Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2009, 12:07   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Given all of the above, the choice to my mind is a hard top Gypsy. Heart says soft top, but I think I may need to get at least an ounce of practicality into this.
Opening up the subject now to advice from people who know better, on - what car?!
Thank you!

sawyer - reading this makes me smile. IMO - Gypsy is definitely a good addition to your fleet as you have taken care of the city ride (Matiz) and the Highway (i20) - but with a Gypsy there is no mid-way or practical option. The ride, AC, practicality will be compromised to get the best - go anywhere ride < 7L.

I remember reading an article in Autocar about a piece they did with Landcruiser, MClass, X5, Q7 and CRV to Leh and around and the guide who knew the ways was driving ahead in a soft top gypsy - i just cant recollect the issue number. Needless to say other than the Landcruiser and Gypsy the others had some or the other limitations in crossing certain terrain. (Will try and dig the old mags this weekend to give you the reference)

So its a matter of heart not the mind. Would I buy it - No, Id prefer to go mud slinging in leather seats, with power steering and climate control :-)
Old 24th July 2009, 12:39   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUGAR View Post

I have seen softtops with an AC fitted but the issue is effectiveness: some amount of cooling is lost.

And when you got to have a gypsy you got to have one!

My advice to you will be that the Gypsy is a good SECOND or third CAR. If you already have a primary car for regular city/highway use then go for a Gypsy. And keep your expectations low. that way you wont be dissapointed!

PS: Dont go by the bull that Sai Service dishes out about 1 month delivery. I booked mine in April 2006 on the same assurance. It eventually came only in Feb 2007 and that too only after the intervention of someone within Maruti. Maruti only manufactures the Gypsy in lots based on orders mostly from the services and govt. You rorder will be taken up as part of a lot: that could be the next month or that could be a year away!
You said it right there about the desire factor. It will not be my first car, and I also hear your warning about the time it can take to obtain - you selling yours?!
Old 24th July 2009, 13:25   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zensi View Post
I remember reading an article in Autocar about a piece they did with Landcruiser, MClass, X5, Q7 and CRV to Leh and around and the guide who knew the ways was driving ahead in a soft top gypsy - i just cant recollect the issue number. Needless to say other than the Landcruiser and Gypsy the others had some or the other limitations in crossing certain terrain. (Will try and dig the old mags this weekend to give you the reference)

So its a matter of heart not the mind. Would I buy it - No, Id prefer to go mud slinging in leather seats, with power steering and climate control :-)
To be in the same company as the Landcruiser says something remarkable about a car this is less than 10% its cost. For that money saved, some sacrifices would be called for??!!
I hear your comment about the leather seats etc etc You might not think so if you had to think about hosing down those well finished seats and interiors of the mud that would inevitable trail inside of the car, if you carried dogs around. Or even people in gumboots! Or if you knew that any replacement part would have to come from overseas, and may be expensive/long lead time. Or you may not bother about these things and be the rare bird that does not keep his expensive SUV in bubble wrap!
A Gypsy on the other hand....nuff said
Old 24th July 2009, 13:39   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can't do the AC thing on a soft top right? Or can I in some way that leaves the rear seats out of the equation? Best of both worlds?
And in a soft top is there a way to have the front cabin made lockable, while having the soft top kind of environment at the back? Open as well as covered options?
Sir it is possible to have AC with soft top and ac covering only the front seats area..
Old 24th July 2009, 14:01   #20
Senior - BHPian

Can you elaborate on that please? How would you separate the car into two areas? Pic if available would be good too.
Thanks.
Old 24th July 2009, 14:05   #21
Senior - BHPian

Sir I had it in my gypsy a long time ago to improve the effective of the AC. will try and hunt for pics

Basically have a transparent screen coming down from the roof after the front 2 seats - hope you get it!
Old 24th July 2009, 14:10   #22
Sha
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Sir I had it in my gypsy a long time ago to improve the effective of the AC. will try and hunt for pics

Basically have a transparent screen coming down from the roof after the front 2 seats - hope you get it!
First let Sawyer buy new Gypsy then you post the photos, why my sixth sense say that Sir you are not going to buy new Gypsy.
Old 24th July 2009, 14:12   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Sir it is possible to have AC with soft top and ac covering only the front seats area.
Yes its doable, as you rightly mentioned a partition can be given in between to reduce the area. A nice layer of thermocoal (Soft flexible variety) can be given on the firewall and roof area to make it more efficient. I had it done way back in 90's for a friends Gypsy.

You might want to add a cooling fan circuit in front of the radiator grill if you are driving in very hot and slow conditions (typical offroad environment).
Old 24th July 2009, 14:13   #24
Senior - BHPian

Oh boy you seem to be on an Automobile Shopping Spree

I believe you have a Pajero then why do you need Gypsy? For its small Size & relativly cheaper maintenance/service?
Old 24th July 2009, 14:21   #25
BHPian

Quote:
You said it right there about the desire factor. It will not be my first car, and I also hear your warning about the time it can take to obtain -
The "desire" factor is overrated and quite a dangerous basis for taking a decision. Why because when going purely by the "desire" thing, people quickly get over it in the first month of owning one and the whining starts: itts too bumpy, its too noisy, it rattles etc etc etc.

I went for the Gypsy because a) it could take me to the forests without the kind of restrictions i would find with a diesel. Diesel vehicles are not allowed into many forests: that was the primary determinant for me since i was evaluating the Bolero sportz and the Gypsy and b) I could see myself using the car for 15 years at the very least. For me the Gypsy is a utilitarian vehicle and not a "mall basher" and when seen this way an investment like this is worth it.

Quote:
you selling yours?!
Keep dreamin baby!

PS: There was Dark blue colored soft top Gypsy for sale a year back: 97 model 1.3 King (carb). The owner is in the UK on studies but his dad shows people around. You could check that one out. This one can be seen parked in a bungalow just behind Pizza Hut on JM Road.

Last edited by COUGAR : 24th July 2009 at 14:26.
Old 24th July 2009, 15:29   #26
Senior - BHPian

Thank you, Cougar. That is a good post. For the rest, that are busy either commenting on my portfolio or for some reason trying to divine my true intentions, read all my posts here!
Old 24th July 2009, 15:58   #27
Senior - BHPian

It seems you took offence to my post, I am sorry but that was not the intention.

I hope you get what you are looking for
Old 24th July 2009, 16:16   #28
Senior - BHPian

Nope, no offence taken from your post. Here is the thing - in December, my garage was a 2004 CRV, a 2008 Pajero SFX, a 2001 Palio 1.6 GTX, Electra 5S Bullet, and 500 Machismo. I am trying to simplify that down and have sold the CRV, Palio and the Electra, and bought the i 20 and the Spark. I will be looking for the Gypsy to replace the Pajero, once it goes. My garage will then be the i20, Spark, Gypsy and the 500. The reasons for the 4x4 downsize are in the Pajero LT review here on the site.

Last edited by Sawyer : 24th July 2009 at 16:18.
Old 24th July 2009, 16:40   #29
Senior - BHPian

its better to buy a used gypsy rather than a brand new one (thats my personal view).

go for a 2-3 year old gypsy! MG413W MPFI
Old 25th July 2009, 01:13   #30
Senior - BHPian

Actually if you want off road ability as well as good ride quality for 'on road' touring ability, then the one to go for is the Gurkha which incidently is also made in your backyard.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks