Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2009, 11:49   #1
BHPian

Need Help on Used Tata Safari - urgent please.

I have come across a used safari 2.2 VTT 4*4 VX - pearl white , company registered, owned by a builder , registered in name of Wasan Motors - as the owner is a partner in their other business - some black white ( money) issue - visual inspection carried out - looks recently touched up- fresh and clean.. in fact so clean that it raised doubt whether freshly painted as some paint spray coat is there on the key hole on the driver side and also the door handle garnish. Test drove it is driving fine in 2 wd mode. in 4*4H mode there is a strange sound as if some chain saw is switched on near the left front wheel. 4H similar noise.

A strange hooting sound every now and then and tried all possible options switched off ac, music system one by one but still the sound is there.
There is an option in the DVD player- user menu called "Beep"- switched it off and the sound seems to have gone but not too sure.

Took it to the service centre of wasan motors at Deonar, the technician pointed out following :
1.Mechanical - engine mounts to be checked and worked upon. Steering is too off towards right and could be a wheel balancing / alignment problem.
2. Brakes and suspension look to be okay.
3. the metal strip on which the chassis and engine number metal stickers are rivetted is cracked at both ends but the lower strip seems to be fine.
4. cosmetically- leather seats- driver's specially is in horrible condition by my standards as it is cracked at many places and dirt is there in the creeks and crevices though recently, someone seems to have waxed the seats.
5. Scratches on the alloys and obviously, never did tyre roation perhaps as the stepnnae is untouched. total 15800 kms done on odo. Carpet & mats are also in most horrible condition I could imagine in a 1.5 years old car moreso because the car looked recently serviced and cleaned too well that dust / grease is not there even in the door hinges.

Car is under warranty till 15 Oct 09 . This is the first lot car ( first year insurance cover is dated 11 Oct 07 and current is comprehensive till 11 Oct 09. )Wasan motors is ready to offer extended warranty on payment basis. Approx. budget for changing carpet and mats etc. is 8000/- .
Owner quoted 8.5 lakhs ( company regd) and has offered final 8 Lakhs. He has a Pajero and a Camry and only two parkings are available for him in his society so wants to sell Safari. He has admitted that he / his driver have driven it hard on highways as well as on construction sites but no accident.

While driving felt that it lacks the punch of Mhawk while makes more noise comparatively and strange resonating sound at around 60kmp but handling and is better specially over the bumps, broken roads and speed breakers.

I have a scorpio mhawk but always wanted a safari 4*4 and here is a chance , I dont want to miss so request your inputs on the price, the repair/ maintenance that I should get done/ checked (knowing that its the first lot) and specially precautions pertaining to 4*4 to ensure that its working fine and in good shape.

Last edited by shatrughna : 15th April 2009 at 11:52.
Old 15th April 2009, 12:05   #2
Senior - BHPian

I respect your want for the truck but, whats the point if its going to be a head ache later on. Excitement is one thing and after that a chronic pain in the neck is another.
Frankly, there is a more than the parking space issue involved here. Gut feel.
If you ask me, I'd advise you to stay away from it. Put 8L somewhere else. I'm so skeptical!
Sorry if I have bogged down your spirits.
Old 15th April 2009, 12:13   #3
Team-BHP Support

8L is a bit too much for a vehicle which has not been taken care off. The owner has not bothered with alignment etc., at all, and you never know what kind of other abuse she has suffered.
Old 15th April 2009, 12:22   #4
BHPian

Thanks for your advise and caution. I was just wondering if the car is under warranty and I am getting extended warranty as well, what possibly could go wrong assuming the car has not met any major accident earlier which hopefully is not the case but what can I do/ should/must do to ensure that its not the case and then opinion on the pricing and cautions for 4*4.
Old 15th April 2009, 12:41   #5
Senior - BHPian

Too many issues to look at the truck, whether 8 lakhs or 5 - you really dont know what other issues are not apparent as the vehicle is obviously not well maintained despite being registered in a dealer's name.

Stay away.
Old 15th April 2009, 12:58   #6
Senior - BHPian

one too many negatives - STAY AWAY!
Old 15th April 2009, 13:56   #7
Senior - BHPian

8L? do you need 4x4?

if no, then add approx 50 k more and go in for a new LX.

This one sounds VERY suspicious. walk away,IMHO
Old 15th April 2009, 14:08   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatrughna View Post
I was just wondering if the car is under warranty and I am getting extended warranty as well, what possibly could go wrong assuming the car has not met any major accident earlier
Warranty/extended warranty does not cover all parts of the vehicle (I'm not sure of the specifics for a safari). You can do much better than this one for 8L.

Please look for other options and remember that buying a pre-owned vehicle takes a *lot* of patience.
Old 15th April 2009, 14:15   #9
BHPian

Thanks Steeroid, Himanshu, kb100 and tsk. Actually, I have been going through all the safari threads as most Tbhpians since day1 and while there are issues galore there are happy experiences too Suman ADC etc. I always wanted safari 4*4 and thats the reason before I picked up Scorpio I tried to get a Safari but the dealers attitude was not good and also I didnt have socrpio either so I could easily change my mind and bought scorpio. Now that I have experienced scorpio , safari still remained on my mind.
All the cautions are sounded and acknowledged. Now let me confess, I want to pick it up now - like today itself - I just needed precautions that I could take including what specific question to ask the mechanic or, what thing should i check again for signs of abuse or the parts that must be checked to assure myself that its just a case of neglect and not the case of cheating.

I believe a car is meant to be driven at least 5-10 years unless totalled as long as chassis is fine, engine and transmission beign under warrranty shouldnt be a cause of concern and papers, service records, service history could be fudged being the dealers own car but that dealer is ready for inspection from any other mechanic / dealer that should be assuring. a car is registered for 15 years and look how it can get dismissed in 1.5 years!

Please, help me with technical inspection that must be carried out and any other check that I should carry out. I have already ordered DD and small part in cash which should be ready shortly and then go to the seller/ dealer/ mechanic and run through the checks and pay if I am satisfied that my apprehensions are untrue.
Old 15th April 2009, 14:22   #10
BANNED

You should be listening to the folks above. That vehicle dosent seem right.

Get a service record and insurance claim details.

There are better deals out there. Keep looking for some more time.
Old 15th April 2009, 14:23   #11
Senior - BHPian

Take it to Concorde (not Wasan) and get a full inspection report from them. Should give you a decent idea of what all might be wrong. Check transfer case as the humming noise should come only when on 4L, not on 4H.

I think its a huge risk - this was obviously his daily runabout like an M800 since he had his Pajeros and Camrys. If I were buying an M800 I'd buy one from someone who had it as his only car and therefore cared for it, not from someone who had 3-4 other cars and therefore the M800 was on kachra duty.
Old 15th April 2009, 14:25   #12
BHPian

Do you really need a 4*4???

Well, the decision to take Safari, is always a heart's decision. But do consider the actual cost of the car.

which in your case 8+2 lacs [*** (lots of damage) & for future (its a Safari)] = 10 Lacs.

Not worth, Better go for a new 2*2 Safari.
Old 15th April 2009, 14:26   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by loving_alaap View Post
which in your case 8+2 lacs [*** (lots of damage) & for future (its a Safari)] = 10 Lacs.

Not worth, Better go for a new 2*2 Safari.
Exactly. Or a brand new 4x4 Xenon XT for less.

Makes no sense to go for this one, really.
Old 15th April 2009, 14:37   #14
Senior - BHPian

Shatrugna, if you really want a 4x4 and a Safari go with the New GX version, instead of taking chance on this vehicle.

You will have peacefull mind and 3yrs warranty when you go for a new one and you will be spending additional 2-3Lakhs.

Why do you want to run around to the service station to claim the warranty and get it repaired for this vehicle which has taken lot of abuse from previous drivers ???

Price in Mumbai - Ex-Showroom

Safari DICOR 2.2 GX - Rs. 10,93,801
Safari DICOR 2.2 EX - Rs. 991,242

Last edited by gowda79 : 15th April 2009 at 14:41.
Old 15th April 2009, 14:39   #15
BHPian

Thanks steeroid and CC to all. ( just in lighter vein). Yep, I need a 4*4 for other things I have fairly good options - a santro, a laura and a scorpio and frankly I miss and want a safari and specially after test driving it yesterday, I liked it so much. I also spoke to dealer for new GX version but waiting period is few weeks for a 4*4 version as its available on firm orders only. Moreover a saving of 5.5 lacs for 1.5 years old car is too good, rest maitenance cost I ll manage with what I ll save on depreciation if i transfer it on my company name as its company regd car.
So far 3 inputs / insights I have got
1. check insurance claim history- okay - done.
2. should be no noise in 4H. - thanks
3. take it to concorde ( other dealer) - thanks. fixed up with Fortune cars for tomorrow for detailed inspection . Owner is okay with it.

Waiting for more. thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks