Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2009, 10:49   #16

Merc was my dream car all these years and still it is. However, after reading many comparison reports by eminent auto journalists I feel Audi scores over Merc now. So I would suggest A4. Please let us know your test drive report.
Old 5th August 2009, 10:56   #17
Senior - BHPian

1) If prime focus is on comfort,then its C class above both, BMW and Audi. A4 slots in between BMW and Audi in case of comfort.

2) If I were in your place, I would also look at Camry. Its a bit cheaper than C class but from to the best of my knowledge, it is also a very comfortable car. Space is also not an issue.
Old 5th August 2009, 11:08   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

@humm: I would totally avoid the Mercedes unless there is a serious improvement in their quality levels. I think the A4 would be a nice car, however, if you want a good comfortable executive experience, you should ideally look at a segment lower, at the Superb, Accord. The space and comfort they provide is unmatched by the entry level germans.
Old 5th August 2009, 11:17   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

From your posts, i take it that when you say that you are looking for a comfortable executive experience, it means that you want status attached with the car (So the Superb, Accord, Camry, Teana, etc are all out) and are not very much into the driving part.

For regular drives, all these three cars (audi, bmw and merc) are the same. Every car handles good on our regular city roads with normal city driving.

Agreed the bimmer handles great, but then you are not doing the mumbai pune expressway runs with high frequency and speeds. Trust me, i have done quite a few mumbai pune runs in my friend's C and 3 series and if you drive at approx 150kmph, both handle equally well. At higher speeds, the bimmer has an advantage. But trust me, you don't wanna do that since the cars around you don't have lane discipline.

Service wise, BMW has the best extended warrantee plan. Merc has also come out now with a similar one.
Audi, from what i have heard are terrible at A.S.S. and i know of three new A4s sitting at the workshop for 4 months now due to unavailability of spares.
Having said this, i also know for a fact that Audi is offering a flat 30% discount on the A4. So if you interested, PM me and i will put you across to Audi directly.

In your case, the C 200 compressor would be the best option IMO. Only drawback is rear legroom (when compared to the A4) if the front seats are pushed way back. And this is the only car that squeezes into your budget.
Merc is offering the Sports Package free on diligent bargaining. So insist on that if you go for the merc.

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 5th August 2009 at 11:33. Reason: Typos
Old 5th August 2009, 11:29   #20
Senior - BHPian

If status and parking place at home is not a problem, also consider buying two cars in that price, and going the horses for courses route. For instance, how about a combination of Skoda Superb and Jazz?! Lots of others would come to my mind if I had that money to spend on cars.
Old 5th August 2009, 14:29   #21
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest the opposite. 36lakhs for a 520d ex-showroom?
Old 5th August 2009, 16:00   #22
Senior - BHPian

Dear Humm,
Here we are all car addicts and thus people are hooked onto their choice of cars. Thus I do not think you will get a clear winner.

You have given this forum few details about yourself and the way your ride will be used.

Given that you wish to buy Petrol we assume that this car is not for high mileage but for status, gadgets, smooth ride and quality.

My $0.02

BMW: Only if you will drive yourself, taking corners brings smile that last on the last pothole you bumped into. Ride is nothing to write about.

Audi: Low on status. everyone knows you paid few lacks less, even though you might pimp it to your satisfaction. Saying that I will mention peace of mind and cabin tech from Audi is the best. Ride is sorted out. Negative is you can never enjoy the push from behind (its front wheel drive).

Merc C: I think this will serve you well. Merc owners all over have issues but I think with the new C they have sorted everything. Status boost is still max using three pointed star.

Drive or be driven: all the cars on India roads have to be self tested particularly for your commute everyday.

All the best! and let us know your choice and why you finalized it.
Old 5th August 2009, 17:19   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

@Sniper: I am quite surprised you say that Audi is low on status.
IMO, it is Mercedes that is losing status quickly. Many people I know who can afford such cars, are willing to pay extra and get the new 7, 5, etc over an equivalent Mercedes. With their new designs, Audi too is not far behind, and people know it is an expensive car and at times give it more respect than Mercs. I have seen this in some hotels, where an Audi would be given a better parking spot than a Mercedes.
Also, Audi is actually more expensive than Mercedes and BMW, atleast for the A4 and A6.
Old 5th August 2009, 21:05   #24
Senior - BHPian

You can have quattro on every Audi if you spec it up. So it's not just FWD. And Audi's FWD is actually pretty sorted on the driving front.
Old 5th August 2009, 21:51   #25

My suggestion

My two cents . What I would do is get a Fortuner and use the money saved in something that appreciates rather than depriciates, and its diesel and im sure more comfortable than any of the cars listed so far.

just my thoughts.
Old 5th August 2009, 22:10   #26
Senior - BHPian

Sorry for the double post.

@GTO/abhinav : Does the V6 take regular 91RON petrol? It says so in the online brochure, but I want to know if you guys have heard anything officially.
Old 5th August 2009, 22:33   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Having said this, i also know for a fact that Audi is offering a flat 30% discount on the A4. So if you interested, PM me and i will put you across to Audi directly.
Seriously? On the new A4? That's unbelievable. Those kinda discounts were hardly around when the old A4 was being phased out.

You probably mean only the 3.2 V6 don't you.
Old 5th August 2009, 23:23   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post

Audi, from what i have heard are terrible at A.S.S. and i know of three new A4s sitting at the workshop for 4 months now due to unavailability of spares.
Are you serious about this 30% off on the Audi A4....that would mean a saving of at-least 10 lacs.

Can you please PM me the details/ contact at Audi for this ?
Old 5th August 2009, 23:45   #29
Senior - BHPian

@sniper: IMO, audi has more status than the merc - it's hard to explain, but to me it seems that the merc has become too common and doesn't command the exclusivity of the audi. Personally I also feel that the audi is put together more solidly than the merc and interiors have been designed more tastefully.
Old 5th August 2009, 23:48   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
Sorry for the double post.

@GTO/abhinav : Does the V6 take regular 91RON petrol? It says so in the online brochure, but I want to know if you guys have heard anything officially.
you talking about the 3.2fsi? yeah it does. and it works perfectly on it. a friend of mine has a 3.2fsi a6 and its only been running on 91 octane petrol.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks