Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2009, 17:18   #1
BHPian

Tata Sumo Victa GX IDI Turbo or Sumo Grande GX

Hi Team
I am in a confusion whether to buy the Sumo Victa GX IDI Turbo or Sumo Grande GX. This is for my dad. He has been using sumo dx for close to 13 years and is pretty comfortable with it. I have test driven both the victa and grande.For the kind of driving in town and estate, victa is very good. but occasional airport trips and family outings Grande seem to be a better choice and is more VFM.I have got a qoute from the dealer in our place. tomorrow I have to book it. So Team please help me decide fast.
For the Victa IDI turbo GX
  1. Ex-showroom Price - 6,58439/
  2. Insurance - 23895/
  3. Life tax - 39500/
  4. discount -22000
total- Rs.721843.

For Sumo Grande GX
  1. Ex-showroom price-763061/
  2. Insurance -26971/
  3. LT -45820
  4. Discount -22000/
Total-814452/
Since we are taking a bank loanfor SBT, the 1 lakh diff doesnt seem a immediate burden on us. The amount which is the discount,the dealer has promised to give us safari alloys wheels for that.do you think its a good deal? and more over we will be only paying the dealers the show room cost and the insurance, rest we will be doing it ourselves.They have promised us that by 29th this month they will deliver the vehicle. So is it okay for me to go ahead with the booking. Please help me decide. And are the prices ok?

Thanks
Messiah
Old 17th April 2009, 20:20   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

The Grande is a much more modern platform/drive train and if your budget accommodates it, I think you should get the Grande. I would however try to eke out a bigger discount for the Grand to bring down the price difference.
Old 17th April 2009, 21:01   #3
Senior - BHPian

If you will be using it for the Estate, then i guess you go for the Sumo Victa GX IDI.

I am not too sure about the Grande at estate where sometimes there could be no existent of roads and as you say your dad has driven Sumo for 13yrs in this condition.

You will be the right person to take the decision, as far as i am concerned if it is a City and Highway go for Grande and if it is Estate & Highway go with the Grande.

Both the vehicles are very good and comfortable to drive.
Old 17th April 2009, 21:34   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowda79 View Post
If you will be using it for the Estate, then i guess you go for the Sumo Victa GX IDI.

I am not too sure about the Grande at estate where sometimes there could be no existent of roads and as you say your dad has driven Sumo for 13yrs in this condition.

You will be the right person to take the decision, as far as i am concerned if it is a City and Highway go for Grande and if it is Estate & Highway go with the Grande.

Both the vehicles are very good and comfortable to drive.
@Gowda79
Thank you very much for your view. At first when i brought the Grande for a test drive home, dad liked it but said it was too huge, and decided that he will stick on to the sumo victa IDI turbo. So i told the sales man from the dealer to get me a Quotation so i can get it approved by my dad and the bank manager. When my dad saw the quote for the Victa ,he changed his mind. So i am really confused. He says the Grande is far better value for the money we will be paying. We will be retaining our old Sumo as well. So i guess it better we buy the Grande.

Thanks Gowda!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
The Grande is a much more modern platform/drive train and if your budget accommodates it, I think you should get the Grande. I would however try to eke out a bigger discount for the Grand to bring down the price difference.
Hi 4x4addict,
During my test drive i could notice the big difference the way the Grande rides,handles and the drivers seating,etc from the Victa. I have made up my mind for the grande as well. Dad was in double minds, Now i guess that is resolved. How much more discount should I ask. It seems that the taxi people will get benefits upto 55k, but its not for private buyers.
We have asked for the jump seats at the back to accomodate more luggage. We dont want to make the UV look ugly with luggage carriers on top.I think the safari alloys will look Good on the Grande and will have more of an authentic look than the after market alloys. I hope the RTO guys dont make a fuss over this issue.We are sticking with the tires from the company only and specified bridgestone over the JKs.
Please do guide me
Thanks

Last edited by v12 : 18th April 2009 at 00:52.
Old 17th April 2009, 23:24   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmessiah View Post
He says the Grande is far better value for the money we will be paying. We will be retaining our old Sumo as well. !
Quote:
Hi 4x4addict,
I think the safari alloys will look Good on the Grande and will have more of an authentic look than the after market alloys. I hope the RTO guys dont make a fuss over this issue.We are sticking with the tires from the company only and specified bridgestone over the JKs.
Please do guide me
Thanks
Go for the Grande if you feel it will do good at your estate and the engine used is the same engine used in the Safari 2.2, but the power has been degraded to 120bhp from 140bhp of Safari.

Bridgestone is better tyres and the alloys will look good and there will be NO problem with the RTO guys.

Just enjoy your ownership and share your pictures of your New Grande after you get the delivery.
Old 17th April 2009, 23:43   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Go for the Grande if you feel it will do good at your estate and the engine used is the same engine used in the Safari 2.2, but the power has been degraded to 120bhp from 140bhp of Safari.

Bridgestone is better tyres and the alloys will look good and there will be NO problem with the RTO guys.

Just enjoy your ownership and share your pictures of your New Grande after you get the delivery.
@gowda79
Our family had a round table discussion on this topic over dinner. Members included my dad ,mom,sis,wifey and myself. Came to a conclusion and all agreed for the Grande. We decided the color as well. It would be marine blue.
so as soon as the bank gives a green signal,hopefully tomorrow, we will book it.
Sure will update the team with the experiences with the dealer, will post pictures, etc.
Gowda sir i like the crash guard ,bumper railing(hope i got the name right technically) on your safari. How much did that cost you?
Old 18th April 2009, 10:10   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@gowda79
Our family had a round table discussion on this topic over dinner. Members included my dad ,mom,sis,wifey and myself. Came to a conclusion and all agreed for the Grande. We decided the color as well. It would be marine blue.
so as soon as the bank gives a green signal,hopefully tomorrow, we will book it.
Sure will update the team with the experiences with the dealer, will post pictures, etc.
Gowda sir i like the crash guard ,bumper railing(hope i got the name right technically) on your safari. How much did that cost you?
I did not understand what does the bumper railing mean, are you talking about the Claddings.

Coming to the Crash Guard you can go for the Carryboy, but my suggestion Sumo Grande looks great without those extra accessories.
Old 18th April 2009, 11:36   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Between the two, I would prefer the 2.2 engine in the victa. I love the Victa' styling, but find it sometimes underpowered.

Suggest your dad take a goooood comparative look at the two & decide.

But is the IDI still avlbl or is it the DI turbo ? The DI turbo's that I have seen are a step below the GX Turbo IDI that I have, esp in terms of interiors.
Old 18th April 2009, 11:54   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations. But push for a bigger discount. In my town also the dealer is advertising 22K discount, but actually offered 30K when I went for the test drive. If you pick a color that is readily available with the dealer you can definitely bargain for a bigger discount.

Also clearly mention before the booking the small things you expect as complementary - like floor-mats & mud-flaps, and get them to mention it on the booking receipt. Other-wise they will charge you for them at the time of delivery.

Cheers.
Old 18th April 2009, 15:46   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Between the two, I would prefer the 2.2 engine in the victa. I love the Victa' styling, but find it sometimes underpowered.

Suggest your dad take a goooood comparative look at the two & decide.

But is the IDI still avlbl or is it the DI turbo ? The DI turbo's that I have seen are a step below the GX Turbo IDI that I have, esp in terms of interiors.
Hi Condor,
I am not very sure of the Victa coming with the Dicor 2.2. If so it would be the best choice.
Anyways we have already asked them to go ahead with the booking and the dealers have already ordered from TATA and the delivery date is on 29th this month.
Regarding the IDI you are right about the availability. Here in Kerala they have stopped selling the IDI turbo. But In tamil Nadu it really sells well. But there are cases like were we can order it and will have to come from the company. The DI caters to the Taxi segment and sells well here.

Quote:
I did not understand what does the bumper railing mean, are you talking about the Claddings.

Coming to the Crash Guard you can go for the Carryboy, but my suggestion Sumo Grande looks great without those extra accessories.
@Gowda79
What i really meant was the bull bar(crash guard). I thought of fixing Hellas on them, will look neat with the kind of one you have on your safari.

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3LIOS View Post
Congratulations. But push for a bigger discount. In my town also the dealer is advertising 22K discount, but actually offered 30K when I went for the test drive. If you pick a color that is readily available with the dealer you can definitely bargain for a bigger discount.

Also clearly mention before the booking the small things you expect as complementary - like floor-mats & mud-flaps, and get them to mention it on the booking receipt. Other-wise they will charge you for them at the time of delivery.

Cheers.
HI H3lios,
the discount they offered us was 22k, I have asked them to put alloys for that amount. and they have promised us other freebies, but havent taken in writing. On monday i will give them a photocopy of the DD taken in their name for the Grande. Then i will ask them to write down all the freebies they are going to provide when i take delivery of the vehicle.
The color we ordered was marine blue and they didnt have this in stock and we have also asked then to give our vehicle with the side facing rear seats(jump seats) so it has to come from the company. and we are very particular about the 2009 manufacture and nothing before march.and they have agreed as well.
they had few grandes in stock which were 2008 and were willing to give a discount of 55k plus if taking for taxi purpuse they will give an additional discount of 48k. Anyways 2008 model is not our choice.
The best part is I have my cousin working as a engineer with TATA motors and he will keep track of our vehicle in transit.

Last edited by Rehaan : 19th April 2009 at 12:02. Reason: Posts merged. Please use the MULTIQUOTE button instead of making multiple consecutive posts in the same thread. Thanks.
Old 18th April 2009, 22:36   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@Gowda79
What i really meant was the bull bar(crash guard). I thought of fixing Hellas on them, will look neat with the kind of one you have on your safari.
Go ahead and those Hella's will really look good a picture for you from my collection.

Tata Sumo Victa GX IDI Turbo or Sumo Grande GX-picture-141.jpg.

Tata Sumo Victa GX IDI Turbo or Sumo Grande GX-picture-142.jpg

Last edited by gowda79 : 18th April 2009 at 22:48.
Old 20th April 2009, 18:16   #12
BHPian

I can say go for grande one having driven it on literally kacha roads in my native place where the vehicle has done 12 k without any problem in 8 months time. the pick is really good with Ac on . i say its really good apart from last row seating which is little bit bumpy

After all choice remians yours

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks