Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2009, 18:11   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post

Mmmm.... am not sure if the same person needs to be the owner of both the vehicles. I reckon it is just the 'vehicles' NCB, so I believe it should be possible.

No. The NCB is issued in the name of owner. It is NOT transferable. NCB certificate is valid for 3 years from the date of issue. Please refer Insurance thread (search t-bhp) for more details.

I had to get Safari in my wife's name due to this. Because, our present Wagon-R too is in her name, the NCB for Wagon-R was issued in my wife's name and hence, Safari too had to be registered in her name.

-BJ
Old 6th April 2009, 18:33   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sen2009 View Post
..... Bull bar idea is cancelled. I am ready to take as many scratches as it takes to reduce even one percent risk to a pedestrians life. .....
may your tribe increase.

OTOH, this morning on the Marathahalli bridge (a particularly nasty junction in Bangalore on workdays), an auto chose to, as very usual, take a sudden sharp right turn just in front of a safari. Got rear-ended with some bent metal, but the smallish fiber bullbar saved the safari's bumper, paint etc. (didn't hang around to see the end of the argument)

So, there's a minor flipside to no bullbar. Very minor.
Old 6th April 2009, 19:20   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Vehicle has to be in the same person's name. You are transferring the person's ability to drive well, not the vehicle's insurance value.
Old 7th April 2009, 10:50   #19
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the purchase.

Even I am in the list of hopefuls to buy an SUV soon, Scorpio (as of now)

However I am very clear on one stuff, doesnt matter what, I will put bull bars on my car at front and back, as the bikers and autos donot understand space management and squeeze in thinking they can get away, however its this bullbar which will help the car bumper safe from scratches for a few years + Butchy Looks

A new bumper for Scorpio costs 5k plus, and needless to say, it looks very dirty if it has scratches. As it is am not sure, how will having a bullbar be risky for pedestrians if you keep safe distance (and they keep the same from you).

During crash, how does it hamper crumple zone ? I think it is the first one to take an impact. Please help

Last edited by tanwaramit : 7th April 2009 at 11:02.
Old 7th April 2009, 11:31   #20
BHPian

Congrats on the purchase.First i thought the thread titile was "Mountain Goat Safari" then after looking carefully,i knew it was the color you were saying.

Regarding all your queries,you got all of them answered by our fellow bhpians.right??

IMHO the bull bar will not be a good idea.But as its your car and you can do whatever it is good for your car,the last decision is yours.

@ tanwaramit While during the crash, the job of the crumble zones are to absorb the impact and transfer it to the other parts without affecting the persons travelling inside the car.
But when a bull bar comes infront of the crumble zones,the impact will be first on the bull bar rather on the crumble zones and they will not be able to perform what they must do to avoid any injuries to pedestrains(if any) and occupants inside the car.

Hope you got the idea.
Old 7th April 2009, 11:52   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jithudigitised View Post
@ tanwaramit While during the crash, the job of the crumble zones are to absorb the impact and transfer it to the other parts without affecting the persons travelling inside the car.
But when a bull bar comes infront of the crumble zones,the impact will be first on the bull bar rather on the crumble zones and they will not be able to perform what they must do to avoid any injuries to pedestrains(if any) and occupants inside the car.

Hope you got the idea.
Right.

However my take, what are the chances that you are going to meet an accident ? (given the fact one is taking a vehicle without airbags ,not in this case of Safari though)

Compare this with, what are the chances that bikers, autos, cabbies will brush you on your daily drive ?

Some stats on your driving style will help you realise what is best for you.

Dont assume, I am pushing my idea on you.

Its my idea and its for my car, nothing more. All are free to have their own thoughts

When is the delivery for the car ?
Old 7th April 2009, 11:56   #22
BHPian

yes man.thats the exact case.its your car and you can do whatever you feel is good for your car.After all, you are one to be satisfied.right??

Regarding the delivery his first post says is 4 weeks.
Old 7th April 2009, 12:05   #23
Senior - BHPian

... and thanks guys for clarify that information that the vehicle owners have to be the same incase a transfer of NCB is required.
Old 7th April 2009, 12:35   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
Right.

However my take, what are the chances that you are going to meet an accident ? (given the fact one is taking a vehicle without airbags ,not in this case of Safari though)

Compare this with, what are the chances that bikers, autos, cabbies will brush you on your daily drive ?
The front bull bar on safari is of no use. I had a bull bar on my safari which was given by the dealer. One day i hit a ford ikon rear in stop an go traffic. You might think that would have saved my safari from a scratch? wrong !!

The bullbar is hinged very awkwardly on the safari which bends inwards even for a small impact (like above)

Result?? - The bull bar bent inwards and scratched the bumper badly. In a slightly bigger impact situation you can imagine very bad damage to the bonnet etc.

What happened to the ikon - Nothing

Infact the safari's bumper is quite rigid compared to most cars.
Old 7th April 2009, 13:55   #25
Senior - BHPian

@ sen > congrats on geting a Safari 4x4.

You can get a hefty discount on Insurance if you negotiate.

If you intend to offroad its best you avoid bulbars. Your approach ange & departure angles will be greatly hampered. Besides, the vx comes with abs. In the event of a collosion the sensors behind your bunper sense the impact and activate you airbags. A bullbar may hamper their function.

The 2.2 is quite capable an engine. Any more power than what it has is not very safe to handle except in a straight line.

One thing you may add to the PDI list. Do check the stepney tyre inside the cover. Mine was delivered with a bulge.
4 weeks is too long. I am surprised that Wasan cant deliver earlier.
What else, welcome to the club.
Old 7th April 2009, 21:15   #26
BHPian

Update on Tyre Change

Hey Guys...
Thanks a lot for the active participation. I am surely becoming one hell of an informed customer, and my sales guy is facing the heat!

I checked out with a number of tyre dealers in Mumbai. Mostly over phone and visited one in Mulund (w) (Tyrex in Savodaya Nagar, near Mehul Cinema Circle). THe Mulund guy so far seemed most knowledgeable, stocks everything and offering best buy back value.
His deal is as following -

Buyback on Bridgestone H/T - Rs. 5000/- a piece (Condition: Odometer less than 100KM)

Price for 235/70 R16:

1. Michellin LTX - Rs. 6575/- a piece. (My expense - Rs. 7875/-)
2. Geolander AT/S - Rs. 6150/- a piece. (My Expense - Rs. 5750/-)

He says Michellin is made of a softer compound, hence will provide better grip on highways and wet conditions. Plus it will be more comfortable to ride. Geolander is much harder and hence will not be as comfortable.
However, Michellin will wear out sooner in case of frequent usage over rough rocky terrain.
I told him my usage pattern, and he suggested Michellin. He also said that Michellin being the softer one will perform better on mud and snow.

As such, I don't mind the price difference. I request the gurus to give me some guidance on this. Which one should I buy?

The tyre guy also advised me against upgrading to 255 size tyres. His reasons are - Tyre scraping inside wall and heavier steering.
Plus he says the wider look depends more on the tire tread pattern and not so much on the size itself. How much wider can the tire look for just an extra width of 2 centimetres! I think his reasoning is correct.

The next big issue with my wife's taste!
After the Glove box, now she is after the faux wood finish. "She doesn;t like it!" Man!
How do married people buy stuff?!

Is there any way I can stick some later of plastic panels on the wood finished areas. I think the panels used in LX version, the gray ones will do fine. The sales guy has no clue and said he never had handled any such request. I need to source this after market. If anyone has any lead on this, please pass on!

@jithudigitised
I agree with your reasoning. As such I think I will take a few scratches and dents to avoid any big mishap. In my opinion, accidents are purely chance driven and the best of logical reasoning cannot avoid them. Hence better have safety measures assuming it may happen.
In fact I decided for the VX for the sole reason that it comes with ABS and Airbags. In case of full frontal collision, Airbags may make the difference between life and death.

@jaysmokesleaves

Hey dude! Thanks!
I will try to negotiate the insurance for sure. But, I guess I cannot change my service provider as only one insurance company will have a tie up with Wasan Motors or probably Tata Motors network for cashless or speedy claim settlement. I shall speak to my sales guy about this tomorrow and clarify.
I have added your suggession on my PDI checklist. This is even more important as I will be upgrading the tyres. In case they pass me a defective one my whole plan will go for a toss.

All in all, my wait for the car though quite long, is becoming very informative and enjoyable with Team-Bhp.
Old 8th April 2009, 10:44   #27
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
This is a car I wanted to purchase since its launch. A decade passed and now I am actually going to realize my dream. Great feeling! Isn't it?
I know what it's like to wait and slowly build a budget for that car of your dreams (am currently in wait mode myself ); this long period will only make you relish your possession more! Congratulations on the 4x4.

1. Ensure that you have referred to our pre-delivery inspection checklist.

2. Don't consider an after-market tuning box for the Safari. Period. The 2.2 engine is fantastic in stock form itself.

3. Aftermarket bull bars can cause more harm than good. Avoid.

Quote:
Buyback on Bridgestone H/T - Rs. 5000/- a piece (Condition: Odometer less than 100KM)

Price for 235/70 R16:

1. Michellin LTX - Rs. 6575/- a piece. (My expense - Rs. 7875/-)
4. Sounds like a deal. I use Michelin LTX' on my offroader and can personally attest for their long-term durability and abuse-friendly nature.

5. Extended warranty is a must for the Safari. Do not keep this for later.

Look forward to your ownership report + pics.
Old 8th April 2009, 13:14   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The next big issue with my wife's taste!
After the Glove box, now she is after the faux wood finish. "She doesn;t like it!" Man!
How do married people buy stuff?!

Is there any way I can stick some later of plastic panels on the wood finished areas. I think the panels used in LX version, the gray ones will do fine. The sales guy has no clue and said he never had handled any such request. I need to source this after market. If anyone has any lead on this, please pass on!
The best way is to stick some stickers on the wooden finish and that is gone instead of putting a grey finish of LX version
Old 8th April 2009, 19:07   #29
BHPian

Tyres Decided

@GTO

I understand from my various readings in the 4x4 threads, that your Classic is kind of a benchmark in off-roading capabilities.
So, I am finalizing the Michellin LTX 235/70 R16 following your recommendation.

@Gowda
As such I too would want to buy some stickers for covering the wood finish. But a custom made sticker may not be of very good fit or finish. That in turn may further reduce the already "not so good" fit and finish of safari interior.

That's why I was thinking of the LX grey panels as they are already the size and consistent with the fit and finish of the rest of the interior.

However, I have identified a quite talented mochi around Thane (Mumbai Suburb) area. Lets see if he can make something good ifI supply him the leather.
I think fabricating plastic panels will be greater headache!
Old 8th April 2009, 23:01   #30
BHPian

May be you could get grey panels from car accessory shops since they will be having them, if some one comes for an head unit change.Do check with them.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks