Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2009, 18:02   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
I am sure you mean it 'relatively'
Supreme reliability. Ah, the word is so apt for Toyota!
They are the benchmark, worldwide!
So what's with this 'relatively'?
Old 5th March 2009, 18:13   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Supreme reliability. Ah, the word is so apt for Toyota!
They are the benchmark, worldwide!
So what's with this 'relatively'?
No car can possibly feel new after 2 lakh kilometers in Indian conditions so thats why 'relatively'.
Old 5th March 2009, 19:08   #48
Senior - BHPian

I drove the Tavera Neo the other day, it felt quite sweet and sharp in terms of handling as well as the engine responses. To my eyes looks lot less Van-like compared to the Innova, provided, it has the right wheels, and a two-tone paint scheme. Get a test drive.
Old 5th March 2009, 19:11   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
I drove the Tavera Neo the other day, it felt quite sweet and sharp in terms of handling as well as the engine responses.
Extremely uncomfortable from a passenger seating perspective IIRC?
Old 5th March 2009, 19:15   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No car can possibly feel new after 2 lakh kilometers in Indian conditions so thats why 'relatively'.
Still some cars do feel younger then competition even at 2 lakh kms no matter where they are driven !!
Old 5th March 2009, 19:18   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Extremely uncomfortable from a passenger seating perspective IIRC?
Yes but only the white basic taxi one's. The higher end models are a lot lot sweeter in terms of ride comfort. I had the same opinion becuase I travel in my office Tavera cabs quite frequently and it broke by back everytime it went over, even a small pothole.
But still its no competition to Innova primarily because:
1) Engine performance is nowhere near Innova. The only plus is the fuel effiiciency.
2) The interiors are sad.
3) No matter how good leaf springs are they can never rival a proper suspension like in Innova.

Besides Innova looks and feels more upmarket.
Old 5th March 2009, 19:20   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashthedivx View Post
Still some cars do feel younger then competition even at 2 lakh kms no matter where they are driven !!
Yes precisely the reason i said 'relative'
Old 5th March 2009, 19:25   #53
Senior - BHPian

A intresting thread indeed. I might too be in such state exactly a year after, for me head says Innova but heart says Safari.

I can take any level of pain just to maintain my desire (read safari), can visit service center numbers of times, can eat up tata offcial head from bottom to top but i'll never want to be in a fix when i found myself along with my family in middle of road and trying to get in touch with service advsior/manager for some sort of part failure or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaxy View Post
Abhi, forget about the Tata safari 2.2.

IMO someone who wants to buy a safari wont think so much - They go straight to a TATA dealer, TD the safari and then just book it. I have seen some people who bought other SUVs and they still seem to miss owning the safari. For just 10 lacs i am not sure which SUV can deliver so much bang for the buck.
With due regards pardon me, but picking up a vehicle ain't something one should listen to heart all the way. One should go through all pros and cons before picking up one, rather then just listening of heart or head.
Old 5th March 2009, 19:33   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes but only the white basic taxi one's. The higher end models are a lot lot sweeter in terms of ride comfort. I had the same opinion becuase I travel in my office Tavera cabs quite frequently and it broke by back everytime it went over, even a small pothole.
How does that work? I don't think they have different technology for the higher end models. I've been in a privately owned vehicle & found the seats to be very uncomfortable (don't remember the Variant though).
Old 5th March 2009, 19:40   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
How does that work? I don't think they have different technology for the higher end models. I've been in a privately owned vehicle & found the seats to be very uncomfortable (don't remember the Variant though).
The only reason for that would the noise insulation and the lesser no of leaf's at the back. The lower end models are designed to be load luggers keeping in mind that at any point of time there would atleast be 4-5 people in the car and can go as high as 14!
For your height the seats would be uncomfortable.
Old 5th March 2009, 19:40   #56
BHPian

Quote:

IMO someone who wants to buy a safari wont think so much - They go straight to a TATA dealer, TD the safari and then just book it. I have seen some people who bought other SUVs and they still seem to miss owning the safari. For just 10 lacs i am not sure which SUV can deliver so much bang for the buck.
If I were to listen to my head alone, I wouldn't really even be thinking of getting a new vehicle as my current needs are being served pretty well by my existing cars.. The Corsa's has held up surprisingly well despite its age and it doesn't bleed my heart when driving it on bad roads (albeit slow) since it's not really a spanking new car anymore

As for just following the heart, I'd have probably got myself a MM540 or a Gypsy instead

Last edited by abhi182 : 5th March 2009 at 19:43.
Old 5th March 2009, 19:47   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

For your height the seats would be uncomfortable.
I do not think this is a matter of physique, but somehow the cushion support in Tavera and Bench like seat seems to be culprit to me. I know a guy who extra cushioned the Tavera seats and seating was very much different indeed (in +ve manner)
Old 5th March 2009, 19:59   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi182 View Post
If I were to listen to my head alone, I wouldn't really even be thinking of getting a new vehicle as my current needs are being served pretty well by my existing cars.. The Corsa's has held up surprisingly well despite its age and it doesn't bleed my heart when driving it on bad roads (albeit slow) since it's not really a spanking new car anymore

As for just following the heart, I'd have probably got myself a MM540 or a Gypsy instead
Bingo - am in the same boat myself - with the OHC doing just great for most usage.
Old 5th March 2009, 20:06   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenx View Post
Bingo - am in the same boat myself - with the OHC doing just great for most usage.
"most usage" leaves a whole new spectrum that might be waiting there to be reclaimed!
It's not the gunner, it's the gun that matters, LOL!
Old 5th March 2009, 20:08   #60
BHPian

Quote:

Unfortunately, there's not a single vehicle that perfectly serves all my needs within my limited budget so I need to compromise somewhere... All I am trying to understand is how big would the compromises be with the Safari

To tell you the truth, I'd have got one already, but two things that I haven't been able to get a clear picture of:

A) In over 150K kms of driving over the last 5 years, I have had two instances of panic braking... once at 120km/h on the Corsa when a cow suddenly darted across the highway...even though the wheels locked, a quick lift and pump back worked wonders and the car never lost its line.

the other at 80 kmph in the city on the swift when 3 vehicles in front of me had minor pile up when the guy in front braked for an erring cyclist..the vehicle stopped an inch or so before the guy in front with the wheels just about to lock up
In neither case was there any stability issue..but both, especially the first instance was scary enough

Having driven an Innova on a long road trip, I understand the limitations with SUVs in such scenarios, but I have personally seen two Scorpios flip over under similar circumstances (no flaming from the Scorpio lovers plz, I am just recounting what I have seen in person..Was it attributable to driver error, maybe..but I am absolutely not taking any chances on that front

I do not intend to driver at speeds over 110, max 120 ..that too on perfect tarmac highways with full straight line visibility... I usually maintain a steady 90-100 on our highways , Although I intend to test the Safari's high speed braking capability on the (hopefully) final TD this weekend, I'd love to hear a non biased opinion on this

b) I understand Safaris tend to have teething problems, and I am willing to take a chance on that as long as it involves non -critical failures.. I can live with AC fuse failures or brakelight burnouts, but a critical failure on this highway is a possibility that scares the $hit out of me...

The common thread between A and B being this...Frankly, me & the lady love our life too much to take chances with it for the sake of following the heart and maybe I am prejudiced, but I'd absolutely not buy the scorpio since my perception tells me that it increases the probability of us being involved in a serious accident

I also know that the Innova does not fail me on that front, but the heart is a little reluctant to go grab it

However, I am unsure how the Safari fares on these fronts, and hence the dilemma

Quote:
"most usage" leaves a whole new spectrum that might be waiting there to be reclaimed!
It's not the gunner, it's the gun that matters, LOL!
Although self drive rentals fill that need to some degree

Last edited by abhi182 : 5th March 2009 at 20:11.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks