Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2009, 02:02   #1
BHPian

Buying a Tata Safari. Lx or Ex ?

Hello Team-bhpians,

I have decided to book a safari. I am in big confusion whether to go for an Lx or Ex. . I do not have budget for a Vx. So, my questions are :

1) Is 1.5 Lac rupees difference between Lx and Ex justified ?
2) Does the Lx prove insufficient air conditioning for the rear passengers ? If so, does Tata sell the Dual A/C as a separate part ?
3) Engine immobilizer not present in Lx. What difference does this make ?
4) I do not like interiors of Lx. Neither am i happy with Ex here. I want to get the console panel color/texture changed to something nice. Any suggestions on a place in Bangalore to get this done ?
5) Finally the color. I know many would insist on Black or Pearl white. But give me your choice among Red and walnut gold.

I'm eagerly waiting for your responses folks.

@MODS, Please move/merge this thread to the appropriate one if this is a duplicate of an existing one.
Old 29th June 2009, 11:49   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbeast View Post
Hello Team-bhpians,

I have decided to book a safari. I am in big confusion whether to go for an Lx or Ex. . I do not have budget for a Vx. So, my questions are :

// body color + audio + ac @ rear + immob + this and that. Well you can add most of these later.
2) Does the Lx prove insufficient air conditioning for the rear passengers ? If so, does Tata sell the Dual A/C as a separate part ?
// you will need it if you do a lot of tour on summer
//Any mahout can push you elephant away without it
4) I do not like interiors of Lx. Neither am i happy with Ex here. I want to get the console panel color/texture changed to something nice. Any suggestions on a place in Bangalore to get this done ?
// will be a tedious task to get the whole thing change to other color. If you are afraid of it getting dirty on long run, I would say you are wrong.

5) Finally the color. I know many would insist on Black or Pearl white. But give me your choice among Red and walnut gold.
//Red.

I'm eagerly waiting for your responses folks.

@MODS, Please move/merge this thread to the appropriate one if this is a duplicate of an existing one.
My inputs in bold; hope this helps.
Old 29th June 2009, 12:12   #3
BHPian

Can answer three of your questions - No - I dont think air conditioning is great for rear passengers. If you are regularly going to have rear passengers you will need better air conditioning than a stock LX.

Agree with JK on the interiors as well as the color!
Old 29th June 2009, 13:12   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. Looking at what is offered and what "can" be retro-fitted, no, it will not make sense. But then, the factory fitting will not be present. And the immobilizer cannot be fitter later!

2. Can be done.

3. Peace of mind is the difference.

4. Please dont! Too much of a mess you will get into.

5. Pearl white would be what I say from practicality, but Black is what I love. So between your choices - RED!
Old 29th June 2009, 13:31   #5
Senior - BHPian

1) For me its not very much justified unless we get EX 4x4 at same price but to each his own.

2) Yes, in peak summer like 45 deg, they might not feel very comfy but 90% of time they should be fine.

3) Depends upon your requirements.

4) Yes console panel can be changed to colors of your choice using Carbon Fibre replicas, PM steeroind about it.

5) Walnut Gold as Pearl White getting too common these days and Red is far too flashy unless the RED you are talking about is the Maroon kind of Red we used to have in Safari.

Regarding Rean AirCon, TATA dealers fit that in around 15k-20k and give warranty on that so you can go for that.

Cheers
Old 29th June 2009, 13:32   #6
BANNED

I had posted this earlier
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post1270490

On the EX vs. LX debate, the EX has features that are useful (each in its own way)

1. Height adjustable driver's seat - while I don't use this feature, some others may find it useful
2. Rear A/C - a separate unit with its own set of coils
3. Rear Defogger + Heated ORVMs - the ORVMs heat up when the rear defogger is switched on. Extremely useful in the rain.
4. Engine Immobilizer
5. Front & rear fog lamps
6. Electrically operated remote fuel flap
7. OE music system - I found this useful as it saved me the headache of buying something outside.
8. The clock on the dashboard!

The EX in the 3.0 came with gray cladding / bumpers though.
Whether you think the price difference is justified for these features or not is entirely your call.

Last edited by hrag : 29th June 2009 at 13:33.
Old 29th June 2009, 14:09   #7
Senior - BHPian

One more thing i forgot to add that a fellow member who has just now purchased a Safari LX has mentioned some updates/changes in LX.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...you-again.html

So keep watching this thread too
Old 29th June 2009, 14:13   #8
Senior - BHPian

As all said go with the EX, just for a Peace of Mind.

Coming to colour RED would look good in your selection.
Old 29th June 2009, 22:08   #9
BHPian

Thanks folks for all the responses. I have decided to go with Red Ex. I am still in the process of talking to the banks for the finance of the vehicle.

On the interiors front, I just want to change the console panel. I do not the wooden panel on Vx too. it looks very ordinary. I would be fine with the wooden panel what verna has got. Its dark wooden finish unlike the one in safari which is very light in color.

@simply_sunny001, I will get in touch with steeroid.

I want to put some seat covers too. I have g-sport art leather in mind. How is the HU which safari is offering ? And is it ergonomically placed since the HU sits at lower end of the central console. Does the HU come with remote ?
Old 29th June 2009, 22:38   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
On the interiors front, I just want to change the console panel. I do not the wooden panel on Vx too. it looks very ordinary. I would be fine with the wooden panel what verna has got. Its dark wooden finish unlike the one in safari which is very light in color.
You can also have a look at the Grey Console panel that 3.0L LX came with.

Dealership might be able to do that change very easily.
Old 30th June 2009, 14:20   #11
BHPian

Have you considered the GX variant which comes with ABS?

GX slots between EX and VX
Old 28th July 2009, 11:55   #12
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Any Update?

Red Ex is a good choise, hope it is the maroon kind of red, the other one is too flashy. If you do take the other kind of red, suggest you leave the cladding Grey. Since the discussion was LX-EX the GX or 4X4 would probably be out of range.

Suggest you leave the console as it is. Safaris do not like electrical accessories being added to it, so OEM music system , imobilizer, fog lights, defoger will ensure lesser long term issues as they are socket based and do not require a retrofit which involves cutting wires. Have learnt this the hard way.
Old 20th August 2009, 18:38   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Any Update?

I'm really sorry guys. I completely forgot about this thread and i was busy writing in other's threads. Here is an Update. Its Ex but not a red. Its pearl white. I'm sticking to the choice i made initially. It's booked with concorde and awaiting the loan approval. I think the delivery would be on this month end. I will start a new thread then. And yes, i will update it regularly.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks