Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2005, 15:36   #16
Senior - BHPian

Thanks guys for the feedback!

Here's an update. Visited Nippon Toyota this morning and their sales staff were very courteous. Unfortunately the test cars are spread across their different showrooms and the only one I could test drive right then was the BASE model (E ?). Considering this is the model doesnt come with power steering or power ANYTHING (only 'accessory' is the a/c) I had a pretty good drive and I was VERY impressed with the vehicle - it feels just right. The power is spot on, it sits nicely on the road, takes the rough roads pretty well, brakes in a straight line, is pretty silent and very roomy. NOthing to complain about except for the looks - I didnt like it, but then the vehicle more than makes up for the odd look.

Now here's the problem - the 'E' version is the only one that is available immediately. G2, G3 and V have waiting periods of upto 3 months (4 in the case of V). There were plenty of 'E's lying around in their yard, so I suppose someone got their math terribly wrong and produced more of the version that sold the least.

However, I like the vehicle, its a Toyota and it comes with a 3 year, 100,000 kms manufacturer's warranty for the whole car.

Now the Scorpio - there's something very 'iffy' about it, the great engine notwithstanding. Somehow doesnt feel quite as well put together. However, a Scorpio with similar features as a G2 would work out to about 2 lakhs cheaper...plus it looks marginally better.

As for the other suggestions - I am not considering cars, or else the Elantra CRDi would've been a logical choice. Octy was out as I've seen my cousin's astronomical service bills.

Tavera / Qualis - NO, because I will be driving it around quite a lot when I'm around so it has to be a personal vehicle and not a taxi.

At the end of the day, I'm in a bit of a fix with no vehicle readily available (TVS didnt have a test Scorpio and availability could be 2 weeks but I wont be around then) and add to it my son's sudden sentimental love for the Accent now that he realised that it was going away (he thought we were going to keep two cars here, HA!)

Now if only Tata announced the CRDi Safari...there wouldnt be any doubts on what I would buy.

Will update later.
Old 11th May 2005, 15:47   #17
BHPian

You might also want to consider the Scorpio CRDE..
Old 11th May 2005, 16:43   #18
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I had a pretty good drive and I was VERY impressed with the vehicle - it feels just right. The power is spot on, it sits nicely on the road, takes the rough roads pretty well, brakes in a straight line, is pretty silent and very roomy. NOthing to complain about except for the looks - I didnt like it, but then the vehicle more than makes up for the odd look.
Exactly my thoughts after an extended drive. The Innova is a university in Engineering for Mahindra and Tata.

Stick with the Toyota. Ask about premium payments for fast delivery.

GTO
Old 11th May 2005, 19:46   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
Stick with the Toyota. Ask about premium payments for fast delivery.

GTO
Yeah mate. I've put down the booking deposit for G3, dark blue but asked them to take off the body coloured bumpers and replace them with matt black in exchange for alloy wheels from the 'V' and some extra cash.

Delivery tentatively in July/August - never had to wait that long for a vehicle, but it doesnt make a huge diff since I'm not around. They've assured me a re-allocation if someone ahead of me cancels - makes you feel like you're booking a seat on a Cochin-Dubai flight...

All things considered I think its been a sensible decision simply because the vehicle feels just right.
Old 11th May 2005, 19:48   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man23ish
You might also want to consider the Scorpio CRDE..
Scorpio CRDe production has almost entirely been diverted to the Metros where the Euro3 Norms are compulsory. Therefore we poor sods will have to wait for 2-3 months before a CRDe is delivered. Mightg as well wait for the better car...
Old 11th May 2005, 22:42   #21
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yeah mate. I've put down the booking deposit for G3,
Wow, that was some quick decision making. And a sensible one too.

Congratulations - Hope your delivery is earlier than expected.

GTO
Old 11th May 2005, 22:47   #22
Senior - BHPian

hey Steeroid
congrats on your purchase.will be waiting for some pics and a report.

Rev
Old 12th May 2005, 14:51   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
Wow, that was some quick decision making. And a sensible one too.

Congratulations - Hope your delivery is earlier than expected.

GTO
TY. It had to be a quick one with very little time to spare for all the stuff that needs to be done at home during every short visit.

I had read good things bout the Innova, the test drive only confirmed whatever was written about it. This is unlike other cars that have flattered on paper only to deceive on the road (before people jump to conclusions, NO it wasnt the Accent which delivered much more than it was berated in the press). Will be sad to see it go.

Most Viewed