Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2009, 14:58   #1

Looking for assistance on modifications for Mahindra Scorpio Mhawk 2WD

Hi,

This is my first post, spare me if i am wrong any where.

I am looking to mod my Scorpio Mhawk with additional things as follows:

(*) Air intake Snorkel like installed in Lohiya's scorpio. ( i had come across make your own snorkel at this portal some time back, but i am looking for ready to fit bolt on kit like safari snorkel (www.safarisnorkel.com), ARF Snorkel etc.

(*) Body / suspension lift kit bolt on type ( i intend to lift height by around 3 inch)

(*) Can additional RPM Meter with shift light be installed in diesel vehicle like scorpio.

(*) Where in India is good supplier shop of SUV accessories.

Hope to get assistance.

Ashish
Old 29th July 2009, 18:42   #2
Senior - BHPian

hi ashish, welcome to T-BHP. there are a lot of scorpio owners here to help you out. visit this thread too:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...their-suv.html

regarding your query:
all the additional fitments you have mentioned will void your warranty. i am aure you are aware of that.

1) why do you want to lift the scorpio further? it will increase the body roll to untolerable levels.

2) RPM meter can be installed but my opinion is that these meters suit sporty sedans & not hefty SUVs!

the air snorkel & raising ride height indicates you wanna off road in this one whereas the RPM meter indicates you are a racer. which one is right?
Old 29th July 2009, 18:54   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
2) RPM meter can be installed but my opinion is that these meters suit sporty sedans & not hefty SUVs!

the air snorkel & raising ride height indicates you wanna off road in this one whereas the RPM meter indicates you are a racer. which one is right?
A little OT:

An RPM meter can be used to improve ones driving style to suit both track racing as well as Off road driving if one realises how to understand and use the RPM meter.

An RPM meter is not restricted to sporty sedans alone!
Old 29th July 2009, 20:30   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
A little OT:

An RPM meter can be used to improve ones driving style to suit both track racing as well as Off road driving if one realises how to understand and use the RPM meter.

An RPM meter is not restricted to sporty sedans alone!
for that purpose, the scorpio (and almost every car) has a rpm meter/tachometer in the instrument console as standard, you dont need a seperate meter for that!

what i meant was the "in-your-face" meters (rpm/boost/oil/temp/etc.) installed on the A pillar or on the dashboard dont suit SUVs.
Old 30th July 2009, 09:51   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashish_agrawal View Post
Air intake Snorkel like installed in Lohiya's scorpio.
Very easy to implement, but the real question is : WHY? Your Mhawk is a 2WD and thus, not an offroader at all. Is it only for the looks? Go ahead if you really want one. One advantage will be that your engine is sucking in cooler air. Search through the 4x4 forum.....lots of pictures + content on snorkel installs.

Quote:
Body / suspension lift kit bolt on type ( i intend to lift height by around 3 inch)
Do NOT raise the Scorpio. It will increase your body roll as well as your chances of toppling. At the most, though I still don't recommend it, upgrade your tyres to a larger (slightly taller) size. Must read thread.

Quote:
Can additional RPM Meter with shift light be installed in diesel vehicle like scorpio.
RPM meters with shift lights are better suited to petrol cars, especially the high revving kind (Honda Vtecs for instance). The Scorpio isn't a drag car. With modern diesels, there isn't a point in revving them too much...you'd rather ride the torque and upshift much earlier (2,500 / 3,000 / 4,000 rpm depending on the car). Plus, you'd be hitting the shift light far more often in a diesel than a petrol. I can tell you this will be very annoying.

Quote:
(*) Where in India is good supplier shop of SUV accessories.
Please search through the forum.

Though you haven't mentioned it, here are three modifications that you can consider for the MHawk:

1. A set of meaty alloy wheels

2. High quality tyres (Michelin LTX for instance)

3. A diesel power box (will bump up your power by atleast 15 BHP).
Old 30th July 2009, 12:57   #6
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Welcome to Team Bhp Ashish. I agree with the guru's on top. Why not start with some pics of your ride ? Dive into the scorpio thread (link in raj's post above) and participate for a bit before deciding on what you want to do?
Old 31st July 2009, 13:09   #7

My liking is monster trucks & related techy modifications, i am not exactly the offroading one but an onroad cruser. Coming to the fact that my Scorpio has crossed 1 year by now and is purely an experimental vehicle. I am not the kind looking only for reliable modifications but more on the monster feel. Frankly i am touched by Lohiya’s work on his scorpio.
I already have the basic installed in my car as under:
(*)16” alloys with Yokohama tyres ( specs shall be posted shortly with Pics)
(*) Pete’s chip
(*) KN&N stock replacement filter as cold air intake systems make more noise.
(*) Bull guard redesigned to accommodate 3 units of 10” Hella Pencil beam Lights. ( i am also planning more beams on the hood like Lohiya’s scorpio)
(*) Spare wheel mounted on real 5th door with reworked Tata Sumo’s support stand as Scorpio’s metal quality is very poor.
(*) Attach on Diesel / Water Tank from old military stock yard on 5th door.
(*) Music system of moderate level like JVC AVX 900, 2 X 1800 Double coil subwoofer, Nakamichi 4 Channel Amplifier etc.

Projects i am keen on implying further:
(*) Suspension lift: so as to increase the overall height & add about 4 inch bigger wheels.
(*) Power winch on the rear part if can source it.
(*) Air Snorkel.

Replies:
NIP, Thanks for the warm welcome & guidance.
GTO, Thanks for the suggestions, further replies as under:

(*) Snorkel: For monster looks “ML”.
(*) Suspension lift: “ML”.
(*) RPM Meter: “ML” adding to it also consider Headers.
(*) Suggested Mods by you: Already implied.
Raj 5004, Meters in Pillars i too agree suits other category of cars, but RPM Meter with shift light don’t look bad either in SUV’s as a thumb rule. Further snorkel surely is for offroading but adds monster touch.
Headers, You are my type, i mean your Avatar of an offroading jeep with driver trying to hold up is grate, for me the days have come that its not just cars to suit your style but humans getting used to them.
Guys pls keep in touch with your valuable feedbacks.
Old 31st July 2009, 13:45   #8
Senior - BHPian

here is some inspiration to dress up a scorpio!
Attached Thumbnails
Looking for assistance on modifications for Mahindra Scorpio Mhawk 2WD-diesel_13.jpg  

Looking for assistance on modifications for Mahindra Scorpio Mhawk 2WD-diesel_15.jpg  

Parm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2009, 13:54   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My liking is monster trucks & related techy modifications, i am not exactly the offroading one but an onroad cruser. Coming to the fact that my Scorpio has crossed 1 year by now and is purely an experimental vehicle. I am not the kind looking only for reliable modifications but more on the monster feel. Frankly i am touched by Lohiya’s work on his scorpio.
I already have the basic installed in my car as under:
(*)16” alloys with Yokohama tyres ( specs shall be posted shortly with Pics)
(*) Pete’s chip
(*) KN&N stock replacement filter as cold air intake systems make more noise.
(*) Bull guard redesigned to accommodate 3 units of 10” Hella Pencil beam Lights. ( i am also planning more beams on the hood like Lohiya’s scorpio)
(*) Spare wheel mounted on real 5th door with reworked Tata Sumo’s support stand as Scorpio’s metal quality is very poor.
(*) Attach on Diesel / Water Tank from old military stock yard on 5th door.
(*) Music system of moderate level like JVC AVX 900, 2 X 1800 Double coil subwoofer, Nakamichi 4 Channel Amplifier etc.

Projects i am keen on implying further:
(*) Suspension lift: so as to increase the overall height & add about 4 inch bigger wheels.
(*) Power winch on the rear part if can source it.
(*) Air Snorkel.

Replies:
NIP, Thanks for the warm welcome & guidance.
GTO, Thanks for the suggestions, further replies as under:

(*) Snorkel: For monster looks “ML”.
(*) Suspension lift: “ML”.
(*) RPM Meter: “ML” adding to it also consider Headers.
(*) Suggested Mods by you: Already implied.
Raj 5004, Meters in Pillars i too agree suits other category of cars, but RPM Meter with shift light don’t look bad either in SUV’s as a thumb rule. Further snorkel surely is for offroading but adds monster touch.
Headers, You are my type, i mean your Avatar of an offroading jeep with driver trying to hold up is grate, for me the days have come that its not just cars to suit your style but humans getting used to them.
Guys pls keep in touch with your valuable feedbacks.
you want to all this stuff to a 2WD scorpio? All bling bling and no show?

snorkel just for show off?
lift for what purpose? it will give you a massive body roll that your vehicle might topple over!

lift is good if you want good articulation during offroading, but you wont be doing that?

everything for ML and no fire from the ML? a monster without its real power?

anyway its your vehicle, you asked for advice, see the photos i posted!
Old 31st July 2009, 14:25   #10

Hi, Parm
Thanks for your post, pls don’t take me otherwise, i surely seek your advice, i understand that my mods will surely spoil the vehicle.
The pics for this red Scorpio are grate, is that the indian scorpio or the export one?
[FONT=&quot]Ashish[/FONT]
Old 1st August 2009, 00:30   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi, Parm
Thanks for your post, pls don’t take me otherwise, i surely seek your advice, i understand that my mods will surely spoil the vehicle.
The pics for this red Scorpio are grate, is that the indian scorpio or the export one?
[FONT=&quot]Ashish[/FONT]
Ashish im here to help you for any advice you need, i will help you out in anyway i can and also tell you the negetive and positive side of the modification.

the red scorpio if export version!

see how simple the modifications are to the red scorpio and still it looks awesome!
Old 1st August 2009, 08:26   #12
BHPian

really looks nice - the red one. Ashish - awaiting some snaps. your car sounds lovely.
Old 24th August 2011, 18:26   #13

Re: Looking for assistance on modifications for Mahindra Scorpio Mhawk 2WD

Hey Ashish,
Where did you get the modifications done.
Thanks for your help with the pointers.
Mayank
Old 16th August 2015, 13:02   #14
BHPian

Hi! came across your thread while searching for Scorpio modifications. Can you post pics of what all exterior mods you have done on your Scorp. Even I am based out of Ahmedabad and looking on doing few mods on my Scorpio which is now 3.5 yrs old, so just thought of refreshing it.

Bull bar in the front with two Hella lamps.
Diesel/ Water can mounted on the rear door.
Roof mounted lights.

Can you suggest few reliable places where I can get this done in Ahmedabad.
Old 25th August 2015, 23:16   #15

Hi All,

My Scorpio has 15 inch wheels. Was wondering what would be the effect of upsizing to 16 inches? Will the body roll become extremely unbearable?

Thanks,
Taz.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks