Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2009, 15:41   #1

1959 Willys - Is Matador diesel suitable?

hey guys - i have 3 willys jeeps and having trouble with the classic of them all - a 1959 model one whcih laid in my house unused for 8 years as I work abroad - I need to replace the engine (low cost ) and found one - Matador and a 4 speed gear box for 12,000.

Is this a sound option? My other 2 willys have peugeot. Any suggestions guys.
Old 8th April 2009, 16:20   #2
Senior - BHPian

Firstly welcome to te Forum Jenz. Great to know you have 3 Jeeps. Could you post pics and info of your Jeeps please.
While you are at it may i suggest you go through the board rules to get yourself acquainted of the Forum's ways.

A diesel why why would you even consider that unless the Jeeps already missing the engine.

If you still are persistent to change the engine, i would be interested in the original petrol engine.
Old 8th April 2009, 16:23   #3
Senior - BHPian

Does it still have the original petrol engine? If so, any plans for sale?
Old 8th April 2009, 16:27   #4
Senior - BHPian

Too late JayD: Beat you to it.
Old 8th April 2009, 18:00   #5
Senior - BHPian

Is the matador engine same as the one which came in the W123 240D?

If yes, will it perform better than the stock willy's engine.

----

How about auctioning off your old engine

Raj.
Old 9th April 2009, 13:11   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Firstly welcome to te Forum Jenz. Great to know you have 3 Jeeps. Could you post pics and info of your Jeeps please.
While you are at it may i suggest you go through the board rules to get yourself acquainted of the Forum's ways.

A diesel why why would you even consider that unless the Jeeps already missing the engine.

If you still are persistent to change the engine, i would be interested in the original petrol engine.
Hi guys - yeah - jeep engine is dead and rusted - water seeped inside - if you see the snaps i got from my cousin - it willbreak any jeep lovers heart.... its presently given in a garage to do full works --

I presonaly prefer a isuzu petrol engine but cant find any fast. Are you in mumbai ? Any chance you can source one from chor bazaare or any other place - my brotehr works in mumbai and can bring with him when he drives down to kerala.

How good is matador in a jeep ? I am not very good at tech stuf and most that i know are from this forum.

Will try to upload some pics of its present sad condition
Old 9th April 2009, 13:21   #7

Ok guys - the heart breaking pics follow
Attached Thumbnails
1959 Willys - Is Matador diesel suitable?-thoma-011.jpg  

1959 Willys - Is Matador diesel suitable?-thoma-015.jpg  

1959 Willys - Is Matador diesel suitable?-thoma-042.jpg  

1959 Willys - Is Matador diesel suitable?-thoma-0424r.jpg  

Old 21st May 2009, 14:35   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenz View Post
hey guys - i have 3 willys jeeps and having trouble with the classic of them all - a 1959 model one whcih laid in my house unused for 8 years as I work abroad - I need to replace the engine (low cost ) and found one - Matador and a 4 speed gear box for 12,000.

hello jenz,

do you want to keep 4x4 ?
if yes , then look in 4x4 section of t-bhp.

or ask DHABHAR BEHRAM sir or U.B.Singh they will happily help you .

Last edited by jeepster : 21st May 2009 at 14:36.
Old 23rd May 2009, 20:52   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenz View Post

The Matador OM 616 diesel was fitted to many jeeps and even Ambassadors earlier. The Perkins P4 too was a perfect fit.The Mahindra MD 2350 is also quite OK. The problem with many of these diesels is that they intrude into the front passenger compartment at the centre before the gear lever. Hence body alteration may also be needed to slice off the body below the dash and allow the engine to intrude and then weld sheets to cover up. I am not aware as to whether you had to do such body alteration for the Peugeot diesels.
Old 3rd December 2009, 11:42   #10
BHPian

I have been off the net for a long time, but I think the matador engine is quiet harsh on your gear box.
Old 6th December 2009, 00:27   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
I have been off the net for a long time, but I think the matador engine is quiet harsh on your gear box.
As much as I understood, he has sourced the entire drive train (engine + Transmission) of the Matador. Am a layman at this but wouldn't the transfer case also need to be changed as they would have gear ratios suitable to petrol engine. If the vehicle is not going to used regularly, I would think a decent petrol engine would be the way to go.

Also I know people here in Hyderabad having the Series 40 Toyota LC have fitted the Qualis 75 Bhp diesel engine
Old 6th December 2009, 07:54   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
As much as I understood, he has sourced the entire drive train (engine + Transmission) of the Matador. Am a layman at this but wouldn't the transfer case also need to be changed as they would have gear ratios suitable to petrol engine. If the vehicle is not going to used regularly, I would think a decent petrol engine would be the way to go.

Also I know people here in Hyderabad having the Series 40 Toyota LC have fitted the Qualis 75 Bhp diesel engine

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks