Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2009, 20:40   #1
Senior - BHPian

Looking to invest in a Mahindra Jeep

Hello all you 4X4 lovers. I have been a biker for these many years and finally, am thinking of investing in a car. Not interested in the small hatchbacks and don't have money to get the larger ones. Can't really afford a second hand car either. Well, to tell you the truth, I take a LOT of time to come to decisions of this kind and do a whole LOT of research before I come to a decision.
So this is kinda my first step towards the research. I am interested in the Mahindra Jeeps (no idea on the model nos etal but know that the ones I like are the soft-top ones). I saw a second(?) hand one at a used car outlet here in Bangalore and the dealer said it is a 1995 model. If I remember correctly, it was not soft-top but hard-top. Does this model come in both versions? I have absolutely no idea about cars so didn't even know what to look for in this vehicle. All I did was look under at the chassis and see if there is any major oil-leak or if the chassis seems bent out of proportion. Guess this comes from owning a Bullet for some years - what with the oil leaks and all
The dealer quoted 1.5 lakhs. Does that seem like a good price to be quoted. If so, I will take the next step and go see the vehicle and get more details and read up more on the other threads. But hope no one picks it up before me.
Old 11th August 2009, 22:49   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hi Naveen,

Buying a 4x4 jeep as a first car that will be a point to point commute vehicle is not exactly an advisable or smart decision.

If you are looking to buy a jeep that you will use only for OTR meets then its ok, but also will require you to speed many of your weekends to get things done as you want.

Ideally if you are a non-techie on automotive aspects, it is suggested you buy a used hatchback ( read M800/Alto/Santro) drive it around a couple of years get to know the intricacies of maintaining a vehicle and then move up the ladder.

My 2 Paisa
Old 11th August 2009, 23:26   #3
BHPian

It sounds like you chanced upon a MM540 with a Roplas hard top. This jeep is quite liveable as a daily drive (if its a short one) !! If its a 4 wheel drive then you also got yourself a weekend demon,...what kind you ask?! For this you will have to get in touch with either MM440 or Khan_sultan !!!
Old 12th August 2009, 00:44   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Hi Naveen,

Buying a 4x4 jeep as a first car that will be a point to point commute vehicle is not exactly an advisable or smart decision.

If you are looking to buy a jeep that you will use only for OTR meets then its ok, but also will require you to speed many of your weekends to get things done as you want.

Ideally if you are a non-techie on automotive aspects, it is suggested you buy a used hatchback ( read M800/Alto/Santro) drive it around a couple of years get to know the intricacies of maintaining a vehicle and then move up the ladder.

My 2 Paisa
Naveen look no further then this answer! its the first answer you got which is the perfect reply to your question about owning a MM 540/550!

+1 to you MileCruncher for your 2 paisa!
Old 12th August 2009, 19:49   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Ideally if you are a non-techie on automotive aspects, it is suggested you buy a used hatchback drive it around a couple of years get to know the intricacies of maintaining a vehicle and then move up the ladder.
Naveen says he's been using a Bullet for a few years, so that part's already taken care of.
Old 12th August 2009, 19:56   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edsel Rulez! View Post
Naveen says he's been using a Bullet for a few years, so that part's already taken care of.
Maintaning a bike and maintaining a car are two quite different things. I had 3 RD 350's, 1 P180 & 1 KB4s before I bought my first car which was 2.5 Yrs old when I got her in and inspite of being a automobile engineer working in a automotive company, it took me some getting used to. M&Ms have their own quirk, the older the higher. Plus a 4x4 heritage of which is unknown. This is like a Pandora's Box.

Thats why there is a learning curve and it is better to follow it rather than skipping phases. But then enough said. This is what I would have done. But then each one to his/her own.
Old 12th August 2009, 19:56   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hahahahaah

But well, I am not that technologically challenged with machines and know quite a bit and ready to learn a lot. But still thanks for the inputs guys, I think you have indeed given me some valuable advise.

But, I will not be using the Jeep as a commuting vehicle. It will be only for weekend drives and I am planning to get it done up in the long run. But I believe that buying a Jeep as one's first car is not the best idea. But seriously, since I will be driving only weekends and all, is it hard to learn real driving with this vehicle.
If this is fine, is the quoted price a decent price. I don't have too much money to burn but want to pick up a good Jeep when I get the chance.
Old 12th August 2009, 20:00   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Hahahahaah

But well, I am not that technologically challenged with machines and know quite a bit and ready to learn a lot. But still thanks for the inputs guys, I think you have indeed given me some valuable advise.

But, I will not be using the Jeep as a commuting vehicle. It will be only for weekend drives and I am planning to get it done up in the long run. But I believe that buying a Jeep as one's first car is not the best idea. But seriously, since I will be driving only weekends and all, is it hard to learn real driving with this vehicle.
If this is fine, is the quoted price a decent price. I don't have too much money to burn but want to pick up a good Jeep when I get the chance.
Learning driving in a Jeep .

I don't think people would be able comment much on the price unless more info is thrown in, but by way of thumb rule, whatever price you buy it on, keep aside about 1-1.5 lac to spend on the vehicle to get it properly as a weekend OTR vehicle.

Cheers
Old 12th August 2009, 20:54   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Learning driving in a Jeep
Why is this such a bad idea? Many (indeed, most) people claim the Amby makes an excellent learning vehicle because "once you learn to drive it you can drive anything". So why not a jeep? (I don't subscribe to this view myself, but it seems to be very popular.)
Old 13th August 2009, 17:02   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Why is this such a bad idea? Many (indeed, most) people claim the Amby makes an excellent learning vehicle because "once you learn to drive it you can drive anything". So why not a jeep? (I don't subscribe to this view myself, but it seems to be very popular.)
I myself learned driving on a Jeep, but when we got a M800, I had to unlearn and start from scratch.
Old 13th August 2009, 20:52   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Hello all you 4X4 lovers. I have been a biker for these many years and finally, am thinking of investing in a car. Not interested in the small hatchbacks and don't have money to get the larger ones. Can't really afford a second hand car either. Well, to tell you the truth, I take a LOT of time to come to decisions of this kind and do a whole LOT of research before I come to a decision.
So this is kinda my first step towards the research. I am interested in the Mahindra Jeeps (no idea on the model nos etal but know that the ones I like are the soft-top ones). I saw a second(?) hand one at a used car outlet here in Bangalore and the dealer said it is a 1995 model. If I remember correctly, it was not soft-top but hard-top. Does this model come in both versions? I have absolutely no idea about cars so didn't even know what to look for in this vehicle. All I did was look under at the chassis and see if there is any major oil-leak or if the chassis seems bent out of proportion. Guess this comes from owning a Bullet for some years - what with the oil leaks and all
The dealer quoted 1.5 lakhs. Does that seem like a good price to be quoted. If so, I will take the next step and go see the vehicle and get more details and read up more on the other threads. But hope no one picks it up before me.

Well you need to first see how much the car has done.Second look out for corroded areasspecially under the body take a mech along if neccesary.Ask the guy to give you ride in the car and see if the car has any major problem such as,problm in changing gears,stalling,etc.It depened on what the condition of this car is and then we could give you a fare idea of how much it would be worth.Jeeps are fun to drive cars and no hard and fast rule that you are not supposed to drive a 4x4 on a daily basis.Like most jeeps it should has a transferce case gear box and you could disengage the four wheel drive when you don't need it.This would help you save fuel.But as i said take a mechanic along to check the car out and ask the mechanic to give you a rough estimate.
Hope it was helpful.Looking forward to seing it wioth you soon.
Old 14th August 2009, 13:27   #12
NIP
Senior - BHPian

I learnt driving in an original peugeot MM540 more than 20 yrs ago. Dont understand why this cant be a first vehicle.
Old 14th August 2009, 13:39   #13
BANNED

Me too. I learnt driving on a Tempo Trax and my brother learnt on a DCM Toyota LCV.
Old 14th August 2009, 15:10   #14
BHPian

@naveenroy : I think its not a bad idea to invest in a Mahindra as a 1st car . But if you have a limited budget for this then its not a good idea. When you are buying M&M's and that too a 2nd hand vehicle, you have to make sure that you have some extra cash with you to get it conditioned. Though everything looks fine from outside there will be something or the other that will have to be worked on to get it in top notch condition.

I am not against learning to drive in a Jeep or 4X4 as i myself learnt in a Mahindra Armada but the feel is completely different when u step onto other cars after driving these 4X4's.
Old 17th August 2009, 11:54   #15
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

naveen - while your idea is a good one please be very careful before putting cash down for an used or second hand/ third/ fourth hand Mahindra Jeep.

it makes me go back to when I started in my first job donkeys years ago and even I desperately wanted an MM540 for my regular daily commute. I asked my dad to get me one from the tea estate company that he was with or from some other source. The words that came back to me just now was my dad's advice about second hand diesel jeeps and the way they are generally kept by most people who buy them. He was always in favour of buying them brand new, but obviously on my first paycheques there was no way! there werent even these easy loans available at that time so no-go for me!

Intrinsically they are indestructible but you never know how the previous owners have driven them. Most of these dont have any kind of historical data attached, so it is well worth doing your research before you plonk cash on the table.

Mahindra jeeps are real work horses and you wont regret the buy if you like jeeps. but just be wary and have it thoroughly checked out by a good mechanic or authorized Mahindra dealer workshop by giving the chassis and engine numbers, and do as much homework as possible before buying.

Best to go to India Garage and SKS Auto - the guys there know their jeeps really well because most of them are old hands who have seen and worked with the various generations of Mahindra jeeps for years together.

All the best and let us know when you find the right jeep.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 17th August 2009 at 11:58.

Most Viewed