Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2009, 22:28   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Wild-life Photography = PETROL! In fact, some parks don't even allow diesel vehicles. The noise of their engines is enough to scare away the species.

The Gypsy is your best bet. Customisation options are endless for it to suit exactly the purpose.
One thing we are missing here folks. This is going to be a leased vehicle and not my own. I do not have the option of customization. I will be leasing it for 3 yrs. As is from the show room. No modifications. I assume so. I need to find out.

Rgds,
Sudhir
Old 29th May 2009, 22:54   #47
Senior - BHPian

vasudhir,
I think u must be clear about your choice now. Maximum people have voted for Gypsy.Go for it. The next choice is Bolero 4wd slx with xd 3p. All other vehicles suggested here do not suit widlife photography .
Old 29th May 2009, 22:56   #48
Senior - BHPian

And I thought people had doubts about what lens should be bght for wildlife photography .
Old 29th May 2009, 23:28   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
And I thought people had doubts about what lens should be bght for wildlife photography .
oh man!!! This quote is too good. I love it !!!

Vinod,

My choice is either Gypsy or the Bolero. I TD the Bolero SLX this afternoon. I plan to TD the VLX and Gypsy tomorrow.

Now, leaving aside 4x4, which one is better the SLX or the VLX ? I am also considering the option of Stinger (the modified VLX) as there is some space at the back to stand and photograph by placing the tripod on top (which I have done before). Not sure if the leasing company will allow that modification.

Not sure which is better (and matured technology) - The DI Turbo or the CRDe.

Now coming to the 4x4, I normally would not go out in rain/slush in forest for photography. If I have to, then I can get one from any of the resorts just for the monsoon (as it's off season and no regular tourist). But for rest of the year, from what I have seen, the 2WD is more than enough for our forest and terrain.

Thanks to all of you, I am getting there

Rgds,
Sudhir

Last edited by vasudhir : 29th May 2009 at 23:42.
Old 29th May 2009, 23:54   #50
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post
Otherwise take a JEEP and enjoy your life with it, but be careful not to make my kind of diversion after taking jeep into offroading. Confused ? ok here is the story I did searched for a SUV to take me for wildlife photography jungle trips. So rounded off to Jeeps and there I have started my journey into the jeeping world... (sadly derailed from my photography hobby, for me as of now Jeeping is more attractive than Photography today)
You are not alone, even sreerajunnithan does more offroading than photography these days I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
Wondering why Samurai has not commented on this thread yet. Would he recommend a GV?
I was away from the computer most of the time in last couple days. Saw the thread just now. Would I recommend the GV for this? Not really, it is not in his Budget anyway. Last time GV ventured into thick forest, it had to be rescued by the Gypsy.

Therefore, I suggest the soft top Gypsy. But Sudhir's photography equipment probably costs more than the Gypsy, so there has to be a way to keep it safe. I suggest bolting a big lockable metal box in the rear which can hold the camera bag and lens bag. The metal box can be removed when the vehicle is returned.

When I took my Jeep into Muthodi forest, it was my worst safari experience, the engine sound chased away every possible animal.
Old 30th May 2009, 08:38   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudhir View Post
oh man!!! This quote is too good. I love it !!!

Vinod,

My choice is either Gypsy or the Bolero. I TD the Bolero SLX this afternoon. I plan to TD the VLX and Gypsy tomorrow.

Now, leaving aside 4x4, which one is better the SLX or the VLX ? I am also considering the option of Stinger (the modified VLX) as there is some space at the back to stand and photograph by placing the tripod on top (which I have done before). Not sure if the leasing company will allow that modification.

Not sure which is better (and matured technology) - The DI Turbo or the CRDe.

Now coming to the 4x4, I normally would not go out in rain/slush in forest for photography. If I have to, then I can get one from any of the resorts just for the monsoon (as it's off season and no regular tourist). But for rest of the year, from what I have seen, the 2WD is more than enough for our forest and terrain.

Thanks to all of you, I am getting there

Rgds,
Sudhir
Sudhir, I own a VLX and believe me that its a more than competent vehicle. It is much quieter both in cabin and outside than the SLX. And driving it in the city and kicking up a storm in the face of other motorists will definitely bring a big grin in your face. I suggest you stay away from the stinger as the space at the back is neglible and a waste. You might as well buy the whole bolero.

But for your purpose when you are looking for a second vehicle with Wild Life photography as the purpose, I would also suggest going for the Gypsy. But remember that the moment you fix AC, even if its from MASS, your warranty is null and void. This was the reason I finally decided against going for the Gypsy.
Also waiting times can be anything between 25 days to 3 months. But nothing beats the raw fun of a soft top or front hard cabin Gypsy.

Last edited by MileCruncher : 30th May 2009 at 08:43.
Old 30th May 2009, 11:24   #52
BHPian

I dont think there would be a leasing option and if there is i would like to know about that!

Even the financing options for a new gypsy are pretty limited: Citibank, UTI and ICICI were charging a premium for financing the Gypsy. Finally I had to go with SBI.

Why bother: I think you should get a non-MPFI gypsy king in fantastic condn for 1.25 to 1.5 which will be more than sufficient for the next 3 years?

The Gulfstream Vitara, Ford Endeavour and even the Scorpio etc are too big to lug around in the jungle. The last time we had a Ford Endeavour and Scorpio along with us (i call them 2BHK and 1BHK respectively), they both got stuck in the muck and had to be pulled out with the Gypsies.

Last edited by COUGAR : 30th May 2009 at 11:27.
Old 30th May 2009, 17:56   #53
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

the best vehicle for such use in my opinion will always be a Petrol driven jeep like a gypsy.
the vehicle is quiet and doesnt frighten away animals.
use a diesel jeep and go to the jungle and you might as well send a brass band ahead of you!
If you have the money the GV is great for such things. Else you could use a Ford Fusion (the new one - either Petrol or Diesel) though petrol is certainly quieter. unfortunately they dont make a Fusion with AWD/ 4WD.
you can install an aftermarket sun roof in it to use for your cameratics.
there was a gypsy which was modified in this way some years ago in koramangala bangalore - owned by a wildlife enthusiast and photographer. Now if I am right he has upgraded himself to a Ford Ranger Double Cab Pickup. That particular gypsy was in an Olive drab colour with a sand beige hard top and the roof was specially modified for camera equipment etc. I think the gypsy is still hanging around here in bangalore somewhere- i ve seen it recently but cant remember where.
however, for what it is worth, consider the Fusion option with sun roof. Or buy an used Forester which is petrol driven and has all wheel drive and any way in such a vehicle a sun roof modification can easily be done.
cheers

Last edited by shankar.balan : 30th May 2009 at 17:58.
Old 30th May 2009, 21:17   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUGAR View Post
I dont think there would be a leasing option and if there is i would like to know about that!
Here you go:
http://www.aldautomotive.co.in/

Rgds,
Sudhir
Old 31st May 2009, 10:53   #55
BHPian

Go for the gypsy Sudhir, It would be a good choice. Even fellow photographer Jayanth uses it and its perfect for your equipment and ease of moving around and shooting as well.
Go for a one like this

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/111/2...67cde782_o.jpg
Old 31st May 2009, 15:52   #56
BHPian

Sudhir,

Having known the photography you do and the equipment you carry, just thought of chipping in a suggestion from my side.

Gypsy would have been an ideal choice in the forests but the drive from BLR up to the forests with all equipment would not be very comfortable (specially after you are used to zipping around in the Fusion). While shorter distances (e.g. Bandipur, Kabini, BR Hills) are more manageable, longer distances (e.g. Dandeli or Bhadra etc) would be increasingly uncomfortable if you plan to drive the gypsy. More so for fellow passengers if seated behind.

Ideally you would want to drive to your destination in your Fusion and then drive into the forests from there in a Gypsy. That however is not what you are looking at.

A single vehicle that fits the bill for you would undoubtedly be the Scorpio Getaway. If wildlife photographers don't use it, who possibly would? Undoubtedly comfortable on highways as well as capable in the forests. The rear platform allows you to setup your tripod and lenses allowing better photographing opportunities. The CRDe engine is quite silent as well.

You may want to TD one and see if it fits your bill. No customization needed here.

On a side note: JLR naturalists/drivers prefer diesel Mahindras on their safaris rather than the gypsy. I spoke to Mr. Thapa from JLR at BR Hills and he mentioned they had a solitary gypsy (that they subsequently got rid off) and no one would want to drive this in the forest. They preferred the Mahindra Jeeps instead. Even Bandipur and Kabini hardly use any gypsys for the safaris (instead they prefer Jeeps and TataMobiles respectively). Up north, with diesel vehicles not allowed inside the forest, gypsy rules. BTW, have nothing against the gypsy, in fact am a huge fan of it and still hope to buy one some day.
Old 1st June 2009, 06:46   #57
BHPian

If Petrol price is not a consideration, Gypsy is way better than diesel counterparts because on-road drive of diesel mahindra jeep's is way to noisy after 80km/hr. Also gypsy is a very nice if you use it as a secondary vehicle.
I think JLR naturalists/drivers prefer diesel Mahindras on their safaris rather than the gypsy because they are cheaper to operate, not because they are more capable or comfortable.
Old 1st June 2009, 10:36   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post
Gypsy would have been an ideal choice in the forests but the drive from BLR up to the forests with all equipment would not be very comfortable (specially after you are used to zipping around in the Fusion).
The main problem are the less than ideal driver+co-driver seats: change them into something more comfortable and the Gypsy is a whole different animal.

I drove around in a hired gypsy in chandrapur which had the regular driver seats replaced with seats from the indica and the difference in ride quality was enormous! Also the ride quality tends to be worse when there are no people or no luggage in the rear. If there are people/luggage, ride will be much better.

Another thing that u cando is make a lockable box, stowed away discretely under the front facing rear seats for your photography equipment.

Last edited by COUGAR : 1st June 2009 at 10:38.
Old 1st June 2009, 10:57   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amar82 View Post
I think JLR naturalists/drivers prefer diesel Mahindras on their safaris rather than the gypsy because they are cheaper to operate, not because they are more capable or comfortable.
Big hi-5 to this mate. Thats precisely why they moved over. Safari's on a gypsy when petrol prices were 60 bucks? You've gotta be kidding me.
Old 1st June 2009, 11:34   #60
Senior - BHPian

I doubt the veracity of diesel vehicles not being allowed into the sanctuaries up north. During my days in Swaraj Mazda way back in 2004, had sold about 30 vehicles for usage in the Ranthambore Tiger Sanctuary as Safari vehicles.

So i think diesel vehicles can definitely be used.

My 2 cents
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks