Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2009, 12:11   #16
BHPian

it all depends on the money factor. if the difference is not high then makes sense to go with a tried and tested product.
if still after the discount say the difference is more than a lakh, then i would go for a newer product .if you want to do some modifications, this makes sense otherwise the same mods on the innova will increase the difference :-)
Old 5th March 2009, 16:42   #17
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Of course the Innova! The 1 lakh discount will trim the difference out to marginal levels. And whether a pre-facelift version or post, the Innova is miles ahead of the Xylo.
Old 5th March 2009, 16:57   #18
BHPian

if you have got enough vitamin M i would suggest the INNOVA, its any day better than a XYLO. The facelift version of innova looks nice. Go for it buddy.
Old 5th March 2009, 17:25   #19
Senior - BHPian

I don't think its that simple

I reckon even with the 1 Lac discount, Innova will be about 30k more expensive than Xylo E-8.

Pros of buying Xylo
  1. Cheaper than Innova
  2. Lower overall ownership cost.
  3. Can be abused as much as you want and can get it fixed by any roadside mechanic if stranded in the middle of nowhere.
  4. Slightly higher BHP and torque
  5. It being a new car and you being the first lot of customers, you can expect some good treatment from M&M
  6. Extensive service network.
  7. Lotsa gizmos
Pros of Innova
  1. Quality, Quality, Quality
  2. Reliability, reliability, reliability
  3. Better looking of the two ( Don't know whether this really matters)
  4. High resale value, but most M&M vehicles also enjoy that.
If I was in your place, (MIGHT SOUND STRANGE) I'll go with the XYLO as I have seen M&M respond very promptly and efficiently to customer issues and going all out to provide customer delight. Don't know about Toyota so can't comment.

Last edited by MileCruncher : 5th March 2009 at 17:26.
Old 5th March 2009, 19:13   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
I reckon even with the 1 Lac discount, Innova will be about 30k more expensive than Xylo E-8.

Pros of buying Xylo
  1. Cheaper than Innova
  2. Lower overall ownership cost.
  3. Can be abused as much as you want and can get it fixed by any roadside mechanic if stranded in the middle of nowhere.
  4. Slightly higher BHP and torque
  5. It being a new car and you being the first lot of customers, you can expect some good treatment from M&M
  6. Extensive service network.
  7. Lotsa gizmos
Pros of Innova
  1. Quality, Quality, Quality
  2. Reliability, reliability, reliability
  3. Better looking of the two ( Don't know whether this really matters)
  4. High resale value, but most M&M vehicles also enjoy that.
If I was in your place, (MIGHT SOUND STRANGE) I'll go with the XYLO as I have seen M&M respond very promptly and efficiently to customer issues and going all out to provide customer delight. Don't know about Toyota so can't comment.
Toyota too respond and that too very quick. Moreover overall exp what I have so far with sales and service was good, with some intial hicups, but that sorted out very fast.

Morover for Innova you need to not go for road side mechanic

Only thing I can say right now for this. If you have travel place with full seat utilization then go for innova, but if you want to use it just two rows most of the time then Xylo.
Other one but most important, if someone in your family has motion sickness issue, then go for Innova not Xylo.

I think I made it pretty simple and clear. Rest money factor I know you will be able to handle 30K up and down will not matter much.
Old 5th March 2009, 20:19   #21
BHPian

Wow! Thanks for the replies folks. Just spoke to BIL and the model offered is Innova D2. Discount is close to 1,20,000. And the sales person said he can straightaway take us to the yard and we can note down the chassis/engine number if we wanted. Looks genuine to me.
Any known problems in the Xylo apart from the quality issues? We won't be missing ABS and Airbags either ways, since the Xylo doesn't have them.
Old 5th March 2009, 21:42   #22
Senior - BHPian

Vivek just go with the Innova the engine and the quality of service very good added to that now you are getting 1,20,000/- discount.

The facelift Innova does give an advantage in looks side compared to Xylo.

Enjoy dude with the innova
Old 5th March 2009, 22:00   #23
Senior - BHPian

Innova all the way! As I was concluding nothing could look worse than the Innova, Mahindra launched the Xylo! Innova is ahead of the Xylo in ALL departments - save a few gismos. So Xylo for the gizmos - and Innova for everything else!
Old 5th March 2009, 23:23   #24
Senior - BHPian

i wont go with the innova since they are offering the older model. i know the only changes are lights, grille & bumpers but i would not like to buy a new "old" vehicle.

also, what everybody is missing here is ownership costs. toyota spares & service are much more expensive than mahindra. its true that mahindras are not extremely reliable like toyota but they rarely give major issues. the amount of money you spend on these issues would be still lesser than toyota's general service costs!

buddy, i assume your BIL is on a budget of 8-9 lakhs since initially he booked the xylo & not innova. so he may get the older innova for that much money but then he cannot avoid the huge service bills.

but if ride comfort & reliabilty is his top priority, look at nothing else than the innova.
Old 5th March 2009, 23:25   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
he cannot avoid the huge service bills.
what? when? where?
Old 5th March 2009, 23:31   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
what? when? where?
what = innova
when = now
where = mumbai !!!

dude, even you are from mumbai & you have a innova (Pete'd one!), dont you feel its service on the expensive side? maybe i am comparing it to TATA & Mahindra!

one thing i forgot to mention was- even if toyota charges a premium, its service standards are outstanding. i have had no issues with the toyota A.S.S. till now. cant say the same about mahindra A.S.S. though. even though they are improving, they can never reach upto toyota levels.
Old 6th March 2009, 10:25   #27
Team-BHP Support

For as long as I have been on the forum, I have never heard of anyone complain of huge servicing bills for an Innova. And had that been the case, it would not have been popular amongst the cabbies.
Old 6th March 2009, 11:13   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

dude, even you are from mumbai & you have a innova (Pete'd one!), dont you feel its service on the expensive side? maybe i am comparing it to TATA & Mahindra!

one thing i forgot to mention was- even if toyota charges a premium, its service standards are outstanding. i have had no issues with the toyota A.S.S. till now. cant say the same about mahindra A.S.S. though. even though they are improving, they can never reach upto toyota levels.
the parts are slightly more expensive than the rivals and the normal parts that are changed regularly like air filter and fuel filter are barely 100rs more than say the scorpio or the safari. then again the toyota is much more reliable.
Old 6th March 2009, 12:13   #29
BHPian

Quote:
toyota spares & service are much more expensive than mahindra.
As far as I heard from people in my office owning Scorpio and Innova, Scorpio spares and service are more expensive than the Innova. Both have completed their free services and the Innova guy says he pays ~1000 for a service and the Scorpio guy says he paid ~2500 for his last service (nothing special done during the service - regular stuff like oil change etc).
Old 6th March 2009, 14:30   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivek.Martin View Post
Wow! Thanks for the replies folks. Just spoke to BIL and the model offered is Innova D2. Discount is close to 1,20,000. And the sales person said he can straightaway take us to the yard and we can note down the chassis/engine number if we wanted. Looks genuine to me.
Any known problems in the Xylo apart from the quality issues? We won't be missing ABS and Airbags either ways, since the Xylo doesn't have them.
Sorry, I did'nt quite understand what the dilemma is.
Let me see if I understand you correctly.

You're getting a 2009 model Brand New Innova with the old look at a discount of Rs.120000/- which makes it a wee bit more expensive than a Xylo. Both vehicles are without ABS and Airbags.
And you're confused as to which of these two to buy?

If I got your question correct, then theres no dilemma at all.
Its the Innova all the way. No two ways about it.
Comfortable ride, good aftersales n service, excellent engine and very refined vehicle, good resale value. Thats the Innova for you.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks