I'd say if you heart says go, then go for it!!! Niggles are part of any ownership!!! So don worry!!! I think zenx's thread covers almost all bits of the Beast!! So its upto you to decide!! If you wanna check out my car do PM me dude!!!

Regards
Ramesh
Ram this is a nice gesture asking fellow BHPian to check your vehicle and TD and get a first hand report from the owner directly.

Abhi this is the best you can get, go for it...
Old 3rd March 2009, 19:26   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
raj: how much will a mHawk cost OTR?

Do check, Xylo too. VFM.
11.6 lakhs on road for the 2.2 VLX.
10.9 for the VLS.
a little less for the soon to be launched VLE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
Ever wondered why Safari has the lowest after sales value in that segment??

After sales value is the true reflection of reliability and expenses incurred on the used car.
ssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhh, dont spill out the beans!
Old 3rd March 2009, 19:51   #30
Senior - BHPian

Abhi pull the trigger for your dreams of Tata Safari 2.2.

There are somethings which cannot be straightened in this thread even after so many posts, i hope it is understood.

Could be infracted with the words used, but out of control needed to be used

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks