Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2005, 06:01   #16
BHPian

Hey Devil: You name probably suggests that you really love driving around an SUV SUV's for us need to be big, beastly, powerful, great to drive on and off road and one's in which we would like to be seen young and comfortable.

Like you, I like the looks of the Endeavour toooo! It looks like a Rottweiler strong and Majestic. Then I decided yup I am interested in trying out the vehicle so here goes....I get the keys start the beast and Step on the GAS...As soon as I did this, the Rottweiler turned into a Chinese Pug and started to hop around much to the dismay of my motivation and feelings of cruising on the Tarmac...

Hope you get the message
Old 2nd July 2005, 16:57   #17
BHPian

well, thanx a lot everybody for all ur opinions!

i have decided i will go for the TUCSON!
i have my first pref. as the Black, but in case if that color will take too long to come (they saying it might take 3-4 weeks after placing order, coz its to come from Korea!) then i might go for the BLUE color.

once i buy it, will post my FR on it soon!

in the mean time, do let me know more of ur opinions on it. thanx all

@ NISHANT: yea dude, u got me rite i do love huge beasty vehicles, and am a die hard fan of HUMMER! but then, when i pay 16.5lk on a car, i expect it to move on its own when i press down the accelerator! so yea,,for now, i will settle for a less beasty SUV.
Old 2nd July 2005, 17:20   #18
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Lucky you, Insane Devil. I am dying to own a Common Rail diesel car.

Choice well made.

GTO
Old 2nd July 2005, 23:06   #19
BHPian

decided on the Black color,
will be goin on monday to talk to the manager of one of the dealers for what best offer he could give me,(on the fone he did tell me that discount isnt possible, but could work out something on the accessories.) lets see...
Old 4th July 2005, 00:57   #20
BHPian

ford ...

dude wat r u waiting for the decision is so easy
pick up the ford the car is an overall beauty
yes the car has stopped production all over
but note the ford holds more resale value
over the tuscon plus on mumbai roads a
fwd suv aint have much hold on the road
so i suggest to go in for the ford..
Old 4th July 2005, 02:07   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoLyn
dude wat r u waiting for the decision is so easy
pick up the ford the car is an overall beauty
yes the car has stopped production all over
but note the ford holds more resale value
over the tuscon plus on mumbai roads a
fwd suv aint have much hold on the road
so i suggest to go in for the ford..
Sorry to inform you, Fords have a poor resale value compared to others.
U can pick up a 2000 Ikon ZXI for lsimilar price as a wagon R VXI.
Also you cannot judge the resale value of the Tucson as there are hardly any on road , so zero in the used car market.
The Tucson is a much refined car and returns much better FE compared to the Ford.
Old 4th July 2005, 11:51   #22
Senior - BHPian

Man Indian SUV's are also built to last. Be Indian and buy Indian

ever given a thought for mahindra scorpio crde??

Indian effort,crdi engine, best prices, and looks favour this suv

or the soon to release tata safari???

tata service centers , safari looks, interiors , best comfort you can find in a car and cheaper than tucson.

I believe safari crdi will be close to the performance of the tucson.

The price here plays a big factor.why? well

save the money and fill your suv boot with amps and woofers
Old 4th July 2005, 14:27   #23
BHPian

hey there Devarshi84, i surely have given great great thoughts to the Scorpio CDRe, and finally opted to not go for it because, I already have a Scorpio from past 2 years!

its a great vehicle, no doubt, and the CRDE engine is superb, but then obviously not as good as the Tucson's. and i need a change of a car, wanted to upgrade to something more better. I luv my scorpio, its no doubt a super car!.

The dealers here r taking ages to get me a Black one, so planning for the Dark Blue color. its also lookin real nice, and they got one ready rite now. they got a black, but its got some scratches which they will paint n give me. so i opted out the black, and going now to their workshop to inspect the blue one.
if all goes well, in a couple of days i shud have my Tuc!

will keep u all updated on how the process goes.
Old 4th July 2005, 20:46   #24
Senior - BHPian

then how about going for the crdx safari. It ought to be out soon within a max of 2 months. What I am trying to suggest is just that an Indian attempt is as worthy as other car international car manufacturers. I had read in an article some time ago that the new safari due soon has so many new revisions that it should have most of the glitches removed.

Yeah it may not be as powerful as tucson but it is cheaper too. And from what I have heard safari has the best comfort available in an suv. looks also no compromise. So if you can wait for around two months I suggest you atleast wait for the safari to debut.

Here are some details I picked up from overdrive

The performance of course can be attributed to the new variant sporting a higher capacity engine measuring 2.2 litres against 2.0-litre powering the current diesel Safari range. But most significantly the engine now employs direct injection through a common rail unit against indirect injection in the latter. The common rail unit is being supplied by Delphi.

The higher capacity turbocharged engine, which is built around the same engine block as that of the 2.0-litre IDI powerplant, develops a much fatter and flatter torque curve. The max power rating has been improved upon as well and we expect the new engine to develop close to 115PS. These improvements in power and torque will translate into a much better responding Safari to begin with thanks to better grunt available to her over a much wider spread in the rev range.

Besides new engine, the Safari also gets more attractive 16in wheels shod with 235/70 tyres in a bid to improve the SUV's dynamics. It now becomes only the second production utility vehicle in the country to run 16in wheels following in the footsteps of the Scorpio. However against the Scorpio's JK Tyre Elanzo, Tata Motors has opted for Bridgestone Duelers for its SUV.

A few welcome cosmetic upgrades have also made their way onto the new Safari. The Safari now in its seventh year has hitherto not had a significant face-lift to boast about, with the result it has now started to look dated. Sure, there have been the periodic special editions making their way with new colour schemes, but nothing substantial really.

The changes this time round seem slightly more noticeable. The bumpers for instance, have been revised along with the front grille. The head and tail lamps too have undergone change with the latter now getting the clear lens treatment with jewel effect. The door handles are new as well. The body coloured bumpers and side cladding without doubt add to the looks of the SUV.

Expect a few changes inside the cabin as well. For starters, the rear seat head rests have been borrowed from the Indigo Marina while the instrument clocks seemed to have come from the petrol Safari parts bin. The upholstery is expected to be of higher order considering the new Safari will be pushed more aggressively in export markets. Airbags and ABS will at least be offered as an option here.

With the engine upgrade and the right tweaks Tata Motors surely seems to working in the right direction for the Safari. The sales performance of the SUV, so far has been nothing to write home about. But Tata Motors would certainly be looking to change that with the introduction of the new Safari. Time should tell, and soon.
Old 5th July 2005, 13:37   #25
BHPian

if i tell my dad i want a "tata" vehilcle, he will tell me to rather use an auto for my transportation!

and well, its a fact... atleast with the Tata Safari's and Sierra's and Estate's!

IMHO & Experience... they are of the worst make ever! every part in the vehicle rattles! and the parts are of third grade quality. Tatas should rather stick to their truck building!

now about the latest indica's and indigos, well no comments on that, coz i dont have them and nor have i got familiar with them much to comment on anything... except, they have one of the worst gearboxes! even in a brand new car, i felt the gear levers go around as if they r age olds!

matter of factly, these Imported machines, they really are good stuff! so yea, i am gonna shift to them for now

Devarshi, i really appreciate the writeup u have done on the Safari, but mite, nothing in the world can make me buy a Tata vehicle!

thanx a lot bro!

eNjOy!~
Old 5th July 2005, 22:38   #26
Senior - BHPian

dude,

I have also heard that the weak diesel engine safari sucks. I dont own one personally. But the recent safaris have been much better in quality. especially the petrol safari the build quality is superb. I had a test drive and was impressed by evrything but Fuel efficiency.

It's certainly your decision. Just take a test drive of the petrol safari and decide what improvements the new crdx is coming up with. Btw Tucson is excellent in almost all departments. I just believe Indian cars deserve to sell more. Especially tata has improved quality after they started sending their cars to UK.
Old 6th July 2005, 10:14   #27
BHPian

if its to be an indian car, for me , its the MAHINDRA scorpio anyday! the best pure breed indian car as yet
Old 6th July 2005, 21:12   #28
Senior - BHPian

THis maybe off topic .But I had been to the Autoshow at Delhi last year and the Firodias had some very exotic modified suvs based on their tempo platforms. What are Firodias upto. Are they going to launch any such stuff? I read in autocar that it had a crdi engine.
Old 7th July 2005, 21:21   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Devil
if its to be an indian car, for me , its the MAHINDRA scorpio anyday! the best pure breed indian car as yet
How is it a "pure" breed indian car?
Old 7th July 2005, 22:35   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Devil
hahaha ...here are the fact on the Desi Scorpio

- paints sourced from Japan..
- the diesel mill developed with help from AVL of Austria..
- the petrol motor sourced from Renault..
- lots of interior parts are from the same manufacturer who supplies interior components to Ford ...

ohh one thing that was very Indian about the Scorpio
was the amount of testing done for passenger safety ..
which is NONE !!

Most Viewed