Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2009, 18:09   #61
BHPian

I only posting my heresay about CRV. I have no clue if it is true or not.
1. FE is very low (4 or 5kmpl i believe as i have heard)
2. It has auto 4WD mechanism - which tends to get engaged even when u go over small roadhumps or broken tarmac. And it affects overall ride quality and FE.

Not sure if any of this is true or not - but just what comes to mind when i think
of CRV.

But sure, hearing from experts on these two points will enlighten me - not that I am in market for a car though..
Old 26th August 2009, 18:49   #62
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
CRV gives decent mileage for its class/size; right Jaggu?
Previous model Crv that we have returns anything between 7-10 kms inside BLR city, on highway around 10-12. This is manual version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-BoleroBoy View Post
1. FE is very low (4 or 5kmpl i believe as i have heard)
2. It has auto 4WD mechanism - which tends to get engaged even when u go over small roadhumps or broken tarmac. And it affects overall ride quality and FE.
1) Not that bad even for auto tranny.
2) This has nothing to do with tranny, more to do with suspension set up and tall stance.
Old 26th August 2009, 18:57   #63
Senior - BHPian

I own a CRV 2.0 L - Been driving it for the last 1.5 years. I travel on very bad roads and my dad has a bad knee, hence we opted for this car over the sedans. (namely: the New Accord)

I test drove the Captiva before finalizing the CR-V but my dad did not like the back seat and hence rejected it.

Side Note: The CR-V is NOT an SUV. It is a normal car for which the suspension is raised.

1. How is the comfort level for the Rear Passenger? My mom suffers from a back problem she needs good leg space and comfort levels!

The Good: The space / legroom is fantastic. More than I have ever seen in any car. The rear seats incline and its easy to find a comfortable position. Climbing in and out for elderly people is easy thanks to wide opening doors and perfect seat height.

The Bad: The rear ride is harsh on bad roads, at low speeds. At speeds increase, the car comes into its element and eats up bumps.

2. How is the handling & comfort at Top speeds like 140-170 kmph? Does it goto that speeds? Whats the highest comfortable speed with CRV users?

I have done personally done 160 kmph, then ran out of road and courage. The car is solid at that speed and does not have any body roll like other SUVs.

3. How is the breaking performance when we talk that speed levels?

Fantastic. I have had to do emergency braking only once so far (120 to 0 kmph) , and the car stopped in 80 % of the distance that I expected it to.

4. Now I see it comes with integrated MP3 player with controls on the steering, I am looking to install a DVD player with Screen at the front and 2 screens at the headrests respectively.

Can I upgrade without causing warranty issues? Will the new system work with steering mounted controls?

All that you stated above is possible, DVD, Steering Controls, External Screens, and I have partially done the same to my car. I ll be posting a thread about this in detail in a day or two.

5. 2.0 Engine or 2.4 Engine?

I have a 2.0 L. Giving me 7.5 to 8.5 kmpl consistantly in Kolkata-Howrah traffic, with 100 % A/c.

6. Really worth my hard earned money? Price tag: 20lac-25lac.

Thats relative. I paid 18.5 lac for mine when I bought it.

7. Is the CRV something I drive with peace of mind and comfort?

Yes. 1.5 years into the ownership, so far, I am 100% satisfied. Honda service (scheduled service) is not too expensive and the everything in the car works like clockwork. The CR-V is 100% imported from Japan, and it shows. I have driven it in conditions you cannot imagine and 1.5 years on, there is not a single squeak/noise in the car. *touch wood*

All that said, Test Drive the Fortuner before you finalize.

Last edited by AbhiJ : 26th August 2009 at 19:05.
Old 26th August 2009, 19:41   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

One thing to keep in mind is that most of these cars like CRV/Accord/Captiva/Camry etc are made for Western Markets where very few people use chauffers/drivers for these cars. Hence more effort it made to make the front seats more comfortable than the rear seats. In the west the chauffer driven cars are generally the big sedans like the Lexus LS, Merc S-Class, BMW 7 Series, Lincoln, Caddilac DTS etc. These are the ones with the most comfy rear seats.

Basically with a 20 lakh budget most imports will have cramped rear seats. If rear seat comfort if of supreme importance consider the Tata Safari.
Old 26th August 2009, 19:51   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humm View Post
Toyota Altis - Again Rear Leg space issue and comfort levels..

7. Is the CRV something I drive with peace of mind and comfort?

.. sorry for so many questions..
Altis (or at least the Corollla) which I own can be accused of many things, but lack of comfort would perhaps be not on that list.

CRV is something you can own and drive with peace of mind and comfort (mental). Whether it will give rear seat physical comfort, there may be relatively better options at lesser price/same price. If comfort is paramount, then CRV would perhaps be not on top (disclaimer: have not sat in a CRV but have heard to make that statement). On other points, CRV is absolutely fine.

Suggest try all shortlisted cars for a TD over smooth/broken roads with your mother in the back seat. You would then be able to judge which involves the least compromise.
Old 26th August 2009, 20:58   #66
BHPian

AbhiJ I will be waiting for your that post.

Btw what the current exact price of the CRV 2.0?

I decided to test drive a lot of cars/suv's very soon.
Old 26th August 2009, 21:26   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humm View Post
Btw what the current exact price of the CRV 2.0?

I decided to test drive a lot of cars/suv's very soon.
No idea about the current price.. I got mine for 18.5 on road...

Test driving is the best way out. Make sure you have your mom on the back seat so you she can give her opinion..
Old 31st August 2009, 16:38   #68
Senior - BHPian

Umm, you eliminated the Civic and the Altis for poor leg room? The Altis is not comfortable?!? What did you test drive? Crashed/total loss cars? You're gonna have to get a 5/A6/E to get close to that kind of legroom with the Germans.

Once you get into SUV territory, you still need to be careful. There are big huge SUVs in the market with piss poor legroom. Test drive them all and decide.

Last edited by ImmortalZ : 31st August 2009 at 16:40.
Old 31st August 2009, 22:22   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post

Once you get into SUV territory, you still need to be careful. There are big huge SUVs in the market with piss poor legroom. Test drive them all and decide.
Thats one advantage with the CR-V. Most SUV's are 7 seaters, hence legroom get squeezed. CR-V only seats 5. So the extra space goes to the enourmous boot and legroom.

Wasteful and unpractical, but the legroom is fantastic.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks