Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2009, 12:19   #1

Planning to buy a New Tucson - Need advice

Hi all, I am planning to buy an SUV - and would mostly go for a brand new Tucson. I have also gone through the various discussions that T-BHP has had on this. However, the one thing that I wish to have addressed is vis-a-vis the phasing out of the Tucson. Would it be worth buying considering that it may be phased out soon.

I like the tucson specifically because of its rugged look - seems like it is capable of handling much more than the GV or CRV - and does not occupy too much space either.

I guess at a time there could be 7 people traveling in the car - including two kids (who can possibly fit in at the back with appropriate modifications and an open back door window).

I dont really like the Endy since its to too huge for my taste. Possibly a captiva could do the trick. The only downside for Tucson then would be the fact that currently it is not the thrust area car from a marketing perspective for Hyundai. Neither is it likely to be with the Santa Fe coming in. But I dont really want to wait for long.

Suggestions are welcome.
Old 27th July 2009, 13:01   #2
Senior - BHPian

PM drivealot, based in Pune, he has owned a Tuscon for some time now. Maybe he can give you lots of ownership experience.
Old 27th July 2009, 13:19   #3
Senior - BHPian

You cannot have 7 people sitting in a tucson. It is stictly a 5 seater. Please dont think of adding jump seats in the boot space it is extremely unsafe. Your only option as of now is the captiva(3rd row seats are not that great). Otherwise wait for the fortuner; but hen you may not like it because it is bigger than a tucson and captiva; almost as big as the endy which you dint like in the first place.
Old 27th July 2009, 13:27   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek dutta View Post
I like the tucson specifically because of its rugged look - seems like it is capable of handling much more than the GV or CRV - and does not occupy too much space either.
GV is more capable than Tucson because GV has "4L lock" which Tucson doesn't. That said, Tucson might be good enough for your needs and you may not need better off-roading capability of GV.

TBHPian anandpadhye also has Tucson, you could contact him as well.

Quote:
I guess at a time there could be 7 people traveling in the car - including two kids (who can possibly fit in at the back with appropriate modifications and an open back door window).
Please don't do that. It isn't safe unless you plan to install a proper seat with seatbelts.

I think Captiva fits your need to a T. IMO, it looks much better than Tucson but then looks are subjective. Fortuner is another option which is going to release next month but going by your preference of not so large vehicles, it won't be suitable for you.

So, you should check out Captiva. Way better option than Tucson if you are considering seating 7 in your car.
Old 27th July 2009, 13:34   #5
BHPian

Captiva and then Fortuner is being launched in August!

Do not buy Tucson. My friend is having lots of issues with it.
Old 27th July 2009, 13:50   #6
Senior - BHPian

Tuscon just doesnt make any sense at this point in time.... Captiva is a far better buy and seats 7 as well.
Old 27th July 2009, 13:55   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

I agree with @hondadude.

Tucson is strictly 5 seater (thought very comfortable for 5). The boot is small and the floor is too high to mount any seats - it will be unsafe and uncomfortable for the 6'th and 7'th occupant.

Offroading - Tucson has a working 4WD but that's not sufficient for real offroading. There is no 4L and you can not lock the front and rear differentials (of course, GV also has open diffs in front and rear), so it all depends on how serious offroading you have in mind.

On the road, Tucson is a pleasure to drive.

On rough roads, Tucson gives you the freedom to cruise (while other cars are crawling), however steering is very live (if that's the right terminology) and will give some kickbacks on the rough...

For my ownership experience, you can refer to:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...-begins-4.html
Old 27th July 2009, 15:07   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondadude View Post
GV is more capable than Tucson because GV has "4L lock" which Tucson doesn't. That said, Tucson might be good enough for your needs and you may not need better off-roading capability of GV.
however, GV is in petrol only - while I may think this makes a difference and I dont know much, does it actually make a difference?

Quote:
Do not buy Tucson. My friend is having lots of issues with it.
Intrigued by this. What kind of issues. From what I read of anandpadhye's experience, it seems to be a dream.

I am a little apprehensive cos this is my first expensive (beyond 15 lac) car/SUV. I dont want to go too wrong with it - plus I need an SUV with reasonable offroading capabilities (farms, mountain roads with ice, etc.)
Old 27th July 2009, 15:19   #9
Senior - BHPian

Pls don't be in a hurry.Test drive the captiva & see.it has enormous amount torque 320nm@2000 rpm(good for city drive as well) 150ps@4000rpm.
And also wait for Fortuner which is going to be launched in September,than make your decision
If u are so lean towards it,I suggest you a used Tuscon instead of a new one.

Last edited by Ramsagar : 27th July 2009 at 15:20.
Old 27th July 2009, 18:05   #10
BHPian

Besides, IMHO the Tucson is overpriced in India. In the UAE, cost of the base model (petrol, 4x2, manual) used to be Dhs. 49K before the recession started.

Here the Tucson owners I know are happy and satisfied as it is a VFM SUV. I have not heard of any issues from them.

But, there in India, if it is above 15 lacs, you should definitely think hard and listen to what other Tucson owners and our BHP'ns have to say.
Old 27th July 2009, 18:23   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The Tucson is a wonderfully balanced offroader (ride & handling) and comes with a cracker of a diesel engine. Sadly, Hyundai's problems in selling cars worth 10 lakhs+ have hitten this competent soft-roader as well.

I agree with the others though. Wait for the Fortuner whose launch is just around the corner.
Old 27th July 2009, 18:48   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I dont really like the Endy since its to too huge for my taste.
If you need to carry 7 people, you have to live with huge :-). Anybody in rear with back window open is a recipe for disaster in case of getting rear-ended.

and don't forget the luggage for a long drive.

you might consider tata safari or similar.
Old 27th July 2009, 19:30   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
If you need to carry 7 people, you have to live with huge :-). Anybody in rear with back window open is a recipe for disaster in case of getting rear-ended.

and don't forget the luggage for a long drive.

you might consider tata safari or similar.
Or the Scorpio.

If you are looking for a 7 seater SUV, I think apart from the Fortuner that is coming soon, you can also look at the Outlander and Monteiro.
Old 27th July 2009, 19:38   #14

Alright. So basically, the vote seems to be in favour of wait. It also is worthwhile to mention that Fortuner is likely to break the 20 lac barrier. In which case, one may even think about going for the Pajero.

Incidentally, all cars would suffer from the difference in price between imported cars in India and those that are available in offshore markets - because of the customs duty - hence the arbitrage in India and abroad is likely to remain.

On the risk of making this another GV versus Tucson debate, I lean towards the Tucson (having TDed both) since it has better gear shift, more space and clearance, and most of all diesel engine (with a lot of spunk). Do the current owners of Tucson / GV have a take on this?

On the downside though, I heard that the CRDI is not very well suited for India owing to the diesel quality. Is there any truth in this?

I am not sure whether there is any merit in waiting though, since the Fortuner is going to be the same length as the Innova (same platform?), and there is nothing else on the horizon. Pity, we in India are a deprived bunch indeed.

I also TDed the Pajero - extremely sluggish for city driving (I cant afford to buy two separate cars now!!). So whats it going to be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Or the Scorpio.

If you are looking for a 7 seater SUV, I think apart from the Fortuner that is coming soon, you can also look at the Outlander and Monteiro.
Already have a scorpio!! Though its at hometown. Outlander is petrol again. Didnt check out the Monteiro beyond its price tag. Slightly beyond my budget. Though if I want to stretch it, I may actually go for it. Confused!!
Old 27th July 2009, 20:40   #15
Senior - BHPian

Why not consider the Captiva? I really do think it's your best bet. Great looking, seats seven, pleasant interiors and diesel economy. At 4.6m long, it sits between the Tucson / GV and the Endeavour perfectly in terms of exterior dimensions.

And atleast in urban markets, it has sold decently well, definitely exceeding the expectations a typical Team-BHPian might have of a 20-lakh GM product.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 27th July 2009 at 20:41.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks